BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 45 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 44 45
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
How many current 2016s will de-commit from UNC and reclassify to 2017? I predict the flood gates are open now and this will be a big trend and will create a ridiculous amount of competition for any remaining spots open for 2017s. Same for any current 2017 UNC commits although less pressure to reclassify to 2018. UNC just screwed the current uncommitted 2017s big time.

You'd almost have to expect that the 2017s who made their college choices as HS freshmen were making immature choices because they were so young. I think it is way broader than UNC. There are families of 2017 kids committed to Big 10 and ACC schools who are all ears for other offers and are not very subtle about it. I have privately felt for some time that parents and kids want to commit early to grab the prestige and status of being an early commit and therefore they must be better players (at least in their own minds). I have no doubt that early verbals will be divas and stay in play. This sport is a pond of scum now.

Spot on. Cesspool.

"spot on, cesspool" and "pond of scum"?? Really? These are KIDS!!!! And your disrespectful envious comments are raging of JEALOUSY about early commits. This sport is a GREAT sport played by great players. Sounds like your son cant "hang".

Relax tough guy. Talking about the recruiting process, not the boys or the sport.

Than explain yourself better.

"Then", not "Than". IVY?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[How do you know? Have you spoken to the kid or his family? Could it be that Cornell is over his head and he would rather a higher gpa at High Point? Could he want to be a teacher or police officer and thus could not justify the additional debt at Cornell? Could he not want to shovel snow before practice or play February games in Ithaca? Maybe he got an offer he couldn't refuse or maybe he fell in love with the High Point campus. Or better yet, maybe he just couldn't stand being around people like you for 4 years, not everyone wants to take over the world. Considering the kid goes to one of the toughest high schools in the country, I'd say it's fair to assume that he and his family put a lot of thought into this decision and came away with High Point being the best decision for him. I guess they should have called you first though…

Or maybe he just wants to work for a IVY grad. [/quote]

Could be High Point offers a major he is interested in, could be financial, could be the kid wants a life out of academics. I have a bunch of relatives who went to Ivy schools. Some are successful, two are chronically unemployed (one Yale, one Princeton). have no clue how to manage personal finances and always think they are too good for every job they are offered. At 40 plus still have student debt. An Ivy education not for everyone and it is not a guarantee of success, especially if you are miserable while attending. Be happy the kid left a spot for your kid! [/quote]

I'll have my kid take his chances in life with an IVY degree, You have fun chasing down a McJob for your son after he has an awesome lax bro time at Lax U.[/quote]

Thanks dude, my kid is attending a service academy. I'll take that education, life experience and opportunity over an Ivy, guess what so will most employers. [/quote]

The point of the discussion was choosing High Point over Cornell. Now you are suggesting that the service academies are better than High Point as well as the IVYs. Good luck to your son.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Top 2015 Attackman decommitted today! How long before Munro bails his son out?

That will depend entirely on the prospects of the UNC lacrosse team. Do you think the Munro kid plans on having a career outside of the lacrosse world?

And the outlook for UNC lacrosse is even more dismal than it's pathetic past.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can somebody please explain the concept of doing a PG year to get the kid's grades in order. If the kid hasn't had good grades through 12th grade, what difference does it make if he has a better 13th year? Does the rest of his high school academic record not count? Also, what makes anybody think that a kid's grades will improve dramatically in a PG year? There's absolutely no guarantee that will happen and if he continues to struggle academically, what happens then? Is he and the family screwed because the recruiting train for his grade has left the station?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[How do you know? Have you spoken to the kid or his family? Could it be that Cornell is over his head and he would rather a higher gpa at High Point? Could he want to be a teacher or police officer and thus could not justify the additional debt at Cornell? Could he not want to shovel snow before practice or play February games in Ithaca? Maybe he got an offer he couldn't refuse or maybe he fell in love with the High Point campus. Or better yet, maybe he just couldn't stand being around people like you for 4 years, not everyone wants to take over the world. Considering the kid goes to one of the toughest high schools in the country, I'd say it's fair to assume that he and his family put a lot of thought into this decision and came away with High Point being the best decision for him. I guess they should have called you first though…

Or maybe he just wants to work for a IVY grad.

Could be High Point offers a major he is interested in, could be financial, could be the kid wants a life out of academics. I have a bunch of relatives who went to Ivy schools. Some are successful, two are chronically unemployed (one Yale, one Princeton). have no clue how to manage personal finances and always think they are too good for every job they are offered. At 40 plus still have student debt. An Ivy education not for everyone and it is not a guarantee of success, especially if you are miserable while attending. Be happy the kid left a spot for your kid! [/quote]

I'll have my kid take his chances in life with an IVY degree, You have fun chasing down a McJob for your son after he has an awesome lax bro time at Lax U.[/quote]

Thanks dude, my kid is attending a service academy. I'll take that education, life experience and opportunity over an Ivy, guess what so will most employers. [/quote]

The point of the discussion was choosing High Point over Cornell. Now you are suggesting that the service academies are better than High Point as well as the IVYs. Good luck to your son. [/quote]

No, I was responding to "the you have fun…." I guess the IVYs don't teach reading skills.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did anybody think that maybe the family could not afford to pay for cornell?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
C
Can somebody please explain the concept of doing a PG year to get the kid's grades in order. If the kid hasn't had good grades through 12th grade, what difference does it make if he has a better 13th year? Does the rest of his high school academic record not count? Also, what makes anybody think that a kid's grades will improve dramatically in a PG year? There's absolutely no guarantee that will happen and if he continues to struggle academically, what happens then? Is he and the family screwed because the recruiting train for his grade has left the station?

College coaches just don't want young 17/18 yr old freshman. So they mature on someon else's dime and comes to them ready to roll.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If the family can't afford a private college that is the best reason to attend an Ivy if you can get through admissions. All of the Ivies have indexed tuition and most have a financial aid calculator which allows the family to put all financial inputs in the calculator and get a specific aid number back. And the aid is large for lower and lower middle income families.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No. Cornell has tons of grant money available to meet the needs of low income families.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
C

College coaches just don't want young 17/18 yr old freshman. So they mature on someon else's dime and comes to them ready to roll.

So then it really has nothing to do with academics and trying to improve your grades.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No. Cornell has tons of grant money available to meet the needs of low income families.

What a college thinks you can afford and what you actually can afford are often different. High Point may be able to offer more generous academic money to a student.
A student may be average for Cornell and get no academic money and the same student would be very above average for High Point and get significant academic money. Leaving college with zero debt verus $100-200K in debt

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You guys really don't get it yet, but you will. Grant money and aid money are based upon your income. For most people reading this board, you will not qualify for any free money based upon need.

You may get a few lax $ and perhaps a few merit/gpa $, but for aid you need to be very poor.

Say the family can afford 10k per year and say cornell also gave 10k, that means the kid is borrowing around 40k per year.

You really think it is a good bet for a kid to start off life with 160k in student loan debt?

Then he goes out and gets a job, if he is lucky, for 50k per year and lives in your basement for the next 5 years. People need to wake up and do the math both before school and then what the likely incomve levels are after school...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What a college thinks you can afford and what you actually can afford are often different. High Point may be able to offer more generous academic money to a student.
A student may be average for Cornell and get no academic money and the same student would be very above average for High Point and get significant academic money. Leaving college with zero debt verus $100-200K in debt

I'd rather my son (or our family) carry that debt than have a degree with no value in the marketplace. It's called an investment using leverage.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You guys really don't get it yet, but you will. Grant money and aid money are based upon your income. For most people reading this board, you will not qualify for any free money based upon need.

You may get a few lax $ and perhaps a few merit/gpa $, but for aid you need to be very poor.

Say the family can afford 10k per year and say cornell also gave 10k, that means the kid is borrowing around 40k per year.

You really think it is a good bet for a kid to start off life with 160k in student loan debt?

Then he goes out and gets a job, if he is lucky, for 50k per year and lives in your basement for the next 5 years. People need to wake up and do the math both before school and then what the likely incomve levels are after school...

It's quite common that an IVY grad is making $500k+ 10 years into their careers. The $160k will be all but forgotten about in the long run. Think bigger.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'd rather my son (or our family) carry that debt than have a degree with no value in the marketplace. It's called an investment using leverage.

Extreme and simply not true to suggest a degree from High Pint has no value. What if your son wants to turn around and become a HS teacher/lax coach? Is that zero value? Does that career path require an Ivy League degree? Academic money to pursue an education degree at an AE, NEC, MAAC or SOCON school may have a lot of value if you want to teach. A buddy of mine studied at Cornell and is now a cop. Great job, great degree, no justification for his Ivy debt.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It all depends on your major. An Ivy is great if you are going into finance, business, computer science etc. My son's social studies teacher in high school went to Cornell and played lax there. He is making what the guy/girl at the same pay step who went to Dowling makes. Nothing wrong with that, but it shows that the Ivy degree may not be worth it in some fields.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's quite common that an IVY grad is making $500k+ 10 years into their careers. The $160k will be all but forgotten about in the long run. Think bigger.

Sure there are individual cases where Ivy grads out pace non-Ivy at a significant pace. Your numbers are extreme and fail to cover the cost of the advanced degree. Most of your Ivy grads on Wall Street who are earning seven figures have MBA's or studied a technical major not commonly found on the lacrosse roster. Also earning an extra $50K per year to live in NY is not really worth it given the high cost of living.

I'd rather earn $150K living in the Southeast than $200K living in the Northeast.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is also quite common that an ivy grad is making $150g or less. So stop suggesting just cause you go ivy your going to be loaded.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is also quite common that an ivy grad is making $150g or less. So stop suggesting just cause you go ivy your going to be loaded.

What's with all the vitriol directed at IVYs? There's a heck of a lot more right going on at that schools than not. Its a great way to go if you can get in. Nobody can say otherwise and sound like they have two brain cells to rub together. Just stop and give those institutions the respect they deserve. They've been around building generations of leaders of countries and industries since the founding of this country and they'll be doing the same until the end.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From WHARTON Site. This is an MBA with no experience... most will double to triple that within 3-5 years.
The average starting full-time salary for the Class of 2012 was $120,000. This figure accounts for all industries in which the Class of 2012 accepted full-time employment. The expected salary for a graduating Wharton MBA depends upon the industry and company in which the student secures employment.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From WHARTON Site. This is an MBA with no experience... most will double to triple that within 3-5 years.
The average starting full-time salary for the Class of 2012 was $120,000. This figure accounts for all industries in which the Class of 2012 accepted full-time employment. The expected salary for a graduating Wharton MBA depends upon the industry and company in which the student secures employment.

Most laxers will require two years at Penn after their NCAA eligibility expires to get an MBA from Wharton. Undergrad/Lax at Penn is no guarantee of admission to Wharton for MBA. The $120,000 starting salary is in NY on Wall Street and is a salary you start earning at 25-26 years old, saddled with significant debt. You will have multiple rommates or live in a small/dirty studio for which you will pay more than half your take home salary. You will likely be layed off when the next financial downturn occurs. However, given the choice, I would prefer my son goes Ivy as well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am certainly not picking on IVY, but the jacka** picking on the kid that chose Highpoint needs to take a step back off of his high horse.

Not everyone wants or needs IVY. Most IVY don't go on to get an MBA from WHarton...and the schmuck that said that most IVY kids make $500k per year is clearly out of touch with reality.

Interview for Wall St every day and the pile is thick with IVY for entry level jobs. they don't have MBA and clearly no special skill, just another kid straddled with huge debt for the next ten years.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let's drop the comparatives to Ivy, but consider this question:

Which would serve your son best as a job / career candidate, your in-state tuition university or High Point at $60K plus? I think that is the punch point....the economics of high education. The undeniable best of all words is a military academy degree free with service after graduation. After that it is value on a dollar. Any rational analysis of High Point comes in thumbs down except for wanting to play Division 1 sports. Middle Tennessee State has that too, would the debate rage there too if they started a D1 lax program? Absolutely.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am certainly not picking on IVY, but the jacka** picking on the kid that chose Highpoint needs to take a step back off of his high horse.

Not everyone wants or needs IVY. Most IVY don't go on to get an MBA from WHarton...and the schmuck that said that most IVY kids make $500k per year is clearly out of touch with reality.

Interview for Wall St every day and the pile is thick with IVY for entry level jobs. they don't have MBA and clearly no special skill, just another kid straddled with huge debt for the next ten years.

I agree. No Ivy bashing but plenty of bashing of High Point on the last few pages.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let's drop the comparatives to Ivy, but consider this question:

Which would serve your son best as a job / career candidate, your in-state tuition university or High Point at $60K plus? I think that is the punch point....the economics of high education. The undeniable best of all words is a military academy degree free with service after graduation. After that it is value on a dollar. Any rational analysis of High Point comes in thumbs down except for wanting to play Division 1 sports. Middle Tennessee State has that too, would the debate rage there too if they started a D1 lax program? Absolutely.

I agree with you but there is one scenario that would make the choice to Highpoint a good one

Full ride made up of half lax money and half merit money. Then the kid goes for free and plays D-1 and get's perfect grades and then applies to the MBA program at Wharton...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What's with all the vitriol directed at IVYs? There's a heck of a lot more right going on at that schools than not. Its a great way to go if you can get in. Nobody can say otherwise and sound like they have two brain cells to rub together. Just stop and give those institutions the respect they deserve. They've been around building generations of leaders of countries and industries since the founding of this country and they'll be doing the same until the end.

Next they'll be suggesting that MIT and Stanford are also overrated.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I interview college graduates at a Wall Street firm, representing my line of business in evaluating candidates for the capital markets rotation program. Candidates will meet with someone from each LOB; equities, commodities, etc. After all candidates are seen, the LOB reps will meet to discuss each candidate and make a final hiring recommendation to human resources.

Never has the school been the deciding factor in the final decision. Never has an Ivy candidate been chosen because of that degree. In fact, an Ivy degree didn't give the candidate an edge. Instead, each candidate was evaluated on their educational achievements, finance related extracurricular activities, passion for the business, market knowledge, etc. Often, the non-Ivy candidates had a better resume and attitude. It always came down to the person and not the school.

Ensuring that your children are well rounded and motivated people is the key to their success, not the school they attend. Yes, strive for the best, always, but there are many factors that lead to success in business.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hear the St.Ants superstars from princeton & maryland taking after their dads! $$ friars clinic anyone?? Chips of the ole block. Thank god my son never went to that $$ pit.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I interview college graduates at a Wall Street firm, representing my line of business in evaluating candidates for the capital markets rotation program. Candidates will meet with someone from each LOB; equities, commodities, etc. After all candidates are seen, the LOB reps will meet to discuss each candidate and make a final hiring recommendation to human resources.

Never has the school been the deciding factor in the final decision. Never has an Ivy candidate been chosen because of that degree. In fact, an Ivy degree didn't give the candidate an edge. Instead, each candidate was evaluated on their educational achievements, finance related extracurricular activities, passion for the business, market knowledge, etc. Often, the non-Ivy candidates had a better resume and attitude. It always came down to the person and not the school.

Ensuring that your children are well rounded and motivated people is the key to their success, not the school they attend. Yes, strive for the best, always, but there are many factors that lead to success in business.

Nice to hear some reality. Thanks for telling us how many companies in this world work. And jeez. It wasn't based on them being a starter or how many goals they shot?!.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good lord, finally some real world factual information about Schools and Wall Street. Thank you for your eloquent insightful advice, based in fact and reality!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Uhhh, regardless of your political leanings, the current POTUS is a perfect example of the kind of "leaders" the Ivies produce. The only thing this guy is leading is the destruction of this once great country. Further, the "Ivies" stopped producing real leaders 30-40 years ago. Since, they have been extremely successful in producing "followers" of the ideology they teach.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My IVY bound will leave the institution with zero debt as it will be paid by me. That is my gift to him for all of his hard work.

The concept was to use lax as a tool to get him into the best school possible. Period.

The advantage and ball is in his court. What he does with it will remain to be seen. If I could not afford to do so; I would have directed him to take the commit offers from schools that offer but a realistic small percentage of the overall costs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Exactly how many High Point lax bros have you interviewed in the past 12 months?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good lord, finally some real world factual information about Schools and Wall Street. Thank you for your eloquent insightful advice, based in fact and reality!

Very good associate of mine was a two time national champion IVY grad. He got into our program based on his abilities ....and...at every interview he had; the interviewer was more interested in his athletics than anything else.

We started him at 350k. That was 10 years ago.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Uhhh, regardless of your political leanings, the current POTUS is a perfect example of the kind of "leaders" the Ivies produce. The only thing this guy is leading is the destruction of this once great country. Further, the "Ivies" stopped producing real leaders 30-40 years ago. Since, they have been extremely successful in producing "followers" of the ideology they teach.

If he's so terrible why was he elected TWICE. And why will the next female representative of his party (Yale Law School) be the next 8 year POTUS? Can more than 50% of the country be wrong for 16 years in a row? Face it, IVY grads rule the free world.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Very good associate of mine was a two time national champion IVY grad. He got into our program based on his abilities ....and...at every interview he had; the interviewer was more interested in his athletics than anything else.

We started him at 350k. That was 10 years ago.

Bam! Sign me up.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey buddy, unless you haven't been paying attention, the U.S. economy and unemployment has not been this good in 10 years. Hardly destroying this country. Sorry you've missed it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hear the St.Ants superstars from princeton & maryland taking after their dads! $$ friars clinic anyone?? Chips of the ole block. Thank god my son never went to that $$ pit.

Ivy degree put to good use! GO FRIAR$

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your son couldn't get in?? Believe me we are glad you are not a parent there !!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh yea. Here we go. My son is a commited to a top 10 school and is going to be a MD/PhD in 4 years. We get it. Good for him...... Better tey.....we dont have to listen to you bloviate on the sidelines.

Page 24 of 45 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard