Senior Spotlight Q&A with Sal Miccio from Northport High School

On Tuesday, Back Of The CAGE caught up with one of the most prolific goal scorers on Long Island for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior every week. Senior Attackman from Northport High School, Sal Miccio, took time out of his busy week for fans to get to know Sal on a more personal level and as a lacrosse player.

The Sacred Heart University signee has been consistent throughout his high school career and put together back-to-back seasons with 60+ points but going off last year putting up 60 goals in 17 games which was the 5th most in Suffolk County and tied for the 9th most on all of Long Island including Nassau, Suffolk & Private Schools earning him Honorable Mention All American, Honorable Mention All-State, and ranked #4 Attackman on Long Island by BOTC.

A 4-year varsity player will be the leader of the Tigers' again and Miccio wants to go out on top after a devastating loss to the Patriots in the playoffs who they beat earlier in the season with Miccio scoring a team high 4 goals. The seasoned and decorated veteran who is preaching hard work to his teammates will be leading by example which is what has led to his success so far and with his extra motivation, the Tigers' are in good hands.

Q&A:

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): For the past 2 years, you combined for 105 goals and 33 assists (138 points) being the leader of the offense. You just graduated 14 seniors, however, you have a lot of talented young bucks trying to contribute like you did as a sophomore and junior. Who helped mentor you and what advice will you give to them having been in their shoes before?
Sal Miccio (SM): My mentor since coming up to HS would be Coach Cerasi, one of our varsity coaches. He's made a major impact on my career at Northport, he helped me in the off season and he helped identify my strengths so I could work on my weakness. I'm thankful to have him in my life. For the younger guys, I would say that it all starts in the off season by getting in the weight room. It's all about getting bigger, faster, and stronger.

BOTC: Last season, you played an integral role in helping your Tigers’ get to the Suffolk Class A Semi-Finals and despite your 4-goal game performance, it wasn’t enough to get past Ward Melville. Will that loss serve as added motivation for you and/or the team and what are your expectations for this season?
SM: That loss was a real let down, it has really motivated me and the guys this off season. We have high expectations for this season even though we graduated 14 seniors. We have a lot of young talent that should make for a high powered team this year.

BOTC: What is your most memorable moment thus far?
SM:The most memorable and exciting moment throughout my career thus far has to be beating Ward Melville. It was my first time beating Ward Melville and it was a huge turning point in the season for us.

BOTC: Why did you choose Sacred Heart University?
SM: After I completed all my college visits I felt that Sacred Heart would fit me best. I love the campus, I love the coaching staff and I feel and I can have immediate impact on the program.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pregame rituals?
SM: One of my superstitions before every game is putting my lucky penny in my left sock. I've been doing this since my Sophomore year & it has never failed me.

BOTC: What’s on your playlist before games?
SM: Last year our team was big into pregame music. We had a 40+ song list with songs from Hells Bells by ACDC to Lock Jaw by French Montana. Some of my favorites were, Outside Today, Envy Me, Slime Belief and Dark Queen.

More Info about Sal: 2018 Suffolk County Rookie of the Year, 2x All Division, 2x All County, #23 Ranked Senior on Long Island by BOTC, 2nd Team All Long Island by Newsday.

Check back in a week to meet Lauren Kenny from Riverhead High School.

Written By: Thomas Michaelsen
Back Of The CAGE | BackOfTheCAGE.com