BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 204 of 327 1 2 202 203 204 205 206 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Okay so if I am a rookie college coach, am I going with the Beach Bum A player or the YJ player whose team is now just identified by a coaches name?

Neither, you (the college coach) are going to tournaments and showcases to SEE the player play (usually after the player's family contacts you with a bio/resume/film), remember CR will not contact coaches on your behalf, that part is up to you. Then you are going to base you decisions off of that. So many are misguided and brainwashed on recruiting. The club's job is to develop the player into a strong enough player to continue playing into college if that is the desire of the player/family.

Carol Rose cares very little for those outside her circle or those who are useful to her. Just look at how she treats and talks to the 2nd and 3rd teams during their games when she has to cover for a coach who cannot make a tournament. She talks to them with so much disdain it's not even funny. What makes you think she is going to give a rats a$$ about your kid on the 3rd team?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Powderfinger

CR is happy to go to bat for her blue chip players (who don't really need her recommendation), but the rest get tepid effort if any unless you pay the recruiting fee!

Is there or is there not a recruiting fee? I've heard from former YJs (Blue) maybe 5 years ago that there was, but on here everyone swears there isn't. So is there or isn't there?

Go to YJ website, lower left side is a recruiting tab. Sends you to another website.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by baldbear

CR is happy to go to bat for her blue chip players (who don't really need her recommendation), but the rest get tepid effort if any unless you pay the recruiting fee!

Is there or is there not a recruiting fee? I've heard from former YJs (Blue) maybe 5 years ago that there was, but on here everyone swears there isn't. So is there or isn't there?

Go to YJ website, lower left side is a recruiting tab. Sends you to another website.

Thanks, Bear. What they offer doesn't seem to be much more than you can find in a book or online. But I guess if you don't know what you're doing and want to pay for some handholding then they're there for the hiring.

Some clubs offer that with memberships, no extra fee required.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is FAF?
Friends and Family. 2019 Blue consists of Smithtown friends..... and family being 2 "coaches" have daughters on the team. So much fun!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE

Thanks, Bear. What they offer doesn't seem to be much more than you can find in a book or online. But I guess if you don't know what you're doing and want to pay for some handholding then they're there for the hiring.

I have "counseled" (I don't charge) many students over the past 10-15 years. It is pretty basic stuff. I try to match a student's academic merits, athletic merits and deposition (wants to go away; if so how far, stay home, large school, small school, wants to a doctor, etc) with the best school. Too many students get a bad school match and before long hate the sport and school; many don't make it four years. My track record is good (patting myself on the back) but the "miserable" rate is quite high.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have "counseled" (I don't charge) many students over the past 10-15 years. It is pretty basic stuff. I try to match a student's academic merits, athletic merits and deposition (wants to go away; if so how far, stay home, large school, small school, wants to a doctor, etc) with the best school. Too many students get a bad school match and before long hate the sport and school; many don't make it four years. My track record is good (patting myself on the back) but the "miserable" rate is quite high.

The miserable rate is quite high because many parents push their kids towards schools that show interest so they can verbally commit and then share the YJ sidelines with pride. Lacrosse is a part of the conversation but it shouldn't be the #1 factor as it is for most.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"The miserable rate is quite high because many parents push their kids towards schools that show interest so they can verbally commit and then share the YJ sidelines with pride. Lacrosse is a part of the conversation but it shouldn't be the #1 factor as it is for most."

Typical toolbag, thanks for telling us the #1 factor in most kids choice as to what college to attend, as if you have any idea what went into those choices. You people are such a bunch of losers you cannot stand that kids go to schools that you could have only dreamed about. How about you support the kids from Long Island in their college choices regardless of the club they are from. Please give us a few examples of these YJ kids that picked a school strictly based on lax, such a loser.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"The miserable rate is quite high because many parents push their kids towards schools that show interest so they can verbally commit and then share the YJ sidelines with pride. Lacrosse is a part of the conversation but it shouldn't be the #1 factor as it is for most."

Typical toolbag, thanks for telling us the #1 factor in most kids choice as to what college to attend, as if you have any idea what went into those choices. You people are such a bunch of losers you cannot stand that kids go to schools that you could have only dreamed about. How about you support the kids from Long Island in their college choices regardless of the club they are from. Please give us a few examples of these YJ kids that picked a school strictly based on lax, such a loser.

I hope your kid goes to Northwestern which is a great school with great academics but lots of these kids are going to schools they never heard of until a program showed interest and money. Hopefully its a good fit for all.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"I hope your kid goes to Northwestern which is a great school with great academics but lots of these kids are going to schools they never heard of until a program showed interest and money. Hopefully its a good fit for all."

That's the point Northwestern is not for everybody, cold, coach that is notoriously difficult .Ask the alumni of the lax program many say it was not the greatest experience.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is FAF?
Friends and Family. 2019 Blue consists of Smithtown friends..... and family being 2 "coaches" have daughters on the team. So much fun!

2020 has smithtown and huntington friends, as well as family.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yup. Have seen CR in action. No love for the minions on the lower teams who are paying all that money for mostly mediocre coaching. What's really sad is that she could focus on developing those players, but she doesn't even do that. The exclusionary attitude starts right at the top of the organization. She can barely bring herself to acknowledge you and only responds to emails when it's convenient.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is FAF?

2021-Smithtown

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What 2020 team has many Smithtown and Huntington kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"I hope your kid goes to Northwestern which is a great school with great academics but lots of these kids are going to schools they never heard of until a program showed interest and money. Hopefully its a good fit for all."

That's the point Northwestern is not for everybody, cold, coach that is notoriously difficult .Ask the alumni of the lax program many say it was not the greatest experience.

When a lacrosse player turns 21 he/she is a nobody. The point is if you get into Northwestern you go regardless of what the coach is or isnt. Anybody making decisions based on any reason other than where there kid will get the best education should have their heads examined.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CURCIO

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is FAF?

You forgot 2019 team PM. Cousin from Middle Island and friends from Mt. Cynaid. Better kids were moved down to Team 3 to accomodate.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When a lacrosse player turns 21 he/she is a nobody. The point is if you get into Northwestern you go regardless of what the coach is or isnt. Anybody making decisions based on any reason other than where there kid will get the best education should have their heads examined.

Untrue, some kids would be a terrible fit for Northwestern and would be home looking for another school in less then 2 years. These kids shouldn't go to Northwestern even if offered athletic money and admission.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

CURCIO

who is that? do they coach?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
your kidding? If you need to ask who Curcio is, you don't even belong in the conversation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Untrue, some kids would be a terrible fit for Northwestern and would be home looking for another school in less then 2 years. These kids shouldn't go to Northwestern even if offered athletic money and admission.

If they got into Northwestern they would get into some other school suitable to them. The point is education is primary not the other way around. Their education will stay with them for the rest of their lives and the athletics will come to an end.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If they got into Northwestern they would get into some other school suitable to them. The point is education is primary not the other way around. Their education will stay with them for the rest of their lives and the athletics will come to an end.

So true, so if your daughter is struggling academically, maybe you should focus on improving in that area of her life instead of improving her speed, shot or weak hand. Send her to a tutor instead of the YJ clinic or private lesson. I’ve seen quite a few girls who are academically challenged go to college on some LAX money only to drop out after the first semester because they can’t handle the work load of school and sports. They never developed good study habits and were just plain lazy. Who cares if she was a superstar in HS and is now working a menial job.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The sad thing I'm learning about these Elite Travel clubs, is that they are all just interested in getting your child into a school. They want to pad their stats. They don't mention the academic success of these students, or the 4 year graduation rate. I agree that parents need to focus more on academic training, instead of the skills training. A good GPA is going keep your kid in college. As parents, that's the main goal....isn't it?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actually you are really off base. Its not up to you to pass judgment on kids college choices which are done for many different reasons. My opinion kids should pick a school they would want to be at even if they did not play lacrosse which might not always be the highest ranked college they get into. I would rather have my kid go to the #50 ranked academic school and be in the top 10 percent of the graduating class as compared to go to Harvard and be in the bottom struggling for 4 years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thoght all those kids where already there before pm even came on board[u][/u]

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actually you are really off base. Its not up to you to pass judgment on kids college choices which are done for many different reasons. My opinion kids should pick a school they would want to be at even if they did not play lacrosse which might not always be the highest ranked college they get into. I would rather have my kid go to the #50 ranked academic school and be in the top 10 percent of the graduating class as compared to go to Harvard and be in the bottom struggling for 4 years.

I'm sorry, but I have seen YJ girls who have had Ivy League grades pick schools that are way beneath them because it looks for better for the YJ's to highlight their "recruits" to top lacrosse programs. It's more about the YJ's and their standing in the lacrosse world than it is about the individual girl and what is right for her. CR does not like it when kids she pushed to certain schools end up not going there.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE

YJ players tend to have a higher rate of being on a roster for the full four years; definitely a factor of skill level. But the LI average of players who on the roster for the full four years is about 55% (over the last 15 years).

I agree that lacrosse, or any other talent, is a great way to get into a dream school (it could be fencing, the chess club, etc. An applicant needs to distinguish themselves over the thousands of applicants a school receives). I see a Northwestern example being thrown around; if lacrosse helped that student get into Northwestern that is the best result. Or Harvard. Or Williams. But if you have a bright student but goes to a lower academic school just to play D1 I believe you have missed an opportunity. Lacrosse is a niche sport and for 99.9% of the students college will be last time they play.

Any D1/D2 team sport is a huge commitment. You generally give up any other activity that college provides; studying abroad (in semester), certain internships, "college life". Even D3 can be a tough going. A NESCAC school, Washington & Lee or Haverford are tough schools academically. But they do provide opportunities not available to D1/D2 students.

I hope no one picks a school strictly for a sports program. I personally have never met such a person. I have met parents who will direct their child to the school that offers the best financial deal. That is a family dynamic that is real. In most cases it is academic workload vs athletic workload that burns out a student.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

CURCIO

who is that? do they coach?

What has this person ever done to even be mentioned here?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're NUTS!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thoght all those kids where already there before pm even came on board[u][/u]

They were, but the better kids were moved down.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The sad thing I'm learning about these Elite Travel clubs, is that they are all just interested in getting your child into a school. They want to pad their stats. They don't mention the academic success of these students, or the 4 year graduation rate. I agree that parents need to focus more on academic training, instead of the skills training. A good GPA is going keep your kid in college. As parents, that's the main goal....isn't it?

Inferior academic skills are usually passed down from the parents who themselves had a hard time academically or didn’t care about school altogether. If those parents were on top of it they would be pushing their daughter to apply herself more in school than in Lacrosse. I had terrible study habits in HS and had to work harder than most in college because of that. As the famous Dean Wormer once said “Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life ”.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're NUTS!

To each his own but I agree. This comment is nuts and/or badly informed. 20 years after graduation no one will care what number you graduated if you come out of a top tier, recognized school. If you go to Harvard, Yale or Northwestern, etc, you'll get into graduate school, if you want, and have a very real head start in life irrespective of your class ranking. The value of the brand cant be underestimated.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is FAF?

You forgot 2019 team PM. Cousin from Middle Island and friends from Mt. Cynaid. Better kids were moved down to Team 3 to accomodate.

Sounds like a toxic environment with the cousins and all.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is FAF?

Do the FAF on the top teams play in close games??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're NUTS! [/quote]

To each his own but I agree. This comment is nuts and/or badly informed. 20 years after graduation no one will care what number you graduated if you come out of a top tier, recognized school. If you go to Harvard, Yale or Northwestern, etc, you'll get into graduate school, if you want, and have a very real head start in life irrespective of your class ranking. The value of the brand cant be underestimated. [/quote]

Please if you are just a young student and reading this go out and do research. I have been involved with admissions to a very competitive graduate school on Long Island for years and the above post could not be further from the truth. Graduate schools set certain standards for admission one of which is GPA irrespective of school attended. If you go to Harvard and graduate with a 2.0 GPA you will not be going to Medical School in this country, if you graduate from Hofstra with a 3.8 you have a chance.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're NUTS!

To each his own but I agree. This comment is nuts and/or badly informed. 20 years after graduation no one will care what number you graduated if you come out of a top tier, recognized school. If you go to Harvard, Yale or Northwestern, etc, you'll get into graduate school, if you want, and have a very real head start in life irrespective of your class ranking. The value of the brand cant be underestimated. [/quote]

Please if you are just a young student and reading this go out and do research. I have been involved with admissions to a very competitive graduate school on Long Island for years and the above post could not be further from the truth. Graduate schools set certain standards for admission one of which is GPA irrespective of school attended. If you go to Harvard and graduate with a 2.0 GPA you will not be going to Medical School in this country, if you graduate from Hofstra with a 3.8 you have a chance. [/quote]

When the final choice is between Harvard and Hofstra you take Hofstra I'll take Harvard. BTW there are no competitive graduate schools on Long Island.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]What is FAF?

It's sad because everyone else who earned their spot knows why FAF kids are on the teams. When a team starts to have more than 1 or 2 kids from a certain school it's kind of obvious.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]What is FAF?

It's sad because everyone else who earned their spot knows why FAF kids are on the teams. When a team starts to have more than 1 or 2 kids from a certain school it's kind of obvious.

Depends what team your talking about. Top blue team, most towns produce 0-2 players that can make the cut, anymore than that, something is going on. By the time you get to the third of forth team, a single town can produce many players capable of that level play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're NUTS!

To each his own but I agree. This comment is nuts and/or badly informed. 20 years after graduation no one will care what number you graduated if you come out of a top tier, recognized school. If you go to Harvard, Yale or Northwestern, etc, you'll get into graduate school, if you want, and have a very real head start in life irrespective of your class ranking. The value of the brand cant be underestimated.

Please if you are just a young student and reading this go out and do research. I have been involved with admissions to a very competitive graduate school on Long Island for years and the above post could not be further from the truth. Graduate schools set certain standards for admission one of which is GPA irrespective of school attended. If you go to Harvard and graduate with a 2.0 GPA you will not be going to Medical School in this country, if you graduate from Hofstra with a 3.8 you have a chance. [/quote]

When the final choice is between Harvard and Hofstra you take Hofstra I'll take Harvard. BTW there are no competitive graduate schools on Long Island. [/quote]

This is why an uneducated person like you should no longer post. Stony Brook Medical School, Stony Brook School of Dentistry, Hofstra Law School are all very competitive graduate schools on Long Island. The fact that you have no idea about these programs tells me you are clueless. Personally I went to a state school then graduate school at an Ivy. Just so you know many an Ivy undergrad have applied to the above graduate schools and been denied admission.Looking forward to another witty retort from the uneducated I'll take Harvard guy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're NUTS!

When the final choice is between Harvard and Hofstra you take Hofstra I'll take Harvard. BTW there are no competitive graduate schools on Long Island. [/quote]

try attending Stony Brook Medical School.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're NUTS!

Please if you are just a young student and reading this go out and do research. I have been involved with admissions to a very competitive graduate school on Long Island for years and the above post could not be further from the truth. Graduate schools set certain standards for admission one of which is GPA irrespective of school attended. If you go to Harvard and graduate with a 2.0 GPA you will not be going to Medical School in this country, if you graduate from Hofstra with a 3.8 you have a chance.

This is why an uneducated person like you should no longer post. Stony Brook Medical School, Stony Brook School of Dentistry, Hofstra Law School are all very competitive graduate schools on Long Island. The fact that you have no idea about these programs tells me you are clueless. Personally I went to a state school then graduate school at an Ivy. Just so you know many an Ivy undergrad have applied to the above graduate schools and been denied admission.Looking forward to another witty retort from the uneducated I'll take Harvard guy. [/quote]

Actually, the Harvard kid would not have to go to a LI graduate school because the Ivy League takes care of their own and would get into a Harvard graduate program if they wanted to...

Like Reply Quote
Page 204 of 327 1 2 202 203 204 205 206 326 327
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard