BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 31 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 30 31
Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Happens all over long island. People allow power, money and hot air daddies to make the decision on which kid plays and doesn't play. Not always based on talent. Stop acting like it's not happening at your school....Three village, half hallow hills, cold spring harbors.. Same coaches doing school, travel, town teams.
Open your ears and your mouths .

What about the towns where they do play the best talent and the hot air daddys are saying the same as you.

Clearly a conflict of interest for the HS Coach to run a for profit summer program. More of a conflict when the program is only open to kids from the coaches HS. The problem is also compounded when influential parents are involved with the program. Not a good situation.

I

Sorry, I just do not see how anyone thinks that this is a good thing.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So true... Years ago parents would not dare to talk to the HS coach. To allow parents to get involved with HS athletics is contributing to the dimise of High School sports. This is the reason new travel programs are popping up every year. Parents are looking for a more even playing field for there kid. What ever happened to the days when kids were evaluated on the field.

If you feel your kid is good enough you need to do what is best for them. The truth of the matter is, that unless your school is one of the top programs, nobody is coming to recruit from your school. The coach is going to look out for their buddies are make recommendations for them and not necessarily the kids who deserve it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is the thing. What if your kid is on one of the top powerhouse programs and plays on their summer team as well. Even if your kid could start at a mid level program, at the power house he is a second line player. Forget the whole work harder thing, doing that but the kids ahead of him are just better in all honestly. Well normally, except for the graduating seniors, the lineups from the spring varsity season roll right into the summer. So your spot on the depth chart, unless a senior graduates, stays the same. You don't get the looks you can get by playing for an independent club and being a starting player. It's that simple. No controversy, just trying to get your athlete the best looks you can. Great teams with deep rosters always have quality players shorted or even cut. Sometimes, and I use that word carefully, you are better off going to a club and being one of the top guys instead of being a very good player on a truly stacked team.Remember it's not one size fits all. Strike a balance and do what is best for your son.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I miss the days when a lacrosse coach also coaches football and wrestling and didn't think about lacrosse until March 1, then on June 1, he would put his stick away while he gets ready for his life guard gig in the summer. The old school coach never got involved in our personal lives by asking "where are you going to college"?" and any way I can help"?. The good old days when you had HS lacrosse coaches for 3 months a year and none of his "extra" coaching B.S. like summer leagues, camps and youth programs. Coaches today suck!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I miss the days when a lacrosse coach also coaches football and wrestling and didn't think about lacrosse until March 1, then on June 1, he would put his stick away while he gets ready for his life guard gig in the summer. The old school coach never got involved in our personal lives by asking "where are you going to college"?" and any way I can help"?. The good old days when you had HS lacrosse coaches for 3 months a year and none of his "extra" coaching B.S. like summer leagues, camps and youth programs. Coaches today suck!!!

Great post. We had different coaches for each sport in HS but the point is that they only really cared about their sport during its normal season. Now it starts in 3rd/4th grade - lacrosse in the winter, soccer in the spring, etc. The kids want to play all the time so they can be with their friends and the parents think they need to play to keep up with Johnny or Susie. It's no wonder the kids start dropping like flies by the time they get to HS - they're burned out from playing 2-3 sports per season all year round.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can not have an rational discussion regarding this subject with anyone who will not admit that there is a conflict of interest. They know that it is wrong yet they refuse to admit it. They can not have an honest debate.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Coercion ( /koʊˈɜrʃən/) is the practice of forcing another party to behave in an involuntary manner (whether through action or inaction) by use of threats or intimidation or some other form of pressure or force. In law, coercion is codified as the duress crime. Such actions are used as leverage, to force the victim to act in the desired way. Coercion may involve the actual infliction of physical pain/injury or psychological harm in order to enhance the credibility of a threat. The threat of further harm may lead to the cooperation or obedience of the person being coerced

Last I read this is a felony and punishable by imprisonment maybe the AD should get involved or school board.

agree

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jerry, just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it. – George Costanza cry

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can not have an rational discussion regarding this subject with anyone who will not admit that there is a conflict of interest. They know that it is wrong yet they refuse to admit it. They can not have an honest debate.

sounds like you are saying you can not have a rational discussion with someone who does not agree with you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi, my name is George, I'm unemployed and I live with my parents. –George Costanza cool

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

sounds like you are saying you can not have a rational discussion with someone who does not agree with you.

You can't have a rational discussion with an ideologue.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You can't have a rational discussion with an ideologue.

I'm curious, can you admit that it might not be a conflict of interest?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can see how it can be a conflict of interest or better yet perceived as a conflict of interest.

