BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,700
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 58 of 111 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 110 111
Re: CHAMINADE Lacrosse. Stories and news.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that is absolutely true. would not have hesitated to do a PG year as well, but got the nod from a top school absolute success story that shows hold backs, repeats works. the end justifies the means...Machiavelli

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let's see if he plays?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Well, I'll definitely pester Jack and Brother Tom about this.

No reason for Chaminade to be pulling this sort of holdback [lacrosse]. It's embarrassing.

Let us know how that goes

Will you really pester them? Will you stomp you feet and and hold your breath too?

How about speaking the truth, putting a name on it, getting a petition and holding back support?

Really, what are you gonna do about it?

Why would I not have a conversation with them about it? I'm friends with Jack and some of his kids, and see Bro. Tom once or twice a year. This sh*t never happened when I was there, which really is not that long ago.

I'm a relatively active alum who does care about the school -- the holdback / repeat stuff upsets me. I don't have any kids there yet, so I didn't know it was happening.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No reason for Chaminade to be pulling this sort of holdback [lacrosse]. It's embarrassing.

Will you really pester them? Will you stomp you feet and and hold your breath too?

How about speaking the truth, putting a name on it, getting a petition and holding back support?

Why would I not have a conversation with them about it? I'm friends with Jack and some of his kids, and see Bro. Tom once or twice a year. This sh*t never happened when I was there, which really is not that long ago.

I'm a relatively active alum who does care about the school -- the holdback / repeat stuff upsets me. I don't have any kids there yet, so I didn't know it was happening.

Get a hobby or a Goomata, WAY too much time on your hands.......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the guys who consider this cheating, etc.: wake up! It happens all the time in the lax world and more and more on Long Island. Georgetown has a freshman who was born in 1996. He repeated the 9th grade ( transferred from public to private) and then did a PG year. Kid started his freshman year at age 20. Worked out for him -- he rec'd an athletic scholarship to one of the best academic schools in the US. Cheating or smart?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the guys who consider this cheating, etc.: wake up! It happens all the time in the lax world and more and more on Long Island. Georgetown has a freshman who was born in 1996. He repeated the 9th grade ( transferred from public to private) and then did a PG year. Kid started his freshman year at age 20. Worked out for him -- he rec'd an athletic scholarship to one of the best academic schools in the US. Cheating or smart?

Repeating 9th grade=cheating. PG year=smart.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cheating

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cheating

Kid missed out on 2 years of earning 100K a year and having already put two years into his pension..Lol...worked out real well

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Going to Georgetown, did a PG year at a 60k prep, willing to bet he doesn't need the 200k nor the pension.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cheating

Relax. This holdback thing is starting to bare the fruit I've always thought it would.
Current 2016 College Freshman at ACC school, not from LI, from parts south. Kid is from one of the two holdback hotbed areas, won't say which, as I don't want to out the kid on here.
Was ranked in the top 40 of incoming Freshman by both dopey Ty and IL.
Well, fall ball started and the Coaches were less than impressed. Kid didn't even make the team, cut in fall ball.
I've never understood these Coaches who believe that a kid who has played down his whole HS life, will suddenly thrive in an environment where he now has to play up and standout???
I imagine that this is happening all across D1 this fall. As the first super early holdback recruits hit the turf. I suspect many will never see the field and others will be gone in fall ball of sophomore year. Sure, some will do well and thrive.
However, overall, I predict we will start to see the tide turn on these holdbacks and double holdbacks. As whole, they will not pan out.
I further believe you will start to see more upsets and non-traditional teams in the top 20. Let's face it, if Molloy didn't get hurt, Brown would have won it all last year.
Let's keep watching and see if I'm right...

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
too bad for the kids who were forced by parents to accelerate the process. they were children and victimized by the insecurities of mommy and daddy to somehow impress with the early commit bragging b.s.
the parents responsible for making this commitment should be ashamed but will follow the same pattern of blaming coaches etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cheating

Relax. This holdback thing is starting to bare the fruit I've always thought it would.
Current 2016 College Freshman at ACC school, not from LI, from parts south. Kid is from one of the two holdback hotbed areas, won't say which, as I don't want to out the kid on here.
Well, fall ball started and the Coaches were less than impressed. Kid didn't even make the team, cut in fall ball.
I've never understood these Coaches who believe that a kid who has played down his whole HS life, will suddenly thrive in an environment where he now has to play up and standout???
I imagine that this is happening all across D1 this fall. As the first super early holdback recruits hit the turf. I suspect many will never see the field and others will be gone in fall ball of sophomore year. Sure, some will do well and thrive.
However, overall, I predict we will start to see the tide turn on these holdbacks and double holdbacks. As whole, they will not pan out.
I further believe you will start to see more upsets and non-traditional teams in the top 20. Let's face it, if Molloy didn't get hurt, Brown would have won it all last year.

quite a leap to corral the whole concept of hold backs as a pending failure based on one player. I do not see this singular event being a cause for universities to pull back from recruiting from the growing masses of single and double hold backs. They are in it to win it as it were. we just have to hope that kids who are age on and are at the top of their game with their peers continue to do so at the next level. I for one am proud of my age appropriate son who fortunately has been able to contend with the hold backs in his class and secure a coveted spot at a great institution in spite of the crowd of super hold backs he competed against.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And who is his best friend? I would guess jumping around so much he doesn't have one, or a group of buddies, very sad.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I also think the issue will thin itself out a little, but not much; in reality why wouldn't the coaches continue this. As posted on other forums, what do they really need 4 of the (on avg) 10 commits to pan out. With maybe another 2/3 playing supporting roles. Leaving 4 not working out, happens.

(4x4) 16 great players and (4x2) 8 supporting players, 24 players on a college team and woo hoo that coach is a genius.
2 Goalie
4 Attack
6 middie
2 off mids/att
2 Dmids
2 LSM
2 fogo
4 poles

Sure as a figure failing 40% a year would seem high, but the flip side is if you avg .600 each year Id say you would be a top coach.

and these schools still recruit whether the top recruit at 8th grade or a surprise in 11th. They just need any 4 of the recruits to pan out. whether recruit 1 or 10 (in some cases 12)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I also think the issue will thin itself out a little, but not much; in reality why wouldn't the coaches continue this. As posted on other forums, what do they really need 4 of the (on avg) 10 commits to pan out. With maybe another 2/3 playing supporting roles. Leaving 4 not working out, happens.

(4x4) 16 great players and (4x2) 8 supporting players, 24 players on a college team and woo hoo that coach is a genius.
2 Goalie
4 Attack
6 middie
2 off mids/att
2 Dmids
2 LSM
2 fogo
4 poles

Sure as a figure failing 40% a year would seem high, but the flip side is if you avg .600 each year Id say you would be a top coach.

and these schools still recruit whether the top recruit at 8th grade or a surprise in 11th. They just need any 4 of the recruits to pan out. whether recruit 1 or 10 (in some cases 12)

Exactly. And when you recruit 16 or 17 kids a year like Tillman or Petro, your odds of fielding a good team increase significantly.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, you have several classes to make up for then.
Senior class and Sophomore class both have a holdback or 2.
We know the freshman.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, you have several classes to make up for then.
Senior class and Sophomore class both have a holdback or 2.
We know the freshman.

Are we talking hold back or double hold back for freshman class. Sophomore class has more than 2 hold backs (or pre 1sts).

Ill give a nov/dec a pass but Oct, Sept or prior nah nah nah, try agian, your a holdback.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Guys we should not be talking Football on the Chaminade site. the best LI football will be Floyd vs Longwood this weekend (sorry lindy the run will be over once you get to them). WI and Bellport you are in a different league for a reason. Pequa not a bad team just not the same, but that is why they play the games.

As far as LI football and St A's just look they lost to Delbarton who got smoked by a real Football School Bosco. who lost to other reall football schools. Sorry capital region your not that good either. Shen you have always been great at football with 3000 kids why wouldnt you be ever heard of Sachem in the 80's. Imagine if Sachem, the Hills, or the Smithtowns were one high school. please

lindy will beat long wood and upstate football is better than anything long island produces. and farmingdale beats whomever in suffolk conference

bam lindy 37-0 over longwood

It was said that is why they play the games. But good win and great season. My hat is tipped to them

Play of the year in OT for Lindy to win over Floydd on going for 2.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cheating

quite a leap to corral the whole concept of hold backs as a pending failure based on one player. I do not see this singular event being a cause for universities to pull back from recruiting from the growing masses of single and double hold backs. They are in it to win it as it were. we just have to hope that kids who are age on and are at the top of their game with their peers continue to do so at the next level. I for one am proud of my age appropriate son who fortunately has been able to contend with the hold backs in his class and secure a coveted spot at a great institution in spite of the crowd of super hold backs he competed against.

No leap at all. Mine is an age appropriate commit as well. He had the opportunity at 16 yo to play up against many a 19 and 20 year old 2016 rising college freshman at the committed games this past summer. Did quite well against them. I understand my views are anecdotally based, however given the lack of a double blind study on early recruiting to refer to, I believe I'm on to something...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cheating

No leap at all. Mine is an age appropriate commit as well. He had the opportunity at 16 yo to play up against many a 19 and 20 year old 2016 rising college freshman at the committed games this past summer. Did quite well against them. I understand my views are anecdotally based, however given the lack of a double blind study on early recruiting to refer to, I believe I'm on to something...

It will be interesting to see if trends do indeed develop.

In the mean time; it behooves all age on kids to work harder in order to get the attention they deserve among these holdbacks

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This situation seems to be a hot button. I wonder how the young man and his family are dealing with all this attention. Is the boys success out weighing the negative attention. The boy must be conflicted. He is having success receiving trophys while people are calling him a cheater.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds like sour grapes to me. Whaaa whaa. Let it go and hold back your kid or find a new sport cry babies. Football is loaded with kids who are overage because they fail grades multiple times, no crying there. But in lax it's the end of the world. Bunch of babies. I tell my son to buckle up his chin strap and play. You guys tell junior it's ok the other boy is a cheater.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why was the issue avoided . The question was meant to provoke people to think

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No Inteligent response

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My question is , did Chaminade start at QB Junior year?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cheating

Browns roster was filled with heldback Prep school kids, do your research before you spew nonsense. 26 kids on their roster were prep school or catholic school kids many of them from the mid atlantic. Care to guess how many were heldback, reclassed, or did a PG? And I wouldnt exactly call Brown a "non-traditional", always been a good program. Oh and by the way, look what two teams were in the National championship, two of the biggest early recruiters out there who both carry huge rosters. Nothing will change, there will be parity in the sport because the sport is expanding but people are still going to hold back their kids, colleges are still going to early recruit, and the same teams that are always in the top 10 will remain there. Get over it and concentrate on what your kid is doing and making sure hes doing everything he can to put himself in the best position possible.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again the parents are sitting in the stands and a group of people are cheering the boy and the other half calling him a cheater. He receives the trophys and people are whispering behind his back. Is it worth it? A question not a judgement

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In every other sport there are "hold backs" . Especially in the two money sports, football and basketball. These kids repeat grades multiple times due to failure. There are thousands of them. No belly aching. Why is lacrosse different? You play a sport of the wealthy and you get prep kids and parents who can afford to hold their child back. Again, lacrosse is the sport of the rich white kid. Don't think so? Look at all the powerhouses nationwide. Get past it folks or you're going to go nuts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When you are 18 months older than most kids you are playing with you better light up. Like many on here, I just think this sends the wrong message and is contrary to the Chaminade values. Before every game they make an announcement that the game is designed to promote "sportsmanshopo and fair play." How is letting a holdback or double holdback run the team consistent with those ideals much less the "do the right thing at the right time, no matter who is watching" mantra of the school???

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So are you going to blame or punish the kid because his parents made the decision to hold him back? Not sure tha would be consistent with Marianist values either.

The fact remains that many parents are making this decision. Indeed, many parents believe holding their child back has benefits other than athletic benefits (including social and academic benefits). Read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Many people are holding their kids back. You better get used to it and stop whining about it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Guys we should not be talking Football on the Chaminade site. the best LI football will be Floyd vs Longwood this weekend (sorry lindy the run will be over once you get to them). WI and Bellport you are in a different league for a reason. Pequa not a bad team just not the same, but that is why they play the games.

As far as LI football and St A's just look they lost to Delbarton who got smoked by a real Football School Bosco. who lost to other reall football schools. Sorry capital region your not that good either. Shen you have always been great at football with 3000 kids why wouldnt you be ever heard of Sachem in the 80's. Imagine if Sachem, the Hills, or the Smithtowns were one high school. please

lindy will beat long wood and upstate football is better than anything long island produces. and farmingdale beats whomever in suffolk conference

bam 2 lindy over floyd

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bam 3 prediction: Floyd Over Lindy in the Playoffs. and lax too if Lindy can make it there...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

bam 2 lindy over floyd

Bam ? Is Emril Lagasse posting here ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So are you going to blame or punish the kid because his parents made the decision to hold him back? Not sure tha would be consistent with Marianist values either.

The fact remains that many parents are making this decision. Indeed, many parents believe holding their child back has benefits other than athletic benefits (including social and academic benefits). Read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Many people are holding their kids back. You better get used to it and stop whining about it.

Just because people are doing it doesn't make it right. The fact you reference the outliers means you know it is cheating. Cheating the system to gain an advantage. We all learned many people cheat the system (tax system) this political season. Using loopholes to your advantage.

But doesnt galdwell also say the benefit will only work when a few take advantage and it isnt the norm???

Why do you say people should get used to it, let them be a voice. So what if you dont like it and think it Whining, they are entitled to voice their opinion just as they are entitled to hold back.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

bam 2 lindy over floyd

Bam ? Is Emril Lagasse posting here ?

yup

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Using loopholes to your advantage isn't cheating. It's legal. If a taxpayer can carry forward losses in order to not pay taxes, then the taxpayer is legally taking advantage of the rules to his or her benefit. It would be crazy to do otherwise.

If a parent decides to holdback a child to take advantage of the academic, social and athletic benefits that comes with a holdback (or a PG year), it is simply taking advantage of rules (or financial wherewithal) to the benefit of the child.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
its not funny here either.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed and it sucks. Tighten up the rules and enforce them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Using loopholes to your advantage isn't cheating. It's legal. If a taxpayer can carry forward losses in order to not pay taxes, then the taxpayer is legally taking advantage of the rules to his or her benefit. It would be crazy to do otherwise.

If a parent decides to holdback a child to take advantage of the academic, social and athletic benefits that comes with a holdback (or a PG year), it is simply taking advantage of rules (or financial wherewithal) to the benefit of the child.

exactly, but the only way either loophole gets tighten is through awareness. Awareness of the impact these loopholes are creating.

Now i dont agree with holdbacks but they do seem to have a right a to do it - legally

Now I can see a problem arising because of the moral standard and how does a moral standard get overlooked by a catholic institution.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So the impact of these loop holes are what exactly? Based on studies the child is socially more prepared, academically more prepared and obviously athletically more prepared. So the impact is a kid who is......more prepared to succeed. Maybe these hold back parents are on to something.

Like Reply Quote
Page 58 of 111 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 110 111
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard