The Blatant Fall Jam is looking to close out registration. Needed are a 4th Grade Team A and B, 5th Grade A, 6th Grade A, 7th Grade A and 8th Grade B. Email your interest to Blatant Lacrosse

Stay Informed
Most Recent Posts
Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
by Anonymous
20 minutes 6 seconds ago
Girls 2021 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
by Anonymous
20 minutes 24 seconds ago
Boys 2017 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
by Anonymous
29 minutes 14 seconds ago
Shoreham Wading River
by Anonymous
49 minutes 11 seconds ago
Long Island Clubs (Girls)
Adrenaline
Beach Bums
Blaze
Blue Devils
Express
FLG Lacrosse
Icon
Legacy
Liberty
LI Bengals
LI Jesters
LI Revolution
Revolution
Rough Rider
South Shore Surf
Team 91
Team Elevate
Title 9
Top Guns
Wave
Yellow Jackets
365 Lax
Long Island Town Teams
Farmingdale
Franklin Square
Garden City
Manhasset PAL
Massapequa
North Shore
Northport
Plainedge
Plainview
Roslyn
Sachem
Smithtown
Syosset
Three Village
Lax Toons
New York Clubs
City Stars Lacrosse
Dip N Dunk Lacrosse
Grip-It n' Rip-It
Head Heart Hustle
Hudson Valley Express
Landsharks
Rev Westchester
Top Side Lacrosse
Westrock
New Jersey Clubs
Brotherhood
Building Blocks
Gamerz
Leading Edge
Patriot
T3 Lacrosse
Team Turnpike
Tri-State
Trilogy
360 Lacrosse
Connecticut Clubs
Cardinals
Chargers
Dodgers
Fun in the Sun
Lax Plus
Lazers
Make A Wish Lacrosse
Miller Lacrosse M|11
New Lax
Noreaster
Rip-It
Still River
Team 203
Top Dawg
Maryland Clubs
Arden Diamondbacks
Baltimore Breakers
Cannons Select
CC Lacrosse
Crabs Lacrosse
FCA Lacrosse
Greene Turtle
Looney's Lacrosse - Boys
Looney's Lacrosse - Girls
MadLax
MadLax Baltimore
MadLax Capital
M&D Lazers Girls Lacrosse
M&D Zingos Boys Lacrosse
Maryland Elite
Sky Walkers
83 Elite Lacrosse
Page 13 of 152 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 151 152 >
New Reply
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#48394 - 11/24/13 10:16 AM Re: Shoreham Wading River [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

An extremely touching letter from Coach V; one of the greatest coaches to coach the game. Pretty much sums it up. Amazing how a Superintendant of 2 years, and a school board that has shown that they have no interest in competitive athletics dictates what will happen to one of the greatest lacrosse programs. They already destroyed the girls program, and continue to do so; now they are after the boys program. Truly is a shame.

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
Back of THE CAGE Sponsors

#48396 - 11/24/13 10:39 AM Re: Shoreham Wading River [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Anonymous

Bob Vlahakis, the founder of the Face-Off Yearbook and Senior Editor at IL, shares his thoughts on Tom Rotanz, whose future at Shoreham-Wading River is in question after the school board and superintendent decided not to recommend him as head coach.

Almost 40 years ago, I began my relationship with the Shoreham-Wading River School District, as a teacher and as a coach. In New York State, school boards and superintendents set the tone for a community to function smoothly, or they make decisions that create tension that rips through the town. Believe me when I say I have seen it all over the years.

There were always battles to fight, things to stand up for whether it be curriculum, field trips, athletics, taxes, salaries. Some years went by without controversy; that’s when it seemed like our district was at the pinnacle. Then suddenly the board changed and every day the next year had an undercurrent of negativity, with things looking hopeless while crazy decisions were being made.

My son Jimmy pointed out years ago to us that he had four different superintendents during his four high school years. There was so much instability back then in the late 90s. It was ugly at times. In 2010, I totally retired from the school district, having been a participant in many of the struggles for four decades. Since then I have moved on to a calmer life, not letting the political overtones of the school board intrude into my daily life.

But now, suddenly, a new battle has exploded on the scene. The superintendent and board recently decided not to support the recommendation of Tom Rotanz to continue as the boy's lacrosse coach, a position he has held since 1995.

How can this be? It makes no sense. Chaos once again looms in the community. Very quickly, his players, parents, alumni and supporters have been immersed in another epic battle, fighting for what they believe in. People have come together. They care about something in common. And they are willing to publicly take a stand for it. The passion is incredible; it has taken over a community and galvanized it to new strengths.

This is awesome, especially in this age of political indifference. When emotions run high and the balance between what is reasonable and what is not reasonable reaches the boiling point, something has to give. The community is poised, ready to hear the final conclusion and waiting to see if there will be a rational or irrational conclusion. Will the school board do the right thing or will they follow in the footsteps of the US Congress and cause us all to shake our heads and wonder aloud what is wrong with the world?

Most people in SWR know Tom Rotanz because of all the success he has had on the field. Coaching at SWR he has won 10 Suffolk County Championships, five Long Island titles and three New York State Championships. Before that he was an amazing player in high school, learning under the legendary Joe Cuozzo at Ward Melville High, where he was an All-American and captain for the best lacrosse program in Suffolk County. He was also captain and won a National Championship while in Junior College at Suffolk Community College, then repeated the feat — captain and All-American at Adelphi while winning another National Championship. As recognition of his outstanding work at each level, he has been inducted into four different lacrosse Halls of Fame. Is this man qualified to coach lacrosse, or not?

My personal relationship with Tom Rotanz began the first day he stepped foot on the lacrosse fields at SWR in the spring of 1995. We coached together that season at the SWR Middle School. In one year’s time, Tom would take over the varsity program, which was then in its second year of existence, and he would begin his run of 19 consecutive years as the head coach.

He inherited a weak program with low numbers, but each year the team progressed in leaps and bounds. Two of my boys played lacrosse in those beginning years, so I have a deep sense of what Tom Rotanz meant to them — they played for him in the “grind it out” years, they stood beside him in the trenches laying down the foundation for others to follow, and they didn’t receive the kind of adulation that comes when there is a championship at the end. But the real purpose of athletics is not solely about winning championships. It is about pride and courage and work ethic and teamwork and overcoming obstacles and becoming the best person you can be.

In 1995, my son Jimmy’s team won two games for the entire season. Not many people remember or acknowledge that SWR Team. Tony Messina (goalie’s dad) and I picked up a cake and brought it over to Tom’s house after the first victory — his first win at the helm of SWR lacrosse, a 13-4 victory over Wyandanch, which after losses by 16-0 and 18-1 seemed like a miracle. We ate cake together and laughed, telling Tom to relax — that there would be many more victories coming soon. But when we left his house that night, Tony and I looked at each other nervously and thought, “There really will be more victories, right?”

Well, there was only one more victory that season, but by the year after, things started to turn around with eight victories, and then the first winning record, 9-7, in 1997. Finally, the breakthrough came. Jimmy captained the first playoff team in 1998 — and the first playoff win for the program.

Never again would a Rotanz team miss the playoffs. In 2000, Jimmy's younger brother Peter captained the first SWR team to play for a Suffolk County Championship, in an epic game against a Comsewogue team led by Kevin Casesse, who later battled against Peter into the MLL years. Tim Pearson was the other Comsewogue stud; little did we know he and Jimmy would attend West Point together and become starting attackmen for Army lacrosse.

The man behind both of my boys’ maturation and success was Tom Rotanz. Their high school memories are all about lacrosse, and the many lessons learned while struggling every day at the tough practices or competing in games with coach Rotanz as their mentor and leader. He pushed them beyond their limits, he egged them on in his own special way, he challenged them to be the best they could be. They endured and took away an approach to life that has made them both very successful and happy today.

My son Peter's own words: “What I took from coach Rotanz was a passion and love for the game of lacrosse. He taught you how to be a leader and play together. He put in so much extra time and showed us how to not only work hard, but to have fun while doing it.”

Jimmy sums up his thoughts: “I had the pleasure of being coached by Tom since he came to the district during my eighth grade year. Outside of my mom and dad, there was no one besides coach Rotanz who had a bigger impact on my development as a player and more importantly as a person as I grew from a 120-pound, scrawny, timid eighth grader to a two-time captain at SWR who would go on to play Division I lacrosse player at West Point and serve as a leader in the U.S. Army.

"I could go on and on about what he did for this program on the field in regards to putting this school on the map and winning championships. More important than that are the hundreds of kids he has helped along the way, myself included, by building them into men and future leaders through his on- and off-field mentorship and leadership. It is really frustrating to hear this news and all I can say is I am glad I got the chance to learn from Tom and am sorry that the rising kids in this community may be stripped of that opportunity.”

After my boys were done with high school lacrosse and moved on to college, I coached the SWR girls' high school team on the practice field adjacent to coach Rotanz and the boys' program. We saw each other every day, working hard to mold our teams. They were a great seven years together — and the culmination came in 2007 when we both won New York State Championships within two days of each other. As our bus pulled into the parking lot after the long trip home, we were greeted by hundreds of fans and signs, and the entire boys team — all orchestrated by Tom. He brought the whole community together to share in the joy of the moment. These are memories that will last a lifetime for the players and parents involved, and for me as a fellow coach. New superintendents and Boards of Education would lead more effectively if they took the time to learn about the relevant history of the community they serve.

The fate of Tom Rotanz now falls in the hands of a new superintendent and Board of Education. I have always told my players that how you respond to situations is what really matters. When the same event is experienced by more than one person, some people deal with it in a positive way and move on with their lives, but others dwell on it and let it ruin their lives. In the next few days, decisions will be made that will affect many people. I’m not sure what will happen to Tom now and I certainly wish that he can continue to pursue coaching these young men at SWR— something he does incredibly well. I do hope, though, that he understands just how much he has influenced, motivated and molded hundreds of young men to be the people they are today.

Over the years Tom Rotanz has accumulated a lifetime of wonderful memories — enough to keep him happy and content for the rest of his life. Amazing times lie ahead for him, no matter what happens now. And he has a whole lot of good friends and former players who will be there for him. I’m sure he is beginning to realize that is the real measure of success.

Tom Rotanz is meant to be a lacrosse coach, and he will be a lacrosse coach again. Whether it will be at SWR or not remains to be seen. Good people end up on their feet, and I know Tom Rotanz will soon be on the sidelines again with a smile on his face. And that’s a good thing we can all look forward to and be grateful for. Yes, there is a silver lining in every crisis, and this one is no different.

He deserves the best, and he can take comfort in the fact that he has a whole lot of people behind him, quietly and actively rooting for him to prevail.

Not involved in anyway in this controversy. Only experience I had with the guy was on the field this past season. He kept his starters (and son) in until the final moments of a near 20 goal blowout. Finally let his back-ups in with about 3 or 4 minutes left in the game. Just sharing my experience. Maybe he didn't like our team or Coach and wanted to really punish us???

#48400 - 11/24/13 11:13 AM Re: Shoreham Wading River [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any coach is the "best" if they are doing right by your child, but as you go deeper farther down the bench peoples opinion tend to be a bit different. For any coach that wins and helps get some kids into college they will surely have strong supporters but remember there is always the flip side - good boss for some bad boss for others and add teachers, administrators, coaches etc no one walks on water

#48401 - 11/24/13 11:19 AM Re: Shoreham Wading River [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any coach is the "best" if they are doing right by your child, but as you go deeper farther down the bench peoples opinion tend to be a bit different. For any coach that wins and helps get some kids into college they will surely have strong supporters but remember there is always the flip side - good boss for some bad boss for others and add teachers, administrators, coaches etc no one walks on water

Good point. It would be great to hear from some of the parents of those kids "farther down the bench", like you said. Don't know Tom, and I'm not involved in the program, but this is a really interesting situation...

#48407 - 11/24/13 12:05 PM Re: Shoreham Wading River [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good point. It would be great to hear from some of the parents of those kids "farther down the bench", like you said. Don't know Tom, and I'm not involved in the program, but this is a really interesting situation...

I'm also only observing from afar but I'd like to see the same level of outrage by the community and the academic community in general if a long time Math teacher was in the same boat. There's a reason why many CEOs, Preseidents of organizations including this great country, are asked to leave after mandated term limits or they've simply worn out their welcome. These safeguards are necessary because it's just human nature that some people in positions of power and influence for long periods of time eventually become too hard to work with, too inflexible in their drive to continue "winning" above all else - esecially if they've had a track record of success that they want to maintain for their legacy at any cost. Eventually, it becomes time for these leaders to just move on. Maybe this is just a case where he's stayed a bit too long in one place and its time for him to start anew and build a great program elsewhere. What's wrong with that?

#48408 - 11/24/13 12:09 PM Re: Shoreham Wading River [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's freezing here! Looks like too cold for the coaches as well. Not many on field 10 for the 9:00 game.
That's ok. Its just for fun to get some practice and for the HS coaches to see what they have to work with for the Spring. Enjoy.

#48411 - 11/24/13 12:25 PM Re: Shoreham Wading River [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm also only observing from afar but I'd like to see the same level of outrage by the community and the academic community in general if a long time Math teacher was in the same boat. There's a reason why many CEOs, Preseidents of organizations including this great country, are asked to leave after mandated term limits or they've simply worn out their welcome. These safeguards are necessary because it's just human nature that some people in positions of power and influence for long periods of time eventually become too hard to work with, too inflexible in their drive to continue "winning" above all else - esecially if they've had a track record of success that they want to maintain for their legacy at any cost. Eventually, it becomes time for these leaders to just move on. Maybe this is just a case where he's stayed a bit too long in one place and its time for him to start anew and build a great program elsewhere. What's wrong with that?

Thanks for posting Mr. School Board. You can't be serious?

#48418 - 11/24/13 01:47 PM Re: Shoreham Wading River [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why can't that guy be serious?

#48422 - 11/24/13 02:42 PM Re: Shoreham Wading River [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

In most walks of professional life very few people get to leave on their own terms. This is no different. Coaches and administrators have huge egos and I'm sure the clash of the egos has just reached a Breaking point. He's a competitive person by nature and that's why he's been successful. But his ego and competitive nature also makes it impossible for him to accept being told to leave on terms other than his own. I'm sure if some D1 program came along with an overwhelming money offer he would be fine leaving because it would be on his own terms. Being told to leave is a hard thing for anybody to accept but it is something we all face at sometime during our careers and sometimes multiple times. I'm sure there are dozens of other great high school and college programs who would love to have him. It will just take some soul searching for him to be able to break out of his comfort zone and away from his support base and decide that a new challenge is an opportunity to confirm his legacy and better than staying in a place that your bosses really don't want you to be. I think he should move on and prove to these administrators that they made a mistake when they see him build a great program elsewhere. He could be king in Texas, Colorado or California.

#48424 - 11/24/13 03:02 PM Re: Shoreham Wading River [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Every player on last years hill team is playing div I ,II
And all had many college choices from various coaches so maybe you not being impressed really doesn't matter in the end

I'm sure they're very good. Seems like some questions on age and PG's. I mean, it's not like they could sprinkle a few of the PG's in for some games against 16 and 17 yo LI kids, could they? Also a team like St Ant's has 18 D1 commits and probably that many D3's as well. Wouldn't crow about the D2's. Except for about 4 programs. Many D3 programs can run over D2 and play with lower end D1.

The only question about post-grads came from someone who wasn't aware there is a totally separate team for PGs. The PGs play college teams. The other teams are U18 and U16, and those mean just that.

#48425 - 11/24/13 03:11 PM Re: Shoreham Wading River [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe the board had this planned for a while, but let him stay until his son graduated. Seems obvious that the coach's son probably got way too much playing time at other kids' expense ... you don't get 400 points in a high school career without your coach's help (who also happens to be your dad). That must have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

#48426 - 11/24/13 03:30 PM Re: Shoreham Wading River [Re: tennesseejed]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any update on the Smithtown West player who got hurt during Massapequa game ? Because of the wind, someone put one of those metal lattice trash cans on the goal to keep it down. Well, player tried to jump over back of the goal while covering guy and forgot about the can. Supposedly, jagged piece was sticking out and snagged the Smithtown player who received a deep gash on his leg. Hopefully, no other damage and the injury doesn't hinder his playing.

#48427 - 11/24/13 03:32 PM Re: Shoreham Wading River [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone beat the Hill teams at SWR today?

#48428 - 11/24/13 03:38 PM Re: Shoreham Wading River [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

That "share the wealth" and "everyone is the same" socialist attitude is what has ruined this country and threatens to poison the minds of our kids. If you feel this way you should quit your job and give a recent grad a shot, you have been doing it long enough. Also donate most of your salary/retirement to someonewho needs it more than you.....right? The comment was quite ridiculous.

#48429 - 11/24/13 03:40 PM Re: Shoreham Wading River [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone beat the Hill teams at SWR today?

Go get your own room and talk Hill all you want....jeez

Page 13 of 152 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 151 152 >
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Tournaments & Showcases
Blatant Fall Jam
Fall Brawl
Fall Brawl Turkey Shootout
Fall Classic
Fall Bay Bash
K&J Showcase
Mayflower Tournament
Mrs. Claus Shootout
Mustang Lax Classic
Santa Jam
South Shore Thanksgiving
Stony Brook Univ.
Winter Leagues & Clinics
Blatant Defensive Clinic
Blatant League
DLT Fall Clinics
Fall Twilight League
LI Hub Election Day
NOTB Girls Box
Revolution/Globall Outdoor
Revolution/Globall Indoor
Rockstar League
UNC Clinic
Summer Leagues & Clinics
Summer Twilight League
2015 Tournaments
Andy Forsberg
Blatant Spring Jam
Hardings Tournaments
Headstrong Foundation
Heart Breaker Shootout
Hershey Shootout
LI Lax Fest
March Madness
MLK Lax Tournament
Sachem Shootout
Shamrock Shootout
Stony Brook Clash
Summer Sunset
BOTC Sponsors

Long Island Clubs (Boys)
All Greys
Ballistix
Be The Best
Blaze
Blue Sharks
Braves
E3 Lacrosse
Empire
Express
FLG Lacrosse
Gladiators
Havoc Dune Dawgs
Icon
Igloo
Lax Warriors
Legacy
Lizards Elite
LI Bengals
LI Hurricanes
LI Jesters
LI Revolution
LI Sharks
Millon Force
Next Level Lax
Outlaws
Pride
Rampage
Recon
Revolution
Rough Rider
Sting
Storm
Team 91
Team Long Island
Threshers
Thunder
Tomahawks
True Blue
Turf Island Oilers
Viper Lacrosse
516 Lacrosse
365 Lax
Who's Online
3 registered (Maniac, CJ Orlando, BlatantLacrosse), 445 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Useful Links
Connecticut USL Chapter
LI Metro LAX Foundation
New Jersey South Chapter
Nassau Coaches Assoc.
Nassau Lacrosse Officials
Nassau PAL Lacrosse
Nassau Women's Officials
Newsday Lacrosse
Section VIII Athletics
Section XI Athletics