BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,578
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 24 25
Age Verification
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
So there are two sets of criteria used in tournaments for age, my opinion - they both stink.
1- Graduation Year, this seems like a good idea until one takes into account the kids held back a year - and in youth sports that does make a big difference.
2- The U system. Why USALax uses every other year is beyond me. Causes the same issue as Grad year. Plus why make the cut off August?

And what is actually done to enforce these age requirements anyway? Nothing of substance!
I know this topic is mentioned on nearly every tournament result forum page. I guess nobody at USALax pays attention or cares enough to listen - as long as we keep up the membership dues. Not playing is not an option - hurts the kids. Playing also can hurt the kids. The U system breaks the boys apart from their friends. My suggestion would be to go by original grad year & supply id cards. It's really not rocket science.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Age Verification
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So the 91 teams take a beating at beachlax this past weekend and you want to change the rules?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I recognize that NY is December 1, but the September 1 date aligns with the cutoff for schools here in Va, and I am told that of most other states.
As for every year v. every other year age ranges, it has to do with numbers. Clubs in non-hotbed areas struggle to form teams at a single age, and would not be competitive.
Overall, the current system seems to be antiquated. As sport has grown, it would make sense to have clubs governed by a single authority, charged with rules, ages, insurance, etc. USLacrosse needs to step up and respond faster to the evolving issues

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
91 teams didn't take a beating. So I don't know where your getting that info.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
This thread was not intended to discuss the merits or outcomes of 91 or any other club for that matter.

VaLaxDad makes a good point about age cut off outside of NY, which is why the U system is used in other sports - but two year groupings is not adequate. It wouldn't be that difficult for USLacrosse to come up with a standard that matches the majority of the population for youth lacrosse. Current system is not working and needs to be addressed.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
US lacrosse needs to go to single year9u 10u 11u 12u13u 14u 15u. If you go grade only teams will stack their team with play back kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most events are independently operated. US Lacrosse set guidelines that fit the events that they run. Not every team plays in their events, so identification cards issued from US Lax with D.O.B and current grade would be the best answer. It will give proof that can be used at any event. Should not be that hard, they could have an option to upload a picture during the registration process. When it comes in the mail you have the id card ready to go.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Yes, that would be a great start. USlacrosse also issues supplemental insurance for most (all?) events that I have been to--they could simply refuse to insure events that don't comply.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ID cards WITH PICTURE ID, verified by Birth Certificate. You own the card - if you play with XYZ team and do not have your card you do not play, if next weekend you play with ABC team don't have your card, you don't play - no ticky no shirty....Takes all of 2 minutes to check a team in (before each game) and make even more simple..go by US Hockey ages, 99's play with 99's, 98s play with 98's...it is pretty simple - BUT US Lacrosse will not step up...it is very sad for the governing body not to act at all...they MUST have pull with the insurance companies that insure these tourneys independent or otherwise...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by VaLaxDad
Yes, that would be a great start. USlacrosse also issues supplemental insurance for most (all?) events that I have been to--they could simply refuse to insure events that don't comply.

In my experience the insurance just askes the organizer to require each player is/has a US lacrosse # and waivers are filled out, but as a player if you do not have them you are still able to run the event without being liable. The onus is on the teams to provide you not for you to demand to collect it. I wish all coaches knew that one. Because truly under law if their player causes an issue or is hurt the coach is the responsible party.

So all you daddy coaches beware.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let's make it simple. Every player has an ID. Just like soccer does.

No more sneaking kids on teams or lying needed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Totally agree!! US Lacrosse needs to make it happen.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

AMEN TO THAT!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
not sure if they ( US Lacrosse) have the infrastructure to take on this monumental task. They should start offering the service at the convention fan fest, NCAA final 4 etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
not sure if they ( US Lacrosse) have the infrastructure to take on this monumental task. They should start offering the service at the convention fan fest, NCAA final 4 etc.

Give or take $13,000,000 a year in dues should be a heck of a place to start

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccer does it. You have money for travel. You have money to implement id's

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Give or take $13,000,000 a year in dues should be a heck of a place to start
Is that seriously what they earn?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am not sure BOC wants to have a topic dedicated to this topic. It will take 90% of the posts away from other topics. It really is ridiculous how every age group and tournament topic posts continually about supposed age violations.

Part of the problem is that there are too many groups following different age groups and different cutoffs. 12/1 vs 9/1. 2020 vs U13, etc. I have to believe most people are following the league rules, but when it comes to tournaments and inter-league contests, the differences are obvious in the performance levels and the complaining starts.

USL really should start certifying every league and tournament and in order to be certified, they must follow the single year USL birthday cutoffs:

Birthdate Age Bracket
9/1/1997 – 9/1/1998 U15
9/1/1998 - 9/1/1999 U14
9/1/1999 - 9/1/2000 U13
9/1/2000 - 9/1/2001 U12
9/1/2001 – 9/1/2002 U11
9/1/2002 - 9/1/2003 U10
9/1/2003 - 9/1/2004 U9

Steve Stenersen of USL posted this response on another site…..
“The problem with grade-based segmentation in youth sports is, of course, that it's not in the best interests of kids. The different rates of physical and cognitive development at each age varies widely so, in contact sport like boys' lacrosse, it's simply not safe to allow kids of such varying ages and development levels to compete against each other. Nor does it reinforce the fundamental principles of fair play and fun that are essential to player retention in youth sports. Allowing the club "system" and associated recruiting events to determine what's best for your child is not only a clear conflict of interest...it's a tremendous abdication of responsibility by the primary consumers of a child's lacrosse experience - parents. As most people should know by now, sport-specialization at an early age, year-round play, and the belief that playing more games is essential to player development are all myths. Sport specialization and year-round play burn kids out, drive them out of sport at too early an age, and lead to what has become an epidemic of overuse injuries in developing bodies. And, contrary to popular belief, playing more games doesn't make a player better; too often it simply reinforces bad habits because the quality of coaching offered by club teams is so inconsistent. It's incredibly ironic that peer pressure among parents plays such a significant role in the decisions they make on behalf of their kids...as does fear of retribution against their children from club programs and their coaches. That fear, alone, should trigger a serious concern. Sadly, parental ego also plays a role at times. But none of those are justifiable excuses for parents to allow and enable the youth lacrosse "industry" to make decisions based on its own interests...not those of the children they are paid to best serve. The single biggest factor in determining a child's success on the athletic field is genetics, not how much you play or pay. The overwhelming majority of kids who play club lacrosse and attend recruiting events won't get a college scholarship or admissions preference to play lacrosse in college. Most won't even play at the high school level. Club programs and tournaments are not inherently bad, but they need to be held accountable to what's best for your child. In a free market economy, it's up to the consumer - us parents - to make that happen. Or not.”

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What are you talking about sneaking kids on teams? Who are you to say my son cant play in a tournament any weekend he is free from his Travel or town team.

I agree, an Id system is a good idea but not to limit the players, just protect them. Many players play for their town teams that travels and those same boys are involved with various travel organizations. Many times these same boys will play with friends they have made along the way at the spur of the moment.

Why dont you think this should be allowed, why cant players be able to do this? You say sneak a player on. These travel teams do not play in a league. Until they d,o any player can play on as many teams as he doesn't have a conflict with.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree. Kids should be allowed to change teams so long as they are not too old. However, I think that all tournaments should not allow kids to play on more then one team. That would stop the older kid from playing down or the "A" kid from helping out his program's "B" team.

What are you talking about sneaking kids on teams? Who are you to say my son cant play in a tournament any weekend he is free from his Travel or town team.

I agree, an Id system is a good idea but not to limit the players, just protect them. Many players play for their town teams that travels and those same boys are involved with various travel organizations. Many times these same boys will play with friends they have made along the way at the spur of the moment.

Why dont you think this should be allowed, why cant players be able to do this? You say sneak a player on. These travel teams do not play in a league. Until they d,o any player can play on as many teams as he doesn't have a conflict with.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For every team you play. You pay for membership. enough dropping varsity players down at tournaments to help jv. Enough bending the rules. Guess it's worth teaching kids to be corrupt because most careers are these days. Way to go strong island. When you can't win on your own merit. Cheat

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For every team you play. You pay for membership. enough dropping varsity players down at tournaments to help jv. Enough bending the rules. Guess it's worth teaching kids to be corrupt because most careers are these days. Way to go strong island. When you can't win on your own merit. Cheat

By far this is not a Long Island only issue, by even stating that shows your ignorance. The issue at hand is can we parents band together and make a change to the systems. Are we willing to contact the clubs, the tournament organizers & the USLacrosse to address this problem.

Lax is getting to be big business. It's time the overseeing authorities makes a stand to correct this.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow I think that is drastic. For every team you play you pay. How about, I register for a child and from that the tournament/teams know who my son is.

Summer Sizzle put out a magazine (for lack of a better word) that shows all the rosters - you can check who you are playing had town and HS grad yr. All tournaments should do this so you can self police. But I am sure there is a cost.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
http://www.uslacrosse.org/about-us-lacrosse/contact-us.aspx

Lets tell USLacrosse and see what happens. Seems like most people want to go single year and be given a vehicle (like an ID card) to validate.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

By far this is not a Long Island only issue, by even stating that shows your ignorance. The issue at hand is can we parents band together and make a change to the systems. Are we willing to contact the clubs, the tournament organizers & the USLacrosse to address this problem.

Lax is getting to be big business. It's time the overseeing authorities makes a stand to correct this.

My son's team is playing in the U-15 National Championship and I had to upload his birth certificate for age verification on the US Lacrosse site....so they have the technology......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lets tell USLacrosse and see what happens. Seems like most people want to go single year and be given a vehicle (like an ID card) to validate.

I filled out the request for the review age guidelines. Everyone who thinks this should be reviewed, go fill it out. Perhaps we can actually enact some positive change. And maybe for transition purposes tournaments run ones like Aloha does. Age based and grade based until every goes to age.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

My son's team is playing in the U-15 National Championship and I had to upload his birth certificate for age verification on the US Lacrosse site....so they have the technology......

But that's the only tournament I know that does that. It's good to know the technology is there but I have yet to see it in widespread use. Even two years ago when my daughter went to U15s, we just handed a copy of the birth cert to her coach.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
This is the type of positive action I intended to come from this post - well done. Please, if you think this is an important issue - follow suit and post that you did it. Tell your friends that are concerned to do the same.

I filled out the request for the review age guidelines. Everyone who thinks this should be reviewed, go fill it out. Perhaps we can actually enact some positive change. And maybe for transition purposes tournaments run ones like Aloha does. Age based and grade based until every goes to age.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just did it! You all should too!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just did it! You all should too!

Good stuff. At the very least I hope it will be reviewed and taken under advisement. Interestingly nothing negative on this thread. So that leads me to believe everyone wants this.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard people actually sign up for US LAX and use a fake birthdate so when they register for tournaments like TRi State check it appears kid is age eligible.

Need a better system or someone to get seriously hurt before change is made.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard people actually sign up for US LAX and use a fake birthdate so when they register for tournaments like TRi State check it appears kid is age eligible.

Need a better system or someone to get seriously hurt before change is made.

I did that! you don't need o provide any proof. I actually did it so my son could try out for an older team and I didn't want them to know he was younger, but I'm sure it works both ways.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With all the talk about teams adding older players, I would have thought this topic would be on fire with people posting that they notified USLacrosse and want them to address this. I guess people just like to complain and not do anything about it. Really how hard is it to send an email?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I think that tournament organizers should spot check teams against the rosters they registered their teams with. If a kid is on the field and not on the roster, team is asked to leave tournament immediately and forfeit their games. Might stop teams from stacking their roster after they find out who they are scheduled to play in tournaments.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With all the talk about teams adding older players, I would have thought this topic would be on fire with people posting that they notified USLacrosse and want them to address this. I guess people just like to complain and not do anything about it. Really how hard is it to send an email?

I am a father of a boy that currently plays for a 2020 team. He's a very strong player but born later in the year (August). So next year my wife and I decided that we are going to hold him back and repeat 6th grade again, purely for athletic reasons. He's an excellent student also, but he will now dominate in the 6th grade for the 2015 season. It's within the current US Lacrosse age guidelines so anyone that doesn't like this move can suck it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maturity and scholastic's are reasons to have your son repeat. Athletics = you're a tool. Get your head out of your butt. You are not doing your son any service.

I am a father of a boy that currently plays for a 2020 team. He's a very strong player but born later in the year (August). So next year my wife and I decided that we are going to hold him back and repeat 6th grade again, purely for athletic reasons. He's an excellent student also, but he will now dominate in the 6th grade for the 2015 season. It's within the current US Lacrosse age guidelines so anyone that doesn't like this move can suck it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is very sad. sacrificing academics for the sake of trying to get an advantage in a recreational sport. If he is a good student, how will the school allow you to make that decision? Very sad

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maturity and scholastic's are reasons to have your son repeat. Athletics = you're a tool. Get your head out of your butt. You are not doing your son any service.

And if he gets a scholarship as a result? Playing devils advocate, but if it is an ends to means.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous I am a father of a boy that currently plays for a 2020 team. He's a very strong player but born later in the year (August). So next year my wife and I decided that we are going to hold him back and repeat 6th grade again, purely for athletic reasons. He's an excellent student also, but he will now dominate in the 6th grade for the 2015 season. It's within the current US Lacrosse age guidelines so anyone that doesn't like this move can suck it. [/quote]

Yeah baby! Your "7th grader" is going to dominate those little 6th grade "suckers". Just don't let your son know that he "sucked" on age because it just might have the opposite effect that your gaming is hoping to achieve. Oh, and I hope he stays focused on his academics because that's the best avenue to achieving his dreams.

Best of luck. Your family needs it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Scholarships are a pipe dream, yes they are out there, but for any given kid, the chances are very, very slim. If your kid is good enough to qualify, then I don't think a year either way is going to make a difference.

Have a friend who's son was recruited as a sophomore from a top club to a D1 school (winner of multiple national championships) - and he only got a partial scholarship.

Take all your club fees, private lesson and clinic fees, along with the money spent for gas, food, and hotels, for all of those tournaments over the 6-8 years that you do this, put that money in and index fund, there's your scholarship.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Scholarships are a pipe dream, yes they are out there, but for any given kid, the chances are very, very slim. If your kid is good enough to qualify, then I don't think a year either way is going to make a difference.

Have a friend who's son was recruited as a sophomore from a top club to a D1 school (winner of multiple national championships) - and he only got a partial scholarship.

Take all your club fees, private lesson and clinic fees, along with the money spent for gas, food, and hotels, for all of those tournaments over the 6-8 years that you do this, put that money in and index fund, there's your scholarship.

Father of the 2020 soon-to-be 2021 hold back is here again...to be clear, my son is an A-A+ student so no academic issues and is a solid A-A+ player. Since US Lacrosse allows it, we are simply holding him back a year to give him yet another advantage, it's legal/within the rules, so what's the problem. Last piece of information for you all - I make a ton of money, so don't need scholarship $$$, this is all about putting my son in the best position possible so he can be the best under US Lacrosse rules. You only live once people...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Father of the 2020 soon-to-be 2021 hold back is here again...to be clear, my son is an A-A+ student so no academic issues and is a solid A-A+ player. Since US Lacrosse allows it, we are simply holding him back a year to give him yet another advantage, it's legal/within the rules, so what's the problem. Last piece of information for you all - I make a ton of money, so don't need scholarship $$$, this is all about putting my son in the best position possible so he can be the best under US Lacrosse rules. You only live once people...

So I take it your child is in 5th-6th grade. With my children now playing in high school and still being a coach, just hope junior continues to grow and continues to be quick. I've seen many little superstars fade by the time their in high school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would do it if I could, can't afford it. My sons are both great players and will probably play in college, but as parents we want to put our kids in the best possible position. Only thing not fair is that it comes down to $$$

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So holding him back, like being left back, like the special kids? Here's a news flash if you are good enough, everyone can play in college especially if you have tons of money. So hold him back like the special kids so he can be a stronger lacrosse player. You my friend are what is wrong with todays parents of an athletes. When he blows his knee out or decides he doesn't want to play in school then what. Its the kids life, not yours. WHAT A TOOL OF A PARENT! I look forward to him coaching my grandkids as a Express summer coach making a few pennies 15 years from now. (something tells me the original email is probably a joke, but with todays parents you never know.)

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Lets try to get back to a productive thread. Whether or not the community believes in the tactics of a particular poster is not relevant. This attitude to look for loop holes within rules is what we are looking for USLacrosse, the Club Administrators and Tournament Organizers to address. Either embrace a single "U" age system or enforce the "original" graduation year of the players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
even if USL puts a system in place for ID's and even if they only sanction tourneys that are age based it will still not make a difference, there is nothing that says a tournament will have to be or want to be USL sanctioned event and nothing that will force them. Any decent recruiting tournament will always be grade based because that is what the college recruiters want to see 2017's v 2017's.

My son is a 2018 and was born in 2000 (correct birth year for grade) and plays on a competitive summer team, I would never join a team that was age based and only went to age based tournaments - I want him playing against 2018's regardless of age because that is who is competing against for a college roster spot.

When all is said and done nobody cares who wins a tournament and it is not about the competition it is about improving as a player and getting into a better scholastic college then you could have without lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Work on an academic scholarship. More of them, so odds are better if the child is a A, A+ sturdent

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When all is said and done nobody cares who wins a tournament and it is not about the competition it is about improving as a player and getting into a better scholastic college then you could have without lacrosse.

Well said.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once the kids are in high school, I age that the grade level works fine. You have kids fighting for jv and varsity spots in high school and the only time something is a little off is a kid there past his true senior year. However, for kids truely 8th grade or younger, the parents need to focus on creating a fair competitive environment by playing based on age. If a kid wants to play up - fine, let him challenge himself, but playing down though any loopholes or hold backs or other method is wrong and against the spirit of fair play. If your kid wants to dominate his age group, tell him to practice and hit the wall, don't have him play down.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once the kids are in high school, I age that the grade level works fine. You have kids fighting for jv and varsity spots in high school and the only time something is a little off is a kid there past his true senior year. However, for kids truely 8th grade or younger, the parents need to focus on creating a fair competitive environment by playing based on age. If a kid wants to play up - fine, let him challenge himself, but playing down though any loopholes or hold backs or other method is wrong and against the spirit of fair play. If your kid wants to dominate his age group, tell him to practice and hit the wall, don't have him play down.

So if my son was born on August 15, 2002 and is in 6th grade this year (2020), and one of his friends was born on August 8th of the same year but his parents started him late in school such that he plays with the 2021, do you see a problem with this scenario?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So if my son was born on August 15, 2002 and is in 6th grade this year (2020), and one of his friends was born on August 8th of the same year but his parents started him late in school such that he plays with the 2021, do you see a problem with this scenario?

The issue isn't one or two kids but a team (or core of a team) made up of those kids.

The rule in NY by most accounts is Nov , US lacrosse has Sept. There will always be older and younger (Aug 31st vs Sept 1 of the same year) and there will always be those that are close to the cutoff (Aug 1st) that feel shortchanged or will bend the rules to benefit themselves (Sept 15th).

To me if your kid is born prior to Nov you should be in the grade with kids born the same year as you. But that is me. If you are held or left back you do play with your grade. If you feel better with you older kid beating up on younger kids so be it. Why wouldn't you play him up with his age until HS, then let him shine in HS when he is the oldest boy who played a tougher youth experience.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Work on an academic scholarship. More of them, so odds are better if the child is a A, A+ sturdent

Completely agree. Long term academics are infinitely more important than lax skills...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I was a Dec birthdate I was always the youngest to do everything, at times they tried to prevent me from "playing up" which was playing with my grade because of my birth month/age. Fortunately my folks were smart enough to say "those are the boys in his grade... Look at his skills look at his size... play my son with is friends in his grade... it is not fair to the boys a year younger..." I look at my folks; they had integrity.

I was fortunate to attend some competitive sports camps and in a particular camp competed against guys from Maslin Ohio. As a soph in HS, I was competing against boys the same age as Sr's in my school. It didn't bother me because i wanted to play Varisty. What I didn't realize till much later was it happened everywhere, they held back kids in 5/6 grade just to play Football. I thought it was something that just happened at that particular school or in that area. I thought it was funny.

I also played college sports, that is where I thought the age difference was amazing. I was at a distinct disadvantage. Playing football with boys from Texas and Penn puts you at a distinct disadvantage. They were always a year older than most and close to 2 years older from me. Playing with boys from NYC was also scary (They were legitimate Left backs). I was a 17year freshman competing against 19/20 year old freshman (fall not spring sport there was no turning or just turned you are what you are). A very scary scene. Going in I knew if I wanted to play Id have to beat out 20 year olds I just thought they'd be upper classmen, I didn't think I'd be competing against these older Texas boys every year the rest of my college career. (yes Soph and Jr year most freshman were older than me)

In that same time period, this was not happening in Lacrosse. The older boys in lacrosse were those that went to "Prep school" for a year. They went there to get college ready. I see the current climate of lacrosse changed to what I witnessed in the 80's of Football and the bigger money sports. If the colleges didn't do anything (between then and now) to change the rules I don't think it will stop instead I think it will just gain traction in lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once the kids are in high school, I agree that the grade level works fine. You have kids fighting for jv and varsity spots in high school and the only time something is a little off is a kid there past his true senior year. However, for kids truely 8th grade or younger, the parents need to focus on creating a fair competitive environment by playing based on age. If a kid wants to play up - fine, let him challenge himself, but playing down though any loopholes or hold backs or other method is wrong and against the spirit of fair play. If your kid wants to dominate his age group, tell him to practice and hit the wall, don't have him play down.

If your son us born within a month of the cutoff and is small for his age, the league should approve a waiver, especially if he was born premature. But let the league decide.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
December 1 is the guideline in NYS to start school. If a child is born before that he should go to Kindergarten by NYS standards. If you want youth sports safe (like football, soccer, baseball, etc.) you play AGE. When the kid gets to HS then you can go to grad year because the colleges want to know when they graduate. It's easy, safety for youth and graduating year for HS

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
December 1 is the guideline in NYS to start school. If a child is born before that he should go to Kindergarten by NYS standards. If you want youth sports safe (like football, soccer, baseball, etc.) you play AGE. When the kid gets to HS then you can go to grad year because the colleges want to know when they graduate. It's easy, safety for youth and graduating year for HS

What is the cut off for Maryland. My daughter played a MD team this weekend and the girls on average were a 1/2 head taller than all of our girls.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maryland's cutoff for school grades is 9/1. The same cutoff suggested by USL.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maryland's cutoff for school grades is 9/1. The same cutoff suggested by USL.

But you can't prove a grade. So when someone is held they are older but in the grade younger.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How about a system similar to youth football, soccer, and baseball. Every youth player has a registration card. Birthdate has been verified by presentation of a birth certificate. Play by age.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Needs to be age delimited (U) with ID cards. Pick a date that most can agree on and roll with it. Say Sep 30 - give the parents of kids with Oct and Nov birthdays the option of playing "Up" with the friends/schoolmates if in a school that goes till Dec 1. Playing up is not a problem, it playing down that people have an issue with and with grade based systems, there is too many variables to skirt the system.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I reached out to U.S. Lacrosse (www.uslacrosse.org) on the subject of single year age guidelines. I was pleasantly surprised by the timeliness of their responses and their readiness to engage on this topic. It was quite apparent that this is a subject that is very much on their radar. Below are the responses I received to my email questions (which I removed to keep this post somewhat concise). Most importantly, the last paragraph highlights how you can reach out to USL and voice your point of view. If this issue is really that important to you, then take a few minutes to have your opinion count.

From U.S. Lacrosse

I appreciate your email and the concern about age eligibility. The age vs. grade has been a big debate and huge issue of contention for many areas. US Lacrosse has been fervent in their support of an age based system. I can tell you personally, that US Lacrosse has not been silent on this topic.

US Lacrosse spends hundreds of thousands annually in health and safety research, and coached and officials education. Additionally, we review the rules we put forth each year and have pushed those rules and recommendations to groups, leagues and events. It is at events we see the largest age discrepancies, we unfortunately do not have any oversight of those events unless they are run by US Lacrosse.

While we set forth best practices annually, many tournament directors either choose to not adopt or enforce our recommendations. Furthermore, many of these directors turn their head once the check has cleared. This doesn’t provide the best experience for any individual whether it be a participant, coach, official or parent.

US lacrosse has been proactive in ensuring the best experience for everyone in the game. Our membership department is testing an age verification product this summer, with a larger deployment next summer. Our Gold Stick program, identifies leagues who use the best practices and rules of US Lacrosse. In the summer of 2015, we plan to have a Gold Stick Tournament sanctioning model in place, I suggest you attend these tournaments and events. Finally, work with your fellow parents and coaches to choose tournaments that offer USL certified officials and US Lacrosse Rules.

There is risk related to every sport, and to each time an individual steps onto a lacrosse field. US Lacrosse has advocated for no more than 24 months in age difference between youngest and oldest player for the fact that many developing areas cannot field a full team at one age. We will continue to evaluate our age grouping and engage individuals like yourself for their insight as we move forward.

To give you some history to this, the age groups came out of the high school structure, where the age difference can be anywhere from between one and five years. The move by the organization was to reduce it to less than twenty four months to create a safe, equitable, enjoyable, and level playing field.

Going forward this may be reduced to a year, but in 2014 the age guidelines will remain the same. As I’ve mentioned earlier, we review this every year. I encourage you to complete our rules survey and even submit a rule change, both of these can be found on the following webpage:
http://www.uslacrosse.org/rules/boys-rules.aspx
The deadline states May 20,014, but it can be considered for next year and can be used as a reference point in meetings going forward. Since the age guidelines are not a rule, just write “Age & Eligibility Guidelines” where it asks for rule name. Use the number 1 for page, section and article.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Glad to hear some truth on this matter.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nice response from USLacrosse, I unfortunately did not receive anything from my inquiry. But I am happy to see their response none the less. I would hope the Gold Stick standards are publicized before try-out season!

This should put a rest to majority of complaints there are on this subject. It will be up to us as parents to "push" the travels clubs in choosing a Gold Stick tourney.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is why team long island has gone to age vs grade because it doesn't allow the teams to cheat by using overage kids and the playing field is fair and less chance for injury. The problem is the other organizations are profit based and they care about the check and not the safety of the player

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For grade based, We are seeing a problem with teams without red shirts outright lying about grade, just so they can keep the older kids on the team and level the playing field. They are younger age divisions and maybe the kids are planning on repeating 8th grade so the graduation year isn't really a lie.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any inquires can be submitted to Boys Youth Rules <boysyouthrules@uslacrosse.org>

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Received a similar response from US Lacrosse but they do have control if they want it. Several of the tournament providers known for not verifying ages and turning their backs on teams that are known offenders of loading teams with kids outside of even the two year span, are using US Lacrosse insurance and they should not be allowed to use the insurance if they are not willing to collect birth certificates and report cards similar to the structure used by AAU for basketball and other sports. This is not rocket science - other supervisory athletic organizations do it and we deserve better for our kids. $25-35 a year and they are not requiring even those tournaments requiring US Lacrosse membership #s for registration and who are using their blanket insurance (that we pay for) to institute guidelines. Gold Stick is a step in the right direction but it is voluntary. Kudos to the Dicks NDP tournies for stepping up to require birth certificates this year and keeping them on file for future years! Please send a message by encouraging your clubs to walk away from events that do not require proof of age.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We were at Sweetlaxin tourney this weekend, in our grade based bracket there were 2 teams that went undefeated. I inquired why there was not a play off between these 2 teams. The staff member told me that they found out that one of the undefeated teams had 11 6th graders playing on a 5th grade based team. They were removed from the playoff contention. USLacrosse based tournament, nuff said....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shameful and the kids deserve so much more from US Lacrosse. Time for US Lacrosse to actually provide a service for the fees they are charging each player. Keep the magazine and actually institute requirements designed to protect kids from teams not following age and/or grade guidelines. And sanction the coaches and clubs that are found to be in violation - send a message before someone gets hurt.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At least something was done unlike the un sanctioned tournaments. How many more times do I have to see kids my size claiming to be in grade school. Why is it there is no age verification?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is why team long island has gone to age vs grade because it doesn't allow the teams to cheat by using overage kids and the playing field is fair and less chance for injury. The problem is the other organizations are profit based and they care about the check and not the safety of the player

And Gongas tried to turn Suffolk PAL into age and got voted down by the other town reps. If you voted against and your a town PAL rep. Shame on you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Team LI does not go age based! What a bogus selfs erring lie. I saw players on their U13 team who just finished up 8th grade. And lets not say they all have "magic birthdays" because I know these kids and know for a fact they do not.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What grade a child is in has little relation to what AGE he is. ALL of the boys on this team qualify for U13 by US Lacrosse rules. The boys who just finished 8th were all born in the 4th quarter of 2000. If you know the kids, as you say, then you are a deluded liar to claim anything else. Again AGE, not GRADE is what matters for a U based team.

When a child is held back, or repeats a grade, he does not become younger. You have magically changed his projected graduation date specifically to make him eligible to play with and against younger kids. You didn't make him younger

Team LI does not go age based! What a bogus selfs erring lie. I saw players on their U13 team who just finished up 8th grade. And lets not say they all have "magic birthdays" because I know these kids and know for a fact they do not.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ok Mr know it all!You are not too swift are you? U-13= born 9/1/2000 or later! Kids who have bithdates in 2000 are SUPPOSED to be in 8th grade going into 9th. btw they played in the 2018 (rising 9th ) anyway because they are not allowed to play against the OLDER 7th graders (born before 9/1/2000). you are comical!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah, nothing wrong with playing a kid who is age eligible who is in the higher grade. In fact, as that is the opposite of people holding back their kid for athletic reasons, perhaps it is laudable. Of course, if mature enough, he might want to play up to be with this friends, but that is their choice.

I want to vent for a moment. I was in a U11A division early this month in a big tournament under U.S. Lacrosse age rules. The tournament director let a U13B team play in our division, because they were missing half their kids and pulled up some U11 kids . I emailed the fact it was a U13 team to tournament director well in advance, but since I was not scheduled to play them, I did not make a bigger issue of it. It was frightening to watch the difference in size between some of those U13's and the U11's they played (7th grade D vs 4th grade A!), particularly as some of tournament refs still thought bodychecking is allowed at U11 as long as the player takes less than 3 steps (one cited that to me as a U.S. lacrosse rule). Anyway, to add ironic insult to (thank god no) injury and to stray a bit off topic, the director's U11 team beat my team pretty bad in pool play but we earned a rematch in the championship and got up on their (admittedly better) team in the first half and the tournament director came over to our sideline in the middle of the game and in front of the kids and accused our team of adding (presumably U13) new players or else how could we get up on his program's team? Huge distraction and other team went on 4-goal run before he calmed down and believed we had the same kids and we coaches were allowed to coach again. True story. Too bad he only cared about age rules when his team was losing. We are going to be pickier with our tournaments next year, for sure.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah, nothing wrong with playing a kid who is age eligible who is in the higher grade. In fact, as that is the opposite of people holding back their kid for athletic reasons, perhaps it is laudable. Of course, if mature enough, he might want to play up to be with this friends, but that is their choice.

I want to vent for a moment. I was in a U11A division early this month in a big tournament under U.S. Lacrosse age rules. The tournament director let a U13B team play in our division, because they were missing half their kids and pulled up some U11 kids . I emailed the fact it was a U13 team to tournament director well in advance, but since I was not scheduled to play them, I did not make a bigger issue of it. It was frightening to watch the difference in size between some of those U13's and the U11's they played (7th grade D vs 4th grade A!), particularly as some of tournament refs still thought bodychecking is allowed at U11 as long as the player takes less than 3 steps (one cited that to me as a U.S. lacrosse rule). Anyway, to add ironic insult to (thank god no) injury and to stray a bit off topic, the director's U11 team beat my team pretty bad in pool play but we earned a rematch in the championship and got up on their (admittedly better) team in the first half and the tournament director came over to our sideline in the middle of the game and in front of the kids and accused our team of adding (presumably U13) new players or else how could we get up on his program's team? Huge distraction and other team went on 4-goal run before he calmed down and believed we had the same kids and we coaches were allowed to coach again. True story. Too bad he only cared about age rules when his team was losing. We are going to be pickier with our tournaments next year, for sure.

TOO MUCH MONEY INVOLVED FOR ANYONE TO CHANGE, SORRY

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

can you tell us what tournament this was, so everyone knows to steer clear

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wonder if it is the same tournament that let rising Freshman play rising 7th graders in the equivalent of the U13 B Division - the size differential was huge, kids got hurt and several teams asked for the roster to be reviewed - the size difference was that big. Men playing boys. It was the Hogan Summer EXposure tournament which required US Lacrosse ids to play so probably using their insurance yet the kids were not protected. We will stay clear of that promoters tournaments in the future.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It wasn't Hogan's and my impression having played in their tournaments twice is that they were one of the good guys. In fact, I was going to replace this big Southern tournament with Summer Exposure for our multiple travel teams. I think it is tremendously important for age rules to be respected. I mean it's kids we are talking about.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Boys between the ages of 8 and 15 are growing and gaining weight as fast as they ever will in their life.

On average, they grow 2.4" a year and gain 10 pounds a year. So in a two year per division system, the youngest average kid (e.g. born 8/31/2002) will be 20 pounds lighter and 4.8" shorter than the oldest average kid (e.g. born 9/1/2001).

If you have an old 1year holdback (reclass born 9/1/2000), that kid on average will be 30 pounds heavier and 7.3" taller than the youngest in that 2 year division. That is huge difference especially at the 8-9 year old range.

Of course every kid is different and these are just averages, but you can see why for the fairest and safest games, the leagues should really limit the age differences - especially from 8-15 years old.

As a parent who has witnessed larger kids breaking smaller kids bones on more than 1 occasion and also seen multiple concussions induced by the larger kids in the U9 and U11 ages brackets, I feel we should work towards enforcing a single year division system with age (not grade) cut offs until the kids are 15 or 16.

Age / Weight/ Height data:
https://edc2.healthtap.com/ht-stagi...ri20121213-30526-1i4c4nq.jpeg?1386569716

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My team ages up to U13 on September 1 (2021s). 4-5 of my midfielders weigh 75-80 lbs, which is around 25% for an 11 1/2 years old per the above chart. Compare to a kid who is 12 1/2 years old and in the 75-90% range (not unusual for a travel team) and weighs 110-130 lbs.

Not complaining my team is small - that's who made the team - but one can see how much safer it will be for my kids to play other kids their age. Playing in 2021 divisions should provide that, barring a bunch of hold-backs and I've only heard of one 2021 team accused of that. But, at least in my case, I will seek tournaments that have a 2021/U12 division and avoid those tournaments who don't enforce their own age rules.

PS - Last Fall was a mess with the new U.S. Lacrosse age rules going into effect and some smaller tournaments seemingly being clueless. Saw a 4th grade team play a 6th grade team in one championship. Hopefully, that won't reoccur this year.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

AMEN TO THAT!!

well said
player passes should be standard for all travel teams regardless of sport

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by GG1 N J18

AMEN TO THAT!!

well said

Have to admit that my kid was one of the kids asked to fill a spot on an established travel team. Walking thru the tournament area with all the tents set up, half the kids know him and know he does not play for the uniform he has on. He looked at me and said he will never do this again. That was one of those moments where you realize your not as wise as you think and maybe the kid has a clue. I will take his advice, never again.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

AMEN TO THAT!!

well said

Have to admit that my kid was one of the kids asked to fill a spot on an established travel team. Walking thru the tournament area with all the tents set up, half the kids know him and know he does not play for the uniform he has on. He looked at me and said he will never do this again. That was one of those moments where you realize your not as wise as you think and maybe the kid has a clue. I will take his advice, never again.

Fortunately this was only a single tournament for your son. I could not imagine holding back my 6th grader and having him walk through the halls for the rest of his academic career in front of kids who know he is "wearing a uniform for a team he doesn't play for."

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At the Express tryout a goalie who was a 2018 last year is now a 2019. Give me a break.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I think most people would agree that there should be player ID's except for the win at all cost coaches and little Johnnys dad that likes watching his 6th grader dominate in a 4th grade league...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At the Express tryout a goalie who was a 2018 last year is now a 2019. Give me a break.

Yup...he is repeating 8th grade. He was on Terps two years ago, Wolverines last year. He was on his way to Chamminade, but probably was 3 on the 9th grade depth chart.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yup...he is repeating 8th grade. He was on Terps two years ago, Wolverines last year. He was on his way to Chamminade, but probably was 3 on the 9th grade depth chart.

how many other hold backs does 2019 Express have. Or better yet how many boys born in 2000 or sooner Including Sept - Dec months?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would like to see lacrosse adopt the same system that youth hockey uses. It is done by your birth year thats it plain and simple. When you play in other parts of the country it doesnt become an issue when the school cut off is. Until then its really just cheating .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what does a player or parent get when we pay for a US Lacrosse #? What is the benefit?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what does a player or parent get when we pay for a US Lacrosse #? What is the benefit?

You get that garbage magazine.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe hockey teams have a binder that has each kid's Hockey ID and a team roster that can't change every tourney (or mid tourney). Makes sense as does the age thing. That said most hockey players go to juniors before HS so they enter HS at 20 or so, but it is expected. You are allowed to play up but not down. All in all it makes sense, is consistent and is fair. Right now lacrosse has gotten off the rails, there is at least one large national club with regional and national teams that plays musical players so they ensure wins. A few of the kids are playing at two age groups claiming they will take a PG year when they play down.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe hockey teams have a binder that has each kid's Hockey ID and a team roster that can't change every tourney (or mid tourney). Makes sense as does the age thing. That said most hockey players go to juniors before HS so they enter HS at 20 or so, but it is expected. You are allowed to play up but not down. All in all it makes sense, is consistent and is fair. Right now lacrosse has gotten off the rails, there is at least one large national club with regional and national teams that plays musical players so they ensure wins. A few of the kids are playing at two age groups claiming they will take a PG year when they play down.

I am all for a player playing as much as he or she wants on as many teams as he/she is physically capable of . Some like to play on an off weekend, why not? So I can see a player playing on multiple teams. A child should not be restricted.

These are open tournaments not set leagues and a roster can and should be able to change.

Now did I understand you claim a player was playing down because they said they will eventually PG? Now I'v heard it all,

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Eventually I intend to hold my child back..Not sure what grade , maybe do a PG...I want to play down a year, my child has a late birthday..Shouldn't my child get the benefit of all these kids that have been heldback, started late, etc...Why do these select players get an advantage the majority of players dont including mine....Club Youth lacrosse forward will always have this black cloud hanging over it due to the consequences of letting these select players play down..It will start a bigger movement to hold your child back like the epidemic going on in private schools in Maryland.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some people are saying that kids are being held back multiple years. This is not the case (at least in Baltimore, Annapolis, and DC). The very oldest a kid can be as a senior in these private school leagues is 19.

MIAA (Baltimore/Annapolis) and IAC (DC/MD/VA) both say "A student who has attained his/her 19th birthday before August 31 of a given academic year is not eligible to participate."

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am all for a player playing as much as he or she wants on as many teams as he/she is physically capable of . Some like to play on an off weekend, why not? So I can see a player playing on multiple teams. A child should not be restricted.

These are open tournaments not set leagues and a roster can and should be able to change.

Now did I understand you claim a player was playing down because they said they will eventually PG? Now I'v heard it all,

This is happening. It is completely unfair when team A registers one set of players then stacks the NewEngland Team A (for example) with kids from multiple states to win games.

Yes, I personally know a few players playing 2 years, claiming they will PG at a later date.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some people are saying that kids are being held back multiple years. This is not the case (at least in Baltimore, Annapolis, and DC). The very oldest a kid can be as a senior in these private school leagues is 19.

MIAA (Baltimore/Annapolis) and IAC (DC/MD/VA) both say "A student who has attained his/her 19th birthday before August 31 of a given academic year is not eligible to participate."

So which government agency is policing this to ensure no kids are actually older? Come on really? I'm sure these win at all cost private schools are "self" policing, right?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So which government agency is policing this to ensure no kids are actually older? Come on really? I'm sure these win at all cost private schools are "self" policing, right?

They probably self police the way the SEC does. Find out about a violation on the opposing team, then disclose it the week before you play them to get that player out for the week while they are under investigation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quick question: If a LI player does a PG year, is it still cheating? Or does that only apply to the rest of the country? Isn't that taking away a legitimate opportunity from a deserving 2016?

"No. 6 senior @BrianWilletts, A, Smithtown East (N.Y.) has decommitted from Carolina. He just told me he will PG and play for @NDlacrosse."

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lets get this started - my son is a 2018 and I verify his birthday is 3/19/2000 - who's next

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
On the age verification, the reason why some kids are a year to 2 yrs older is the school cut off date, New [lacrosse] is December and i believe the other states start in September. So if your in 9th grade in another state and your held back you can be two years older then that kid from long island in 9th grade. depending on where his/her birthday is.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quick question: If a LI player does a PG year, is it still cheating? Or does that only apply to the rest of the country? Isn't that taking away a legitimate opportunity from a deserving 2016?

"No. 6 senior @BrianWilletts, A, Smithtown East (N.Y.) has decommitted from Carolina. He just told me he will PG and play for @NDlacrosse."

Likely for ND the kid had to do a PG year to get his academics squared away because while he could make it grades wise in Carolina, he could not in ND. And at the College level, it (a PG year) is not an issue. He isn't going to play next year as a 2016, is he? No, this kid is doing it the right way!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Likely for ND the kid had to do a PG year to get his academics squared away because while he could make it grades wise in Carolina, he could not in ND. And at the College level, it (a PG year) is not an issue. He isn't going to play next year as a 2016, is he? No, this kid is doing it the right way!

Why are you assuming that a PG year will be good for his GPA? He might do well but he might also struggle at a boarding school. What happens to the ND opportunity if he struggles? There's no guarantee that his grades will improve.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
AAU just implemented new age requirements to cut down on cheating and double hold backs
You will need picture ID with age on it to play in tournaments

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
AAU just implemented new age requirements to cut down on cheating and double hold backs
You will need picture ID with age on it to play in tournaments

AAU has about as much influence over youth lax as USA Lacrosse does - none !

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lets get this started - my son is a 2018 and I verify his birthday is 3/19/2000 - who's next

My 2018 son is 8/1/2000. [cb]

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Let's start with age verification on BOTC. These posts are getting ridiculous!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just signed son up for a tournament where the registration system cross-referenced the birthdate with the U.S. Lacrosse database based on the number. (I had typed in 2/21 instead of 2/12 and it kicked me out until I fixed.) Pretty nifty. I doubt many parents used a fake birthdate when they signed up for U.S. Lacrosse in the first place and, regardless, let U.S. Lacrosse require proof of birth once and let tournaments rely on that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My 2018 son is 8/1/2000. [cb]

I like the idea but seems meaningless without names, no?

2019 - 6/23/2001

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One of the players on my sons 2019 team had his arm broken today by a giant player from Edge Lacrosse out of Canada in the 3D fl$ tournament in MD.

Parents on sideline were saying the kids are in 9th grade and some in 10th.

Talk about unsafe and unfair. My son is a decent size 13 year old and should NOT be playing against these beasts one and two years older and that's assuming none were held back!!!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Im sure it has written in a prior post
but all players should have players cards with -photo -jersey # and Date of birth

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
but all players should have players cards with -photo -jersey # and Date of birth
Too much money involved for the travel programs controlling the game. Never going to change. Every year its the same thing on both the boys and girls side. It absolute bullcrap. The largest youth sport in the country soccer does it with zero problems.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One of the players on my sons 2019 team had his arm broken today by a giant player from Edge Lacrosse out of Canada in the 3D fl$ tournament in MD.

Parents on sideline were saying the kids are in 9th grade and some in 10th.

Talk about unsafe and unfair. My son is a decent size 13 year old and should NOT be playing against these beasts one and two years older and that's assuming none were held back!!!
is that the team with that middie someone said was committed as a 2019.

Rediculous

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Too much money involved for the travel programs controlling the game. Never going to change. Every year its the same thing on both the boys and girls side. It absolute bullcrap. The largest youth sport in the country soccer does it with zero problems.

Yes they do
make it club responsibility
no cards no games
the idea is simple

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lacrosse is living in the stone ages when it comes to this. How in this day and age do not they not play in age brackets vs "school years" is beyond me. In addition @ any given tourney outside of a once in a while USLacrosse registration (still dont require birth certificates to register) requirement, you can have upper class kids fill roster spots for teams. To sum it up, you can have a kid get "left back" 2x's and be 2 years older than the kids in his age group and be legitamely eligible.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unfortunately it will take one good lawsuit or a fatality on the field for US lacrosse to make any changes. Let's hope it's the latter.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes they do
no cards no games
the idea is simple

The 800 pound gorillas in the travel world don't want it so it wont happen. US lacrosse is just happy the travel teams keep forcing the kids to register for US lax

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I would like to see lacrosse adopt the same system that youth hockey uses. It is done by your birth year thats it plain and simple. When you play in other parts of the country it doesnt become an issue when the school cut off is. Until then its really just cheating .

Spot on
all youth sports should and need to be done by date of birth
period end of story

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
just played this weekend at a girls tournament. We had 3 different age groups on the team and it appeared that some teams had kids playing down again

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes they do
no cards no games
the idea is simple

The 800 pound gorillas in the travel world don't want it so it wont happen. US lacrosse is just happy the travel teams keep forcing the kids to register for US lax

YES! Play up at your own peril but no playing down. But certain clubs love it! You will never see this at a 3D tourney.

In 8th grade it is hard enough when some of the boys have hit puberty and are 180 lb men and some boys are skinny 80 lb boys.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not endorsing the holdback thing , but skinny at age kids usually aren't seen at elite level teams. That's just the way it is. Size does matter when it comes down to fielding a team of 20 kids. Face the reality if your kid is too small. Sorry but true.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not endorsing the holdback thing , but skinny at age kids usually aren't seen at elite level teams. That's just the way it is. Size does matter when it comes down to fielding a team of 20 kids. Face the reality if your kid is too small. Sorry but true.

Someone needs to tell that to some of the smaller Crush boys running cicles around our kids twice their size in the u15a bracket last weekend . Our team is from MD and they dominated us. Never underestimate a component based on size!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Edge are a bunch of thugs whose behavior is better suited to a hockey team. I wish tournament organizers in the US would tell them to stay home.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Someone needs to tell that to some of the smaller Crush boys running cicles around our kids twice their size in the u15a bracket last weekend . Our team is from MD and they dominated us. Never underestimate a component based on size!

Well said

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey that's my birthday, we must be twins!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Edge are a bunch of thugs whose behavior is better suited to a hockey team. I wish tournament organizers in the US would tell them to stay home.

They play tough because they are more exposed to box lacrosse. Nothing "thuggery" about that. If the refs don't call the fouls, then they must not be fouls. Personally, I like their toughness.
Stick skill wise they have finesse, on defense I will admit they lack composure. That doesn't mean they shouldn't get an invite.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Their a year older. Their website says 2019 Tryout, looking for 9th grade and exceptional 8th graders. They clearly define what reclassing means to them. Taking your PG year "now" and playing in your PG grad year...NOW! wth. Not making it up its on their site! Their not tough, their not, their a year older beating up on younger kids, real tough.

They play tough because they are more exposed to box lacrosse. Nothing "thuggery" about that. If the refs don't call the fouls, then they must not be fouls. Personally, I like their toughness.
Stick skill wise they have finesse, on defense I will admit they lack composure. That doesn't mean they shouldn't get an invite.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well said

Just because the other team is big doesn't mean they have elite skills. So yes a smaller team can run circle around bigger kids. I did say elite teams in my post.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Their a year older. Their website says 2019 Tryout, looking for 9th grade and exceptional 8th graders. They clearly define what reclassing means to them. Taking your PG year "now" and playing in your PG grad year...NOW! wth. Not making it up its on their site! Their not tough, their not, their a year older beating up on younger kids, real tough.

I see what you are saying. And I don't believe in stacking rosters. That's not right and it's dangerous.

US Lax....where are you?!! All it takes is some clear definitions. Put out requirements to tourney leaders, etc.

Picture ID with birth dates. Line the kids up before every game and then let them play.

The sport of Lacrosse is begging for this. If US Lax did this, the CLA would follow.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
But the local directors an dclub leaders are for the mostpart fighting it, SCPAL voted down going to age limits instead of grade and having football like rosters.

I see what you are saying. And I don't believe in stacking rosters. That's not right and it's dangerous.

US Lax....where are you?!! All it takes is some clear definitions. Put out requirements to tourney leaders, etc.

Picture ID with birth dates. Line the kids up before every game and then let them play.

The sport of Lacrosse is begging for this. If US Lax did this, the CLA would follow.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well said

Just because the other team is big doesn't mean they have elite skills. So yes a smaller team can run circle around bigger kids. I did say elite teams in my post.

The better skilled players will always trump size in lacrosse. And the tournament featured elite teams from MD and Canada. this can be seen at the youth and HS level.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Skill over size, that is true, however it places the kids at serious risk of injury. More so when the big kids get frustrated at losing. Teams who try to make up for lack of skill with brute force, and clueless parents who think "that's lacrosse" do a real disservice to the game and the rest of us have an obligation to call it out when we see it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Skill over size, that is true, however it places the kids at serious risk of injury. More so when the big kids get frustrated at losing. Teams who try to make up for lack of skill with brute force, and clueless parents who think "that's lacrosse" do a real disservice to the game and the rest of us have an obligation to call it out when we see it.

Have to agree here. Seen that happen plenty of times!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agreed too. Particularly at ages when some kids are hitting puberty and some aren't.

Not rocket science. US Lacrosse requires Proof of Birth and establish software that allows tournaments to offer online registration and waivers that cross reference US Lacrosse database.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Edge program and the 2019 LI Express Westchester kids injury should not really be part of the HOLDBACK conversation. The Edge 2019 team was made up of current 9th and 10th graders--not holdbacks....they are just outright cheating and putting kids at risk of serious injury.

If you are a current 9th or 10th grader you are NOT a 2019 grad year. Therefore, you should NOT be playing on a 2019 team. Nor, should the EDGE LACROSSE program be permitted to stack a roster of older kids and enter them in a 2019 division.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son was 5' 95 lbs in 9th grade, graduated at 6'2 180 and became much more skilled than the early bloomers who relied only on size in 9th grade. I think this is going to separate the smart college coaches from the ones caught up in early recruiting frenzy. They tend to recruit early bloomers early partially because the whole process is so new they aren't used to evaluating the potential of 14 year olds because they had been used to evaluating 16 and 17 year olds. Size is an advantage to a point, I don't disagree, but sometimes it is overemphasized in 9th grade.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Understand the different dynamics of box lacrosse, leave them in the box.

Same mentality as the sideline coaching dads who shout "take him out" or "put him on his back" - sends the wrong message to the kids.

Would like to hear more from the poster who said they had a player's arm broken by an Edge 2019 player.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From the 2019 thread:

PLEASE READ from EDGE Lacrosse website:

Fall 2014 - Edge 2020 Team (2001/2002 Born/U13)

The 2020/U13 age will be a mixed age of the top 2001 and 2002 born players. This is due to early reclassification of our 2018 and 2019 teams as they enter and prepare for FRESHMEN and Rising Freshmen events. Reclassification is the process in which a player competes in their PG (Post graduate) age division as opposed to their natural 4 year grad year. This is due to US players starting school a year later or staying back a year prior to entering high school. This results in US born players to be a year older as we enter high school. With early recruitment becoming increasingly common among the top DI schools, it is important for our members to reclassify in grade 8/9 in order to compete against similar aged US counterparts. Reclassifying provides our members with the best opportunities to be recruited by the top DI programs in grade 9 and 10.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm glad [lacrosse]'s requires proof of birthdate in re the Edge teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From the 2019 thread:

The 2020/U13 age will be a mixed age of the top 2001 and 2002 born players. This is due to early reclassification of our 2018 and 2019 teams as they enter and prepare for FRESHMEN and Rising Freshmen events. Reclassification is the process in which a player competes in their PG (Post graduate) age division as opposed to their natural 4 year grad year. This is due to US players starting school a year later or staying back a year prior to entering high school. This results in US born players to be a year older as we enter high school. With early recruitment becoming increasingly common among the top DI schools, it is important for our members to reclassify in grade 8/9 in order to compete against similar aged US counterparts. Reclassifying provides our members with the best opportunities to be recruited by the top DI programs in grade 9 and 10.
geesh what is everyone thinking? lacrosse is a game that will be over after college. Get an education and graduate on time

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe this might qualify as criminal if a player is injured. How can the guys running tournaments permit them to register knowing they are older kids?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is the program policy??????????

Ban the EDGE LACROSSE from all US tournaments.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From the 2019 thread:

wondering if in Canadian educational system might be different. kids with 2001/2002 bdays if born Sept 1 2001 or later would be age appropriate for u13 and the correct age for 2020 in most US jurisdictions

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1-1-01 to 8-31-01 is a pretty big gap though.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is the program policy??????????

Ban the EDGE LACROSSE from all US tournaments.

Let's take it easy on our neibors to the north. They are not the Soviets .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why would the Edge program need to justify recruiting older kids for their teams if that was the norm i Canada?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe this might qualify as criminal if a player is injured. How can the guys running tournaments permit them to register knowing they are older kids?

there seems to be 2 different things here. If the players are still in 9th not 8th it could get interesting. if held back and in 8th nothing you can do about it.

as far as criminal not to sure about criminal but civil boundaries yes; if one of these 9th grade boys hurts another any waiver the hurt boy's family signed will become null and void. Since the prescribed predetermine level of play was not upheld.

it also seems as if the tournament was warned a head of time and put that warning in a few public forums. this could be very interesting as it rolls out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is there a rule on stick length? When my son's team played them at Cornell their shorty sticks looked unusually short....as in impossible to check short.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Edge Lacrosse simply bumps each team down one year in registration, just check their website:

Age Classification
2015/2016 - (1996/1997 Born)
2017 - (1998 Born)
2018 - (1999 Born)
2019 - (2000 Born) Reclassified team
2019 - (2001 Born) TRYOUT with 2020 team

They don't even attempt to hide the fact that they are cheating. This is NOT reclassification, this is a purposeful behavior to give their players an.....EDGE. If every team simply played a year down, they would dominate. But, there is a real consequence, that being injuries. The player who got hurt at the Md tournament by a 2019 Edge player is one example. If that kid was now paralyzed, what would the reaction be?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe it is a Canadian thing. The APEX teams from Canada who played this past weekend had many kids who were in the grade a year older than the published division. 2019 grad years playing on the 2020 team - they openly discussed it on the field and saw nothing wrong with it. What they said on the field was easily validated as a few weekends before the same team played Hogan and self reported grad years of 2019. Their stick skills not too great so they tried to make up for it by brute force and physical play. It will take a life changing injury and lawsuit to make them think twice about not validating grades and ages in the youth divisions.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is there a rule on stick length? When my son's team played them at Cornell their shorty sticks looked unusually short....as in impossible to check short.

if playing HS rules yes. pretty ballzy to ask for a stick check. never heard of one in a youth game, but I guess this isn't youth anymore.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe it is a Canadian thing. The APEX teams from Canada who played this past weekend had many kids who were in the grade a year older than the published division. 2019 grad years playing on the 2020 team - they openly discussed it on the field and saw nothing wrong with it. What they said on the field was easily validated as a few weekends before the same team played Hogan and self reported grad years of 2019. Their stick skills not too great so they tried to make up for it by brute force and physical play. It will take a life changing injury and lawsuit to make them think twice about not validating grades and ages in the youth divisions.

It is easy (as many have done) to dismiss the age differential that is now showing up due to non-age based teams as a relatively minor matter. After all, the argument goes, good players play up etc... the risk of injury also seems to get discounted as just a "risk of the game".

As the parent of a 6th grader playing on a AA 20/21 team at the Autumn Classic last weekend I saw the Apex 2020 team and it was very good with very, very big, and very physical players. Only by the luck of the brackets did my son's team not play Apex and for that I am thankful. Otherwise 6th graders would have been playing big 8th graders (who were all 4-6 inches taller and 20 to 30 pounds heavier). A player is going to get badly hurt. I am seriously considering pulling my son out of lacrosse, a sport he loves, and have him play soccer.

This is a big issue that is changing youth lacrosse as I write this and it is not going to go away.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Check out the team photos from Facebook

2019: http://instagram.com/p/vgj0CbktxN/

2020: http://instagram.com/p/vgiMrlkt1k/

one year difference? I think not!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
13 years old? Maybe the coach is a [lacrosse].

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
13 years old? Maybe the coach is a [lacrosse].

Wow a lot of those boys are bigger than the kids on my kid's 2017 team and we have some 6'2" 190 lb boys. Granted there are typically a few early bloomers but they look 15 or 16.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Check out the team photos from Facebook

2019: http://instagram.com/p/vgj0CbktxN/

2020: http://instagram.com/p/vgiMrlkt1k/

one year difference? I think not!

Other boards are beginning to cite the Age Verification board and this thread about Edge Lacrosse. I think everyone who understands what they are doing will be thoroughly appalled, it really is revolting and something should be done. I sent an email to the coach of my sons team asking him to not register in any tournaments the Edge is playing in.

Something needs to be done.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is all about the MONEY!!!! The (men?) running these top teams are also running these tournaments! How come one of the biggest L.I. tournaments didn't even ask for waivers last year? So teams could play down or liability when a fifth grader gets paralyzed by a seventh grader on the same field! They are not playing for glory, but so that team can win and said team can make more MONEY!!! The new angle is these teams are fielding and entering multiple teams per grade level and combining kids from both teams to which ever team makes finals!!!
How come when these kids hit High School level and can not play down (because the recruiters are watching) these great TEAMS can't win a game!!!
For all the Teams playing at the right level and putting their kids in the best Colleges, we look forward to playing these teams in the future. This is not about the MONEY but the KIDS and the legacy of this great game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is all about the MONEY!!!! The (men?) running these top teams are also running these tournaments! How come one of the biggest L.I. tournaments didn't even ask for waivers last year? So teams could play down or liability when a fifth grader gets paralyzed by a seventh grader on the same field! They are not playing for glory, but so that team can win and said team can make more MONEY!!! The new angle is these teams are fielding and entering multiple teams per grade level and combining kids from both teams to which ever team makes finals!!!
How come when these kids hit High School level and can not play down (because the recruiters are watching) these great TEAMS can't win a game!!!
For all the Teams playing at the right level and putting their kids in the best Colleges, we look forward to playing these teams in the future. This is not about the MONEY but the KIDS and the legacy of this great game.

It is about the money and the clubs and a completely ineffectual national organization, US Lacrosse, that has as its core mission precisely what it refuses to do, promote player safety. I would encourage concerned parents to contact US Lacrosse as I have done. I do not expect that any one complaint to US Lacrosse will do anything, but if enough people complain (and expose US Lacrosse for being completely ineffectual) then perhaps US Lacrosse will feel some pressure to do something. Anything at this point would be an improvement.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It is about the money and the clubs and a completely ineffectual national organization, US Lacrosse, that has as its core mission precisely what it refuses to do, promote player safety. I would encourage concerned parents to contact US Lacrosse as I have done. I do not expect that any one complaint to US Lacrosse will do anything, but if enough people complain (and expose US Lacrosse for being completely ineffectual) then perhaps US Lacrosse will feel some pressure to do something. Anything at this point would be an improvement.

Money is the root - Stop paying US lacrosse. Stop the source of money and force them to listen.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

3d does this with HS players, juniors play as 2017s claiming they are going to do a PG year then next tourney or even same tourney they are on a 2016 team. One kid played as a 2017 this summer then committed as a 2016 the following week. It is about winning so your club looks better.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was just alerted to this message board so please bear with me and let me get the facts in order regarding the Edge lacrosse program:

The Edge lacrosse program enters their teams in divisions that are one year younger than the actual age of their entire team? They are NOT reclassifying, they are just out right cheating. On top of this, some kid got his arm broken by one of the older Edge players. Do I have this all correct?

Who is permitting this to occur?
Who is ultimately liable if a player is seriously injured?
What can we do as parents to protect our children?
Any ideas?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lets not forget that the Edge team probably "re-classed" their "9th graders" last year anyway, so the "current 9th graders" they are recruiting for the 8th grade (2019) team are actually 10th graders. They can't get away with this in ice hockey, USA Hockey will not allow it, so they turn to lacrosse (since Canadians are terrible at football, baseball, soccer and basketball, all sports that are governed by birth year, enough said...)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For 2017s Edge specifies 1998 birth year. In the US 2017s would be late 1998 and 1999s, depending on school enrollment cut offs.

The 2019 is the most shocking as they specify they want 9th graders ( 2018s ) and talented 8th graders, and will compete at u15 tourneys. With the exception of nationals i15 typically preclude high school players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We need to be vocal with our coaches and clubs who in turn must be vocal with the organizers of any tournament that Edge is entered in. US Lacrosse should be helping out here but they are not.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We need to be vocal with our coaches and clubs who in turn must be vocal with the organizers of any tournament that Edge is entered in. US Lacrosse should be helping out here but they are not.

Unfortunately tons of American teams do it too.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As published team policy? Don't think so. Purposely recruiting kids one grade older and trying to rationuze it via some school year mumbo jumbo is not the same as a team having a few holdbacks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A couple of Canadian kids steal a few roster spots on Div1 teams and you people are losing your minds!! grin

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If your worrying about your litle boy playing against a reclassed kid a year older what the heck ya going to do when he gets to college and has to play against kids 3 years older!!

Chess club has openings

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If your worrying about your litle boy playing against a reclassed kid a year older what the heck ya going to do when he gets to college and has to play against kids 3 years older!!

Chess club has openings

In college they won't play any kids! They will play against grown men of varying ages. That's the difference.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most kids will hit puberty by then, the college level also really have the better kids playing. Right now a lot of is it for fun and people shouldnt cheat. Better question, what are these kids who play down going to do when they get to college and dont have the advantage anymore ?
If your worrying about your little boy playing against a reclassed kid a year older what the heck ya going to do when he gets to college and has to play against kids 3 years older!!

Chess club has openings

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please show me a US based program that publishes a policy of registering teams one division below their teams actual age.

Read this carefully before posting a response

Edge Lacrosse website:

This is due to early reclassification of our 2018 and 2019 teams as they enter and prepare for FRESHMEN and Rising Freshmen events. Reclassification is the process in which a player competes in their PG (Post graduate) age division as opposed to their natural 4 year grad year. This is due to US players starting school a year later or staying back a year prior to entering high school. This results in US born players to be a year older as we enter highschool. With early recruitment becoming increasingly common among the top DI schools, it is important for our members to reclassify in grade 8/9 in order to compete against similar aged US counterparts. Reclassifying provides our members with the best opportunities to be recruited by the top DI programs in grade 9 and 10.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This could be the most narrow minded, idiotic response I've read on this entire message board. Chess club?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am worried about my 6th grader, who has not yet hit puberty, playing against the 8th (or 9th) grader with hairy legs and a five o'clock shadow. pretty confident that things will even out some by high school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Chess club has openings

Could not agree more with the prior poster's categorization of this comment as "idiotic". No one is talking about or concerned about size difference of college players. The concern is youth lacrosse and the move from age based teams to grade based teams (and the resulting absurd and dangerous mismatches of age and size as older players are held back or just ignore the applicable grade level and play down). Pretending there is no issue will not make the issue go away. Moreover, suggesting that players who are grade appropriate in age and size should either just deal with hold backs or"play chess" is beyond idiotic and speaks volumes as to the author.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the difference of U11 where kids can be 2 years apart vs grade based where most kids will be within 15 months given most hold backs are likely summer birthdays?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe the Chess comment was thrown out there to see who would bite.
Fish On!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There were a healthy amount of 2017 boys playing today for their HS varsity teams. There was also a good amount of 2018's and we even noticed a few 2019's families on the fields today.

The difference is they choose to play up they knew they were playing older opponents. The few young ins' I knew playing their folks did some homework. Their sons also have the bodies and skill to hold their own.

Knowledge is power. Not knowing who you are playing is dangerous.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If programs like Edge are permitted to enter teams "down" and age bracket by tournament program directors, this will become the new norm. All "elite" programs will start doing the same thing to remain competitive.

Youth lacrosse needs leaders, who will step up?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If programs like Edge are permitted to enter teams "down" and age bracket by tournament program directors, this will become the new norm. All "elite" programs will start doing the same thing to remain competitive.

Youth lacrosse needs leaders, who will step up?

We all need to step up. Write a letter to US Lacrosse, and if in Canada to the CLA. Talk to tournament organizers and put the pressure on. It may take time, but Age Verification Cards need to become a reality.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please show me a US based program that publishes a policy of registering teams one division below their teams actual age.

Edge Lacrosse website:

This is due to early reclassification of our 2018 and 2019 teams as they enter and prepare for FRESHMEN and Rising Freshmen events. Reclassification is the process in which a player competes in their PG (Post graduate) age division as opposed to their natural 4 year grad year. This is due to US players starting school a year later or staying back a year prior to entering high school. This results in US born players to be a year older as we enter highschool. With early recruitment becoming increasingly common among the top DI schools, it is important for our members to reclassify in grade 8/9 in order to compete against similar aged US counterparts. Reclassifying provides our members with the best opportunities to be recruited by the top DI programs in grade 9 and 10.

This Canadien club doesn't understand what reclassification means. As I understand it, when US players are re-classified, they retake 8th grade. In the example of the boy who had his arm broken, the 2019 players are all grad year 2019. The Edge club makes an assumption that ALL of the players will do a post grad year so they decided to register teams based on their post grad graduation year.....?

This is a twisted way to gain an advantage for your clubs players. I feel for the kid who got hurt but lacrosse players get injured. As a parent, I would like to have a choice as to if I allow my son to play against older kids, we shouldn't be deceived. That's what this is about for me. We, as parents, are being deceived so I do not have the ability to make a decision with the facts at hand.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is this "We" [lacrosse] ? What are you French now ? Some o u LI parents are doing it now. It will get worse. Now these future stars are starting school late here on LI so it's not as obvious when they are 13. Everyone is nuts. Parents dreams of D1 is over for a lot of LI kids. Sport exploded all over by now. The Canadians are superior athletes. Plain and simple. Hockey , box , whatever it is they have it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Edge Lacrosse website:

This needs to be shared with ALL TOURNAMENT DIRECTORS where this team plans to play. By notifying them of this practice, you void any waiver. You are notifying them that the brackets they set are not being adhered to, and therefore if they allow the team to compete in an improper age group, they are voiding their agreement as a vendor.
The truth of the matter is, this club is allowing 2018 players, who may have been held back already, to play as 2019 players. Even if you do a PG year, you still graduate your HS and then move on.
For those of you ranting and raving that re-classing is cheating, this club is actually the ones who are cheating.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is this "We" [lacrosse] ? What are you French now ? Some o u LI parents are doing it now. It will get worse. Now these future stars are starting school late here on LI so it's not as obvious when they are 13. Everyone is nuts. Parents dreams of D1 is over for a lot of LI kids. Sport exploded all over by now. The Canadians are superior athletes. Plain and simple. Hockey , box , whatever it is they have it.

You are not reading the program policy. Show me any US programs registering teams in lower age groups because the players MIGHT do a year of post grad before college. They are not reclassifying a few players by having them repeat 8th grade, they are reclassifying entire teams based on the premise that the kids expect to do a PG year. That's just wrong and no other program in the US is doing it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why are tournament organizers allowing a program to cheat so blatantly? Why would they risk being sued by some kids family who gets badly injured?

Is this what lacrosse is all about? Its not how I was raised on the game and I'll not support nor foster this type of behavior. I spoke with our club teams director about this Canadian team from Edge Lacrosse because my son is a 2019 grad. I sent out emails to all of the parents describing what the Edge does and they are in complete agreement that we will not allow our kids to play them in a tournament.

Action must be taken, stop posting and start doing something. Send some emails to these Frog Thugs. One of our parents suggested the parents of the player who was injured should press charges against the Edge club. He's an attorney.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed. I'm not going to allow my son to play against all the holdback loving clubs (Express North, Crabs, Laxachuesetts, Express). Come on now. While it's unfortunate that a boy got hurt, I think he was on the 2019 Express North team which has at least 8-9 holdbacks. Seems like they were possibly playing an aged appropriate team in Edge. Repeating 8th grade is crazy and should be a major embarrassment for the parents and kids. But it is what it is. Go on the field and play. This site seems to be way too consumed with cheaters. Let's move on.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Should re-title this thread "The Whining Parents". Glad my parents generation was not like the current one. They just dropped me off at practice and said "do your best and play hard". No wonder many people proclaim the pussification of America. Can't hover over little Johnnie forever folks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Edge should just be evaluated for what they are: a team that is a year older than the divisions they are currently permitted to enter. So 2020 Edge should be welcome at any tournament.....provided they take their rightful place in the 2019 division and so on and so forth for all their teams. Given how they advertise their program on their own website I don't see how they could be surprised. Nor, as an attorney, do I think that tournamant directors would be absolved of liability if an Edge kid seriously hurt someone. Even a passing view of the Edge website site reveals their philosophy so it will be tough for any director to claim ignorance. Presumably there is some basic due diligence associated with hosting a tournament. Somebody will get hurt, a lawsuit will follow, and then maybe people who currently look the other way will start paying serious attention.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am Canadian - my son was born in Nov 1998 and is in grade 11, so he is a 2016. He is 6'2" 210 lbs and a very physical D man.
If he went to school in most states he would be in grade 10 being a Nov baby, so now he is a 2017. If he was to repeat grade 8 like some American kids that would make him a 2018!!

If he were to go to college in 2016 he would show up at college as a 17 year old. Most College coaches we have spoke to have stated the they dont want 17 year olds on thier roster and he should do a PG year/reclass.

He doesnt play for Edge but dont blame Edge for the whole reclass fiasco in the end it is the Colleges that make the decisions and will pay for most of the schooling so if they want reclassified kids, people will reclass!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am Canadian - my son was born in Nov 1998 and is in grade 11, so he is a 2016. He is 6'2" 210 lbs and a very physical D man.
If he went to school in most states he would be in grade 10 being a Nov baby, so now he is a 2017. If he was to repeat grade 8 like some American kids that would make him a 2018!!

If he were to go to college in 2016 he would show up at college as a 17 year old. Most College coaches we have spoke to have stated the they dont want 17 year olds on thier roster and he should do a PG year/reclass.

He doesnt play for Edge but dont blame Edge for the whole reclass fiasco in the end it is the Colleges that make the decisions and will pay for most of the schooling so if they want reclassified kids, people will reclass!!!

If the kids broken arm was a broken neck, would we dismiss this as whining? Not a topic that should garner so much attention? Get real people, this issue needs to be addressed head on. Save the sport and don't allow kids to be placed in harms way without notice.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
why doesn't Suffolk lacrosse have the same thing as Suffolk pal football they use a program called direct roster when the players are registered a pictures and put it is get printed out with their name birthdate and organization
it needs to start somewhere

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Edge should just be evaluated for what they are: a team that is a year older than the divisions they are currently permitted to enter. So 2020 Edge should be welcome at any tournament.....provided they take their rightful place in the 2019 division and so on and so forth for all their teams. Given how they advertise their program on their own website I don't see how they could be surprised. Nor, as an attorney, do I think that tournamant directors would be absolved of liability if an Edge kid seriously hurt someone. Even a passing view of the Edge website site reveals their philosophy so it will be tough for any director to claim ignorance. Presumably there is some basic due diligence associated with hosting a tournament. Somebody will get hurt, a lawsuit will follow, and then maybe people who currently look the other way will start paying serious attention.

If you feel Edge should do that ok. What about the US teams ? Are they dismissed because they only have some on the teams that do it ? Let's not be hypocritical here. Every team is doing it now. Whether it's the whole team or just a few.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2018 crabs have six 1998 b days and a bunch of 1999. That is just plain cheating.
If they played age, they be at best just an average team

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you feel Edge should do that ok. What about the US teams ? Are they dismissed because they only have some on the teams that do it ? Let's not be hypocritical here. Every team is doing it now. Whether it's the whole team or just a few.

This post points out the irony and hypocrisy of the current holdback / age based team fiasco. As long as the big east coast clubs (and compliant parents with visions of D-1 positions for their sons) can game the rules by going to age based teams and holding kids back to get age and size advantage (the euphemism the "advantage of time" is precious); everything is just fine. Anyone who complains is a "whiner" and an over protective "helicopter parent" who just will not let the boys play. However, as soon as a team dares to be constituted entirely of holdbacks (which is the logical end result to the system gaming), then there is strident bitching and moaning that that team is "cheating". How dare a team be created with just holdbacks and players playing down. Put another way, it’s OK if we do it for some players (and get a competitive advantage over other teams), but it is not OK (in fact it's cheating or much worse) if another team does it for all players and gets a competitive advantage over us.

The problem is that using grade level as the standard for organizing teams is no standard at all, if (as is the case); parents, coaches are willing hold kids back or simply play kids down. In a grade based system how can you even challenge or enforce against players playing down? There is no proof as to what grade a kid is in (which is the point of course and what makes grade based teams so seductive until it backfires).

As arbitrary as age based teams can be around the edges, it is the only solution for youth lacrosse. A prior poster had it right: Lacrosse at this point has no integrity.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's why this thread exists to prompt some kind of U.S. Lacrosse action to regulate tournament age/grade rules. It's the wild west right now and that's not safe.

The best course of action right now is to encourage your program to only pick tournaments that actually have or enforce age or grade rules. Sadly, those seem to be the exception to the rule.

By the way, regarding Canadian age rules for grades, I think they are only about 1 month different than the rule for NY, which is in turn only about 3 months different than U.S. Lacrosse. Certainly not different enough to justify dropping teams down an entire grade level.

And since when did wanting collective action for safe and competitively fair gameplay count as whining? Are all the sports that have it a bunch of whiners? I'd say holding back your kid for artificial competitive advantage is the ultimate "whine", but then again I can certainly see why parents do it for recruiting reasons.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There is a very important difference. Edge Lacrosse signs up entire teams in younger divisions as their program policy. When you play teams that have a few kids how were reclassified its the decision of the parents. Additionally, the Edge Lacrosse program is registering teams in younger brackets based on an assumption that all of the players will play a post graduation year and basing the registration on that year. Individual reclassified kids are being moved in school to the lower grad year now. In my mind, these two points differentiate the two scenarios and frankly, its not even debatable.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The fact is that most of the parents that complain about the holdbacks say it's about safety but in reality it's about the older kids dominating on the field and getting the better recruiting options.

Just be honest and say that you don't like older kids taking away precious D1 spots from your kid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't look at this thread or yourself as whining. You have an educated civilized approach. It's the person who cap locks and writes d bag cheaters. They are going about it all wrong. IMO. There's peaceful protest and then there's the people who burn and loot. I have no symphathy and they just annoy me. There's a wrong and a right way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is another way to look at it, if the Edge players reclassed and repeated 8th grade (like US players are doing), when they are in 9th grade they should "actually" be in 10th grade, correct? Their website plainly states that they are looking for 9th graders to play on their 8th grade team. Those 9th graders are "actually" 10th graders. That is where I have a problem. To take it one step further, if the parents held the boys back in kindergarten (like a lot of people do), he is "actually" an 11th grader, playing against 8th graders, give me a break.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
in Canada you cant hold your kid back for kindergarten and a quarter of the kids start school a year early as the school system is Jan-Dec unlike USA that is Sept-Aug. You are misinformed on Canadian school system.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The fact is that most of the parents that complain about the holdbacks say it's about safety but in reality it's about the older kids dominating on the field and getting the better recruiting options.

Just be honest and say that you don't like older kids taking away precious D1 spots from your kid.

Your truly do not get it. It is not about the D1 spots (although I suspect it is for you). It is about showing up at a tournament with kids 11 to 13 years old and playing in brackets with kids 14 and 15 year olds. Not so bad for the 13 year old playing against a 14 year old, but quite a problem when the 15 year old goes after the 11 year old in a game setting. When that happens it is not a game, but a bad and dangerous (yes dangerous) farce.

Like Reply Quote
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 24 25
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard