BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,621
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 32 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 31 32
Re: Boys 2021 - 8th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard Eagle was mostly kids from TriStae in NJ

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Happy New Year all! Does anyone have an opinion on Brine NLC vs Under Armour Underclass Tournament? My son did Brine last summer and although playing for his state team (CT) was neat I was just ok with the event itself. There was way too much down time between games and it was hotter than the surface of the sun there. I also question how much of a recruiting event it really is and I want to spend my money wisely this summer. Is UA a better event/ legit recruiting event?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Happy New Year all! Does anyone have an opinion on Brine NLC vs Under Armour Underclass Tournament? My son did Brine last summer and although playing for his state team (CT) was neat I was just ok with the event itself. There was way too much down time between games and it was hotter than the surface of the sun there. I also question how much of a recruiting event it really is and I want to spend my money wisely this summer. Is UA a better event/ legit recruiting event?

I believe UA is considered the better of the two. Person who did UA said there were many coaches at tryouts and the games. The older boys who did Brine from our area definitely weren't the stronger players, which UA seemed much more selective (though many argue the teams are pre-chosen). I would try to get into Showtime or Freshman Fall showcase that NXT runs (also the NLF one I think during fall). And prospect camps. Also try to play in top level tourneys, e.g. NLF, Crabfeast, Big 4 Summer/Fall, etc. Hope this helps! I think everyone's experiences are different when it comes to recruiting so no one right answer. . .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I believe UA is considered the better of the two. Person who did UA said there were many coaches at tryouts and the games. The older boys who did Brine from our area definitely weren't the stronger players, which UA seemed much more selective (though many argue the teams are pre-chosen). I would try to get into Showtime or Freshman Fall showcase that NXT runs (also the NLF one I think during fall). And prospect camps. Also try to play in top level tourneys, e.g. NLF, Crabfeast, Big 4 Summer/Fall, etc. Hope this helps! I think everyone's experiences are different when it comes to recruiting so no one right answer. . .

Shouldn't every player try to do all that, you know, play in the best tourneys, do prospect camps and play in the nation's top events?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Summer goign into 9th grade Brine
Fall 9th grade Phily Freshman
Summer going into 10th grade UA underclass
Summer going into 9/10/11 Showtime
Summer goign into 11 Brine or UA

But some of the under the radar showcases have just as much coaches. Per some of the coaches Each conference will try and set up their own Showcase IE ACC showcase Ivy league etc.

Id say get into those. Some may say money grab but a great way to get in front of specific coaches. I think you take the time to get in front of the coaches of the schools you like find out where they will be.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Summer goign into 9th grade Brine
Fall 9th grade Phily Freshman
Summer going into 10th grade UA underclass
Summer going into 9/10/11 Showtime
Summer goign into 11 Brine or UA

But some of the under the radar showcases have just as much coaches. Per some of the coaches Each conference will try and set up their own Showcase IE ACC showcase Ivy league etc.

Id say get into those. Some may say money grab but a great way to get in front of specific coaches. I think you take the time to get in front of the coaches of the schools you like find out where they will be.

Brine is a total waste of time, absolutely no recruting value, and very expensive. Used to be a fun event, now there are so many better options.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With possibly early recruiting legislation on the way we may see 2021 commits sooner than expected. Crazy though it may be, I wouldn't bed surprised.

Please end the madness.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With possibly early recruiting legislation on the way we may see 2021 commits sooner than expected. Crazy though it may be, I wouldn't bed surprised.

Please end the madness.

I want my son to be the first 7th grade commit. It'll help his name get out there and onto the coach's radar.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please end the madness.

I want my son to be the first 7th grade commit. It'll help his name get out there and onto the coach's radar.

Get a shout out from Ty and you will be on your way!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please end the madness.

If he was committed he would already be on the radar smart guy

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please end the madness.

Settle down, this will not happen. Coaches don't want it. Their actions speak louder than words.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please end the madness.

If he was committed he would already be on the radar smart guy

You dope. Read the post and realize it's a joke. Smart guy.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please end the madness.

Considering he is probably a catholic school prefirst and 8 grade holdback, you may have a chance! ; p

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is a very young 8th grader. Considering the opponents we saw on the field, I know my son doesn't have a chance to standout out until he hits puberty. We don't whine about it, its not something our family even talks about. He plays the game because its fun. Period.

Adults are ruining this great game for many but its mainly because you allow it to happen. You can not control the holdbacks, so why sweat it?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please end the madness.

Considering he is probably a catholic school prefirst and 8 grade holdback, you may have a chance! ; p

Private non Catholic schools is where this happens way more than in a Catholic elementary school or the few Catholic schools that have middle and high schools together. Need to become more familiar with the workings of the private schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please end the madness.

Private non Catholic schools is where this happens way more than in a Catholic elementary school or the few Catholic schools that have middle and high schools together. Need to become more familiar with the workings of the private schools.

We are seeing kids re-enter public school system after spending 8th grade in Catholic (should have been Freshman year). Is this common?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please end the madness.

We are seeing kids re-enter public school system after spending 8th grade in Catholic (should have been Freshman year). Is this common?

Who is "we", and are you saying that kids are repeating 8th grade in public after completing that grade in private?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please end the madness.

Not really for Catholic schools unless there is an academic reason. The private schools do not really care that much, they seem to look at as additional income and hope that the kid will remain at their school after 8th grade. Most privates in this area go from K to 12th grade, so they are more flexible to move kids around.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just don't get it. My son is playing with 9th and 10th graders. Will he get a D1 offer? Probably not. The competition is very tough. But his only chance to play at the college level is to challenge himself and improve. Not play against younger kids just to look better. Those younger kids will catch up and then what?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please end the madness.

Who is "we", and are you saying that kids are repeating 8th grade in public after completing that grade in private?

No, leaving public schools after 8th, attending private school for a year and then rejoining public school as a Freshman. I believe that is what the parents are doing. Not sure of the reasoning, but it doesn't seem kosher.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In our town we've had more than one family rent a house to enroll their kid in our school system. They rented out their house and will go back to where they came from when their son graduates HS. Sad.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please end the madness.

I've seen it in our town also. 8th Grade Public. 8th Grade Private and now back in the public school as a freshman. An 'A' level player who had begun plateauing, but of course the family denies lacrosse had anything to do with the move...always difficult to say, but a husky kid who was already an honor student and I would beg to differ..(The sad thing is, and I'm sure I'll take heat for saying it, but poor kid is now a holdback, and not getting the same recruiting preference that other holdbacks who are at prep schools get)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just don't get it. My son is playing with 9th and 10th graders. Will he get a D1 offer? Probably not. The competition is very tough. But his only chance to play at the college level is to challenge himself and improve. Not play against younger kids just to look better. Those younger kids will catch up and then what?

If you want to get better, play up. If you want to look better, play down.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My oldest son played up for 2 years (he was invited by the coach) and it made him a much better player. Now a HS Junior and committed to a top 15 team. But amazingly, it feels like the lacrosse landscape has changed so much in just the last 2-3 years. No one plays up now.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Each parent has to make choices that are best for their own kid. The question is most parents have no clue on what is best and listen to a lacrosse coach instead of doctors and school professionals when they hold a kid back. Holding back a kid may make a kid stand out more on the lacrosse field but it comes with a price. Hold backs or kids that are reclassified for sports based on studies have a higher rate of psychological problems as adults and are less successful. They may get instant rewards by making a better college but that benefit according to studies is short lived as the kid gets older and has to deal with real life issues. Also the college they get into as a holdback may be upgraded had they not been held back but the major they are forced to take is almost always useless. There are no short cuts in life. In fact short cuts most of the time will backfire.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Each parent has to make choices that are best for their own kid. The question is most parents have no clue on what is best and listen to a lacrosse coach instead of doctors and school professionals when they hold a kid back. Holding back a kid may make a kid stand out more on the lacrosse field but it comes with a price. Hold backs or kids that are reclassified for sports based on studies have a higher rate of psychological problems as adults and are less successful. They may get instant rewards by making a better college but that benefit according to studies is short lived as the kid gets older and has to deal with real life issues. Also the college they get into as a holdback may be upgraded had they not been held back but the major they are forced to take is almost always useless. There are no short cuts in life. In fact short cuts most of the time will backfire.

There are no studies to support that statement. You just made that up. Nice try.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
does that apply to double hold backs? 24 year old seniors?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My oldest son played up for 2 years (he was invited by the coach) and it made him a much better player. Now a HS Junior and committed to a top 15 team. But amazingly, it feels like the lacrosse landscape has changed so much in just the last 2-3 years. No one plays up now.
With the current grade based system, and with early recruiting occurring in that environment, what's the incentive not to play down or not to hold back?? I can only speak for baseball recruitment, which is an age based system, where recruiters want to see you play up, and those playing 'on age' in regional tournaments are considered mid tier players, as opposed to the elite who play up an age or 2. (Of course National tournaments are on age for the most part) I know everyone likes to blast those who holdback or 'play down' but frankly why not take advantage of the grade based system ?? It really does feel like it's dramatically changed over the last 2-3 years, and my real concern is for that mid level youth player in the grade based system and the growth of the game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I use WAZE to drive to/from work. The app gives me shortcuts, they almost always work, just sayin'

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I use WAZE to drive to/from work. The app gives me shortcuts, they almost always work, just sayin'

Priceless!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In our town we've had more than one family rent a house to enroll their kid in our school system. They rented out their house and will go back to where they came from when their son graduates HS. Sad.

Why is it sad for a family to move to a (what I assume you to mean "better") school district while their kids are in school? Do you believe that you are fundamentally entitled to have your kids go to a different public school than someone that legally resides in your district? If so, what is the criteria for your discrimination? Again, you are saying it is sad for a legal resident to go to the "public" school in your district, which became their district when they began legally residing in the house that they rent. If you think you are better than another citizen, for whatever reason, than you may be the saddest example of an American that I have ever seen on this forum. Despite some of the contentious debate that goes on among us lacrosse people, this is the first time I have ever seen anyone actually randomly promote discrimination on this site. You, sir or madam, are sad.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why is it sad for a family to move to a (what I assume you to mean "better") school district while their kids are in school? Do you believe that you are fundamentally entitled to have your kids go to a different public school than someone that legally resides in your district? If so, what is the criteria for your discrimination? Again, you are saying it is sad for a legal resident to go to the "public" school in your district, which became their district when they began legally residing in the house that they rent. If you think you are better than another citizen, for whatever reason, than you may be the saddest example of an American that I have ever seen on this forum. Despite some of the contentious debate that goes on among us lacrosse people, this is the first time I have ever seen anyone actually randomly promote discrimination on this site. You, sir or madam, are sad.

Its sad that parents would uproot an entire family so that their son can play lacrosse at a "powerhouse" school for 3 years. The two daughters had to leave their friends behind. How am I discriminating?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its sad that parents would uproot an entire family so that their son can play lacrosse at a "powerhouse" school for 3 years. The two daughters had to leave their friends behind. How am I discriminating?

That has been going on for decades. I had two kids who moved into the district (80's) and were legally adopted by families then when they graduated they went back to their hometown. They are both super successful, family is intact, extended family is intact. No negative impact on anyone.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Because that is not what you said. You said it was sad that they rented in your town to go to school in your district. I was compelled to read what you wrote.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are countless studies that support this. Not only as adults but also as kids there are self-esteem issues and many other long term issues that result. An older kid looks and acts different compared to younger kids in his grade. Also you are telling your kid he can't compete with kids his own age. The mind is very complicated. The seeds you plant indirectly by holding back are harmful. Find this study below and go on the internet and search some of these terms and you will see holding back results in many problems.

2003 "Position Statement on Student Grade Retention," the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)concluded:

* Academic achievement of kids who are retained is poorer than that of peers who are promoted.
* Achievement gains associated with retention fade within two to three years after the grade repeated.
* Retention often is associated with increased behavior problems.
* Grade retention has a negative impact on all areas of a child's achievement (reading, math, and language) and socio-emotional adjustment (peer relationships, self-esteem, problem behaviors, and attendance).

There are no studies to support that statement. You just made that up. Nice try.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My friend what really sad is someone (most likely a coach) sold you on bringing your son to their district , you are spending the money to appease that coach because his son needs the support so they as a team can win the next 4 years in a school district setting. Not only are you guilty of doing such a foolish act so are others from your travel organization. If you think your going to be welcomed , you have another thing coming.
Its funny how people like you think others are oblivious to whats going on. Lets all move to a district for the next four years to Play Lacrosse , And don't say its all about the education that's being offered.. its a public school. And the last we checked the schools that you all are coming from are just as equal academically .Cant Wait to see the parents who think its so great to have all these high end players show up in their district when the rest of those life long residents kids end up being benched for the next four years .
If you think the coaches are going to have full control on whats going to happen you are dead wrong! What actual position will be available when this all is said and done ?
Have fun with your revolution and Coaches have fun dealing with it ! I am Sure this will make the AD so proud of his accomplishments when he def didn't need this on his resume.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is a Joke! Lets move our family to a district so our son can play with his travel Teammates and live the Travel lifestyle in HS for the next 4 years .. Way to go you full fledged psycho parents , hope you eventually pull your nose back from the A@@ of your kids coach , did your daughters get an offer to play locally in college as well ?? hey you should demand some perks at this rate dropping everything to cater to someone else's vision of HS champion status that never worked out for himself as a kid .

Its sad that parents would uproot an entire family so that their son can play lacrosse at a "powerhouse" school for 3 years. The two daughters had to leave their friends behind. How am I discriminating? [/quote]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what town is this happening????

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Still angry the Crook lost? OBVIOUSLY, this is a lacrosse forum and the post was set in that context. Parents uproot family to attend a "powerhouse" HS........FOR LACROSSE. You really couldn't make that leap?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Still angry the Crook lost? OBVIOUSLY, this is a lacrosse forum and the post was set in that context. Parents uproot family to attend a "powerhouse" HS........FOR LACROSSE. You really couldn't make that leap?

Seeing as how most "powerhouse" lacrosse schools are also very good high schools (Manhasset, Garden City, Cold Spring Harbor, Ward Melville, etc.), seems like a pretty good way to game the system -- paying a few years worth of rent is far, far cheaper than the ~$1 million or so entry fee for many of these towns.

Page 16 of 32 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard