Senior Spotlight Q&A with Lauren Kenny from Riverhead High School

Yesterday, Back Of The CAGE caught up with Senior Attacker from Riverhead High School, Lauren Kenny, for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior every week. Lauren took time out of her busy schedule to allow for fans to get to know her better on a more personal level and as a lacrosse player.

The Stony Brook University signee has been a key contributor to a Riverhead team that has already set records in their programs history by making back-to-back Suffolk Class A Semi-Finals appearences being named to the Suffolk All-Tournament Team in 2018 and leading the team in assists (36) and second overall in points (57) last year but the #38 ranked senior has higher expectations for a team loaded with talent.

Last years unsung hero is motivated to being an even bigger contributor this year with the goal of winning a State Championship - a team first attitude she's had and that is constantly instilled by her head coach.

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): Last season, you played a vital role in helping your Blue Waves make it back to the Suffolk Class A Semi-Finals by leading your team in assists and finishing second in points but it is well documented that the team was devasted after losing that game to Middle Country. Is this something that you still think about and will that loss serve as added motivation for you and/or the team?
Lauren Kenny (LK): Yes, the loss to Middle Country is always in the back of my mind. It definitely wasn’t the ending we were hoping for. For me personally it is self motivating. We have about 15 seniors who all have the same goal in mind, to win and end in the best way possible. Hoping to leave the most memorable mark in program history.

BOTC: Your Blue Waves are returning almost every major contributor from last year’s team which is full of talent at every position. What are your expectations for the team and what individual goals do you have for yourself?
LK: Yes our team is full of amazing talent. We have been playing together for awhile now. My expectations for this team is definitely winning a state championship. For me personally, I'm always looking to improve my game. But my goal is to definitely score more.

BOTC: The team’s slogans over the past three seasons were “Feed the POSITIVE dog,” “WE over me,” and ​"We play together, We play to Win"----"IM ON THE BUS." Where do these slogans derive from and what will the motto be for the 2020 season?
LK: These slogans are just a reminder that we are a team. Each year Coach King picks out a book for us to read and the purpose of that is to motivate the team in a new way each season. Learning about obstacles others encounter and seeing how they overcome it. But most importantly how they overcome them with the help of others. Just like a team.

BOTC: Why did you choose the Stonybrook University?
LK: I chose Stony Brook University for several different reasons. It was the perfect balance between academics and athletics for me. Staying close to family was so important to me. I love the coaching staff and how family oriented the team is. Also the desire to win a national championship.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pregame rituals?
LK: I am very superstitious with my hair I will only play with it in a ponytail. I do have one pre-game ritual.I listen to “Shallow” by Lady Gaga with one of my best friends before every game.

BOTC:What’s on your playlist before games?
LK: My playlist consists of all different types of music.

Check back in a week to meet Nick Caccamo from Harborfields High School.

Written By: Thomas Michaelsen
Back Of The CAGE | BackOfTheCAGE.com