Senior Spotlight Q&A w/Maureen Duffy from Westhampton Beach Senior High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #6 ranked senior on Long Island, Maureen Duffy for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Maureen Duffy is a dedicated Midfielder who is a 6x varsity starter for the Hurricanes and like everybody else, she was robbed from playing last season as a junior due to COVID-19 and wants to treasure every time she ‘gets to play.’ This year she has done that scoring 54 goals and adding 11 assists and has done that her entire career - just take a look at the accolades she’s earned throughout the course of her spectacular career.

The Senior Captain has chosen to attend the University of Virginia because of its grounds, the value of academics, lacrosse coaches & the team, and the overall atmosphere that she's looking for. Let's see how well she'll perform in her college lacrosse years but read below to get a closer look at the Senior Midfielder:

Q&A w/ Maureen Duffy

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): When you found out last year that the season was going to be canceled, what was your initial reaction and how did you deal with it and keep your spirits up?  
Maureen Duffy (MD): When I found out that the spring season was officially canceled last year I was immediately filled with shock. There was a period of time when my teammates and I kept hoping for a season, regardless of how short it might be. To be told that there would be nothing at all was devastating. As upset as I was, my heart broke for the seniors who didn’t get to play their last year of high school lacrosse. I dealt with the cancellation by trying to make myself better and to work on my own game, putting all the free time I had to good use.

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Coach Rose?  
MD: I have played for Coach Rose as a member of the Yellow Jackets team for so many years that I really can't narrow it down to just one! Coach Rose has taught me a great deal and motivated me to be the best player that I can be.

BOTC: Having missed out on playing last year, how much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
MD: Because of the cancellation, our team has put extra value this year into the statement “We Get To”. We are very lucky to have a season and appreciate the opportunity each and every day. Working hard in practice, pushing each other, celebrating wins, building on old friendships, making new friends, screaming songs on bus rides, and our endless amount of pregame pasta parties, impromptu beach dinners, and post-practice breakfasts are cherished more this year than any other. Having been on the Varsity team since 7th grade I know how long and daunting the season can be, this year especially because of the number of games we play in a condensed season. Last year taught me that it can be taken away at any moment so I value and appreciate it now more than ever before. With this newfound respect for the opportunity, we are presented with I am doing my best to instill this appreciation to some of my younger teammates who are on Varsity for the first time.

BOTC: Although you missed last season, how much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
MD: I think knowing this year is the last time I will wear a WHB jersey and play on our home turf field means more than anything to me. I have learned so much over the last 6 years, not only about lacrosse but about the value of relationships on a team and how everyone is an important piece of the puzzle. The team this year is one of my absolute favorites which makes it all the more special to me.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend the University of Virginia, and what other colleges were you considering?
MD: I fell in love with the University of Virginia the second I arrived for my visit. The grounds, the value of academics, the coaches, the lacrosse team, and the overall atmosphere were everything I was looking for. Before committing to Virginia I considered Stanford, Johns Hopkins University, the University of Florida, Stony Brook, and Penn State.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
MD: Before every WHB game our team writes the number above us on our wrist, so I write 11 because I’m playing for the person above me, and on the other wrist everyone writes HHH, this stands for Head, Heart, Hustle.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
MD: My pregame playlist is definitely full of Aboogie and anything my team and I can scream on the bus!.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food? Bacon, egg, and cheese from Hurricane Deli in WHB!
  • Favorite Movie? Talladega Nights
  • Favorite Sports Team? UVA!
  • Favorite Athletes? My brother, Owen Duffy!

See some of Maureen's career athletic accomplishments below: 95.667 GPA, AP Scholar, AP Seminar & Research Certificate Recipient.

WESTHAMPTON BEACH VARSITY LACROSSE
Spring 2019 - Team Captain for Spring 2020-2021, Suffolk County All Division Award, Suffolk County Scholar-Athlete Team, Scored 100th Varsity Point, Named FLG Top 2 Long Island Sophomore.
Spring 2018 - Suffolk County All Division Award, Suffolk County Championship Runner-Up, Suffolk County Scholar-Athlete Team.
Spring 2017 - Suffolk County All Division Award, WHB Midfielder of the Year, Suffolk County Playoff Qualifier, Suffolk County Scholar-Athlete Team.
Spring 2016 - WHB Rookie of the Year, Suffolk County Playoff Qualifier, Suffolk County Scholar-Athlete Team.

WESTHAMPTON BEACH VARSITY WINTER TRACK
Grade 12 - Winter 2020/2021, Team Captain - Modified Season due to Covid Undefeated in the 600 Meters, 4x200 Relay.
Grade 8 to 11 - All-State, New York - 2017/18, All Long Island 1st Team - 2017/18, All-County Section XI - 2017/18 & 2019/20, Suffolk County Champion 4x400 - 2018, New York State Championship 2nd Place - 2018, Suffolk County Small School Champion - 2020, All-League - 2016/2017/2018/2019/2020, Millrose Games, 2nd Place, New Balance National Championship Qualifier, WHB School Record Holder 4x200, 4x400, Sprint Medley Relay.

WESTHAMPTON BEACH VARSITY CROSS COUNTRY
Grade 8 to 11 - Under Armour All American Team - 2017/18/19/20, Team Champions 2017, US Lacrosse Schoolgirls Team 2018 & 2019, Long Island Lacrosse Journal Top 25 Midfielders, WHB Citizenship Award 2017, Principal’s Academic Excellence Award 2015/16 & 2016/17, Mathematics Honor Society, National Honor Society, World Language Honor Society, Compassion without Borders Leadership Conference 2017 & 2018, Track & Field Camp Volunteer, Lacrosse Clinic Volunteer.

Check BackOfTheCAGE.com to meet Aidan Mulholland from Manhasset High School.