Senior Spotlight: Q&A With Katie DeSimone from St. Anthony's High School

Senior attacker and captain, Katie DeSimone from St. Anthony's High School took some time out of her busy week to catch up with Back Of The CAGE to help launch the 2019-20 Senior Spotlight series that will have a new senior interviewed each week.

Katie DeSimone is arguably one of the best lacrosse players in the entire country after her stellar career thus far. As a sophomore, Katie earned 4th Team All-State and All American honors. For Katie, that wasn't enough and something was incomplete. It was losing in the CHSAA AA Championship game that left a sour taste with her.

DeSimone helped the Friars' get redemption by contributing 67 goals and 24 assists with a hattrick and an assist in the 9-7 victory over Sacred Heart in the CHSAA AA Championship game and was named Class AA League MVP for her efforts. The Duke signee also garnered 1st Team All-State, 1st Team All BOTC, 1st Team Newsday All Long Island and All-American for the 2nd consecutive year.

BackOfTheCAGE: After a devastating loss in the 2018 CHSAA Championship Game & then inscribing “Redemption Tour” on the back of the team's pullovers, you played an integral role in helping your team to win the CHSAA Championship last season. Followed by the win, you were quoted in Newsday saying “This year, it was the push & the focus that we all had.” What is your motivation this year to repeat?
Katie DeSimone: St Anthony’s has a legacy of winning, it's almost expected. In 2018, we felt like we let a lot of people down. After last season's success, we feel like we are back on top and we want to continue our winning ways. We are all very excited about what this season has in store for us and look forward to the challenges it will bring us.

BOTC: So far, what is your favorite moment of the past three seasons on the team?
KD: My favorite moment so far was beating Manhasset during the 2019 season. Going into the game as the underdog gave us the freedom to go out there, be ourselves and have fun. It was a memorable game and one that I won’t soon forget

BOTC: You set the bar high with earning All American honors as a sophomore, and then followed that up by earning CHSAA AA League MVP, 1st Team All BOTC and All American again last year as a junior. Where do you go from here for the 2020 season?
KD: I’m just focusing on improving my game as well as becoming a better teammate. I also want to focus on helping the underclassmen improve their game so that they can continue our legacy at SA.

BOTC: What is one interesting thing no one on your team knows about you?
KD: I cook with my grandma every Sunday

BOTC: As a top 5 recruit in the country, why did you choose Duke University?
KD: I chose Duke not only for its amazing athletics but for its rigorous academic atmosphere. I know that Duke will give me the most opportunities as an athlete as well as a student.

BOTC: Do you have any pregame rituals?
KD: Yes I actually have a couple. I always eat peanut butter and banana on toast before every game. I play the game for my relatives that I’ve lost, especially my grandfathers so I tape my wrist and write their initials on it so I know they are always with me when I’m playing. I also always play with my hair straightened in a braid.

BOTC: What’s on your playlist before games?
KD: I love to listen to throwbacks. They always get me pumped up.

Check back with BackOfTheCAGE.com to meet Shoreham-Wading River Senior Goalie, Liam Daly.