Senior Spotlight Q&A w/Leah Bestany from Bethpage High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #28 ranked senior on Long Island, Leah Bestany for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Leah Bestany is the Top 10 leading goals & points scorer on Long Island and top 6 in goals, assists and points in Nassau County after her dominating performances which has helped her Bethpage Golden Eagles to a current undefeated record of 8-0. The Preseason 2nd Team All BOTC Attackman is the heart and soul of the Eagles for the past 2 years now and she is on a mission to end with no regrets, especially after losing last season and clearly worker extra her hard by herself and with her teammates over that time has been and is continuing to pay off. Keep an eye on the future D1 Eastern Carolina University Attackman and how far she can help the Golden Eagles in the playoffs as they are already on pace to break records by any previous Bethpage High School girls lacrosse team.

Read below to get a closer look at Leah Bestany of Bethpage High School:

Q&A w/ Leah Bestany

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): When you found out last year that the season was going to be canceled, what was your initial reaction and how did you deal with it and keep your spirits up?  
Leah Bestany (LB): When I found out last year's season was going to be canceled. I almost didn’t believe it at first, I was expected to be back on the field in 2 weeks. I was really heartbroken at the fact that we weren’t able to play because as a team we had so many expectations for ourselves. I just kept working out and picking up my stick as much as I could, especially with the girls on the team. We were fortunate enough that our school kept our turf field open so I would be up there as much as possible.

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Coach Dave?  
LB: Not so much of a saying but just his presence that he brought that kept everyone motivated. His stories were always so heartfelt and inspiring, and that’s what I will miss most.

BOTC: Having missed out on playing last year, how much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
LB: oh it gave me so much extra motivation because not only did we girls as a team have expectations of ourselves, but I had a lot for myself. And a part of what keeps my drive going is that now I have to achieve my goals from junior and senior year all in one season. And as for a team perspective, we have all grown to be so close, that it adds to our drive, and just wanted to play for each other and our coaches.

BOTC: Although you missed last season, how much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
LB: I will treasure so much of it as I did in past seasons. Especially since the success that we have had as a team so far, it hasn’t been done in Bethpage history for as long as our coaches can remember. Even though we are only halfway through those wins and those moments will forever have a place in my heart, that will make me play even harder at the collegiate level to make all of them proud.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend East Carolina University, and what other colleges were you considering?
LB: I choose East Carolina because when I walked onto campus it really felt like home away from home. I know that’s a corny thing to say and you hear that a lot but what really contributed to my decision was playing for Coach Moore. I was able to see her coaching style, and the way she is with the girls on her team, and it really just drew me right to her and reminding me of my coaches that I have now. I had amazing offers from other schools that I was incredibly grateful for but East Carolina was just unmatched

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
LB: I’m a very superstitious person. Listening to my Game Day playlist any chance I get before school. I make sure I get the field plenty of time before warmups so I’m not rushing. And a specific time during warmups I will take the gold bracelet that my grandfather had given me I will tuck it into the outside of my right sock. It’s something I’ve done every game in travel and every single high school game I have ever played in.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
LB: Oh I have some rap, A little bit of country, Some nice throwbacks, Very upbeat and motivational is how I like to keep it to get me in the zone

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food? Chicken cutlets
  • Favorite Movie? Rudy
  • Favorite Sports Team? New York Islanders, New York Jets

See some of Leah's career athletic accomplishments below: #28th Ranked Senior, Tied 6th Leading Point Scorer in Nassau County & 10th on Long Island, Tied 10th for Most Goals on Long Island, all-around varsity sports, All-conference basketball, all-conference lacrosse, Newsday Top 100 in 2020 and 2021

Check BackOfTheCAGE.com to meet Joseph Bueti from Syosset High School.