BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,610
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 48 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 47 48
Re: Boys 2025 - 5th Grade Fall 2017/Summer 2018
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
So let's all simply agree that an actual 6th grade kid (2024) playing 5th grade lacrosse (2025) on Long Island is cheating.

I think it depends on their birthday. The US Lacrosse cutoff is 9/1. I have a child born early September that could, according to US Lacrosse, play the grade below. I personally wouldn't consider it because it's better to challenged in my opinion, but I wouldn't consider it cheating either because of the USL cutoff.

I agree a 6th grader that falls in the birth guidelines is fine with me. That way it's clear. Aug 31st and it's a different case.

The USL cutoffs are for an age-based system. You can't pick and choose to use age-based criteria in a grade-based system or vice versa. That's rediculous!

I an fine with it, meaning if the rules stated it. Clearly playing grade is one thing, grade. This merged approach we are discussing is new. But I have no problem with it, if tourneys adopted it.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
.[/quote]

The rules are... there are no rules!!! Talk all you want but until there is one consistent system it's gamesmanship and clubs one-upping each other and it will just continue into perpetuity.
[/quote]

You're kind of making the point that it is one big game of who can cheat more. The rules are an honor system, which is why they can be broken. Most people have some sense of right and wrong which is why most have their kids play on grade, which although not formally written is fairly intuitive and obvious - you're kid is either in a given grade or they're not; playing up is fine, playing down is cheating. Those parents having their boy play down have lower morals, and they know it's wrong, which is why they don't generally advertise it. Holdbacks are a whole other problem, and technically within the rules, but the practice is questionable, if not downright wrong, which is why EVERY OTHER MAJOR YOUTH SPORT has gone age-based.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A kid may move here from out of state, kids are held back for learning or social issues. I understand this. However what does this have to do with playing sports. How does a kid because he may have trouble reading entitle that kid to now play sports with younger kids. When kids are the same age, that's what makes sports fair. I agree with having an age cutoff date. Whatever that date would be, I wish it would be followed. US lacrosse and now with WSYL becoming more popular I think in the near future this grade based lacrosse may fade away.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone hear from 9D1 since tryouts ended?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A kid may move here from out of state, kids are held back for learning or social issues. I understand this. However what does this have to do with playing sports. How does a kid because he may have trouble reading entitle that kid to now play sports with younger kids. When kids are the same age, that's what makes sports fair. I agree with having an age cutoff date. Whatever that date would be, I wish it would be followed. US lacrosse and now with WSYL becoming more popular I think in the near future this grade based lacrosse may fade away.

This debate has raging for a long time and every club on LI has concluded or is the middle of tryouts. Yet nothing changes. Hence, there is no change coming. So let me attempt to be productive.

Whats the solution that everyone seems to want. Even the announcers on the WSYL advocated for change. Maybe a group that has no financial stake can help enact change. PAL Lacrosse should review and consider an age based system and adopt US lacrosse guidelines. Shouldn't PAL be an advocate of safety and fairness? I think that is a productive way to get something going towards an age based system. "US Lacrosse establishes eligibility guidelines to promote a safe and sportsmanlike environment. US Lacrosse believes that leagues, associations, and other organizers of youth lacrosse should provide playing opportunities that, as much as possible, aim to establish a "level playing field" among players of similar age."(https://www.uslacrosse.org/rules/age-eligibility-guidelines) In my humble opinion, if PAL was the willing to frustrate the "status quo" they would open some eyes and this could pave the way to ending the unending debate.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard the WI daddy coach is trying to infiltrate the geese watch out!

Of course he is.

This should surprise no one. He'll be coaching by October.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nothing... Even though they said you'll hear within 48 hours.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shore 2 Shore offers started. My son accepted a spot. Talent was better than I expected at tryouts, but below other top teams. Probably a good place to look for those who don't make other top teams or are on bottom of those rosters. Coaches were great at tryouts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shore 2 Shore offers started. My son accepted a spot. Talent was better than I expected at tryouts, but below other top teams. Probably a good place to look for those who don't make other top teams or are on bottom of those rosters. Coaches were great at tryouts.

The 2024 team will be solid. Lots of good kids moving over.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The 2024 team will be solid. Lots of good kids moving over.

Who would move over to a club their first year? Not very smart.
Pay thousands of dollars and have no clue what you are getting?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Of course he is.

And causing chaos and disruption by November.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did anyone attending the Duke's Nationals 2025 Tryout at Hofstra?? They have another tryout coming up at UPenn on September 9th. I heard that they are a really good team. Any productive info would be great. Thanks!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Of course he is.

Half the team will leave if that happens.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2025 Coach will be fine when he is there, unfortunately he will miss a lot if his past record holds. Then when he is there, you will have to put up with the friends and family first plan.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Of course he is.

Half the team will leave if that happens.

Which WI Daddy coach are we talking about? And which team on legacy is he going to? Geese? And is he infiltrating as a coach?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did anyone attending the Duke's Nationals 2025 Tryout at Hofstra?? They have another tryout coming up at UPenn on September 9th. I heard that they are a really good team. Any productive info would be great. Thanks!

They had a few really good players. Coach seemed like a nice guy. I couldn't say how good he is or isn't. I think they're more targeting underserved areas that don't have well-run clubs for kids to play in. We didn't accept the invite because I'm concerned it will conflict with our main club team. They use a depth chart system where attendance is a key factor (makes sense) but if you can't make the practices because of your main club, I assume your kid won't be playing so why do it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They had a few really good players. Coach seemed like a nice guy. I couldn't say how good he is or isn't. I think they're more targeting underserved areas that don't have well-run clubs for kids to play in. We didn't accept the invite because I'm concerned it will conflict with our main club team. They use a depth chart system where attendance is a key factor (makes sense) but if you can't make the practices because of your main club, I assume your kid won't be playing so why do it.

What does targeting underserved areas have anything to do with an elite lacrosse team?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Going to the geese.team was the best last year.very well could be mediocre this year.daddy ball and politics has already started

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What does targeting underserved areas have anything to do with an elite lacrosse team?

If they go where the area is underserved, then they can lock in kids that have less local club options to choose from. That's what it has to do with "elite" lacrosse.

And by the way, the invited kids from the tryout at Hofstra on that Saturday blew the doors off Express the next day at Cedar Creek.

Problem with Dukes is that every single event that they have is off the Island. It's hard to justify an overnight trip to go to a practice. Even if that practice is at Hopkins, Rutgers or UVA.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Going to the geese.team was the best last year.very well could be mediocre this year.daddy ball and politics has already started

Mama Goose is laying eggs over there hoping her golden chicken still has a team to play on. Not looking good at this point.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If they go where the area is underserved, then they can lock in kids that have less local club options to choose from. That's what it has to do with "elite" lacrosse.

And by the way, the invited kids from the tryout at Hofstra on that Saturday blew the doors off Express the next day at Cedar Creek.

Problem with Dukes is that every single event that they have is off the Island. It's hard to justify an overnight trip to go to a practice. Even if that practice is at Hopkins, Rutgers or UVA.

Dukes is not for everyone!! Either you want to give your kid the experience or not.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Beating up on B Teams does not make you the Best team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Beating up on B Teams does not make you the Best team.

Geese is an A team

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard geese have not posted anything because their top players have not committed yet and legacy is scrambling. Their B team blue devils already have there team and start practice on Monday. Oh boy the end is near.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nothing... Even though they said you'll hear within 48 hours.

Does 9D1 send emails first and then post roster online. Or do they post roster online first and then send emails?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rumors!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rumors!!

I agree. Ridiculous rumors.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rumors!!

I agree. Ridiculous rumors.

Rumors eventually turn into the truth.watch as it crumbles.all about business not about getting better. The almighty $$$ will decide their future

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard geese have not posted anything because their top players have not committed yet and legacy is scrambling. Their B team blue devils already have there team and start practice on Monday. Oh boy the end is near.

Practice Monday? Little soon. System doesnt work. Legacy will burn these kids out in no time. Blue Devils shooting for best B team. Something to strive for. Best in [lacrosse] division

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Practice Monday? Little soon. System doesnt work. Legacy will burn these kids out in no time. Blue Devils shooting for best B team. Something to strive for. Best in [lacrosse] division

Wow!!! There are just no words for you! Sad!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In past years, 9D1 posts their roster. Nothing has been posted yet.
I think the coaches are taking their time with these decisions because they want to get it right. Good luck to everyone.82xa

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Legacy posted

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Legacy posted

24 kids=more $$$$$
Limited playing time to keep the consumer happy.
Lots of politics and daddy ball

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In past years, 9D1 posts their roster. Nothing has been posted yet.
I think the coaches are taking their time with these decisions because they want to get it right. Good luck to everyone.82xa

Thanks. Same to you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many kids do most teams roster? Any feedback from actual team parents?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Legacy posted

24 kids=more $$$$$
Limited playing time to keep the consumer happy.
Lots of politics and daddy ball

So you start by saying they don't have enough kids and are scrambling. Now you say they have too many kids and are only after $$. Can you make up your mind?
And what team are you playing for?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A good roster is around 23 kids. Two solid lines plus an extra midi line. But don't go by rosters after tryouts. Depending on the team they may have more on roster with the assumption not all are accepting.
Plus some teams pick up additional kids as the season progresses. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Good coaches will tell you up front or if you ask them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just remember that in crunch time and championship games, only 15/16 or maybe 17 will be playing. That's if your trying to win. If it's a we all get a medal for trying team, maybe kid 21/22 plays.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A good roster is around 23 kids. Two solid lines plus an extra midi line. But don't go by rosters after tryouts. Depending on the team they may have more on roster with the assumption not all are accepting.
Plus some teams pick up additional kids as the season progresses. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Good coaches will tell you up front or if you ask them.

23 is still way to much. 20 is ideal. Geese have 25 after promising 20-22. Another bait and switch by Legacy. And you guys thought the infighting was bad last year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

23 is still way to much. 20 is ideal. Geese have 25 after promising 20-22. Another bait and switch by Legacy. And you guys thought the infighting was bad last year.

If you go with 3 groups of mids, 5 D and 5 A, 2 Gs (and 1 LPM if you can't use one of your D for that), you are at either 21 or 22 - no more! Any travel team carrying more than that is just setting up kids for no time on the field and no real benefit to the team either, other than those extra kids subsidizing the other players and the director's pockets! Fact!

Page 8 of 48 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 47 48

Link Copied to Clipboard