BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,546
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 60 of 144 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 143 144
Re: Long Island Express Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Let me throw this question out there...This kid was ranked the #7 recruit in the country in his class by Inside Lacrosse and was the only Long Island player listed in the Top 25. Was this recognition based more on his high school or club experience?
Ranking had nothing to do with where this boy wound up - in fact probably the other way around - knowing that Duke was one of several in the picture helped his ranking. Most of these boys on the list were already committed (announced or not yet announced) to top tier programs before the list even came out which leads me to believe the joker who puts the list together is just following where the commitments have been or where they are expected to be. All about page views from you lemmings who love to follow that crap. Rankings are probably the worst thinkg that could have happened to this sport - both high school teams and individual players.

You having to be joking about the ranking thing!!! Do you honestly think these kids announce to the world whose interested in them???
Absolutley they do. Read the article that went along with the rankings. If the kid had not committed there was usually some blurb about which schools are still in the running for the kid's "services". Think the parents or coaches didn't plant that seed?

Obviously this is new to you. Kids don't go around saying who they have offers from BEFORE they accept - only after - hence the article you're referring to.

You people are crazy!! These rankings do matter.....a lot!! Whether you want to believe it or not. I'll tell you one thing, Express had much to do with his #7. Other express players not as deserving also made list do to connections. All kids on list play either for top clubs or private or both. That's how it works. Authentic? not 100% I'm sure there are many other great players out there that are not on the "list" that should be. There are other long island players that got there by their talent and not club coach pushing. Life is not fair so pay up the $$$ like you do for a good lawyer or take what you get. And as for your comment about schools (Colleges) interested, the schools are interested in the kid because of what they observed, nothing else. It's just that well connected club coaches set up the best opportunities for the kids to be noticed.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let me throw this question out there...This kid was ranked the #7 recruit in the country in his class by Inside Lacrosse and was the only Long Island player listed in the Top 25. Was this recognition based more on his high school or club experience?
Ranking had nothing to do with where this boy wound up - in fact probably the other way around - knowing that Duke was one of several in the picture helped his ranking. Most of these boys on the list were already committed (announced or not yet announced) to top tier programs before the list even came out which leads me to believe the joker who puts the list together is just following where the commitments have been or where they are expected to be. All about page views from you lemmings who love to follow that crap. Rankings are probably the worst thinkg that could have happened to this sport - both high school teams and individual players.

You having to be joking about the ranking thing!!! Do you honestly think these kids announce to the world whose interested in them???
Absolutley they do. Read the article that went along with the rankings. If the kid had not committed there was usually some blurb about which schools are still in the running for the kid's "services". Think the parents or coaches didn't plant that seed?

Obviously this is new to you. Kids don't go around saying who they have offers from BEFORE they accept - only after - hence the article you're referring to.

The "Joker" Ty Xanders is one of the most watched commentators in HS lax. Everyone cares what he says. He is at every recruiting venue evaluating players. If you didn't make the list, stop crying

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interesting how this board (more broadly speaking - not just this Express thread) is mostly centered around club lax and other forums seem to have very few discussions about the club scene and are mostly focused on college and high school teams/issues. No point - just an observation. Both are good sources of info/perspective.

Does Top include up to the top 254 (Set) ? And you think you are in the same League as WM 1? Ha

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good points raised by both sides but in the final analysis we can all agree the kid would have been recruited by the top tier D1 schools regardless of where he played. His talent speaks for itself.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The "Joker" Ty Xanders is one of the most watched commentators in HS lax. Everyone cares what he says. He is at every recruiting venue evaluating players. If you didn't make the list, stop crying

Not physically possible. The year before I don't think any 2015 express players made it and that team was much better than the cudas.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The animosity toward these lists is not who is on but who's left off because he doesn't see or talk to everybody and puts way too much faith and spends way too much time on the phone with just a small sample of self serving club owners. It's a seriously flawed process and many better D1 caliber kids have been overlooked over the years. It's really unnecessary unless you're trying to sell online ads.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good points raised by both sides but in the final analysis we can all agree the kid would have been recruited by the top tier D1 schools regardless of where he played. His talent speaks for itself.

In the final analysis, Express helped this boy develop. Both the HS/Town and the club played a role in this kid becoming the player that he is.

To those that "Hate the Clubs", don't have your kid play for them.

I have never heard the parent of a boy who plays for a Club demand that parents of other kids have their kids play for a club as well. I also have not seen any parent tell their child not to play for their HS Team.

To limit a players experience is to hinder that players development. To attempt to impose a restriction on a player is not only wrong, it is selfish.

It is comical to watch and listen to all of the club haters carry on about all of this. Give it a rest. The kid played for both Express and his HS Team. Get over it. If you do not want to have your kid play for a club you do not have to. Stop with the BS, It helped this kid, it has helped others and it will help more in the future.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interesting how this board (more broadly speaking - not just this Express thread) is mostly centered around club lax and other forums seem to have very few discussions about the club scene and are mostly focused on college and high school teams/issues. No point - just an observation. Both are good sources of info/perspective.

Does Top include up to the top 254 (Set) ? And you think you are in the same League as WM 1? Ha

No, (Set) is not in the same league as # 1 WM. I don't think Set had any Ringers. The #1 should have an asterisk next to it. Ha

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not physically possible. The year before I don't think any 2015 express players made it and that team was much better than the cudas. [/quote] Because MC was not in charge of that team and the person who was did not play the list game. Terrible disservice to maybe the most accomplished and most talented TEAM that the Express has ever had.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The animosity toward these lists is not who is on but who's left off because he doesn't see or talk to everybody and puts way too much faith and spends way too much time on the phone with just a small sample of self serving club owners. It's a seriously flawed process and many better D1 caliber kids have been overlooked over the years. It's really unnecessary unless you're trying to sell online ads.

What I love about these lists is the mia culpa egg-on-face of the list maker everytime he finds out about a Duke, UNC, UVA etc. committment by a kid that never hit his radar. That does nothing but take big chunks out of the credibility of his list and process. Very Sweet for those families.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What I love about these lists is the mia culpa egg-on-face of the list maker everytime he finds out about a Duke, UNC, UVA etc. committment by a kid that never hit his radar. That does nothing but take big chunks out of the credibility of his list and process. Very Sweet for those families.

If my kid committed to a top 5 lax program and wasn't on his list I wouldn't even tell the list maker - kind of a silient protest and the satisfaction of knowing his database is kept incomplete.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

you make no sense! There are 60 kids on top Spphomore list, most well deserved. Most either committed or soon to be. News Flash: That's part of the reason they are on the list! They have been identified by numerous evaluators as the best in their grade. Of couse there are many other great players in the grade not on list , because they only honor 60! Just because a kid commits to Duke or UNC does not mean they belong in the top 60. For example, assuming the top 10 programs take 12 kids each per grade level, obviously some will not be top 60. We all also know that many kids never see the field much regardless of where they commit. Only time will tell if kids on list continue to be stand out players. I personally think the number 60 is too small. At the very least there should be 100 ranked kids by this age.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In the final analysis, Express helped this boy develop. Both the HS/Town and the club played a role in this kid becoming the player that he is.

I have never heard the parent of a boy who plays for a Club demand that parents of other kids have their kids play for a club as well. I also have not seen any parent tell their child not to play for their HS Team.

To limit a players experience is to hinder that players development. To attempt to impose a restriction on a player is not only wrong, it is selfish.

It is comical to watch and listen to all of the club haters carry on about all of this. Give it a rest. The kid played for both Express and his HS Team. Get over it. If you do not want to have your kid play for a club you do not have to. Stop with the BS, It helped this kid, it has helped others and it will help more in the future.

Why didn't this kid (or the kids' parents) want to play with his HS buddies with Cherry's Summer team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One suggestion I'd have for the list maker is to do away with teh enational list - nobody can do this with credibility - it's just too big of a universe to digest. What he should do instead is get regional lists of 25-50 that would capture alot of the talent he currently misses. more page views too!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One suggestion I'd have for the list maker is to do away with teh enational list - nobody can do this with credibility - it's just too big of a universe to digest. What he should do instead is get regional lists of 25-50 that would capture alot of the talent he currently misses. more page views too!

This source does a much better job covering the various regions than the list maker at IL. http://www.studentsports.com/lacrosse/

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

you make no sense! There are 60 kids on top Spphomore list, most well deserved. Most either committed or soon to be. News Flash: That's part of the reason they are on the list! They have been identified by numerous evaluators as the best in their grade. Of couse there are many other great players in the grade not on list , because they only honor 60! Just because a kid commits to Duke or UNC does not mean they belong in the top 60. For example, assuming the top 10 programs take 12 kids each per grade level, obviously some will not be top 60. We all also know that many kids never see the field much regardless of where they commit. Only time will tell if kids on list continue to be stand out players. I personally think the number 60 is too small. At the very least there should be 100 ranked kids by this age.
I hardly think it's "numerous evaluators". It's like two guys talking to a a couple of clubs. Joke.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I hardly think it's "numerous evaluators". It's like two guys talking to a a couple of clubs. Joke.

Not true!, maybe your upset because your kid didn't make the list? List is good, not long enough, but most kids on deserve to be there and have the stats to back up their selection. They do favor the prep schools, but then again, so do the top colleges! If you watch the list evolve over the next few years, you will see that these are the kids for the most part that will be starters in college.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not true!, maybe your upset because your kid didn't make the list? List is good, not long enough, but most kids on deserve to be there and have the stats to back up their selection. They do favor the prep schools, but then again, so do the top colleges! If you watch the list evolve over the next few years, you will see that these are the kids for the most part that will be starters in college.

The issue that most people probably have a problem with is the "science" or lack thereof to putting a numerical ranking next to each kid's name as an indication that one kids' lax skills are that much better than another's. What's wrong with just keping a list of the college commits and just leaving it at that. You can pretty much guess that the kids going to the top 5 programs have better skills than the kids in the bottom 5 programs but to profess any insidght greater than that you should be running the world's most profitable hedge fund and making billions.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Really? I seem to recall not too long ago an Attackman from West Islip being ranked #1. How'd that work out? Goes back to the pror post of setting these kids up for a "Bust" label.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Galasso is hardly a bust. Freshman AA, ACC record for freshman. Some injuries and resulting transfer has slowed his career but he has two years left. I think you will be hearing his name again this year at Cuse. He may not be a college legend but I dont think he will be a bust either.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Really? I seem to recall not too long ago an Attackman from West Islip being ranked #1. How'd that work out? Goes back to the pror post of setting these kids up for a "Bust" label.

Even with the injuries Galasso has had a great college career so far and now with 2 years left and playing at Syracuse who knows how good he will end up being. That was a weak example of the point you were trying to make.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are you serious a bust? Not exactly, cant wait to see what he does next.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Galasso is hardly a bust. Freshman AA, ACC record for freshman. Some injuries and resulting transfer has slowed his career but he has two years left. I think you will be hearing his name again this year at Cuse. He may not be a college legend but I dont think he will be a bust either.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If these lists are to have any credibility, a #1 ranking should mean Tewaaraton finalst (if not winner) at some point during his career. Lets see what happens. Same for the kid at the top of this 2016 list. If not, what's the point of the ranking?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The other interesting thing about these lists is that they get reshuffled every year. How do the kids feel when they get moved down the list or maybe drop off altogether in subsequent years. Ouch. For all the supporters of these lists, lets see what you say about the process if your kid gets moved down. [lacrosse] hath no fury like a scorned lax mommy or daddy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When lists like these are developed, the people near the top will always have to accept a huge amount of scrutiny and added pressure to live up to the inflated expectations - like it or not it just comes with the territory. What also seems to come with the territory are those that will go a step further out of jealousy/competitiveness and hope the lists are actually proven wrong. Just human nature when the competitive fires are stoked by early recruiting and list making. A shame this great sport is evolving like this just to "get a spot".

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The other interesting thing about these lists is that they get reshuffled every year. How do the kids feel when they get moved down the list or maybe drop off altogether in subsequent years. Ouch. For all the supporters of these lists, lets see what you say about the process if your kid gets moved down. [lacrosse] hath no fury like a scorned lax mommy or daddy.

Ain't that the truth! Still think list is good. But wouldn't want to be #1!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Freshman AA due to hype. Records
because he was a man up specialist. Injuries?
Or was it the incoming freshman class that
made him transfer? Bust? Maybe.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why didn't this kid (or the kids' parents) want to play with his HS buddies with Cherry's Summer team?

Probably thought that the Express was a superior program. Otherwise awefully difficult to not play for your high school coach.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Probably thought that the Express was a superior program. Otherwise awefully difficult to not play for your high school coach.

Unlike many School-run summer program's Bill Cherry doesn;t require kids to play for him. He certainly suggests that they may improve as a HS team if they are able to keep a core group together, but he doesn't seem to hammer the kids if they don;t play for his summer teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Unlike many School-run summer program's Bill Cherry doesn;t require kids to play for him. He certainly suggests that they may improve as a HS team if they are able to keep a core group together, but he doesn't seem to hammer the kids if they don;t play for his summer teams.

Many of the better Manhasset players have opted to play Club ball. The Express team this kid playes for is one of the best. His experience playing with and against the best competition clearly has played a significant role in his development as a top tier player.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

True enough.....unless you're good enough to make your elite HS team but are not a favorite of the coach. It could be, an often is, a reality that many excellent players just don't get the time needed to show what they can do when the necessary people are watching. There are many examples of kids who got their "look" from a club team because they just didn't get enough time on the field because of the particular make-up/strength of their HS team It can totally happen....Now if you are one of the coaches favorites then playing for his summer team might be the best move. This is not "one size fits all" and you need to be able to adapt based upon where the oppotunities are for your son.....I am in the camp that options are best and that letting any HS coach hold all the cards could cause many deserving kids to lose out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Many of the better Manhasset players have opted to play Club ball. The Express team this kid playes for is one of the best. His experience playing with and against the best competition clearly has played a significant role in his development as a top tier player.

So what you're saying is that Cherry's program would not have played against the best competition and that he could not have given this kid as good of an experience. Wonder if he would agree with that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

News flash - Cherry's Manhasset 32 team is "club ball" - same experience as Express, fl$ etc. The manhasset 32 team doesn't just play against other town teams - they play all clubs - town or "elite", because they can match up very well talent wise. And they do it for half the price. Plenty of these kids also made it to Maverick Showtime and Jake Reed as well because there are some really great Manhasset players who have decided to play Manhasset 32 and not Express or other clubs. It's insulting to say many of the "better Manhasset players" have decided to play club ball. Based on who's judgement? What makes you the expert talent evaluator? I'm sure Express would love to have some of the Manhasset 32 players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Freshman AA due to hype. Records
because he was a man up specialist. Injuries?
Or was it the incoming freshman class that
made him transfer? Bust? Maybe.

Wow, not even remotely close to the truth. He has the most points of any player in Long Island history! You dont do that by being just a man up specialist. Was an AA his freshman year and broke his foot the following fall. He should have injury RS but he didnt and he lost his spot to an outstanding freshmen class of attackmen. Broke his other foot right before the season last year and he did RS this time. The kid is a special talent, not even close to being a bust. Take the jealousy elsewhere.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cherry could have done what Express did for this kid (exposure, recruiting etc.) for a fraction of the cost.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cherry could have done what Express did for this kid (exposure, recruiting etc.) for a fraction of the cost.

Kid never would be recruiting to Duke without Express, not this early. Express put him Man Up! No question about it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Kid never would be recruiting to Duke without Express, not this early. Express put him Man Up! No question about it.

I disagree. If the kid is that good it doesn't matter what club he played for. Cherry's connections are 2nd to none.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Cherry could have done what Express did for this kid (exposure, recruiting etc.) for a fraction of the cost.

I disagree. If the kid is that good it doesn't matter what club he played for. Cherry's connections are 2nd to none. [/quote}

You are wrong. Name one other kid from set that was recruited to a top tier school as a sophomore without club. Oh, you can't! Maybe he would have been discovered eventually, but then again, maybe not. Express put him out there! End of story. Channys connections got him noticed

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Cherry could have done what Express did for this kid (exposure, recruiting etc.) for a fraction of the cost.

I disagree. If the kid is that good it doesn't matter what club he played for. Cherry's connections are 2nd to none. [/quote}

You are wrong. Name one other kid from set that was recruited to a top tier school as a sophomore without club. Oh, you can't! Maybe he would have been discovered eventually, but then again, maybe not. Express put him out there! End of story. Channys connections got him noticed
This was an exception because of talent that Duke would have found just from his high school playing alone. He didn't need Express or Cherry's Manhasset 32 club. You are giving Express way too much credit for something that would have happened anyway. You'll never really know how any kid was recruited - was it mostly because of the club or what he did for his high school? It all starts with his high school season though. How do you know that Cherry didn't have a heeay hand in getting Duke to notice this boy? I bet Cherry is as close to Danowski as anybody.

Like Reply Quote
Page 60 of 144 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 143 144
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard