BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 152 of 220 1 2 150 151 152 153 154 219 220
Re: Long Island Top Guns Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
lets start a new more productive thread ...so whats the best girls lax stick ....mid-field....attack...defense

Good idea!

Is the new Crux 500 worth the investment? I'm not sure nice stick for working in tight spaces but I don't know if it's a stick that anyone but attack can use. Pretty tough to get off a long pass with the stringing set up

Pocket borderline illegal right off the shelf. probably needs much adjustment during games

I wonder which girls on our roster will buy that stick - oh we don't have the roster!

Really, nobody cares that your roster isn't up but YOU!! Guess you'll see in the summer who has the stick!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
The only reason these parents want the rosters up is so they can [lacrosse] about the girls that were moved to another team. They don't care about anyone new because it's not like they know the girls anyway. They just want to complain about a girl that got moved that's not better than their daughter but her daddy is friends with BS. Same garbage every year. It happens on every team. You shouldn't be surprised when it happens on your team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[

It certainly helps the girls get name recognition and select team consideration when trying out. The girls become known quantities at YJs, name on uniforms is also essential for top players in recognition. My daughters played TGs for years, watch many games, never know who is who on field if watching any other team than my daughters. Individual YJ players become much better known and actually locally ( some nationally) famous. I can rattle off dozens of names of relevant YJ players and only a few TG. YJ is way ahead in developing and promoting its players, and in the end that is exactly what this is about.

Your Kidding right ?

I know, they must be kidding! The name on jerseys makes sense, but the rosters getting the girls name recognition??? That's funny!

In the case of YJ they absolutely background check directly from the rosters. In all these select group team tryouts ( not talking club) all the girls pre register, they cross check teams and age groups to see where kids are coming from. If you got 200 kids trying out, the couple TG black and YJ Blue that show up will be pre known. The evaluators have a rough draft roster heading into selections all based on roster hunting names. If nothing else it certainly gives kids the benefit of the doubt headed in and gets them looked at.

Finally! An intelligent answer to the question about posting rosters (not like that moron calling me a fool!). If this happens like you said, it makes sense. Thanks for the reply without any nonsense or name calling!

They ask the clubs for rosters, do you really think they jump online and start looking for your kids team??? [/quote]

Don't have to think, I know for a fact. Posting a roster may do nothing for a third or forth team player, but it certainly helps out the girls on top top team or two. May actually hurt girls on bottom teams as related to this aspect.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm going to post this on the 3 most active Girls threads in the hopes I can at least change the topic to something more interesting then this ongoing banter about the T.G to Y.J. defection.

Questions:
Do you think the Florida mandate on helmets in girls lacrosse will
a. spread to other states that are non hotbed areas, forcing a universal rule change
b. Stop non Florida teams from playing Florida teams
c. Burn it self out in a year or two and be dropped.

Do you think girls should be forced to use them

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Gotogoal
The only reason these parents want the rosters up is so they can [lacrosse] about the girls that were moved to another team. They don't care about anyone new because it's not like they know the girls anyway. They just want to complain about a girl that got moved that's not better than their daughter but her daddy is friends with BS. Same garbage every year. It happens on every team. You shouldn't be surprised when it happens on your team.

Exactly!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
I'm going to post this on the 3 most active Girls threads in the hopes I can at least change the topic to something more interesting then this ongoing banter about the T.G to Y.J. defection.

Questions:
a. spread to other states that are non hotbed areas, forcing a universal rule change

As the parent of a kid who has had two concussions in a year, I am paying attention to this. I don't have an answer though.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You need to get a job and off social services. Get a job and just STOP!!! Wow...you can't have any friends because your obsessive compulsive! People come on here for valuable information not to listen to you banter back and forth. FREEDOM OF SPEECHES must suck for you. Get a life!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger

Questions:

As the parent of a kid who has had two concussions in a year, I am paying attention to this. I don't have an answer though.
both from lacrosse and if so how

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
There is still so much that is unknown about this ruling. They still haven't decided on what is the appropriate helmet to wear. As a former football player, I don't think this will make a difference in the concussion discussion. Girls will feel more "protected" so they will play more aggressively on the field when that is not the case. If they require out of state teams to abide by their rules then teams will be deterred from traveling to Florida due to the extra cost of supplying a full team with helmets.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is still so much that is unknown about this ruling. They still haven't decided on what is the appropriate helmet to wear. As a former football player, I don't think this will make a difference in the concussion discussion. Girls will feel more "protected" so they will play more aggressively on the field when that is not the case. If they require out of state teams to abide by their rules then teams will be deterred from traveling to Florida due to the extra cost of supplying a full team with helmets.

I agree that helmets will only make the girls game more aggressive. Helmets really can't be the answer, as we see concussions constantly in hockey.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lets start a new more productive thread ...so whats the best girls lax stick ....mid-field....attack...defense

Good idea!

Is the new Crux 500 worth the investment? I'm not sure nice stick for working in tight spaces but I don't know if it's a stick that anyone but attack can use. Pretty tough to get off a long pass with the stringing set up

Very tough with the new pocket. Definitely for an older stronger player. There is definitely an adjusting period in getting used to this stick.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
http://www.newsday.com/sports/high-...mets-in-girls-lacrosse-debated-1.2930910

Article from 3 years ago. One of the athletes referenced in this article is also a TG coach this year. She also plays in college now.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Questions:

Not both from lacrosse, and if I factor in all my kids they all got them the same way: falling backward and whiplashing their heads to the ground.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Questions:

Not both from lacrosse, and if I factor in all my kids they all got them the same way: falling backward and whiplashing their heads to the ground.

Sorry to hear that ...but helmet would not help that situation

Like Reply Quote
Florida Soft Headgear Mandate
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First time ever posting here, but a worth while topic finally and a highly misunderstood one at that. First having been highly involved in the fight against "helmets" in New [lacrosse] I will say that helmets do not prevent concussions. Even the people who wanted helmets in New [lacrosse] begrudgingly admitted that fact and it is fact. Next, the Florida High School Athletic Association in July mandated "helmets" for the spring of 2015. If that mandate had remained it would have prevented out of state schools from playing Florida schools since hard helmets are prohibited from being worn by field players per US Lacrosse rules. However in their late September meeting the FHSAA changed the ruling to "soft headgear" instead of "helmets" since soft headgear is allowed within the US Lacrosse girls rules. In their ruling the FHSAA also said they are aware that helmets, or soft headgear, do not prevent concussions. The FHSAA also passed the following to the soft headgear September ruling, "the Board also approved an amendment that will require these products to meet American Society for Testing and Materials performance standards, when available." Since there currently is no standard yet for girls lacrosse soft headgear it is very much up in the air as to whether or not girls will be required to wear soft headgear in the spring of 2015 in Florida. Even the FHSAA in their amendment specificcally said "when avialable". Per US Lacrosse rules players may already wear soft head gear if they elect to. The Florida girls lacrosse advisory committee, made up mostly of Florida HS coaches, vehemently opposed the FHSAA mandates for the record. One of their many good reasons for this opposition was that in the Florida heat wearing this equipment could, and probably would, cause heat stroke.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Florida Soft Headgear Mandate
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PLEASE
Helmets help prevent concussions, how can anyone say that is not true?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PLEASE

Actually at the last rules committee meeting the board asked the doctors if helmets would prevent concussions and the doctors said that no helmet will prevent concussions. So the rules committee voted against them. The most concussed player in girls lacrosse is the goalie and she wears a helmet.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PLEASE

Actually at the last rules committee meeting the board asked the doctors if helmets would prevent concussions and the doctors said that no helmet will prevent concussions. So the rules committee voted against them. The most concussed player in girls lacrosse is the goalie and she wears a helmet.

Not exactly what was said . Helmets help prevent concussions in certain instances but there has been no conclusive study done in girls lacrosse. Would a helmet prevent certain instances of concussions , yes , but would that be off set by girls increasing the level of risk if wearing a helmet , no one knows . If you think that if goalies did not wear helmets they wouldn't get more concussions then that's just unrealistic

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PLEASE

Not exactly what was said . Helmets help prevent concussions in certain instances but there has been no conclusive study done in girls lacrosse. Would a helmet prevent certain instances of concussions , yes , but would that be off set by girls increasing the level of risk if wearing a helmet , no one knows . If you think that if goalies did not wear helmets they wouldn't get more concussions then that's just unrealistic

Hi Joe

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is why I said in my long post above thst helmets and concussions are a very misunderstood topic. I have been involved in many concussion discussions with medical professionals in my long capacity in womens/girls lacrosse and none of those medical professionals, who are actually in related medical fields, say that helmets prevent concussions. One can easily research the topic by googling helmets and concussions. Girls lacrosse is fifth on the list of sports sustasining concussions behind such helmeted sports as footbll (by far the most consussed sport), ice hockey, and boys lacrosse. Girls Soccer is third on the list. Goaltenders are the most concussed players on a girls lacrosse field because the force of the balls impact when shot into the helmet causes the brain to basically rattle against the skull. It is why there is a rule in girls lacrosse, which should be called more often, that hitting a goalie in the head with a shot is a major foul.
Here is the breakdown of sport concussions:
The below numbers indicate the amount of sports concussions taking place per 100,000 athletic exposures. An athletic exposure is defined as one athlete participating in one organized high school athletic practice or competition, regardless of the amount of time played.

Football: 64 -76.8
Boys' ice hockey: 54
Girl's soccer: 33
Boys' lacrosse: 40 - 46.6
Girls' lacrosse: 31 - 35
Boys' wrestling: 22 - 23.9
Girls' field hockey: 22 - 24.9
Boys' soccer: 19 - 19.2
Girls' basketball: 18.6 - 21
Girls' softball: 16 - 16.3
Boys' basketball: 16 - 21.2
Cheerleading: 11.5 to 14
Girls' gymnastics: 7
Girls' volleyball: 6 - 8.6
Boys' baseball: Between 4.6 - 5

Again all of this information can be easily looked up. Statisticlly concussions have dropped in girls lacrosse the last two years due to an emphasis on preventing dangerous checking, slashing, and checks to the head. Basically trying to keep the stick away from the head. However concussions still occur and no player, parent, coach, or official wants to see a player get a concussion. There are many sports related concussion studies going on these days to prevent concussions. We all hope they can shed more light on the problem, but putting girls in helmets, or soft head gear, is not the answer since any hard impact either by a stick or a ball will still cause the brain to "rattle". This is why people get concussions when they are rear ended in car accidents. It is the "whiplash" of the brain bouncing off the skull that does it. It is no different in sports, including girls lacrosse, the whiplash of an impact causes the concussion. Helmets do not stop this whiplash affect and just do not prevent concussions. It is an unfortunate medical and scientific fact.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
This is why I said in my long post above thst helmets and concussions are a very misunderstood topic. I have been involved in many concussion discussions with medical professionals in my long capacity in womens/girls lacrosse and none of those medical professionals, who are actually in related medical fields, say that helmets prevent concussions. One can easily research the topic by googling helmets and concussions. Girls lacrosse is fifth on the list of sports sustasining concussions behind such helmeted sports as footbll (by far the most consussed sport), ice hockey, and boys lacrosse. Girls Soccer is third on the list. Goaltenders are the most concussed players on a girls lacrosse field because the force of the balls impact when shot into the helmet causes the brain to basically rattle against the skull. It is why there is a rule in girls lacrosse, which should be called more often, that hitting a goalie in the head with a shot is a major foul.
Here is the breakdown of sport concussions:
The below numbers indicate the amount of sports concussions taking place per 100,000 athletic exposures. An athletic exposure is defined as one athlete participating in one organized high school athletic practice or competition, regardless of the amount of time played.

Football: 64 -76.8
Boys' ice hockey: 54
Girl's soccer: 33
Boys' lacrosse: 40 - 46.6
Girls' lacrosse: 31 - 35
Boys' wrestling: 22 - 23.9
Girls' field hockey: 22 - 24.9
Boys' soccer: 19 - 19.2
Girls' basketball: 18.6 - 21
Girls' softball: 16 - 16.3
Boys' basketball: 16 - 21.2
Cheerleading: 11.5 to 14
Girls' gymnastics: 7
Girls' volleyball: 6 - 8.6
Boys' baseball: Between 4.6 - 5

Again all of this information can be easily looked up. Statisticlly concussions have dropped in girls lacrosse the last two years due to an emphasis on preventing dangerous checking, slashing, and checks to the head. Basically trying to keep the stick away from the head. However concussions still occur and no player, parent, coach, or official wants to see a player get a concussion. There are many sports related concussion studies going on these days to prevent concussions. We all hope they can shed more light on the problem, but putting girls in helmets, or soft head gear, is not the answer since any hard impact either by a stick or a ball will still cause the brain to "rattle". This is why people get concussions when they are rear ended in car accidents. It is the "whiplash" of the brain bouncing off the skull that does it. It is no different in sports, including girls lacrosse, the whiplash of an impact causes the concussion. Helmets do not stop this whiplash affect and just do not prevent concussions. It is an unfortunate medical and scientific fact.

Thanks for all the info. It is news to me that helmets don't help prevent concussions, but as you say it's the brain rattling and a helmet can't prevent that.

So I guess those concussion bands don't do much either? I had started looking into them a while back and they claimed to disperse the force and help prevent concussion.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PLEASE

No headgear is failsafe and will prevent concussions. I feel that helmets or soft head gear may minimize the severity of a concussion (concussions are rated on severity). They may also protect from less severe injury. The question is, will the use change the way the game is played. If so it would negate any possible benefits.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
PLEASE

No headgear is failsafe and will prevent concussions. I feel that helmets or soft head gear may minimize the severity of a concussion (concussions are rated on severity). They may also protect from less severe injury. The question is, will the use change the way the game is played. If so it would negate any possible benefits.

I did some light googliing and it does seem helmets don't greatly minimize the risk of concussion. This is due to what a concussion is, which is your brain rattling around in the skull. You can look at this link for some numbers from the American Academy of Neurology, https://www.aan.com/PressRoom/home/PressRelease/1241

I also found this link from NYS that has a video of how concussions happen and the difference between different types of hits. Your forehead can break concrete with little damage but a hit from the side, or a whiplash, is a totally different ball of wax. http://www.nysportsconcussion.com/concussion.php

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where are the 2017 rosters?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where are the 2017 rosters?

That has been beaten to death. They're not up. When they're finalized they'll be up. Let's stay away from that topic for at least a day!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks like some of the other age groups will have 25 girls per roster. The 2021 purple team has a girl or two who isn't listed on their roster. So that team will have 25-26 girls. How many age groups are like this?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Looks like some of the other age groups will have 25 girls per roster. The 2021 purple team has a girl or two who isn't listed on their roster. So that team will have 25-26 girls. How many age groups are like this?

Looks like only 2022 black has a roster that size. Don't know why purple only has 17. Maybe there will be a change at that age group as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All of them except for the black teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
25-26 girls with one goalie is too many for any age. Elevate (21) and even YJ (24 w/2 goalies) don't pull that garbage. No wonder kids are leaving. Especially when the other teams have significantly less players. Every kid plays a third of a game? Bill needs to examine how he chooses teams and sets up the numbers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
25-26 girls with one goalie is too many for any age. Elevate (21) and even YJ (24 w/2 goalies) don't pull that garbage. No wonder kids are leaving. Especially when the other teams have significantly less players. Every kid plays a third of a game? Bill needs to examine how he chooses teams and sets up the numbers.

More than half last years yj rosters had 26 kids or more, wait until you see this years before you make that comparison

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2019 black 22 kids perfect

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good luck!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know at least 3 girls from 2017 and 2018 already committed to tg that will be at Yg tryouts tmrw. He's making his own bed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

More than half last years yj rosters had 26 kids or more, wait until you see this years before you make that comparison

FALSE

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know at least 3 girls from 2017 and 2018 already committed to tg that will be at Yg tryouts tmrw. He's making his own bed.

Ok well that's why you shouldn't get all worked up about roster numbers in October. When the dust settles the numbers will be different.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let us know how many go to YJ when posted, then again that's probably when the 17 rosters will be back up.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Looks like only 2022 black has a roster that size. Don't know why purple only has 17. Maybe there will be a change at that age group as well.

Every team in every age group that has a team below it, will have a full 24 roster when the dust settles. The only teams that end up with less are the bottom teams, white for some ages and purple in others. This year the rosters seem very unstable, lots of shifting, movement etc... Many girls rumored to be holding roster spots they intend not to play. YJ is going to have their pick of players, when CR posts rosters the TG rosters will settle in. You may even see some former Blue girls who were getting moved down to make room for incoming players, pop up on TG rosters at the end of all this.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not worked up about rosters. Could careless. Exactly what I thought at Yg teyouts. What I'm saying is that he's loosing ALOT of good players. There is just so much of BS you can take. Good luck to all.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not worked up about rosters. Could careless. Exactly what I thought at Yg teyouts. What I'm saying is that he's loosing ALOT of good players. There is just so much of BS you can take. Good luck to all.

We love Bill!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
first of all it's couldn't care less. He's losing not loosing and A Lot is not one word. Thanks

Like Reply Quote
Page 152 of 220 1 2 150 151 152 153 154 219 220
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard