BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,160
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 36 of 58 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The amount of lies on this board about ER is ridiculous. I've had both my sons commit to top schools as a sophomore and freshman. Nobody is taking their scholarship away. Their classes weren't over committed and nobody got dropped by graduation. Do I think kids should commit that early , no. But kids will go where there talent takes them regardless of ER. Whining and lying about the current process does nothing except make you look small and jealous.

Jack straw- your posts are not helpful, and almost always defensive or antagonistic.
TREND - early committed HS players are deciding to decommit as JR or SR years.
Biggest Factor- Kids often cave to the pressure, (directly or indirectly) from parents or peers, to be done with the process. Why else would kids rush to commit to colleges offering little money, and to colleges that are not an academic admissions reach?

(Other than the obvious IVY, Duke, and ND type choices) - the best advice is to stay patient, and weigh all your options later. If you are a good athlete, and good student - you will have plenty of options.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The amount of lies on this board about ER is ridiculous. I've had both my sons commit to top schools as a sophomore and freshman. Nobody is taking their scholarship away. Their classes weren't over committed and nobody got dropped by graduation. Do I think kids should commit that early , no. But kids will go where there talent takes them regardless of ER. Whining and lying about the current process does nothing except make you look small and jealous.

Jack straw- your posts are not helpful, and almost always defensive or antagonistic.
Biggest Factor- Kids often cave to the pressure, (directly or indirectly) from parents or peers, to be done with the process. Why else would kids rush to commit to colleges offering little money, and to colleges that are not an academic admissions reach?

(Other than the obvious IVY, Duke, and ND type choices) - the best advice is to stay patient, and weigh all your options later. If you are a good athlete, and good student - you will have plenty of options.

I think anyone who's had a child commit early will read this post and laugh. My son committed to a great school and visited numerous schools, including some ivies. Guess what? He disliked them! And guess what? So did we! Both my wife and I graduated from Top 20 schools. Guess what? They're over-rated and expensive!! There are so many other factors that make a school a perfect fit for a player. And no one's rushing, but when a coach is putting a nice offer in front of you, and your son (not you, or your wife) loves the school, you go for it. Oh, and if my son decides it's not the right choice (doubtful), and chooses another school for WHATEVER REASON, excellent. He's set now and will be set later. So, unless you've walk this walk, no one cares.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The number of de-commits are high... So, it becomes a game for coaches...
Be aware!
The recruiting stratgy with some programs are to hedge risk of early talent projection, by overcommitting -example; 7 Attackman, knowing if 3 players work out by graduation... Great... Meanwhile, the other 4 player have to restart the whole process...

What are you talking about? What D1 program in what grade year has 7 attack commits? None. The number of de-commits is mostly, if not almost exclusively on the student side. Better deal, better school, better fit, etc... How many schools are de-committing kids? Not many, and if they do it's because of grades or off field issues. Get your facts straight.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think anyone who's had a child commit early will read this post and laugh. My son committed to a great school and visited numerous schools, including some ivies. Guess what? He disliked them! And guess what? So did we! Both my wife and I graduated from Top 20 schools. Guess what? They're over-rated and expensive!! There are so many other factors that make a school a perfect fit for a player. And no one's rushing, but when a coach is putting a nice offer in front of you, and your son (not you, or your wife) loves the school, you go for it. Oh, and if my son decides it's not the right choice (doubtful), and chooses another school for WHATEVER REASON, excellent. He's set now and will be set later. So, unless you've walk this walk, no one cares.

Might be the best, most honest post on choosing a college ever on BOTC.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You think so? Check the schools in 2018. See how many options all those patient players have. You are ignorant on the recruiting process and jealous of others success. Most schools are just about full. Before you state the obvious, many recruits for schools are NOT listed on lax power. Commit numbers are far higher. Now for that one late bloomer, kid that comes out of nowhere and makes UA team, that kid will have options. That is a rare occurrence... Good luck with your strategy.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hate the process but it is an arms race. That's why so many people verbal early afraid that the money will be gone. Its like musical chairs don't get caught when the music stops without an offer. Pushes some people into bad decisions. That's why the transfer rate is so high. Wait and see attitude leads to walk on and maybe money in year 2

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You think so? Check the schools in 2018. See how many options all those patient players have. You are ignorant on the recruiting process and jealous of others success. Most schools are just about full. Before you state the obvious, many recruits for schools are NOT listed on lax power. Commit numbers are far higher. Now for that one late bloomer, kid that comes out of nowhere and makes UA team, that kid will have options. That is a rare occurrence... Good luck with your strategy.

Hardly Jealous. I am speaking from 1st hand experience... And most grateful to receive this timely advice from a college, while my son was a rising junior, (peek of frustrated with the ER process)...
PLEASE encourage your kids to stay positive, calm, and confident.
If your son is getting early attention, keep the conversation going... If your son has gifted athleticism, don't settle early... In most cases, these coaches are offering very little (other than peace of mind). Do Not Settle or Sell yourselves short.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hate the process but it is an arms race. That's why so many people verbal early afraid that the money will be gone. Its like musical chairs don't get caught when the music stops without an offer. Pushes some people into bad decisions. That's why the transfer rate is so high. Wait and see attitude leads to walk on and maybe money in year 2

...some money goes early (usually to FOGO or super speedy middy). But keep in mind, 12.6 scholarships per team, so anything more than a 1/4 consider bonus...
academic money and financial aid are available to whom ever qualifies, no matter how late in the process...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This system needs to be fixed, there is NO way any 8th, 9th or even 10th grader knows what they want in college. I know lots of people will jump on here and say "my kid knows, and always wanted to go to ____". And, maybe that is true, but I really don't think they have ANY idea what they are actually signing up for. I don't get it, the kids/parents have all of the power, if people started saying "I'm not ready" this crazy process would slow down. IMO if you haven't had some AP courses, taken your SATs and played a year or two of varsity, you cannot realistically make a decision on a college. I just don't get it. But I am assuming, when you see 8th and 9th graders "committing" it is so the can brag about it, not because it is actually a decision that they feel good about.

Actually - that is where you are a little off in your assumptions. My 9th grade daughter knows exactly what she wants to do and is very mature for her grade. She has already taken her PSAT's and will be signed up for her SAT's next fall. If we can find time to schedule in some sort of SAT prep class this spring along with drivers-ed, we should be good to go. Right now she's mulling over several offers from various schools and should be decided soon. Fortunately - most of the schools are within easy driving distance from Baltimore, so she can take herself to their camps this summer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just don't understand why any of the negative posters care about the people that chose to commit early.

I have two playing-one committed early and is happy playing at D-1 level (although, at the time 10th grade was early) and one not good enough to be considered still in HS.

younger one loves the game and will play as long as he can whether someone calls or not. Most colleges have club programs that are both fun and competitive without the 30 hour work week associated with D-1.

I say, to each his own-for those who commit in 9th grade, good for them, i hope it works out, for those that choose to wait-or those that never get asked-good luck to you as well.

the people saying the game has been ruined-i say just the opposite. the game is being played every spring weekend and every summer weekend by thousands of kids...ten years ago, unless you were on LI or in MD, it was simply not the case.

so just take a step back and let your kid have fun. when it is no longer fun, try a different sport. The level of competition in soccer or baseball or football or basketball is no different when it comes to club teams selling the dream...some kids get recruited, some don't. not your job or my job to critique the parenting skills of others...

I agree with you, and I'm pretty sure that most other people do, too. Too many people think it's their place to tell other people what to do.

And why shouldn't people feel that way? Doesn't the village get their say? :-)

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This system needs to be fixed, there is NO way any 8th, 9th or even 10th grader knows what they want in college. I know lots of people will jump on here and say "my kid knows, and always wanted to go to ____". And, maybe that is true, but I really don't think they have ANY idea what they are actually signing up for. I don't get it, the kids/parents have all of the power, if people started saying "I'm not ready" this crazy process would slow down. IMO if you haven't had some AP courses, taken your SATs and played a year or two of varsity, you cannot realistically make a decision on a college. I just don't get it. But I am assuming, when you see 8th and 9th graders "committing" it is so the can brag about it, not because it is actually a decision that they feel good about.

Actually - that is where you are a little off in your assumptions. My 9th grade daughter knows exactly what she wants to do and is very mature for her grade. She has already taken her PSAT's and will be signed up for her SAT's next fall. If we can find time to schedule in some sort of SAT prep class this spring along with drivers-ed, we should be good to go. Right now she's mulling over several offers from various schools and should be decided soon. Fortunately - most of the schools are within easy driving distance from Baltimore, so she can take herself to their camps this summer.

Uhmmm. How will your rising 10th grader have her full license this summer?? So she's a 16 year old 9th grader?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Uhmmm. How will your rising 10th grader have her full license this summer?? So she's a 16 year old 9th grader?

Maryland has different driving rules than NY

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's great, what a joke

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How old is she - 22?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
my dd will be turning 15 in 10th grade.
The hold backs are ridiculous! 16 in 9th?!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You have to be 16 1/2 to drive in Maryland. My son is 16 1/2, and he's in 11th grade here in NY.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You have to be 16 1/2 to drive in Maryland. My son is 16 1/2, and he's in 11th grade here in NY.

Ok, we'll be able to sleep now, thanks

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok, we'll be able to sleep now, thanks

Hilarious the amount of holdbacks there are in MD.. HILARIOUS!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mmm... If you and wifey graduated from a "top 20 schools" (as claimed)... I agree! Judging from your, screaming of insecurity, post... your education was an awful waste of money, and completely, over-rated... Good thing little Johnny inherited your judgement.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The number of de-commits are high... So, it becomes a game for coaches...
Be aware!
The recruiting stratgy with some programs are to hedge risk of early talent projection, by overcommitting -example; 7 Attackman, knowing if 3 players work out by graduation... Great... Meanwhile, the other 4 player have to restart the whole process...

What are you talking about? What D1 program in what grade year has 7 attack commits? None. The number of de-commits is mostly, if not almost exclusively on the student side. Better deal, better school, better fit, etc... How many schools are de-committing kids? Not many, and if they do it's because of grades or off field issues. Get your facts straight.

...like in any profession, you will find some coaches are more transparent and up front than others. If you don't grasp that concept, you are naive.
if your EC son, is an early peaker (and no hiding that fact)... Gaining admissions to a reach school will still prove a great choice, if lax is not in the equation after freshman year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ha! Ever?? Nice try ...says the guy who wrote it

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I love the parents that push their kids to those shiny brand name "academic admissions reach" schools as opposed to picking schools where they can succeed and thrive. Recently, I've seen too many transfers from those academic reach schools. The way we've always approached it for all our kids was to put a list together of schools they are interested in. Then let them decide within that list. We can go brand name shopping later when looking for a grad school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I love the parents that push their kids to those shiny brand name "academic admissions reach" schools as opposed to picking schools where they can succeed and thrive. Recently, I've seen too many transfers from those academic reach schools. The way we've always approached it for all our kids was to put a list together of schools they are interested in. Then let them decide within that list. We can go brand name shopping later when looking for a grad school.
you are the best parent known to man genius.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nope, sorry tool, just being honest. You're just all pissed off because the original poster blew up your thoughts on picking a school, with straight talk and reality... The truth cuts deep.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nope, sorry tool, just being honest. You're just all pissed off because the original poster blew up your thoughts on picking a school, with straight talk and reality... The truth cuts deep.

Great post. We've walked the walk. Daughter recruited by and visited 8 schools. None of them really was "the one" but a couple were really close. She received her first offer from one of the schools that was not in her top two and the next day received an offer from one of her top two. She accepted. After her fall semester at her school she knew she didn't want to be there anymore. Not the fault of the school, team or daughter. It just wasn't a good fit for her, but she didn't know until she actually lived at the school for some time. It was a D1 school, but we/she were never really locked into D1, it just worked out that way. Now she's playing juco and having a great time and will probably transfer to a 4 year school, but now with a better idea of what she's looking for.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So you think your academically challenged kid who picked a low level undergrad so they can thrive will now be ready for one of those reach graduate programs after 4 ( maybe 6 in this case) years at nonsense university , now that sounds like a solid plan .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
People need to also remember what it means to go to that "reach" school if you are not playing lacrosse. Don't ever under estimate the value of academic support. It varies from school to school, but at some places it is really significant. Of course they dont do the work for you; your kid still needs to study and work hard. However, it is one thing to go to Notre Dame or an Ivy with academic support and quite another to have to go it alone. If you get to your "reach" and then (1) get cut in the Fall; (2) get hurt: (3) decide you hate the coach; (4) arent playing , etc. you may find yourself suddenly separated from the team and everything that goes with it. So my two cents is by all means reach for the best school.....just make sure your kid could still survive if all the academic support went away.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
People need to also remember what it means to go to that "reach" school if you are not playing lacrosse. Don't ever under estimate the value of academic support. It varies from school to school, but at some places it is really significant. Of course they dont do the work for you; your kid still needs to study and work hard. However, it is one thing to go to Notre Dame or an Ivy with academic support and quite another to have to go it alone. If you get to your "reach" and then (1) get cut in the Fall; (2) get hurt: (3) decide you hate the coach; (4) arent playing , etc. you may find yourself suddenly separated from the team and everything that goes with it. So my two cents is by all means reach for the best school.....just make sure your kid could still survive if all the academic support went away.

Booze and weed work for all of those situations at all schools

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can you go more into detail re academic support ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So you think your academically challenged kid who picked a low level undergrad so they can thrive will now be ready for one of those reach graduate programs after 4 ( maybe 6 in this case) years at nonsense university , now that sounds like a solid plan .

Reads to me like the poster was writing just the opposite of what you are writing. Check his post again. The way I read it you are disagreeing with what you agree with.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

People also need to remember that most of the people on this site are jealous little trolls.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2021 YJ to Maryland. https://mobile.twitter.com/LIYELLOWJACKETS/status/834305657977323520?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hey mommy....good for your daughter

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

People also need to remember that most of the people on this site are jealous little trolls.

Or chest thumping meatheads who like to talk down to anyone that does not seem to be meeting their standards. Hilarious.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hey mommy....good for your daughter

It's actually old news - I guess mommy does not want us to forget.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Reads to me like the poster was writing just the opposite of what you are writing. Check his post again. The way I read it you are disagreeing with what you agree with.

It sounds like that poster may have some first hand experience with the 6 year plan at a nonsense university since he's recalling it so fondly.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Or chest thumping meatheads who like to talk down to anyone that does not seem to be meeting their standards. Hilarious.

Agree. The point is well taken. Lax bros need to be able to do the work without a personal tutor.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
...everything always works out for the best in the end.
Now that you and daughter been thru it, do you have any recommendations on what you should know about the school, and/or yourself Before making the decision?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Key phrase to sum up is Good FIT (as an individual) ...when you are realistic with your kid's academic/athletic strengths and weaknesses, it helps you find that situation where your kid will be challenged, and ultimately thrive.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
8th grade YJ commits to Yale. Have these college coaches lost their minds?or are they all hurrying to wrap up the youngest talent before their own proposal goes into effect?

Like Reply Quote
Page 36 of 58 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard