Senior Spotlight Q&A w/ Nick Teresky from Wantagh High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #34 ranked senior on Long Island and the Preseason All Back of the Cage selection from Wantagh High School, Nick Teresky for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Nick Teresky is one of the best athletes on the island and a has certainly been a commodity for the Warriors. Nick has earned All County honors in three different sports and has been playing at such a high level for a long period of time, especially in lacrosse. Over the past two seasons, Teresky has led the Warriors in points and ultimately has helped the Warriors to the Nassau County Semi-Finals & Championship game during those two seasons. With this season being Nick's fourth and final year on varsity in lacrosse coupled with his experience of playing up on other sports as well, Teresky has learned to become a great leader both by example and vocally. The Rutgers University signee is looking to help his fellow teammates to learn the winning culture he & the Warriors have built over the years while getting another chance to compete for a championship and if the season resumes, Teresky will be ready - he just wants another shot.

Read below to get a closer look at the All-BOTC Attackman:

Q&A w/ Nick Teresky

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): Prior to last season, you were quoted on saying "This team has been getting after it all offseason and everyone just wants to get on the field and make another run at it," in reference to improving upon the loss in the Class C Championship game in 2018. Although you guys fell short of your goal due to injuries sustained to several players, you still had another very successful season making it to the semi-finals.  Was the offseason training different this year with a different level of sense of urgency considering it is your senior year and how are you & the rest of the guys currently training for when the season will hopefully resume play?  
Nick Teresky (NT): After the difficult loss my sophomore year I felt we were ready to put it all together and change the outcome junior year but we never had that opportunity because of injuries. We lost two starting defenseman, one of them being our team captain and arguably our top player. Now going into my senior year we bring a lot of experience that includes 5 seniors who started as sophomores. This past offseason the entire team had a chip on its shoulder knowing we underperformed last season, we are definitely focused and will be ready to go after a long time off. This delay to the season has been tough but we’ve been making the most out of it with at home workouts, stick work and runs. If we get that clearance to resume play me and the rest of the seniors will be coming out firing to make up for lost time. 

BOTC: Having played such an important role so young in your career while achieving early success as prefaced above and leading the team in points both seasons, how much of that experience has helped you to become a better leader having been in the 'trenches,' especially to the young bucks who are now in your shoes?  
NT: I got to experience great leadership from the upperclassmen during my freshman and sophomore seasons. I took what they taught me and was very vocal during my junior year. Going into my senior year I will be just as vocal because setting the standard for the younger players is what’s important.

BOTC: So far, what is your most memorable moment of the past 4 years?
NT: Sophomore year county championship, goal before halftime.

BOTC: What is your favorite quote or saying from Coach Polo? 
NT: “Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t.”

BOTC: Why did you choose Rutgers University and what other colleges were you considering? 
NT: I grew up a Rutgers fan, they showed the most interest and it just felt like home. I was considering a bunch of CAA schools as well.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pregame rituals?
NT: I will unlace and tie my cleats until they feel right, socks at the same height, overall if I’m not comfortable I will adjust all my equipment.

BOTC: What’s on your playlist before games?
NT: Depends on how I’m feeling, usually country.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:
  • Favorite Food? Pasta
  • Favorite Movie? Any Fast & Furious movie
  • Favorite Sports Team? J-E-T-S
  • Favorite Athlete? Jamal Adams

See some of Nick's career athletic accomplishments below: #34 Ranked Senior (BOTC), Preseason 3rd Team All-BOTC (2020), All County (2019), HM All County (2018), All Conference (2018), 4x Varsity Starter ('17-'20), Wantagh Leading Point Scorer ('18, '19; Football: All State (2019), All Long Island (2019), 2x All County (2018 & 2019); Basketball: All County (2020), 2x All Conference (2018 & 2019)

Check BackOfTheCAGE.com to meet Ali Susskind from Bay Shore High School.