Senior Spotlight Q&A with Jack Cavaioli from Farmingdale High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #33 ranked senior on Long Island and the Preseason Media All Back Of The Cage Team selection from Farmingdale High School, Jack Cavaioli for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

The Siena University signee has been the dark horse for the Daler's since 2017 making an immediate impact contributing 31 points. As a 4x Varsity Starter, he reached a career milestone last season registering over 100 career points but it is not only the point production he brings but the attributes he brings in between the lines and defensively like his coach preaches in which he earned All County honors for. Now having been apart of a winning culture & tradition with Coach Hungerford at the helm, Jack is ambitious to help his team in anyway to bring home a Championship. See below to get a closer look at the do-it-all midfielder:

Q&A w/ Jack Cavaioli

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): You have been starting on Varsity since you were a freshman and helped the Daler’s to consistently make a deep run in the playoffs with your all around solid play for the past 3 years. Has it sunk it yet that this is your final year and what is your goal for the 2020 season?
Jack Cavaoli (JC): I can’t believe this is my last year playing lacrosse at Farmingdale. Playing here all my life has brought me some of my best memories and friends that I’ll have for the rest of my life. With that being said in my final season the goal for 2020 is to bring a County Championship back to Farmingdale, and I can say that everyone else on the team would agree with me as that has been the goal and mindset all preseason.

BOTC: As mentioned above, you came so close to winning the Nassau Class A Championship. How much of that motivates you and your teammates?
(JC): Getting so close to winning the counties my freshman year really motivates me to get back to that game and avenge that loss. To come that close and get nothing was a terrible feeling and it made my teammates and I work 10x harder to make sure that next time we’re the ones holding up the trophy and hopefully that will be this spring.

BOTC: I saw that you started your own Sports Blog - that's really cool. What sparked you to create your own blog and is there any chance you will come work for BOTC one day haha?
(JC):Last school year I took Journalism as an elective class and that was one of the assignments. It was a really fun project and I liked getting to write about sports everyday. Who knows, maybe one day it could be a career for me, we will have to see.

BOTC: What is your favorite quote or saying from Coach Mike Hungerford?
(JC): To be honest, Coach Hungerford has a quote or phrase for just about every drill we do at practice, and always gives great pregame speeches as well. My personal favorite quote is when he says “Great teams do ordinary things extraordinarily well.” Meaning that to be great you have to do the little details of the game that may seem boring and not always be flashy or cool.

BOTC: What is your most memorable moment thus far?
(JC): There have been so many memorable moments over my years, one that comes to mind is scoring the game tying and then game winning goal against Bethpage on a buzzer beater and then getting interviewed by News12 my sophomore year.

BOTC: Out of all of the schools out there, why did you choose to play lacrosse at Siena College and what other colleges were you considering attending?
(JC): I chose Siena because of the great culture Coach Gleason and the rest of the coaching staff are creating there. They really care about their players and are building a great program. I loved the campus and athletic facilities, and academically it was perfect for my interest in studying business. Other schools I considered included Hartford, LIU, and Stony Brook.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pregame rituals?
(JC): I am not really superstitious but sometimes if I play a really good game, I’ll try to do the same things I did before it for the next game, like eat the same meal and listen to the same songs.

BOTC: What’s on your playlist before games?
(JC): Billy Joel, Post Malone, & anything country specifically Luke Combs & Jason Aldean.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:
  • Favorite Food? Salmon Sushi
  • Favorite Movie? Step Brothers
  • Favorite Sports Team? New York Islanders
  • Favorite Athlete? Matt Danowski

See some of Jack Cavaioli's career Athletic Accomplishments below: Lacrosse; #33 Ranked Senior by BOTC, Preseason HM All Back of the Cage (2020), All County (2019), All Conference (2018), 4x Varsity Starter ('17-'20) | Volleyball; All Division (2018), All County (2019)

Check back in a week to meet Katie Goodale from Riverhead High School.