Senior Spotlight Q&A with Jenny Markey from Mount Sinai High School

This past week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with one of the accomplished players in the history of Mount Sinai High School, 9th Ranked Senior, Jenny Markey for our weekly Senior Spotlight Series interviewing a new senior, each week.

The Syracuse University signee will go down as one of the greats that helped bring home half of the NY State Championships that Mount Sinai has won since its inception. Jenny was a part of the 2016 and 2017 State Championships and came so close in 2018 falling short in the Long Island Championship followed by making it back to the Suffolk County Class C Finals. With those losses, Markey has her eyes set on making history and bringing home her third and the programs fifth NY State title and that is her goal... Markey's story is unfinished and don't bet against her.

A 5-year varsity starter, Markey will be the leader of the team to help share her experiences from when she played on varsity in eighth grade and won back-to-back state titles. That taste of winning it all is something Markey wants back and is dedicated to deliver that during her final season and with such a highly decorated player who played on the German U19 National Team, earned All County, All State and Honorable Mention All BOTC honors in 2019, the Mustangs are in good hands with Markey at the Midfield and as the team leader complimented by the pieces around her.

Q&A:

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): Last season, your team fell short in the Suffolk Class A Championship in a nail biter over Bayport Blue Point in a 6-7 loss. What are things you can took away from that loss personally and now being the leader of team that you can pass along to the up and coming class having been in their shoes as early as an 8th grader?
Jenny Markey (JM): After losing to bay port in the county championship last year there were many things i was able to take away from that game. We as a team played as hard as we could but fell short in the end. After that experience i think for this upcoming season, what we should’ve taken away from that game is just the idea of getting one more. We have to work harder to make sure every single small ground ball, rebound, draw, etc., is ours because in the end, that could’ve been the game changer in such a close game like that.

BOTC: As mentioned above, you are a reigning Suffolk County Finalists. Will that loss carry over into the 2020 season and if so, how?
JM: Losing in the county championship last year will definitely carry on into this season, but in a way that will better the team. That loss should be motivation for us to better ourselves on the field and work harder for hopefully a second shot at counties.

BOTC: You have been on Varsity since you were an eighth grader and have been a part of 2 NY State Championships out of the 4 won at Mount Sinai. How does it feel be part of such a winning tradition cementing a legacy forever and at an opportunity to win your third and the programs fifth NY State title – something only a handful of others have achieved?
JM: This will be my 5th year on the Mount Sinai girls varsity lacrosse team. I’ve been involved in many of the big wins and also the big losses. This year if we are able to make it to the state championship and win that will be an unforgettable experience for me [and] it’s 100 percent my goal for this year to help my team get there. If we are win, that would be my 3rd state championship win and I’d be proud to be a part of the legacy of girls that have been a part of winning that many championships.

BOTC: What is your most memorable moment thus far?
JM: Throughout all my years on my team the most unforgettable game I have been a part of was my first year on varsity. We were playing SWR [Shoreham Wading River], we were tied and they were in a stall with 18 seconds left. We were able to get the ball back and then we called a timeout. After the timeout one of our defenders at the time had the ball and launched it about 30 yards down the field to one of our attackers. She then carried the ball and passed it to another one of our attackers who scored with one second left putting us into overtime, which we ended up winning and moving on in our season. This game will always stick with me because it was a game we could have easily lost, but since we didn’t give up we came out with an unexpected win.

BOTC: What is your favorite quote or saying from the legend, Coach Bertolone?
JM: One quote that Coach Bert would be known for is “clear eyes, full heart, can’t lose”. This quote has been in our program since before I was even on the team and is the legacy of Mount Sinai lacrosse.

BOTC: Being a Top 10 Recruit in the Country, Why did you choose Syracuse University and how excited are you to play for arguably the best women’s lacrosse coach all-time with Coach Gait?
JM: Next fall I will be attending Syracuse University and playing on their Women’s lacrosse team. I chose this team because I fell in love with the school, the coaches, and all the opportunities it holds. There are so many options for majors in any field you could think of, I really liked this because at the moment I’m not 100 percent sure what i want to do in the future. Another big factor of my decision to commit were the coaches. All the coaches from head to assistant made me feel as comfortable and welcomed at possible and they showed me how much i would enjoy my time at Syracuse if i were to attend. Having the opportunity to play for Gary Gait is just something i could not pass up. I can not think of another person I’d want to coach me and help me exceed to the next level in my college career.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pregame rituals?
JM: Before every game I have a couple of rituals that I do. I tape my cross to my ankle and fold my socks twice. I also listen to the same song right before we walk on the field.

BOTC: What is your favorite quote or saying from the legend, Coach Bertolone?
JM: One quote that Coach Bert [Bertolone] would be known for is “clear eyes, full heart, can’t lose”. This quote has been in our program since before I was even on the team and is the legacy of Mount Sinai lacrosse.

BOTC: What’s on your playlist before games?
JM: Before games I don’t listen to a specific playlist but I usually listen to Eminem, New Found Glory, Taking Back Sunday, and Rise Against except when we’re walking onto the field, I listen to Breezeblocks by alt-J.

More about Jenny: All Rookie (2017), German U19 National Team, 2x All County, Under Armour All America, Honorable Mention All BOTC, 4th Team All State, Suffolk Class C Finalist

Check back next week to meet Russel Maher from Mount Sinai High School.

Written By: Thomas Michaelsen
Photo Credit: Timothy Butler Photography
Back Of The CAGE | BackOfTheCAGE.com