Here is my stance as a parent in the middle. Anyone who coaches my son should get paid. HS and Travel coaches do not get paid very much. I have no problem with a skilled coach trying to gain $$. If he is good the kids will want to play and the parents will want to pay.

My town school coaches do not interfere with the youth programs. I wish they did; they have been invited. Our town has a great core of boys in the odd Grad years and can be augmented with a handful of amazing players in the even grad years. My town also has dedicated and knowledgeable dads to help (that is at times also a problem - the reason the school coaches were asked to help). But the town school coaches keep a distance till HS.

How I see this as an issue is when the town does not have a good group to work with. When that happens the better players do not want to stay in town and the parents (doing as they should as parents) try to put their child in the best position possible so their child does not play down to the town level. (might be to harsh of a statement but you understand)

In this case, I believe the best way for the player to get better (and not get surpassed once puberty happens) is to train, play and work harder with players of or above their ability. In particularly with a vast array of players OUTSIDE OF THE TOWN.

Now I will say I wish my school coaches got involved, but I also think there is plenty of time/room/weekend to fit both travel and school in but I am sure there will be some who say be careful what you wish for.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can see how it can be a conflict of interest or better yet perceived as a conflict of interest.

Here is my stance as a parent in the middle. Anyone who coaches my son should get paid. HS and Travel coaches do not get paid very much. I have no problem with a skilled coach trying to gain $$. If he is good the kids will want to play and the parents will want to pay.

My town school coaches do not interfere with the youth programs. I wish they did; they have been invited. Our town has a great core of boys in the odd Grad years and can be augmented with a handful of amazing players in the even grad years. My town also has dedicated and knowledgeable dads to help (that is at times also a problem - the reason the school coaches were asked to help). But the town school coaches keep a distance till HS.

How I see this as an issue is when the town does not have a good group to work with. When that happens the better players do not want to stay in town and the parents (doing as they should as parents) try to put their child in the best position possible so their child does not play down to the town level. (might be to harsh of a statement but you understand)

In this case, I believe the best way for the player to get better (and not get surpassed once puberty happens) is to train, play and work harder with players of or above their ability. In particularly with a vast array of players OUTSIDE OF THE TOWN.

Now I will say I wish my school coaches got involved, but I also think there is plenty of time/room/weekend to fit both travel and school in but I am sure there will be some who say be careful what you wish for.

It's certainly nice to read a reasonable and intelligently written post.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by lax516
In the last few years there has been a disturbing trend as HS coaches try and cash in on the for profit (or questionable non for profit) summer tournament teams. It started when some business minded coaches started open tryout teams, now the trend is HS coaches charging big fee's for summer teams that draw exclusively from there own school districts. How do public schools allow this type of quid pro quo to occur? Its one thing when you pay for a summer program and also pay to attend a private school which shares the same coach. Now it seems you have to pay the head coach of the public school boys/ girls teams to get on the field. The Conflicts of interest seem to run so deep yet it continues. Which program is the coach incentified to develop? The School district program or the one that pays him cash on top of their salary? How do they not play undeserving kids that have been paying them every summer? Are kids punished if they play for a competing club? This seams to be a hot topic issue in the towns these teams exist, i am interested to hear others experiences.

Above is the original post.

I did not go and read all of posts so can someone please explain how it is not a conflict of interest for a HS Coach to run a for-profit team that has only players from the school that he or she coaches at?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In the last few years there has been a disturbing trend as HS coaches try and cash in on the for profit (or questionable non for profit) summer tournament teams. It started when some business minded coaches started open tryout teams, now the trend is HS coaches charging big fee's for summer teams that draw exclusively from there own school districts. How do public schools allow this type of quid pro quo to occur? Its one thing when you pay for a summer program and also pay to attend a private school which shares the same coach. Now it seems you have to pay the head coach of the public school boys/ girls teams to get on the field. The Conflicts of interest seem to run so deep yet it continues. Which program is the coach incentified to develop? The School district program or the one that pays him cash on top of their salary? How do they not play undeserving kids that have been paying them every summer? Are kids punished if they play for a competing club? This seams to be a hot topic issue in the towns these teams exist, i am interested to hear others experiences.

I did not go and read all of posts so can someone please explain how it is not a conflict of interest for a HS Coach to run a for-profit team that has only players from the school that he or she coaches at?

It is not a conflict of interest if kids have the option to play on the team or play on a private summer team or not play lacrosse over the summer without ramifications and in the spring the coach plays the best 10 players in the spring.

It is a perceived conflict of interest if kids/parents are afraid to not play for fear of losing playing time or not getting moved up ect. in the spring

It is a conflict of interest when it is made clear that if you do not play for the HS coaches for profit summer team you will lose playing time or other benefits that you would have gotten if you had played.

IMHO - I would rather live in a town with a high school coach that is dedicated to the program, involved in the youth programs and the summer team, makes a little money on the summer team rather then the guys that show up on March 1st.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It is not a conflict of interest if kids have the option to play on the team or play on a private summer team or not play lacrosse over the summer without ramifications and in the spring the coach plays the best 10 players in the spring.

It is a perceived conflict of interest if kids/parents are afraid to not play for fear of losing playing time or not getting moved up ect. in the spring

It is a conflict of interest when it is made clear that if you do not play for the HS coaches for profit summer team you will lose playing time or other benefits that you would have gotten if you had played.

IMHO - I would rather live in a town with a high school coach that is dedicated to the program, involved in the youth programs and the summer team, makes a little money on the summer team rather then the guys that show up on March 1st.

I agree with this post. Of course I am the one who wrote the other post who's school coaches keep a safe distance from the youth program.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I do not think that there is any correlation between success in the spring and where the kids play in the summer.

Massapequa and Smithtown East kids play for various clubs. Traditionally Garden City and Manhasset kids have played Club Ball in the summer. Syosset kids play Club and Town. West Islip kids play for West Islip. Ward Melville kids have done both.

I think the broader the experience the better. Playing with different players and playing for different coaches can help a player in their development. There can be no question that playing on one of the “Top” Club Teams has certain benefits.
Access to the top recruiting showcases, participation in the most competitive tournaments, excellent coaching, playing with the strongest players and an additional advocate for your son are all positive. These benefits are most important for the rising 9th and 10th graders and maybe the rising 11th graders as well.

If the HS Coach turns a profit off the “Town Club Team” and there is the slightest hint that there will be repercussions if you do not play for that team then there is a conflict of interest. If playing for a club team is held against a player there is a problem. They say that perception is reality so if the perception is that you have to play for the Town Team “or else” there is a problem.

In the end, I think there is a conflict of interest especially if the HS is involved at the younger grades.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I do not think that there is any correlation between success in the spring and where the kids play in the summer.

Massapequa and Smithtown East kids play for various clubs. Traditionally Garden City and Manhasset kids have played Club Ball in the summer. Syosset kids play Club and Town. West Islip kids play for West Islip. Ward Melville kids have done both.

I think the broader the experience the better. Playing with different players and playing for different coaches can help a player in their development. There can be no question that playing on one of the “Top” Club Teams has certain benefits.
Access to the top recruiting showcases, participation in the most competitive tournaments, excellent coaching, playing with the strongest players and an additional advocate for your son are all positive. These benefits are most important for the rising 9th and 10th graders and maybe the rising 11th graders as well.

If the HS Coach turns a profit off the “Town Club Team” and there is the slightest hint that there will be repercussions if you do not play for that team then there is a conflict of interest. If playing for a club team is held against a player there is a problem. They say that perception is reality so if the perception is that you have to play for the Town Team “or else” there is a problem.

In the end, I think there is a conflict of interest especially if the HS is involved at the younger grades.

Of course you will never get an admission from the HS coach if your club playing kid suddenly gets cut or rides the bench. None are stupid enough to tell you "it is because you didn't play for my summer program." There are 100 reasons the coach can come up with to justify his actions and how do you prove it was because your son opted out of the coach's summer for-profit program? Good luck with that one......and therein lies a major conflict. This is a fairly new development so time will tell how much is perception and paranoia vs. actual reality. If outside club kids continue to get major roles on the varsity and are not penalized in any way then perhaps it is a win-win for everyone. Not sure yet though.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Of course you will never get an admission from the HS coach if your club playing kid suddenly gets cut or rides the bench. None are stupid enough to tell you "it is because you didn't play for my summer program." There are 100 reasons the coach can come up with to justify his actions and how do you prove it was because your son opted out of the coach's summer for-profit program? Good luck with that one......and therein lies a major conflict. This is a fairly new development so time will tell how much is perception and paranoia vs. actual reality. If outside club kids continue to get major roles on the varsity and are not penalized in any way then perhaps it is a win-win for everyone. Not sure yet though.

It should be a win - win, more kids playing over the summer . If the three or four strongest players are off playing club it gives the HS coaches a chance to work with and develop some of the kids that are not as strong. Wouldn't that help the HS team? Maybe it would not help the summer team win but I think overall it would be a positive thing for the school team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How about the HS coach removing a kid from his summer program once he learns the kid is going to one of the Catholic high schools?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once PAL is over and the kids are going into HS if they choose to attend a private school why would you expect to be involved with the HS program?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once PAL is over and the kids are going into HS if they choose to attend a private school why would you expect to be involved with the HS program?

Because maybe a kid wants to go to St. Anthony's but still play summer lacrosse with his friends from growing up on the same summer team they've all been on since 5th grade......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If the summer program is not affiliated with the high school (except for it being a town program and run by HS coaches why can't a kid from that town still play even if they are going to private schhol??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If the summer program is not affiliated with the high school (except for it being a town program and run by HS coaches why can't a kid from that town still play even if they are going to private schhol??

Town PAL programs are the feeder systems for Town HS Varsity. In my town the offseason training, winter & summer leagues are run by the Varsity Booster Club. If your kid chooses to go to Private School and is not going to be playing for the local school they are not invited to participate.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Town PAL programs are the feeder systems for Town HS Varsity. In my town the offseason training, winter & summer leagues are run by the Varsity Booster Club. If your kid chooses to go to Private School and is not going to be playing for the local school they are not invited to participate.

It's a town program, to say a kid can't play since he's not going to town HS is wrong. He lives in the town should be aloud to play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's a town program, to say a kid can't play since he's not going to town HS is wrong. He lives in the town should be aloud to play.

Once youth league finishes and the HS coach starts overseeing off season training why would they invite a kid that is not part of their program. Once you decide to leave you can't come back !

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Once youth league finishes and the HS coach starts overseeing off season training why would they invite a kid that is not part of their program. Once you decide to leave you can't come back !

Again, it's a program that can't be affiliated with the school district, so anyone should be allowed to play. If HS coaches are in charge then it's a conflict of interest.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Again, it's a program that can't be affiliated with the school district, so anyone should be allowed to play. If HS coaches are in charge then it's a conflict of interest.

My towns HS coach oversees the offseason program it is run in house and not for profit and it only for kids attending the public school

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If the practices are on school grounds then as a tax paying member of the district he has a right to be there

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If the practices are on school grounds then as a tax paying member of the district he has a right to be there

He or she can come on down and watch.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I guess that is the question: Is it a HS program (in which case sanctioned by the school district etc) or is it a private enterprise run by the HS coach? I think it is pretty clearly the latter. So if it is a private, stand alone organization why does he care where your kid goes to HS? I am sure someone will jump on here and say you cannot play Express unless you go to Chaminade or St. Anthony's...but that is not true. This is different.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]

If you put a coach in a position that he has to take a kid on tHat kid is going to collect dust on the sidelines. In our district we did take on kids who wanted to play that went to a private school but we were always hurting for numbers. In a case like ESM they don't need you and shouldn't have to take you. The summer is something that coach does for no pay as a service to his kids and it's a good thing as they are trying to get the kids some looks from schools. I say as long as the coach isn't making a huge profit and he is giving everyone a decent amount of playing time it's all good

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Which high school has the worst Administration? Worst Athletic Director?

Think about the concerns that you have. Where do the issues lie?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Which high school has the worst Administration? Worst Athletic Director?

Think about the concerns that you have. Where do the issues lie?

How many Ad's does a district have? Are there assistant Ad's? What is an Athletic Chair?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It smells.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]

If you put a coach in a position that he has to take a kid on tHat kid is going to collect dust on the sidelines. In our district we did take on kids who wanted to play that went to a private school but we were always hurting for numbers. In a case like ESM they don't need you and shouldn't have to take you. The summer is something that coach does for no pay as a service to his kids and it's a good thing as they are trying to get the kids some looks from schools. I say as long as the coach isn't making a huge profit and he is giving everyone a decent amount of playing time it's all good

First- the notion that paying your taxes entitles your kid to make or plan on a summer travel team that's not affiliated with your school district if a joke.

Second- go play for you private schools non affiliated summer travel team

Third- you'd be the same parent complaining if the summer team took kids from other towns bc they needed numbers and that took away from your kids playing time

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are coaches allowed to ask for money for school fall ball and claim it's for gas money and time away from their families? Wondering if this is school policy?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are coaches allowed to ask for money for school fall ball and claim it's for gas money and time away from their families? Wondering if this is school policy?

Who is going to stop them?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who is going to stop them?

Administration. Soliciting funds from players is not allowed at public schools.

Like Reply Quote
Page 17 of 31 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 30 31
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard