BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 8 of 220 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 219 220
Re: Long Island Top Guns Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
well they are 13/14 after all thats teenagers
yeah that's a good excuse!! Top gun is supposed to be better than all that, than all those other clubs. Shouldn't the kids they already have on the team be better than that too?

I see it differently. I see the laughing and fooling around as complacency, as if they knew they were on the team and didn't really have to try. Actually as a bystander it looked that way too and having never seen them play before I was disappointed with the level I saw. Just an observation and opinion.

On the flip of that opinion, I witnessed a level of play that was extremely high, from the existing girls on the team and was very impressed with many of the new girls trying-out. Just an amazing amount of talent looking to get on board. Don't know how the politics of moving existing players around and/or bringing in new players will go, but we shall soon see. All I can say is that some of the teams were already very strong and all the new talent looking to join puts this club in a great position. Crossing my fingers my daughter makes it.

It would be helpful to know which grade/year

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
Results are out. Mine was in my spam bucket even though previous TG communications came to my inbox.

Results may be out for some age groups, certainly not all as try outs are still underway.
BOTC was led to believe that additional tryout sessions were still being considered into September.

I think today and Sat are last tryouts

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Don't forget attrition. Kids move on to other clubs or just quit lacrosse. Players don't neccessarily have to be cut to make room. That said, in a perfect world the most suited players would make the team, regardless of last year. This isn't a perfect world though. The 2010 roster is on the TG website. I suppose you could wait for the 2011 roster to be published and compare.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't forget attrition. Kids move on to other clubs or just quit lacrosse. Players don't neccessarily have to be cut to make room. That said, in a perfect world the most suited players would make the team, regardless of last year. This isn't a perfect world though. The 2010 roster is on the TG website. I suppose you could wait for the 2011 roster to be published and compare.

It doesnt look any different than last year except maybe they added one or two players

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

It doesnt look any different than last year except maybe they added one or two players

They haven't updated the rosters yet.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter tried out for the 2017 team. There were approximately 60+ girls at the tryout and the coaches seemed well organized and paying close attention. The try-outs lasted 2 hours and the girls worked hard the entire time. They seemed to be very fair and paid attention to all of the groups. I know that girls that were on the black team last year were moved to purple team this year. I think this organization did a great job, especially doing the try-outs early and outside allowing for better assessment of the girls.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter tried out for the 2017 team. There were approximately 60+ girls at the tryout and the coaches seemed well organized and paying close attention. The try-outs lasted 2 hours and the girls worked hard the entire time. They seemed to be very fair and paid attention to all of the groups. I know that girls that were on the black team last year were moved to purple team this year. I think this organization did a great job, especially doing the try-outs early and outside allowing for better assessment of the girls.

2017 is pretty young. teams will change over the next few years so it may be more important to them to try to get the best ones hooked now.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
For those who followed the Top Guns summer camps or coaching action, the following press release will be very heartwarming information - particularly after the U/15 national championships.

NU's Smith WSF Sportswoman of the Year Finalist

EVANSTON, Ill. -- Rising Northwestern lacrosse senior Shannon Smith (West Babylon, N.Y./West Babylon) has been selected by the Women's Sports Foundation as one of 10 female candidates from all sports and from around the globe for the organization's Sportswoman of the Year honor.

Each year, the Women's Sports Foundation -- founded in 1974 by tennis legend Billie Jean King -- recognizes an individual sport athlete and team sport athlete whose performances over a 12-month time span have been exceptional. Past winners include Venus and Serena Williams, Nastia Liukin, Jessica Mendoza and Jackie Joyner-Kersee.

For the first time, voting for the award is being conducted partially through an online vote hosted by Facebook. To cast a vote for Smith, fans can visit Facebook.com/WomensSportsFoundation, browse the photo albums for Team Sport Athlete finalists and simply "like" the photo of their choice. Fans are permitted one vote in each album, team and individual. Those who do not utilize Facebook can review nominees' bios at www.WomensSportsFoundation.org and e-mail with their votes.

Winners will be determined by a combination of the public vote (50 percent) and the Women's Sports Foundation's Awards Committee's vote (50 percent). The winners will be the two athletes -- one individual finalist and one team finalist -- who receive the highest combined share of the public vote and the Awards Committee's vote.

The top three finalists in each of the categories will be invited to attend the Annual Salute to Women in Sports Awards Gala, where the Sportswoman of the Year Award recipients will be announced and honored.

Among the nominees in Smith's team sport category are USA women's soccer standout Abby Wambach and WNBA superstar Maya Moore, along with: Luciana Aymar (Argentina, field hockey), Annika Dries (USA, water polo), Meghan Duggan (USA, ice hockey), Juliana Felisberta/Larissa Franca (Brazil, beach volleyball), Sandra Kiriasis (Germany, bobsled), Anette Norberg (Sweden, curling) and Stacy Sykora (USA, volleyball).

After leading Division I women's lacrosse in points from wire to wire in the regular season, Smith raised her game to another level in the postseason as she willed Northwestern to a seventh-straight ALC championship and eventually its sixth NCAA championship in seven years. She scored at least four goals in all six postseason games for NU -- including five in each of the first four -- and came up with the game-winning goals in an 11-10 semifinal win over North Carolina as well as in a thrilling 8-7 victory over No. 1 Maryland for the national title.

Her 18 goals during the NCAA tournament -- second-most all-time for one player in the national tournament -- netted her NCAA Championship MVP honors and allowed her to break the Northwestern single-season goals record with 86. Her 128 points on the year rank as the second-best total ever by a Wildcat and seventh-best in Division I women's lacrosse history.

Winner of the Tewaaraton Award and Lacrosse Honda Sports Award, Smith also took home the Suzy Favor Award as Big Ten Female Athlete of the Year for 2010-11.

The Women's Sports Foundation is dedicated to advancing the lives of girls and women through sports and physical activity, providing scholarships and grants to aspiring athletes. The group funds groundbreaking research and public awareness campaigns, organizing programs in cities across the country.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Did your daughter tell you she was told to sub herself in? There was definitely a plan and the subbing was obviously well thought out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Jennifer
Did your daughter tell you she was told to sub herself in? There was definitely a plan and the subbing was obviously well thought out.

There did seem to be a plan at tryout for the select. My daughter was told "sub yourselves in" they were not given positions, girls took the ones they wanted. The current TG girls marked each other and the new girls were left. My daughter has a friend who had the same experience.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with you but I have another comment. I don't know where you were at the 2017 tryout but it was very obvious to me and the group I was with that the existing team members with the purple on were definitely being played while other kids were "subs". Almost like they knew where their starters were going to be and wanted to see how the kids would measure up. I am new to travel so I don't know if this is "normal" for a tryout. My daughter played for a travel program last year but was asked to participate. I am glad they are taking two teams so that many will have an opportunity to play for Top Guns. I hear good things about them!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Telling girls that age to sub themselves in during a try-out is ridiculous and makes it seem like they may not have had enough help at the try-out. Having the new girls play against the previous years girls is not that uncommon but they should also get a chance to mix things up.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If one is truly evaluating, you will not leave it up to kids to sub themselves in, telling the subs to do it themselves at this age tells me that they weren't even evaluating the new ones. If one has experience coaching/working with this age group, knowing new kids will not be assertive you are leaving the entire tryouts a waste of time for these kids. You would know having enough to evaluate is not the problem, a seasoned coach/evaluator can handle it easily.
We were at one of the "Crooked Arrow" auditions for kids and they did a better job evaluating 70 kids per age group.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I went to try outs for two age groups and girls were not left to sub themselves in. The scrimmages were definately divided into groups based upon skill level determined by the skill drills leading into the scrimmage. Girls on the bubble appeared to be pitted in and with existing team members. My daughter was put in a scrimmage obviously playing for a spot on the b team, being honest with myself, that's where she belonged, and I'm glad to let her play there, develope and try to move up over the next year or two. Some parents seemed to be beside themselves that their daughters were not scrimmaging in the group which was obviously the A team. Just for feedback purposes I felt the tryout for the teams I saw were extremely well run and fair,they did a good job placing the talent levels in the scrimmages.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Telling girls that age to sub themselves in during a try-out is ridiculous and makes it seem like they may not have had enough help at the try-out. Having the new girls play against the previous years girls is not that uncommon but they should also get a chance to mix things up.

One evluation model often used at try outs uses existing players as known quantities, a baseline so to speak. It sounds funny but a girl with exceptional skills and abilities may get early looks from the evaluators where the descision to put her on the team gets made early. They may then spend more time concetrating on other players that need a closer look. Of course the opposite is true too, where players that are not going to make the teams become apparent early and get set aside. Unfortunately some kids who don't have the lacrosse skills,usually newer players, sometimes are just good atheletes and just may get pushed aside. Also some kids are gamers, where they just light up under real game conditions, this is hard to judge at try outs and is why viewing a player under real game conditions is best. Not and option in this case.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I went to try outs for two age groups and girls were not left to sub themselves in. The scrimmages were definately divided into groups based upon skill level determined by the skill drills leading into the scrimmage. Girls on the bubble appeared to be pitted in and with existing team members. My daughter was put in a scrimmage obviously playing for a spot on the b team, being honest with myself, that's where she belonged, and I'm glad to let her play there, develope and try to move up over the next year or two. Some parents seemed to be beside themselves that their daughters were not scrimmaging in the group which was obviously the A team. Just for feedback purposes I felt the tryout for the teams I saw were extremely well run and fair,they did a good job placing the talent levels in the scrimmages.

Absolutely wrong. When my daughter checked in she was given a team number which was used to set up teams for scrimmaging. It had nothing to do with the station work.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One evluation model often used at try outs uses existing players as known quantities, a baseline so to speak. It sounds funny but a girl with exceptional skills and abilities may get early looks from the evaluators where the descision to put her on the team gets made early. They may then spend more time concetrating on other players that need a closer look. Of course the opposite is true too, where players that are not going to make the teams become apparent early and get set aside. Unfortunately some kids who don't have the lacrosse skills,usually newer players, sometimes are just good atheletes and just may get pushed aside. Also some kids are gamers, where they just light up under real game conditions, this is hard to judge at try outs and is why viewing a player under real game conditions is best. Not and option in this case.

I agree, if you start out bad you may not get another look. I can only speak for my daughter. She has played on a top club for 3 summers. There she plays on the 2nd of 4 teams. I watched only the shuttles. She did miss a pass, one that was 4 feet above her head. She said she did well in the stations, at least as good as others but then was told to sub herself in during the scrimmage an got 5 minutes of play which I did see. She marked a girl who never went to goal, never received a pass so she maybe didn't look so good. The current players only passed to themselves. It really is no big deal. I see it as their loss but think people should know how this club set up a nice fundraiser for themselves.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what about girls that arent even of age yet playing? I mean if they don't have a team for your age group, just wait until you're old enough. One team had a third grader playing on a fifth grade team last year. Really? why take the spot away from a fifth grader to give to a third grader. I don't care how good the kid is.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Absolutely wrong. When my daughter checked in she was given a team number which was used to set up teams for scrimmaging. It had nothing to do with the station work.

A jersey number, team and station were given to the girls upon check in. This was soley for seting them up through the stations for evaluation. If you noticed at the begining of the scrimmage all girls were called to center field and individually sent to a scrimmage team, which was absolutely decided from the station play. Either that or they have esp because the talent level difference between the two different scrimmages was drastic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what about girls that arent even of age yet playing? I mean if they don't have a team for your age group, just wait until you're old enough. One team had a third grader playing on a fifth grade team last year. Really? why take the spot away from a fifth grader to give to a third grader. I don't care how good the kid is.

Good for her!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Heard they moved and cut girls who playrd for them last year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Real classy......Nice job singling out this girl. When you post anonymous you should keep other people anonymous too.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My daughter was in the scrimmage on the main field and they werectold to sub themselves in

A jersey number, team and station were given to the girls upon check in. This was soley for seting them up through the stations for evaluation. If you noticed at the begining of the scrimmage all girls were called to center field and individually sent to a scrimmage team, which was absolutely decided from the station play. Either that or they have esp because the talent level difference between the two different scrimmages was drastic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My daughter was in the scrimmage on the main field and they werectold to sub themselves in

How could you tell there was a difference the fields were so far apart. Did you walk around in the pouring rain and watch?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There is no harm in trying out. If a fifth grader gets cut because a third grader is better then so be it. That third grader probably is exceptional and they want her to continue with this program rather that make another club (which she would) and possibly lose her.

On another note...it seems that the 2019 team has two teams this year and no one was cut. Looks like the Purple team may have alot of underage kids. Are they good enough or are they just filling out a roster? If my fifth grader was assigned to the purple team, I'd definitely want to find out the makeup of the team and decide if it is worth it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How could you tell there was a difference the fields were so far apart. Did you walk around in the pouring rain and watch?

Problem here is everyone is talking about different try-outs. Let's not forget there were like seven or so different age groups and I'm sure all were set-up and handled differently.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know if the emails went out yet for all the tryout results?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, I believe all were sent out to those who made teams except those who tried out yesterday.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I guess we'll have to disagree on the age topic. And if they're worried about losing a third grader, how about losing the fifth grader whose self esteem takes a nose dive because a third grader takes her spot on the team. And I know there are 2020 girls on the new 2019 teams, again, what's the rush with these parents? Except to just constantly tell us all that their girls play up because they're just that good. I have high schoolers and what these parents don't understand is that eventually most girls that were shining starts as third graders usually just blend in with the rest as they get older, and those are usually the parents that complain to the varsity coach when they're kid isnt brought up as a 7th grader or 8th grader.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

what about girls that arent even of age yet playing? I mean if they don't have a team for your age group, just wait until you're old enough. One team had a third grader playing on a fifth grade team last year. Really? why take the spot away from a fifth grader to give to a third grader. I don't care how good the kid is
The child you are talking about has older sisters that play on TG teams so playing for other organizations would make it difficult to get the kid to the different tournaments.If she is good enough to make the team so be it.I also believe the child was the age of a 4th grader so really only playing up 1 year which is fairly common.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what are you talking about...class? There are people on this board looking for information about the program, I wasn't singling out anyone...just stating a fact. That fact being that even if your child is trying out for her grade level there are situations where there are younger girls on the team. And that was the only team I had heard of that had a younger girls, maybe they have that in the older grades also.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My understanding as a parent of a TG 2017 player is that the Purple team is new and yes, a handful of Black players will be moved to purple as there were a few very talented new players at the tryout who will be selected for Black. The Purple team should be strong as well, there were no weak players last year. Bottom line- keep your daughters involved in sports year round as they are approaching a very impressionable age. Good luck to all of the girls!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How do you know?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There is no harm in trying out. If a fifth grader gets cut because a third grader is better then so be it. That third grader probably is exceptional and they want her to continue with this program rather that make another club (which she would) and possibly lose her.

On another note...it seems that the 2019 team has two teams this year and no one was cut. Looks like the Purple team may have alot of underage kids. Are they good enough or are they just filling out a roster? If my fifth grader was assigned to the purple team, I'd definitely want to find out the makeup of the team and decide if it is worth it.

I agree with you 100%. if the third grader has the talent to be on the team, why on earth would you not let her??? If the fifth grader wasn't as good as the third grader, too bad, why would you choose her over the third grader??? Playing up is great for the developement of these kids, why waste your kids talent if she is playing at a level way beyond her age.
As for the 2019 underage roster. It isn't posted yet. Do you have inside knowledge of mass quantities of underaged kids? I know from tournament experience that many clubs and teams put together rosters with girls all the way down to kindergarden in the early age brackets. While I agree that is ridiculus, I think that reaching down a year or two and picking up a very talented third or forth grader is perfectly acceptable.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

what about girls that arent even of age yet playing? I mean if they don't have a team for your age group, just wait until you're old enough. One team had a third grader playing on a fifth grade team last year. Really? why take the spot away from a fifth grader to give to a third grader. I don't care how good the kid is
The child you are talking about has older sisters that play on TG teams so playing for other organizations would make it difficult to get the kid to the different tournaments.If she is good enough to make the team so be it.I also believe the child was the age of a 4th grader so really only playing up 1 year

which is fairly common.

Sounds like politics to me

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
As a parent of a 2019 player and whose daughter attended her first tryout for a travel lax team, I was very impressed by the way the try out was run. When it came time to to scrimmage, Coach Levy blew the whistle at regular intervals and the other coaches managed the subs. My personal feeling is that, at the tryout I attended, the decision for placemnt for most girls was made at the stations and the scrimmage was for the bubble girls.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
can't wait to see the rosters, nonE are on sight! Anyone know when we will get this information?Also, do they play winter lax> If so where? MY niece will be playing, not sure where in West babylon the team turns out of? Way to go Billy, looks like you have your hands full. I'll be WITH the old silverhared guy with the red cups..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
my point is why a parent would even have their third grader or whatever age the child is try out? If it's a 2015 team, if you're daughter is a 2018 child, why are you having your daughter try out for the team. It's youth lacrosse...these are the same caliber of parents that insist their child is too good to play with their age level so they have to play one or two grades up. Oh, and the challenging issue...please. You realize we're talking about eight year olds. If they're THAT good that they can't be challenged by their peers, have your superstar put the stick in her weaker hand. What happens when the older team she played for for years ages out, then what, she just hops down to the team she should have been playing for all along? and takes a spot from that team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by laxdad
As a parent of a 2019 player and whose daughter attended her first tryout for a travel lax team, I was very impressed by the way the try out was run. When it came time to to scrimmage, Coach Levy blew the whistle at regular intervals and the other coaches managed the subs. My personal feeling is that, at the tryout I attended, the decision for placemnt for most girls was made at the stations and the scrimmage was for the bubble girls.

Go to a Yellow Jacket tryout. You will be amazed at the level of talent.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The girl you keep talking about was on the youngest level TG team .As stated previously she has sisters that play on older teams making the choice to play for a TG team easy.In your opinion she should just sit at those tournaments and watch her sisters play even thou she is talented enough to play .You seem to be the type of parent that gets jealous anytime a child of exceptional ability shows you your own childs limitations.Must make you angry when some kid starts ahead of your own child.Stop worrying about everyone else and worry about your own kids.

Like Reply Quote
Page 8 of 220 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 219 220
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard