BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,636
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 33 of 45 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 44 45
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Amen!!!

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In football part of the bargain is remaining an elite recruit. Not nearly all the top recruits go early, in fact most wait it out to decide since there are no relative better deals. Every D1 football scholarship is a full scholarship. Yes, D1 football coaches will drop an offer when they see a kid who for any reason got off the rails with school, found trouble but also if they just didn't stick with the training and it shows up on the field. Happens in the biggest real sport. As lacrosse catches up toward being a real D1 sport with the same pressures on coaches to win, you will see early recruits who don't pan out getting dropped before an NLI. I'm pretty cautious with our son to let him know there is a bargain he needs to meet in the classroom and on the field, and he would not want to be the kid who walked around as an early commit for three years only to see himself set aside to make room for a kid who outworked him for the spot. I don't see this as over until the NLI and until then being a commit is a nice accolade but not one to rest for one moment on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
In football part of the bargain is remaining an elite recruit. Not nearly all the top recruits go early, in fact most wait it out to decide since there are no relative better deals. Every D1 football scholarship is a full scholarship. Yes, D1 football coaches will drop an offer when they see a kid who for any reason got off the rails with school, found trouble but also if they just didn't stick with the training and it shows up on the field. Happens in the biggest real sport. As lacrosse catches up toward being a real D1 sport with the same pressures on coaches to win, you will see early recruits who don't pan out getting dropped before an NLI. I'm pretty cautious with our son to let him know there is a bargain he needs to meet in the classroom and on the field, and he would not want to be the kid who walked around as an early commit for three years only to see himself set aside to make room for a kid who outworked him for the spot. I don't see this as over until the NLI and until then being a commit is a nice accolade but not one to rest for one moment on.

Although I do not see lacrosse ever being a true revenue sport, the pressure on coaches to win will be there. That will lead to lacrosse recruiting going the same way as football recruiting with multiple changes in commitments, last minute changes, and photo op events at NLI signings. "Poaching" has begun and will expand. As most players and parents understand, the real hard work begins upon a verbal commitment. The pressure to perform under scrutiny, maintain or improve grades, and continue to improve as a player all increase at that time. Nothing is cast until the NLI is signed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Serious question. If my son is currently in 8th grade, what's the best way to reclassify him to the grade below without spending $50k/year on a prep school? Luckily I can afford it but that doesn't mean that I want to part with that money. Hoping there's a cheaper way. I'm asking on this thread because I'm sure some of you have crossed this bridge and hopefully figured it out. Thanks for sharing any insights.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My question is why? Is he struggling academically, socially? Can't see why people would reclassify for any other reason.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Serious question. If my son is currently in 8th grade, what's the best way to reclassify him to the grade below without spending $50k/year on a prep school? Luckily I can afford it but that doesn't mean that I want to part with that money. Hoping there's a cheaper way. I'm asking on this thread because I'm sure some of you have crossed this bridge and hopefully figured it out. Thanks for sharing any insights.

So, you want your son to be a cheating loser? Sad

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nothing you can do aside from shelling out private school tuition through high school. Public schools won't allow repeats in grades for sports reasons

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stony Brook Football is 98 full scholarships. Most Schools hit the 98.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If the only cheating is to this man's financial health why do react that way? If there is no rule against reclassifying then its not cheating. The only thing he is hurting is his checkbook. Personally, I'd like to hear a good answer to his question as I'm sure we've all thought about it at some point.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't take the bait on this question. Go away tool.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If the only cheating is to this man's financial health why do react that way? If there is no rule against reclassifying then its not cheating. The only thing he is hurting is his checkbook. Personally, I'd like to hear a good answer to his question as I'm sure we've all thought about it at some point.

You know it's cheating. Trying to get an edge. If your kid is not good enough now, holding him back will ultimately destroy his artificially inflated self-esteem when the others catch up and put him back where he belongs. A cheating weasel like his parents! And the legit folks will love to see you get what you and your kid deserve!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You know it's cheating. Trying to get an edge. If your kid is not good enough now, holding him back will ultimately destroy his artificially inflated self-esteem when the others catch up and put him back where he belongs. A cheating weasel like his parents! And the legit folks will love to see you get what you and your kid deserve!

So trying to get an edge is cheating? If so, then are all private school kids cheaters? Their parents are paying a ton of extra money to get them an edge over other kids for.....college admissions??? Are kids who use tutors cheaters????? Time to move along people. You probably also get really angry at people that use two lanes up to a merge, right?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So trying to get an edge is cheating? If so, then are all private school kids cheaters? Their parents are paying a ton of extra money to get them an edge over other kids for.....college admissions??? Are kids who use tutors cheaters????? Time to move along people. You probably also get really angry at people that use two lanes up to a merge, right?

YES,YES and YES! Just remember money doesn't always buy happiness. Be a person of moral and ethical values. Do what you know is right, and things will work out. Just because others think they are beating the system doesn't mean you have to jump in and join them. I wish all the real lacrosse players the best of luck. As for the cheaters, you will get what you deserve! Wasted money, social stigma, and embarrassment when your plan doesn't work out the way you thought. And you will deserve everything you get!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For the record; 91 went 2-1 at philly.

Yeah, they got beat fair and square by 3D, but I think it was more lack of discipline and not taking it serious and the game got out of hand after the 1/2.

A stern talking to between games seemed to have smacked some sense into them and they played like they were supposed to against prime time (no slouch team) and tomahawks.

Perhaps they are resting on their individual laurels or what ever, but if they pull kit together it would be interesting to see what they can do.

Brief flashes of brilliance just don't cut it. Consistency and a will to win seem to be lacking. Disappointment on the sidelines is not going unnoticed, I can tell you that, and a sense of entitlement is not going to win big games either.

There really is no excuse. They are better than they play. I challenge them to rise up this spring and summer and make a statement.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If there is no rule against reclassifying then its not cheating. [/quote]

Might be the most ignorant, and oft repeated comment here, ever.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't take the bait on this question. Go away tool.

Just have him fail all of his classes.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty Xander's Philly Showcase noteable 2017 players is very light on LI players;

DOZENS OF 2016S AND 2017S LEAVE THEIR MARK ON THE PHILLY SHOWCASE, A PRIME OPPORTUNITY FOR UNCOMMITTEDS

Without a doubt the most attended of the fall for NCAA coaches, the Philly Showcase has turned into a can’t miss weekend for players, coaches and media alike. The people at NXT Sports do a remarkable job running the weekend on the immaculate campus of Episcopal Academy and simply know how to run an event down to every single detail.

Though the vast amount of 2017 verbals may have slightly affected the level of play, there were zero complaints on my end. Well, except for the treacherous cold conditions. Well over 100 college coaches made the trip – some staffs doubling up for the weekend – whether it was a high Division I like UNC or Notre Dame looking for the so-called late bloomer, mid-to-high D1′s hoping to start gathering some names for their recruiting board or DII and DIII’s getting things going in the 2016 class. There were very few committed players (I’d estimate under 10) in attendance, however dozens of recruits helped their college options with standout performances.

Since I essentially set up shop in the Philly suburbs on November weekends, I stopped by the NXT Charity Showdown on a super cold Friday night in the southern part of the city to watch a few players in particular for my own personal notes. Then on Saturday, I spent much of the day trying to see as many 2017′s as I possibly could, making time for juniors when time allowed. Also stayed for the King of the X competition and 1.5 All-Star Games before succumbing to the cold and heading into the warmth to watch my beloved Crimson Tide knock off top-ranked Mississippi State.

I’m rambling now and you really don’t care, so now onto who caught my eye on Sunday. Before I do that, however, I have to thank people like Andy Hayes, Brett Manney, Marty Kupprion and Matt Chandik (among many others) who made it an awesome weekend with great hospitality. Pumped to be back next weekend for the Philly Freshman Showcase.

Here’s who impressed, along with All-Star rosters for 2016′s and 2017′s:

Alex Calkins, M, CBA-Syracuse (N.Y.) / Upstate Elite - Passing the eye test, Calkins is a big body who doesn’t beat defenders based on foot speed but with well executed dodges and a quick overhand release on his outside shot. Ric Beardsley’s pupil hustles hard and was able to make a series of nice plays in overtime, including a gorgeous look to Thomas Tenney to make it 4-2. Based on his performance over the weekend, I’d imagine that his college options will increase.

Matthew Cameron, M, Blue Ridge (Va.) / West Coast Starz – A Western Canadian, the lefty British Columbia native has an absolute laser of an outside shot, which he sometimes confidently stroked from near the restraining line. He has some pretty nice foot speed and was able to stretch the defensive with regularity, also doing a nice job in the All-Star Game.

Jacob Coleman, G, Riverhead (N.Y.) / LI Outlaws – Coleman consistently intimidated and baited shooters with his play, holding his ground and calmly collecting save after save when I watched him in the morning. He was great on low shots and had a bevy of great stops as well as money outlets to breaking midfielders and longpoles. Strong Division I re

Gavin Garrity-Rokous, M/FO, Middlesex (Mass.) / Laxachusetts – Hard nosed and scrappy, Garrity-Rokous had one of the best plays of the All-Star Game. It was a sick individual effort, spinning and bouncing off defenders before roll-dodging into a low shot. A lefty, he does a lot of things well and helped his team all day between the lines with heads up plays.

David Gottesman, G, Wando (S.C.) / Loggerheads – Here’s an intriguing prospect from the South, who despite his non-traditional hotbed status, has very strong technique and communication habits. Gottesman’s height is more than adequate, which allowed him to intercept a few passes when I watched him. He’s a surefire Division I recruit, though he’ll need to touch up his consistency first, as a goal or two went in that he should have stopped.

Jimmy Heidt, A, Brunswick (Conn.) / Eclipse – A crafty and explosive dodger, Heidt was often get to the spots of the field where he was most successful, within eight yards or so where the Greenwich native also showed impressive vision. Love his slick hands, IQ and footwork – three assets I can see thriving in the Ivy or Patriot League, among others.

Woody Kelly, M, Gilman (Md.) / FCA – Kelly is a player who, despite missing the All-Star Game, should feel very confident about the way he showcased his skills over the weekend. He possesses a fundamentally sound shot on the run, a lights out first step from up top and impressive two-handedness. Cashed in whenever he had the opportunity for time and room shots.

Jack Kiernan, A, Ridgewood (N.J.) / NJ Riot – What a talented lefty Kiernan is, following up a fantastic Saturday with a great Sunday at fl$ in 3d from what I’ve heard. He’s shifty and confident when the ball is in his stick, giving defenses fits from all over the field with his dodging style and super-quick and accurate shot. Clearly a player who knows how to play the game and make the right decisions, also showing off some nice plays in the riding game.

Ryan Magnuson, M, Northport (N.Y.) / Team 91 – Though his speed isn’t excellent, Magnuson is a force as a downhill dodger with a strong overhand shot. He’s another player who will have to work on bringing it 100 percent of the time, however I really like Magnuson’s playmaking between the lines and ability to pick up groundballs. Have to think that he’ll be scooped up soon.

Mac Perry, D, Phillips Exeter (N.H.) / 3d New England – Superb off the ground and a fantastic 1-on-1 cover man, Perry looks the part of a high Division I defender due to his size and long arms. He’s a pest (a sizable compliment to any defender), meaning that he stays on the opponent’s hands and makes their life difficult. Showed some nice wheels and knew exactly when to slide, collapsing on ball carriers and disrupting offenses.

Kyle Prouty, M/FO, New Egypt (N.J.) / Leading Edge – The winner of the King of the X competition, Prouty showed exceptional well roundedness on the day. He’s not just a FOGO, he’s a slick little guy who is more than adequate playing defense or making runs out of the midfield. On the draws, Prouty was virtually automatic, popping the ball out to his wings or in front of him to create instant offense.

Reid Shilling ’17, D, Deerfield (Mass.) / Fighting Clams – After enjoying what Shilling brought to the table in the summer circuit, I came away very impressed with what he did this weekend. He was a tremendous asset in transition, demonstrated special footwork and lateral movement and an active stick which he put in the passing lanes. Surprised that he’s still available, though that could change before the calendar year is up.

Colby Smith ’17, M, Hempfield (Pa.) / NXT – It’s safe to say that after an awesome fall, the Ohio State commit has almost definitely made his way into the Top 75 rankings. Marked him down for an unofficial two goals and an assist in the 2017 All-Star Game, where he was arguably the best player on the field. Smith was constantly able to get a step on his man, blowing by longpoles and shorties before unleashing a well-placed shot that came screaming past the goalie. Heck of a player with all of the tools.

Tommy Sopko, A, Conestoga (Pa.) / NXT – There was a lot of chatter about Sopko coming from college coaches on the sidelines, as he put up two excellent goals, including a wildly impressive long range bomb with his left hand. Extremely two-handed and versatile, one play that stood out earlier in the day was when he ran out of the box, caught a pass, exploited his defender and unleashed a beauty of a low-to-low shot. Put himself in a great position this fall with multiple big-time showings.

OTHERS WHO IMPRESSED

Teddy Batson, D, St. James (Md.) / Crabs
Jack Calderone, D, Cherry Creek (Colo.) / 3d
Nicholas Casner, A, CBA-Syracuse (N.Y.) / United – SIENA
Jac Cutillo, M, Kings Park (N.Y.) / Team 91
Hunter Fasanaro, A, Weddington (N.C.) / Top Tier
Finn Gibbons, A, Garden City (N.Y.) / 3d New England
Samuel Goforth, M/FO, Bishop Shanahan (Pa.) / Freedom
James Hall, A, Massapequa (N.Y.) / True Blue
Michael Hawkins, A, Glastonbury (Conn.) / CT Cardinals
Tommy Nook, A, University (Oh.) / Titanium
Brendan O’Hara, G, Holderness (N.J.) / Tri-State
Eric Overbay, M, Lambert (Ga.) / Atlanta Rage
Kellen Paradine, D, Chaminade (N.Y.) / True Blue
David Peterson, D, Sacred Heart (Calif.) / ADVNC
John Psyllos, A, Manhasset (N.Y.) / LI Express
Nick Salameda, LSM, Archmere Academy (Del.) / Crabs
Riley Stewart, M, Darien (Conn.) / CT Chargers – PRINCETON
Cade Stratton, A, Ridley (Pa.) / HEADstrong
Thomas Tenney, A, Governor’s (Mass.) / Prime Time
Joe Theuer, G, Loyola (Calif.) / West Coast Starz
Kyle Tiernan, D, John Glenn-Elwood (N.Y.) / Team 91
Mick Upchurch, D, McCallie (Tenn.) / LB3
John Whiting, LSM/FO, Lawrenceville (N.J.) / 3d

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ive seen some do a "repeat" year at Buckley and then back to the public. Not sure what the bill was though.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Although I do not see lacrosse ever being a true revenue sport, the pressure on coaches to win will be there. That will lead to lacrosse recruiting going the same way as football recruiting with multiple changes in commitments, last minute changes, and photo op events at NLI signings. "Poaching" has begun and will expand. As most players and parents understand, the real hard work begins upon a verbal commitment. The pressure to perform under scrutiny, maintain or improve grades, and continue to improve as a player all increase at that time. Nothing is cast until the NLI is signed.

My son has not yet verbally committed yet but I have a question to those whose kid(s) have verbally committed - does the school condition that committment on anything? E.G., maintain a certain GPA? Minimum SAT/ACT score? Thanks

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

DOZENS OF 2016S AND 2017S LEAVE THEIR MARK ON THE PHILLY SHOWCASE, A PRIME OPPORTUNITY FOR UNCOMMITTEDS

Without a doubt the most attended of the fall for NCAA coaches, the Philly Showcase has turned into a can’t miss weekend for players, coaches and media alike. The people at NXT Sports do a remarkable job running the weekend on the immaculate campus of Episcopal Academy and simply know how to run an event down to every single detail.

Though the vast amount of 2017 verbals may have slightly affected the level of play, there were zero complaints on my end. Well, except for the treacherous cold conditions. Well over 100 college coaches made the trip – some staffs doubling up for the weekend – whether it was a high Division I like UNC or Notre Dame looking for the so-called late bloomer, mid-to-high D1′s hoping to start gathering some names for their recruiting board or DII and DIII’s getting things going in the 2016 class. There were very few committed players (I’d estimate under 10) in attendance, however dozens of recruits helped their college options with standout performances.

Since I essentially set up shop in the Philly suburbs on November weekends, I stopped by the NXT Charity Showdown on a super cold Friday night in the southern part of the city to watch a few players in particular for my own personal notes. Then on Saturday, I spent much of the day trying to see as many 2017′s as I possibly could, making time for juniors when time allowed. Also stayed for the King of the X competition and 1.5 All-Star Games before succumbing to the cold and heading into the warmth to watch my beloved Crimson Tide knock off top-ranked Mississippi State.

I’m rambling now and you really don’t care, so now onto who caught my eye on Sunday. Before I do that, however, I have to thank people like Andy Hayes, Brett Manney, Marty Kupprion and Matt Chandik (among many others) who made it an awesome weekend with great hospitality. Pumped to be back next weekend for the Philly Freshman Showcase.

Alex Calkins, M, CBA-Syracuse (N.Y.) / Upstate Elite - Passing the eye test, Calkins is a big body who doesn’t beat defenders based on foot speed but with well executed dodges and a quick overhand release on his outside shot. Ric Beardsley’s pupil hustles hard and was able to make a series of nice plays in overtime, including a gorgeous look to Thomas Tenney to make it 4-2. Based on his performance over the weekend, I’d imagine that his college options will increase.

Matthew Cameron, M, Blue Ridge (Va.) / West Coast Starz – A Western Canadian, the lefty British Columbia native has an absolute laser of an outside shot, which he sometimes confidently stroked from near the restraining line. He has some pretty nice foot speed and was able to stretch the defensive with regularity, also doing a nice job in the All-Star Game.

Jacob Coleman, G, Riverhead (N.Y.) / LI Outlaws – Coleman consistently intimidated and baited shooters with his play, holding his ground and calmly collecting save after save when I watched him in the morning. He was great on low shots and had a bevy of great stops as well as money outlets to breaking midfielders and longpoles. Strong Division I re

Gavin Garrity-Rokous, M/FO, Middlesex (Mass.) / Laxachusetts – Hard nosed and scrappy, Garrity-Rokous had one of the best plays of the All-Star Game. It was a sick individual effort, spinning and bouncing off defenders before roll-dodging into a low shot. A lefty, he does a lot of things well and helped his team all day between the lines with heads up plays.

David Gottesman, G, Wando (S.C.) / Loggerheads – Here’s an intriguing prospect from the South, who despite his non-traditional hotbed status, has very strong technique and communication habits. Gottesman’s height is more than adequate, which allowed him to intercept a few passes when I watched him. He’s a surefire Division I recruit, though he’ll need to touch up his consistency first, as a goal or two went in that he should have stopped.

Jimmy Heidt, A, Brunswick (Conn.) / Eclipse – A crafty and explosive dodger, Heidt was often get to the spots of the field where he was most successful, within eight yards or so where the Greenwich native also showed impressive vision. Love his slick hands, IQ and footwork – three assets I can see thriving in the Ivy or Patriot League, among others.

Woody Kelly, M, Gilman (Md.) / FCA – Kelly is a player who, despite missing the All-Star Game, should feel very confident about the way he showcased his skills over the weekend. He possesses a fundamentally sound shot on the run, a lights out first step from up top and impressive two-handedness. Cashed in whenever he had the opportunity for time and room shots.

Jack Kiernan, A, Ridgewood (N.J.) / NJ Riot – What a talented lefty Kiernan is, following up a fantastic Saturday with a great Sunday at fl$ in 3d from what I’ve heard. He’s shifty and confident when the ball is in his stick, giving defenses fits from all over the field with his dodging style and super-quick and accurate shot. Clearly a player who knows how to play the game and make the right decisions, also showing off some nice plays in the riding game.

Ryan Magnuson, M, Northport (N.Y.) / Team 91 – Though his speed isn’t excellent, Magnuson is a force as a downhill dodger with a strong overhand shot. He’s another player who will have to work on bringing it 100 percent of the time, however I really like Magnuson’s playmaking between the lines and ability to pick up groundballs. Have to think that he’ll be scooped up soon.

Mac Perry, D, Phillips Exeter (N.H.) / 3d New England – Superb off the ground and a fantastic 1-on-1 cover man, Perry looks the part of a high Division I defender due to his size and long arms. He’s a pest (a sizable compliment to any defender), meaning that he stays on the opponent’s hands and makes their life difficult. Showed some nice wheels and knew exactly when to slide, collapsing on ball carriers and disrupting offenses.

Kyle Prouty, M/FO, New Egypt (N.J.) / Leading Edge – The winner of the King of the X competition, Prouty showed exceptional well roundedness on the day. He’s not just a FOGO, he’s a slick little guy who is more than adequate playing defense or making runs out of the midfield. On the draws, Prouty was virtually automatic, popping the ball out to his wings or in front of him to create instant offense.

Reid Shilling ’17, D, Deerfield (Mass.) / Fighting Clams – After enjoying what Shilling brought to the table in the summer circuit, I came away very impressed with what he did this weekend. He was a tremendous asset in transition, demonstrated special footwork and lateral movement and an active stick which he put in the passing lanes. Surprised that he’s still available, though that could change before the calendar year is up.

Colby Smith ’17, M, Hempfield (Pa.) / NXT – It’s safe to say that after an awesome fall, the Ohio State commit has almost definitely made his way into the Top 75 rankings. Marked him down for an unofficial two goals and an assist in the 2017 All-Star Game, where he was arguably the best player on the field. Smith was constantly able to get a step on his man, blowing by longpoles and shorties before unleashing a well-placed shot that came screaming past the goalie. Heck of a player with all of the tools.

Tommy Sopko, A, Conestoga (Pa.) / NXT – There was a lot of chatter about Sopko coming from college coaches on the sidelines, as he put up two excellent goals, including a wildly impressive long range bomb with his left hand. Extremely two-handed and versatile, one play that stood out earlier in the day was when he ran out of the box, caught a pass, exploited his defender and unleashed a beauty of a low-to-low shot. Put himself in a great position this fall with multiple big-time showings.

OTHERS WHO IMPRESSED

Hey thats great...heard Ty is impressed with Chipotle too

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OTHERS WHO IMPRESSED

Well, the bulk of the 2017 players weren't at the event. You might not realize that the BULK of the LI 2017 group is already COMMITTED.

Take a look at some of these recruiting websites and look at the list of "NEW [lacrosse]" and count the Long Island players. Now, if you were at the Philly Showcase last year when this group were freshman than you would've seen the Long Island boys in full effect. Thats why they weren't there, no need.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ive seen some do a "repeat" year at Buckley and then back to the public. Not sure what the bill was though.

The web is your friend. Most privates have the tuition listed on their website.

On Long Island, one can repeat 8th at the privates like Buckley, Green Vale, Friends, etc. To repeat 9th, you're looking at Friends, The Stony Brook School, The Knox School. The freight is approx. $30K

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Relax a little. Having a kid reclass is not always cheating. In some cases kids are really young for their grade and they are at a disadvantage academically and athletically. My son is a 2017 and hes a late November birthday so in some cases he is almost 2-3 years younger than some of the 2017's out there. So If I have him reclass and send him to Prep school I am cheating? Having said that If your son is already a hold back and hes 16, yes I agree reclassifying is definitely a little ridiculous. Every case is different and every parent must do what they think is right for their own son. Lets relax with the rhetoric. College coaches dont care what grade your son is in or if they are held back or reclassified or whatever. They want good kids, with good grades, who can play the game, plain and simple. Keep this in mind before you start spewing ignorant rhetoric.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What happens when his friends say "what happened to Johnny? "
Oh, he had to repeat 8th grade because he wasn't good enough to compete against kids his own age.

Pretty pathetic when you think about it!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son has not yet verbally committed yet but I have a question to those whose kid(s) have verbally committed - does the school condition that committment on anything? E.G., maintain a certain GPA? Minimum SAT/ACT score? Thanks

It probably depends on the school, but the kids I know who are committed to top-tier schools or service academies are told a minimum GPA, ACT or SAT (and if the school superstores) some schools require a few AP classes. Service academies have some other requirements, but recruits are given assistance with letters from a senator, etc.

I know one high profile kid who got caught drinking his freshman year, called the coach and was told "not to do it again", it isn't a highly competitive school and the kid has connections, as is very talented.

We look at the verbal as my son's first step, he still has to get bigger, stronger faster and get more skilled and do well in the classroom, testing and stay on the straight and narrow, he doesn't have any connections.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The congressional nomination for service academies does not "assist" entrance for those with borderline grades. A nomination (Congress/POTUS/VPOTUS) is part of the application process.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Relax a little. Having a kid reclass is not always cheating. In some cases kids are really young for their grade and they are at a disadvantage academically and athletically. My son is a 2017 and hes a late November birthday so in some cases he is almost 2-3 years younger than some of the 2017's out there. So If I have him reclass and send him to Prep school I am cheating? Having said that If your son is already a hold back and hes 16, yes I agree reclassifying is definitely a little ridiculous. Every case is different and every parent must do what they think is right for their own son. Lets relax with the rhetoric. College coaches dont care what grade your son is in or if they are held back or reclassified or whatever. They want good kids, with good grades, who can play the game, plain and simple. Keep this in mind before you start spewing ignorant rhetoric.

Look how many times do we have to be told ... IT IS NOT CHEATING!

Here's how:
Enroll & repeat 8th grade at Friends or Buckley then go to the HS of your choice...that's easy.

Why not save some more dough and look to repeat 8th at a catholic (if you're in public) or repeat 8th at a public (if you're in catholic)? I'm sure you can arrange a few extra sick days this year (wink, wink). A doctor's not won't cost too much.

Why not do it again after you've done it the first time (in reverse order) so your kid can be a 16 year old Freshman.

If you play your hand well, you can save some money for a Postgrad year at Salisbury, Hotchkiss, Brunswick, etc. That way your kid is well prepared for a b-level education and lifestyle after redshirting a year at a bottom feeding cakewalk school like Highpoint or UNC. He can be 26 and graduating with a BA and an STD.

After that can you hear the Lizards calling? I can.

I say go for it - seek out and live your dreams!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can bash repeating/reclassing/PG-ing all you want, but at the end of the day, you have to face the facts: It is now (whether you agree with it or not) the norm, and you, your ego, and your kid are going to have to get used to it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nothing like the word "reclassify" to get the blood pressure up and the pot stirring again. Love it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can bash repeating/reclassing/PG-ing all you want, but at the end of the day, you have to face the facts: It is now (whether you agree with it or not) the norm, and you, your ego, and your kid are going to have to get used to it.

I am used to it, cause my kid still smokes your cheating kids [lacrosse]. Hold him back how ever many years you want. He will never amount to the true to grade quality player. He will always be known as the kid who was not good enough to compete amongst his own age group. Just makes you and your son cheating losers. Period.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It is not the norm- it is still the exception. Most families and kids are not jumping at the bit to spend an extra year or money on school. If needed as a pg year, ok. It may be more likely to see on other regions outside LI, but even in those other areas, many folks are not jumping on the band wagon. Early recruitment is most likely going to backfire in three years, with kids all changing their commits, not make grade or scores or what not- the trend will swing closer to late soph or Junior year then. When that happens, there will be less reclassification.

It's great to go to a school you normally could not get into- but let's be honest- money isn't flowing and you still have to be able to stay in once there. GL to all.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The congressional nomination for service academies does not "assist" entrance for those with borderline grades. A nomination (Congress/POTUS/VPOTUS) is part of the application process.

Sorry that was unclear, absolutely recruits must have minimum grades and boards, both of which high minimums. In addition they need a nomination letter, but there is assistance from the academy if the recruit has trouble obtaining one without assistance. The nomination is still required but recruits have a leg up.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nothing like the word "reclassify" to get the blood pressure up and the pot stirring again. Love it.

Who pioneered this term "reclassified"?

I think it is an absolutely hilarious way of making end around attempts to keep face. Back in the day we card it repeating a grade. Because it is repeating a grade. The only way to pull that off a generation ago was to be a lousy enough student to flunk a grade and summer school as well. The look on the faces of maryland parents when you ask what grade their kid REPEATED is just precious.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think it is an absolutely hilarious way of making end around attempts to keep face. Back in the day we card it repeating a grade. Because it is repeating a grade. The only way to pull that off a generation ago was to be a lousy enough student to flunk a grade and summer school as well. The look on the faces of maryland parents when you ask what grade their kid REPEATED is just precious.

Reclassify is not the same as repeating. Many kids reclassify to the lower grade but continue academically as if nothing happened and no subjects are "repeated". That's the difference between reclassifying and repeating. In the case of reclassifying, the last year of high school is usually packed with AP courses, many for college credit.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And the look of LI parents when they hear a reclassified kid got a D1 spot is even better. Better than July 4th fireworks. Remember, there are no rules being broken. Just choices being made.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Reclassify is not the same as repeating. Many kids reclassify to the lower grade but continue academically as if nothing happened and no subjects are "repeated". That's the difference between reclassifying and repeating. In the case of reclassifying, the last year of high school is usually packed with AP courses, many for college credit. [/quote]

That is complete crap. My son is taking AP courses as an underclassman, and AP course classrooms at my son's school is not stocked with lacrosse repeaters. Those kids are doing geometry as seniors after doing Algebra 1 twice. Most often lacrosse players repeat classes when they repeat grades to make obtaining higher GPA easier.

Reclassifying is repeating a grade. Because you are doing it over again. You could take a math lesson from my 10th grader, and if you ask nice he'll help tutor your 19 year old senior in the course he took last year. Step away from the keyboard and just crawl away. And congrats on junior lax bro's commit to High Point or the like.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know where I sit on the "reclassification"...

But if you think about it, is reclassification the rich white people's affirmative action??

...it seems the same unhealthy message... "____ not good enough, without building in an artificial advantage"

The long lasting unintended message, may very well outlast the short term gain...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know where I sit on the "reclassification"...

But if you think about it, is reclassification the rich white people's affirmative action??

...it seems the same unhealthy message... "____ not good enough, without building in an artificial advantage"

The long lasting unintended message, may very well outlast the short term gain...

Not a bad analysis. Repeating grades gives the help undersized kids of a certain demographic (white, mostly wealthy or upper middle class prep school kids) artificially get to calling themselves D1 athletes. The average D1 lacrosse commit in Maryland is a kid who would not have a prayer of playing D3 in any other sport he focused on. There are exceptions, like Ryan Conrad who to be quite honest could play soccer and lacrosse at UVa. Ok, ok, people will chime in that their son has three varsity letters in football but at an MIAA or IAC school, all kids over 170 pounds are put in as down linemen to block for the 150 pound lacrosse commit backfield. At some level we should all be grateful that because there are no full rides or chances to make real money as a pro lacrosse will never attract a lot of African-American kids. That is a racially charged point, but an accurate one. Take an SEC football recruit and have him hone in on lacrosse starting in 8th grade and most current lacrosse recruits would be wiped out quickly.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Take an SEC football recruit and have him hone in on lacrosse starting in 8th grade and most current lacrosse recruits would be wiped out quickly.

FACT!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
But why would they change sports when they could possibly make millions in the NFL.

Page 33 of 45 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard