BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 27 of 58 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You are putting Fairfield in same sentence with Mercey and SUNY. Ridiculous

You're right, Stony Brook is a much better school. Harder to get into, tanked higher, and a better price. Better lax as well.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SUNY D3's Plattsburgh, Farmingdale, Oneonta, Cortland Buffalo, New Paltz Oswego Geneseo

Where LI kids go to play after spending $50k on travel lacrosse

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
50 K??? Where the heck do you play? Not even remotely close. 2k a year for about 4 years. Maybe one more year of travel. Sounds like you got beat bad by a smart travel director.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
50 K??? Where the heck do you play? Not even remotely close. 2k a year for about 4 years. Maybe one more year of travel. Sounds like you got beat bad by a smart travel director.

We were closer to 10 years playing than 4. Any with all the extras including privates, clinics, camps, leagues plus the travel costs its a lot more than 2k a year

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is the Philly Freshman Showcase worth attending or is it a money grab?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i bet 5k a year easy if you are all in

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
IT is well worth it

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
IT is well worth it
is $50k worth it if your son plays D3 with no money? That's over 2 years of tuition at a SUNY

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Go view the list of companies who employ the "ND young Alumni" and its very apparent that it's worth it for certain family's. Parents have to be honest with themselves and realistic about their child's ablitlity and potential.
Setting that aside, I would rather watch my kids "compete" with, and against other tatented players all over the country then vacation in Hawaii, go to the Super Bowl etc.. .it is what I enjoy most. So either way it's a simple decision,

God bless the families in Haiti... help make a difference, pick up the phone and donate today..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SUNY D3's Plattsburgh, Farmingdale, Oneonta, Cortland Buffalo, New Paltz Oswego Geneseo

All very good schools. From my experience, you get out of your education what you put into it. One of my closest friends is a Plattsburgh grad and lax alumni and very successful Wall Street vet. He got a great education, loved playing lacrosse there and parents didn't mortgage the house to pay for it. Some friends from much more prestigious university's are far less successful. Work ethic can take you very far on the field and in your career.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just make sure the kids pick schools that will offer them the opportunity to get a great education and the rest should be secondary.

division 1,2 or 3 it shouldn't matter. The size, location and degrees the schools offer should be what is important

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All very good schools. From my experience, you get out of your education what you put into it. One of my closest friends is a Plattsburgh grad and lax alumni and very successful Wall Street vet. He got a great education, loved playing lacrosse there and parents didn't mortgage the house to pay for it. Some friends from much more prestigious university's are far less successful. Work ethic can take you very far on the field and in your career.

Anecdotal evidence is nice. The odds are not in favor of your argument tho. I will bet on the outcome of 50 Harvard lax grads over the outcome of 50 Plattsburgh lax grads. And i will also bet that on average the 50 harvard lax grads have better work ethics than the 50 Plattsburgh grads.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
FYI 32 of 48 2020 Commits are NOT from NLF teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree that you take out of your college education what you put into it. That being said, I agree with the above statement 100% and I'd wager that as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Anecdotal evidence is nice. The odds are not in favor of your argument tho. I will bet on the outcome of 50 Harvard lax grads over the outcome of 50 Plattsburgh lax grads. And i will also bet that on average the 50 harvard lax grads have better work ethics than the 50 Plattsburgh grads.

Better work ethic because theygo to Harvard?? Because are smarter or have more money they work harder? That one is a leap

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
its no Chaminade, but the Harvard kids are pretty well regarded

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
its no Chaminade, but the Harvard kids are pretty well regarded

fantastic

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Better work ethic because theygo to Harvard?? Because are smarter or have more money they work harder? That one is a leap

No.

It's because a significant amount of both native smarts and conscientiousness (very similar to "work ethic") are required in order for a student to gain admittance to Harvard, even for a recruited athlete with lower academic standards.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Harvard is very difficult to get into, but it is even harder to do poorly there. The undergraduate grading system is VERY soft. It is a great grad school to be sure, but in terms of undergraduate, almost any strong liberal arts college is more rigorous.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No.

It's because a significant amount of both native smarts and conscientiousness (very similar to "work ethic") are required in order for a student to gain admittance to Harvard, even for a recruited athlete with lower academic standards.

Ivies, like most research universities do not really give too much of a darn about undergrads. Large classes, largely taught by graduate students, with minimal office hours/facetime with the professor. Now, graduate school is a different story, but undergrad...meh...hard NOT to get an A average at Harvard.

Excerpt from Business Journal's hardest schools to fail out of:

Though it consistently sits atop US News and World Report's College Ranking List, Harvard College, the undergraduate school at Harvard University, is as known for its rampant grade inflation as it is for its prestige.

A record 91% of Harvard undergraduate students graduated summa, magna, or [lacrosse] laude. And USA Today reported that eight out of every 10 Harvard students graduate with honors, with nearly half receiving A's in their courses.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No.

Ivies, like most research universities do not really give too much of a darn about undergrads. Large classes, largely taught by graduate students, with minimal office hours/facetime with the professor. Now, graduate school is a different story, but undergrad...meh...hard NOT to get an A average at Harvard.

Though it consistently sits atop US News and World Report's College Ranking List, Harvard College, the undergraduate school at Harvard University, is as known for its rampant grade inflation as it is for its prestige.

A record 91% of Harvard undergraduate students graduated summa, magna, or [lacrosse] laude. And USA Today reported that eight out of every 10 Harvard students graduate with honors, with nearly half receiving A's in their courses.

I would go with a SUNY Grad over an IVY Grad any day of the week.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No.

None of that negates my earlier post, though.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Plattsburgh IS the Harvard of the North Country. But at 25% of the cost.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was not part of the earlier discussion. I was just chiming in. Ivies are great for grad school, no question about it. Unlimited research budgets, some of the best professionals in the country to work alongside with, and of course, yes, very prestigious names.

However, for undgrad, you can do MUCH, MUCH better for your kid than the ivies, and no, I am not talking about Maryland, Flordia, or Syracuse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No.

True ... but also just about everyone there is ridiculously bright and hard-working. The workload would absolutely overwhelm many kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have personal experience with Harvard. Those admitted have very high GPAs and very high SATs. They are incredibly bright. On the other hand, the workload is generally not particularly challenging and one can easily skate by and there is very little academic accountability. Don't want to go to class? You do not have to for the most part. And the large classes, like most large universities, are taught by GA's and have multiple choice exams.

This is not Williams nor is it Swarthmore nor Washington and Lee (insert any number of GREAT liberal arts colleges here) and it sure is not a service academy where the demands are around the clock and they will happily give you a C or D or F. You are paying for prestige as an undergrad.

Now, graduate school? That is an entirely different matter.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have personal experience with Harvard. Those admitted have very high GPAs and very high SATs. They are incredibly bright. On the other hand, the workload is generally not particularly challenging and one can easily skate by and there is very little academic accountability. Don't want to go to class? You do not have to for the most part. And the large classes, like most large universities, are taught by GA's and have multiple choice exams.

This is not Williams nor is it Swarthmore nor Washington and Lee (insert any number of GREAT liberal arts colleges here) and it sure is not a service academy where the demands are around the clock and they will happily give you a C or D or F. You are paying for prestige as an undergrad.

I have personal experience with Williams and who are you kidding? I skipped classes constantly and did just fine thank you very much.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have personal experience with Williams and who are you kidding? I skipped classes constantly and did just fine thank you very much.

Yeah.

Right.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have any personal experience with Georgian Court? Has anyone been offered $$ and if so at what % and how is the school? Prefer to hear from those who know rather than guess please, thanks

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah.

Right.

Why yeah right?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have any personal experience with Georgian Court? Has anyone been offered $$ and if so at what % and how is the school? Prefer to hear from those who know rather than guess please, thanks

I think it is only there 2nd year with a team, so probably not.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Isn't it safe to say you can find ways to skate through at every school?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Isn't it safe to say you can find ways to skate through at every school?

No. I assure you there is no skating through at the service academies. Not even close.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if you can easily skate thru Harvard and do well, yourbgrades from Harvard would make it easier to be accepted into their grad school wouldn't it? or does the grad school reject their own undergrads because its easier?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Holy Cross offered my son a roster spot, no money. How can they build a power program, investing $100mm++ on facilities and still only have three scholarships total? Didn't really have the best experience in the recruiting process. I like straight forward answers to my questions, liked to keep things vague. No thanks. Sharing my experience.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Holy Cross offered my son a roster spot, no money. How can they build a power program, investing $100mm++ on facilities and still only have three scholarships total? Didn't really have the best experience in the recruiting process. I like straight forward answers to my questions, liked to keep things vague. No thanks. Sharing my experience.

Interesting. My son is an early commit (2020) to top 5 program. We were very direct in asking the following questions: 1.) we are here at your invitation, where are we on your priority list by position? 2.) Is this a scholarship athlete in your opinion? 3.) Answer to #2 being yes, what is the money?
Coaches appreciate the no BS approach. Nobody really has time for a dance of fools......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
why can't others share their experience in a civil way as this person did?
always the caveat of "my kid was a stud , could have committed in 9th grade" etc.
nice to see a factual and useful post. H.C. isn't the only program with such restraints by the way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Holy Cross offered my son a roster spot, no money. How can they build a power program, investing $100mm++ on facilities and still only have three scholarships total? Didn't really have the best experience in the recruiting process. I like straight forward answers to my questions, liked to keep things vague. No thanks. Sharing my experience.

Interesting. My son is an early commit (2020) to top 5 program. We were very direct in asking the following questions: 1.) we are here at your invitation, where are we on your priority list by position? 2.) Is this a scholarship athlete in your opinion? 3.) Answer to #2 being yes, what is the money?
Coaches appreciate the no BS approach. Nobody really has time for a dance of fools......

I was very direct, I received vague answers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree. Thank you for sharing the info! Much appreciated!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Holy Cross offered my son a roster spot, no money. How can they build a power program, investing $100mm++ on facilities and still only have three scholarships total? Didn't really have the best experience in the recruiting process. I like straight forward answers to my questions, liked to keep things vague. No thanks. Sharing my experience.

Patriot League (for the most part) does not offer scholarships. I think Bucknell has 1 that they divide up. The HC scholarships are new. They didn't exist 3 years ago...

Like Reply Quote
Page 27 of 58 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard