US Lacrosse
Page 11 of 40 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 39 40 >
New Reply
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46790 - 11/06/13 03:08 PM Re: Boys 2021 Fall 2013/Summer 2014 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I too have heard great things about Team LI. Would be nice to see all the 2021's just go to one tourney together and lets put the BS about who is who to rest. Bring your best team.

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
Back of THE CAGE Sponsors

#47216 - 11/13/13 07:49 AM Re: Boys 2021 Fall 2013/Summer 2014 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dear Parents, coaches, and directors of that read this thread; the fundamental issue is age or grade based, stop talking about a specific team or teams as it only takes objectivity out of the discussion. On long island there has been a growing number of players who are being "red shirted" or "reclassified" as they call it at younger ages to hide the fact that they are being left back for athletic reasons, some for academic reasons. The point is there are more opportunities for safety issues with players playing on grade then by age. Hence US lacrosse about 6 years ago stepped in and followed suit with almost every major youth sports organization in the country to have lacrosse be played on a age level instead of grade based. This would ensure that all the players where the same age, plus make sure that there was no physical advantage on one team that could and most likely create a safety issue.

Now when we talk about Team Long Island or Team Igloo, or Team 91, or any club team you must look at what that club does to ensure the safety of its players, and the spirit of which youth lacrosse is played.

Until the boys hit manhood my personal opinion is that age based is a much better approach then grade. There are several players on all these teams who have been left back for one reason or another; creating an advantage that could lead to someone getting extremely injured. So teams that are age based can let the other coaches and other programs know that there will be no physical advantage. Which depending on which side of the fence you are on this issue is objectively a better approach.

Now there are qualifying events in Long Island that are grade based but highlight the fact that the tournament is for a age based qualifier. Teams that adhere to the age based format will be allowed to compete, the teams that adhere to a grade based format will be forced to leave some of their players off their rosters in order to compete. So all in all; age is the best way to make sure all teams are playing in a safe, competitive environment and in accordance to the national youth rules.

#47224 - 11/13/13 09:18 AM Re: Boys 2021 Fall 2013/Summer 2014 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
Dear Parents, coaches, and directors of that read this thread; the fundamental issue is age or grade based, stop talking about a specific team or teams as it only takes objectivity out of the discussion. On long island there has been a growing number of players who are being "red shirted" or "reclassified" as they call it at younger ages to hide the fact that they are being left back for athletic reasons, some for academic reasons. The point is there are more opportunities for safety issues with players playing on grade then by age. Hence US lacrosse about 6 years ago stepped in and followed suit with almost every major youth sports organization in the country to have lacrosse be played on a age level instead of grade based. This would ensure that all the players where the same age, plus make sure that there was no physical advantage on one team that could and most likely create a safety issue.

Now when we talk about Team Long Island or Team Igloo, or Team 91, or any club team you must look at what that club does to ensure the safety of its players, and the spirit of which youth lacrosse is played.

Until the boys hit manhood my personal opinion is that age based is a much better approach then grade. There are several players on all these teams who have been left back for one reason or another; creating an advantage that could lead to someone getting extremely injured. So teams that are age based can let the other coaches and other programs know that there will be no physical advantage. Which depending on which side of the fence you are on this issue is objectively a better approach.

Now there are qualifying events in Long Island that are grade based but highlight the fact that the tournament is for a age based qualifier. Teams that adhere to the age based format will be allowed to compete, the teams that adhere to a grade based format will be forced to leave some of their players off their rosters in order to compete. So all in all; age is the best way to make sure all teams are playing in a safe, competitive environment and in accordance to the national youth rules.

The Problem is that US Lacrosse groups age every two years, U15, U13, U11, U9. So boys will be playing against other boys who are two years older.
If they did one year age groups it would be better for all.

#47242 - 11/13/13 11:25 AM Re: Boys 2021 Fall 2013/Summer 2014 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Beg to Differ , they no longer have there key ingredient which broke the barrier against 91 and put the numbers on the board in stony brook.

The 2021 team is a very good team....I saw them play last year. They beat us thoroughly and I saw them beat 91 orange 2x in 2 days in Stony Brook. They will definitely compete on the elite level against Igloo and others. Don't kid yourself.

Where is team Long Island? Evryone says that they are a good team.
Who have they beaten to say this? I have been to a number of tournaments this fall and still have not see this supposedly great team.

I support all Lacrosse...I am asking the question so I was expecting a simple answer...

So let me ask another question...Can this 2021 Team "straight up" beat the (2) other programs that you mentioned? Are they both 2020?

I am not familiar with the others because I am a NJ parent and saw this Igloo team this past weekend so curious as to how they fair against the better LI teams.

Fill me in.....

I am not an Igloo parent but know the team well. If they have any 6th graders (which they may not) it can't be more than one or two. I may be wrong on that and we may never get an answer. I think they are the best Long Island 2021 team even if you take the top three players off the roster. Remember Long Island lax has the best players spread on so many teams. If Long Island had only 5 to ten teams then all the teams would be elite and on Igloo's curent level. Don't confuse Igloo being the best TEAM with having the 20 best players on Long Island. They don't have all the best players. They are just very deep in talent and have played together for a very long time. There are Kids that are on 2021 "B" teams that would be top players on Igloo. I hope this answer helps you.

There are a few teams who will compete, if not trade victories with 2021 Igloo this year. Team LI 2021 is as good as any out there. 91 Orange very good as well. I have seen all these teams play at different tournaments and am sometimes amazed at the level of these teams. Very disciplined, skilled and team oriented. Should be a good year.

Team Long Island is out east. They are a very inexpensive program and I am not sure if the play in the Fall. They will have two to three teams per year. The top 2021 team is either second or third best (at 91 level) and the other teams in that program are not very good.

#47550 - 11/17/13 03:09 AM Re: Boys 2021 Fall 2013/Summer 2014 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wish I went with TLI instead of the current team I am with. The worst part is he made TLI too.

#47642 - 11/18/13 09:16 AM Re: Boys 2021 Fall 2013/Summer 2014 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

That 2021 TLI team has great depth....Believe me. I am sure they have also improved the past few months. No one player made that team great. They rotate players seamlessly at all positions.

#47662 - 11/18/13 10:36 AM Re: Boys 2021 Fall 2013/Summer 2014 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

When they played scrimmages against each other. LOL

That 2021 TLI team has great depth....Believe me. I am sure they have also improved the past few months. No one player made that team great. They rotate players seamlessly at all positions.

#48514 - 11/25/13 10:25 AM Re: Boys 2021 Fall 2013/Summer 2014 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are a lot of 2021 teams in the Fall Brawl Turkey Shootout. I noticed that 91 has 4 teams in that bracket, any thoughts about to how that bracket will play out?

#48646 - 11/26/13 11:51 AM Re: Boys 2021 Fall 2013/Summer 2014 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are a lot of 2021 teams in the Fall Brawl Turkey Shootout. I noticed that 91 has 4 teams in that bracket, any thoughts about to how that bracket will play out?
SMASH!

#48658 - 11/26/13 12:55 PM Re: Boys 2021 Fall 2013/Summer 2014 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

So can we plan one day....3 games and a playoff bracket....2021 "Bring it or go home" tournament. Get some of the better town teams there as well (Sachem, Garden City) AND LET'S JUST PUT THIS TO REST.

If we asked the coaches how many would sign up for it?

I am sick of hearing who is good and who is getting better and so on. I think it would be a good indication for the kids on where they stand and what the programs need to do to improve in the winter sessions.

Right/Wrong?

#48667 - 11/26/13 02:30 PM Re: Boys 2021 Fall 2013/Summer 2014 [Re: Anonymous]
VaLaxDad Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Loc: Fairfax, Virginia
Great points. I have tried to take this issue up with others on BOTC, with little reply. It seems many think WashDC teams "stack the deck" with older players against our LI brothers. As it turns out, our youth teams follow USLacrosse age guidelines, U9-U15. Properly enforced and without reclassing, it seems clear that we could be up to 3 months older than LI kids at the upper end of the age groups--so 2019, 2021 and 2023 (?). Of course, if LI teams are playing class year and reclassing at younger ages, it seems clear that LI teams could (would) be older.
I agree that the re-classing phenomenon is bad for the game; among other things it re-enforces the rich kid stereotype of lax players. I also believe that USLacrosse, through its insurance program, is in the best position to fix the issue. By simply refusing to issue insurance to youth tournaments, leagues and teams that do not follow its age guidelines, organizers, administrators and coaches would quickly recalibrate their events to comply. Parents, if forced to sign an affidavit certifying Jr’ s age or risk voiding their supplemental insurance (and opening up personal liability), would stop any age related shenanigans.
Doesn’t answer all problems, particularly those at HS level, but it seems like a good place to start with little downside

The Problem is that US Lacrosse groups age every two years, U15, U13, U11, U9. So boys will be playing against other boys who are two years older.

#48671 - 11/26/13 02:39 PM Re: Boys 2021 Fall 2013/Summer 2014 [Re: VaLaxDad]
CageSage Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Originally Posted By: VaLaxDad
Great points. I have tried to take this issue up with others on BOTC, with little reply.
BOTC did an exhaustive report on our discussions with US Lacrosse regarding age group controversies.

US Lacrosse agreed with BOTC's perspective that single year U-age groups must be introduced to improve the integrity of the youth game. Their response however was that there are an insufficient number of players in some of lacrosse's smaller markets to allow single age groups to be the norm.

Our perspective was that US Lacrosse should announce single age group U-age brackets and allow those smaller market teams to simply play in the proper age group of the oldest player on the team.

BOTC has found that US Lacrosse not only moves glacially but is largely out of touch with its constituency, particularly in the hotbed areas of New York and their own Baltimore backyard. When we last spoke, US Lacrosse was encouraging BOTC to engage with Northern California as an emerging market. Our counter was that there is sufficient work here on the east coast to establish a solid age-based foundation.

Needless to say, we have heard nothing back from US Lacrosse in the last four months. If it was not for the engagement with the Long Island Metropolitan Lacrosse Foundation (the local US Lacrosse Chapter), we would not even know that a national organization exists.

Therein is most of the problem.

#48676 - 11/26/13 04:05 PM Re: Boys 2021 Fall 2013/Summer 2014 [Re: CageSage]
VaLaxDad Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Loc: Fairfax, Virginia
Very interesting. Can you provide a link to the reports?

Single age U teams make sense. If numbers are too small, kids can play in older U bracket, same as now, but more flexible.

Any thoughts on enforcement?
Originally Posted By: CageSage
Originally Posted By: VaLaxDad
Great points. I have tried to take this issue up with others on BOTC, with little reply.
BOTC did an exhaustive report on our discussions with US Lacrosse regarding age group controversies.

US Lacrosse agreed with BOTC's perspective that single year U-age groups must be introduced to improve the integrity of the youth game. Their response however was that there are an insufficient number of players in some of lacrosse's smaller markets to allow single age groups to be the norm.

Our perspective was that US Lacrosse should announce single age group U-age brackets and allow those smaller market teams to simply play in the proper age group of the oldest player on the team.

BOTC has found that US Lacrosse not only moves glacially but is largely out of touch with its constituency, particularly in the hotbed areas of New York and their own Baltimore backyard. When we last spoke, US Lacrosse was encouraging BOTC to engage with Northern California as an emerging market. Our counter was that there is sufficient work here on the east coast to establish a solid age-based foundation.

Needless to say, we have heard nothing back from US Lacrosse in the last four months. If it was not for the engagement with the Long Island Metropolitan Lacrosse Foundation (the local US Lacrosse Chapter), we would not even know that a national organization exists.

Therein is most of the problem.

#48738 - 11/27/13 11:42 AM Re: Boys 2021 Fall 2013/Summer 2014 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Team 91 Orange will win this tournament.
Igloo is not playing.

#48740 - 11/27/13 12:12 PM Re: Boys 2021 Fall 2013/Summer 2014 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is no championship to win.
Its 3 games and go home.

Page 11 of 40 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 39 40 >
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Summer Tournaments
Battle in the Big Apple
Greenport Shootout
Lacrosse by 3
Lax 4 Backpax
LIMLF Shootout for Soldiers
Stony Brook Lax Clash
Summer Sunset (Boys)
Camps, Clinics & Leagues
DLT Pro Box Synergy Camp
Fall Twilight League
Hofstra University
Millon Lacrosse Boys Camps
Team Elevate Highpoint U.
Showcases
K&J Girls Showcase
Lacrosse by 3
Fall Tournaments
Fall Brawl
Fall Bay Bash
FLG 3D Fall Shootout
FLG Face-Off Combine
BOTC Sponsors

Long Island Clubs (Boys)
All Greys
Ballistix
Be The Best
Blaze
Blue Sharks
Braves
Buccaneers
Checkmate Sharks
EXCEL Lacrosse
Express
FLG Lacrosse
Gladiators
Havoc Dune Dawgs
Hitmen
Icon
Igloo
Jesters
Lax Warriors
Legacy
Lizards Elite
Millon Force
Outlaws
Pride
Rampage
Recon
Revolution
Rough Rider
Sting
Storm
Team 91
Team Long Island
Team Revolution
Threshers
Thunder
Tomahawks
True Blue
Turf Island Oilers
Viper Lacrosse
365lax
516 Lacrosse
Who's Online
0 registered (), 130 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod