Senior Spotlight Q&A with Kendall Halpern from Syosset High School

During Thanksgiving week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with one of the most athletic and an already accomplished athlete from Syosset High School, 4th ranked senior, Kendall Halpern for our weekly Senior Spotlight Series interviewing a new senior, each week.

The Northwestern University signee will go down as one of the greatest lacrosse players and athletes of all time at Syosset with her lengthy resume that consists of being All County in three sports (Soccer, Basketball & Lacrosse) All State (Basketball & Lacrosse), Honorable Mention All BOTC & Preseason All Inside Lacrosse, U19 Team USA Tryout Invitee and the Heather Leigh Albert Finalist to name some, yet, she still has one last year to add more to her impressive resume.

A 5-year varsity starter who was the second leader of draw controls in Nassau County last season has all the medals and honors an athlete can ask for but the 3-sport star and returning All American would trade all of that to bring home a championship in lacrosse. Halpern is motivated in doing so and like her coach says, Kendall Halpern just has to "play like Kendall Halpern."

Q&A:

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): This past season, you were bestowed with the highest high school lacrosse honor after balling out scoring 52 goals, adding 60 points and finishing 2nd in Nassau County in draw controls garnering All American honors subsequently only becoming the 2nd player in the history of Syosset Girls Lacrosse to earn this prestigious award. How does it make you feel to know that you are just the second player of all time at Syosset to earn All American?
Kendall Halpern (KH): Becoming Syosset’s second ever All-American was a prestigious honor. It has made it more meaningful to follow in the footsteps of Taylyn Stadler who has become a great player at UPENN. The recognition always provides confidence and satisfaction of the hard work I continue to put it to the game. Though earning the highest honor, I feel that I have much more to accomplish in high school before I begin my new journey at Northwestern.

BOTC: You are one of the most decorated athletes and especially at Syosset being All County in Soccer, Basketball & Lacrosse coupled with being All-State in Basketball & Lacrosse and being a Nassau County Champion in Soccer. Where would a stack up winning a Nassau County title in Lacrosse and what are your expectations for the 2020 season?
KH: Winning a Nassau county title in lacrosse was the only goal I had when I first played for the varsity team in the eighth grade. I would give up many of the individual awards to bring a county championship home to Syosset. In 2018, after winning the County Championship in soccer, I had my eyes on both the championship in basketball and lacrosse. Falling short in both has added additional motivation to win them both in 2020.

BOTC: What is your most memorable moment thus far?
KH: In lacrosse, my most memorable high school moment was in my sophomore season (2018), Garden City had been ranked number two in the country. I had scored my fourth and winning goal with no time on the clock to beat them for the first time in Syosset history. Overall my most memorable moment came in the 2018 Nassau County soccer final. The game had gone into penalty kicks, and as a field player I jumped into goal eventually saving and then scoring the final goal to take home Syosset Girls Soccer first county title.

BOTC: What is your favorite quote or saying from Coach LoMonaco?
KH: Coach LoMonaco will always tell me pregame to go out there and just play like Kendall Halpern. Her goal is to always give me confidence to play relentless and leave it all out on the field.

BOTC: Being a 4-Star Recruit with a plethora of offers on the table, why did you choose Northwestern University?
KH: I was given the opportunity to go play for a national championship for a legendary coach, in Kelly Amonte Hiller, at a world class university.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre game rituals?
KH: My three pregame rituals include a special game day sandwich from Woodbury Country Deli (if your interested it includes grilled chicken, lettuce, tomato, mozzarella and balsamic). Also, I must wear a headband with eye black smudged down my face.

BOTC: What’s on your playlist before games?
KH: Old Town Road, Dreams and Nightmares, Started From the Bottom

More about Kendall: All Conference in 2016, All County in 2018 & 2019, 1st Team All Long Island (FLG) and the leading Goal Scorer at SHS (52).

Check back in a week to meet Jenny Markey from Mount Sinai High School.

Written By: Thomas Michaelsen
Back Of The CAGE | BackOfTheCAGE.com