BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,621
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Girls Tryout Discussion
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

All great until you get pushed to the B team

And thank goodness it is that way. I want the best players to come and compete and win the spots over others. This is how these teams stay on top. Is is sad if it is my daughter that gets dropped, yes. But wouldn't want it any other way. Why do you think these YJ teams are ahead and shoulders above all the others on LI? If your sensitive over that philosophy, there are all the rest of the clubs on the island where you can feel safe and secure about a roster spot, provided you are from the right town and kiss the right butts.

You must be new, your last sentence shows how clueless you are about this club.

YJ is not "head and shoulders" above all other LI teams. The YJ a teams have been beaten by other LI teams in some age groups

Perhaps at the younger age groups but rarely once in middle school and above.

2021 and 2022 were absolutely not heads and shoulders above the other LI top teams.
Only delirious YJ parents think that. [/quote]

While there are many fine teams at 2021 I was not aware of any that could beat or come close on LI. That's good news , better competition develops better players.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a newbie parent to the tryout scene. I did my best to try and showup to see how the tryouts are run by different clubs and speak to some of the people in charge. I really appreciate the members on the boards with their input. My goal was to find a club for my daughter for next year when she is in fourth grade. What I have seen is really not many girls trying out for fourth grade and that it is a money grab more than a tryout. If you have only 20 girls trying out how can they not make the team ? Some parents said better off taking the travel money and spending it on a vacation when they are this young. I can see why. The main reason that I wanted my daughter in a travel program was to get the extra touches that a PAL team couldn't necessarily give her. We usually skipped most lax practices because of the basic training that she gets. She has already mastered the skills that most girls are just learning. She loves lax so it's hard to see when she is not having fun at practice. With that being said has anyone found a club that allows your kids to train with them without being a part of the team. My daughter plays multiple sports so I wouldn't mind just practicing and playing PAL lax at her current age. I just want her to have fun and get better. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a newbie parent to the tryout scene. I did my best to try and showup to see how the tryouts are run by different clubs and speak to some of the people in charge. I really appreciate the members on the boards with their input. My goal was to find a club for my daughter for next year when she is in fourth grade. What I have seen is really not many girls trying out for fourth grade and that it is a money grab more than a tryout. If you have only 20 girls trying out how can they not make the team ? Some parents said better off taking the travel money and spending it on a vacation when they are this young. I can see why. The main reason that I wanted my daughter in a travel program was to get the extra touches that a PAL team couldn't necessarily give her. We usually skipped most lax practices because of the basic training that she gets. She has already mastered the skills that most girls are just learning. She loves lax so it's hard to see when she is not having fun at practice. With that being said has anyone found a club that allows your kids to train with them without being a part of the team. My daughter plays multiple sports so I wouldn't mind just practicing and playing PAL lax at her current age. I just want her to have fun and get better. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Ask the clubs directly, I'm sure they will be happy to take your money

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When my daughter was in 4th grade we had her tryout for a 5th grade team and she played up for that year and had a great time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you have her skipping practices in 4th grade because she is too good. I don't think you are setting the right tone. Part of being a team is helping the others on that team become a better player. This is true in college ball as well. Looking for more touches was given as the reason for looking into travel. But you are on a team already where touches are available but you are not going to practice. Just having the stick in your hand at that age is a good thing. I would make the PAL practice and tell your daughter to help her team. In 3 years some may be in a position to help your daughter.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you have her skipping practices in 4th grade because she is too good. I don't think you are setting the right tone. Part of being a team is helping the others on that team become a better player. This is true in college ball as well. Looking for more touches was given as the reason for looking into travel. But you are on a team already where touches are available but you are not going to practice. Just having the stick in your hand at that age is a good thing. I would make the PAL practice and tell your daughter to help her team. In 3 years some may be in a position to help your daughter.

I doubt it...mom said she is skipping practice because she has already "mastered the skills"...too funny!!! That's some parenting!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that must be some pleasant mom to deal with when her kid is already so advanced. wow.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My friend asked me because we used to play on Elevate but I don't know the answer. Her friend who has a 2019 daughter received an email that she made the team and there was a roster with names stating which girls made the team. Her daughter, I think a 2018 got an email that she made Elevate but that was all that it said and there was no roster with name or numbers. I told her to ask the Director but she wasn't comfortable. Does anyone know why some emails would have a roster and other emails were much more vague? Thanks for the info.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you "used" to play on Elevate, you would know to treat anything Dave does with a great level of caution & Skepticism ....your friend can be sure there is a reason behind the workings of Dave and it more than likely comes down to scamming newbies out of $$.Did the email come with a request to donate to Daves college bus tour?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that must be some pleasant mom to deal with when her kid is already so advanced. wow.

I'm sorry for the nasty responses you get on here. I have a 4th grade daughter also, and -- particularly with little girls -- there is a big disparity right now in abilities. some girls can throw and catch and some girls can't. It's that simple. And for those that can, it's frustrating and will be until the other girls catch up -- which requires effort outside the PAL season which some girls are not willing to put in.

There are some clubs that will let your daughter "play up" if you ask. It's really as simple as asking. Otherwise, you may want to look at certain private academies that offer weekly group training just to keep her challenged and improving her game. I think some clubs offer winter training sessions after the new year where a spot on one of their teams is not necessary.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My friend asked me because we used to play on Elevate but I don't know the answer. Her friend who has a 2019 daughter received an email that she made the team and there was a roster with names stating which girls made the team. Her daughter, I think a 2018 got an email that she made Elevate but that was all that it said and there was no roster with name or numbers. I told her to ask the Director but she wasn't comfortable. Does anyone know why some emails would have a roster and other emails were much more vague? Thanks for the info.

A team / B team?? Perhaps the 2018 made a B team and the roster isn't complete yet. Usually an A already has commitments from returning players, so the roster is much easier to confirm.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry but your friend is a dope if she's not comfortable contacting the club for more details before they plunk down 3K and make a year commitment not to mention the travel expense and time. Not trying to be a smart [lacrosse] but that's ridiculous. If there was no other roster they are waiting to see who accepts but doubtful she made a top team. Director is a very nice person and I'm sure if they sent an email with a request to discuss further they would be more than happy to call her.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm sorry for the nasty responses you get on here. I have a 4th grade daughter also, and -- particularly with little girls -- there is a big disparity right now in abilities. some girls can throw and catch and some girls can't. It's that simple. And for those that can, it's frustrating and will be until the other girls catch up -- which requires effort outside the PAL season which some girls are not willing to put in.

There are some clubs that will let your daughter "play up" if you ask. It's really as simple as asking. Otherwise, you may want to look at certain private academies that offer weekly group training just to keep her challenged and improving her game. I think some clubs offer winter training sessions after the new year where a spot on one of their teams is not necessary.

See, there's an [lacrosse] for every seat. You've found each other-- the 2 parents who's kids are too good at the ripe old age of 9. NUTZ to you both

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry but your friend is a dope if she's not comfortable contacting the club for more details before they plunk down 3K and make a year commitment not to mention the travel expense and time. Not trying to be a smart [lacrosse] but that's ridiculous. If there was no other roster they are waiting to see who accepts but doubtful she made a top team. Director is a very nice person and I'm sure if they sent an email with a request to discuss further they would be more than happy to call her.

Tank you, Mrs. Kotowski for the clarification

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
mousey parents are one of the biggest enablers for these coaches. too uncomfortable (scared) to ask a simple question? you deserve what you get for the money you spend.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Tank you, Mrs. Kotowski for the clarification

Tank you Dope # 2! I said he's a nice guy, he's approachable. Nothing about the club, business practices or anything else.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tanks for the feedback...Hillary is prob a nice person too....and I am guessing approachable...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A team / B team?? Perhaps the 2018 made a B team and the roster isn't complete yet. Usually an A already has commitments from returning players, so the roster is much easier to confirm.

That's a very bad sign! That means there are NOT enough kids to field a team. You need to know the name of every kid offered a spot and how many there are. Don't forget, some kids also wont accept a spot. There are definitely not enough kids. Elevate has pulled that trick before just to get $$$$s in the door. Save your money and go elsewhere or you will be in for a longggg summer. I am sure your daughter deserves better!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you for articulating what I was trying to say. I guess some words can be misinterpreted. Mastered is not a word I should have used. My daughter is young but she knows how to scoop and get ground balls. She can catch and throw lefty and righty well but it's hard to do so in practice when the other girl can't throw and catch.Thank you for your understanding.It gets frustrating to her to chase every errant throw. I totally get the more the girls will play and practice they will be able to do those things also. I understand everyone has to start from the beginning My intent was to get some info from parents that could help my daughter get touches without getting touched in the wallet. I've read on the boards that many clubs would do so. But I'm not into making donations unless tax deductible. I wIll try to get my daughter into some clinics and stick with PAL lax for now. Your right there is no such thing as having enough touches and for her to have the chance to help other girls. Appreciate the feed back.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So your saying that every game you have gone to over the years there wasn't a boy or girl who were better than the others on the field. Cmon. As of right now she's better than most girls her age and down the road my daughter may be the worst or an average player when the others girls catchup in skills.She might even quit to take up art. All I wanted was info so she can practice with kids with the same abilities because this is a sport as of now she likes to do. I'm glad you made yourself feel better by calling us out. Thanks for the info. Real productive.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's a very bad sign! That means there are NOT enough kids to field a team. You need to know the name of every kid offered a spot and how many there are. Don't forget, some kids also wont accept a spot. There are definitely not enough kids. Elevate has pulled that trick before just to get $$$$s in the door. Save your money and go elsewhere or you will be in for a longggg summer. I am sure your daughter deserves better!

If you are concerned about going to Elevate for the reasons that have been stated, there are many options out there for your daughter.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Only one team for this family

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's a way of keeping you on ice while they see how many accept on the top two teams. For what it's worth nobody else does this.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Need insight from those with experience - my 2018 step daughter has a choice of playing fl$ or Team 91, wants away from YJ (no complaints just wants to be with friends). Hearing fl$ is a skeleton squad but need confirmation from a parent. Thanks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Need insight from those with experience - my 2018 step daughter has a choice of playing fl$ or Team 91, wants away from YJ (no complaints just wants to be with friends). Hearing fl$ is a skeleton squad but need confirmation from a parent. Thanks.

Well that clears it up for us...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was told many girls that tried out for elevate and made the B team are not taking spots. Where are most of them going? what club?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
most of them going to the club team your daughters on

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was told many girls that tried out for elevate and made the B team are not taking spots. Where are most of them going? what club?

We are new to travel on the girls side and debating going to elevate tryouts tomorrow. Any input on the club is appreciated. TY

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We are new to travel on the girls side and debating going to elevate tryouts tomorrow. Any input on the club is appreciated. TY

Search the threads under the main forum, there is an elevate thread, you can read many pages of posts to give you a flavor for the club. How accurate is anybody's guess, you will have to figure out between the homers and haters, somewhere in the middle lies the truth. Good luck with which ever club you choose.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so my daughter 'tried out' for 2020 express. they never contact us or anyone else from what I hear since the didn't have enough interest to put a team together. complete rip off to take money for a tryout, don't create a team, don't contact anyone.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Express 2020 was a bust last year too if I remember. Beach B's 2020 would have been a better alternative.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Express 2020 was a bust last year too if I remember.
Beach B's 2020 would have been a better alternative.

My kid tried out there last year for 2020, they weren't able to get enough for a team in the end. That's just plain taking money from people.... swampland sales.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
did they at least refund your $$?
or did that go towards dinner and drinks for the director?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
did they at least refund your $$?
or did that go towards dinner and drinks for the director?

No refund but they at least told us they were having issues teamwise--- I didn't think to ask for a refund (but I should have). I guess I'm getting to accepting of buying them dinner and drinks at every turn. The fact that they don't even answer this year's crop is messed up and just about criminal.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So wrong ....they should return your $$ no questions asked and you SHOULD ask for it back. NONE of the travel programs are held to the standards we would expect from any other business owner. Where's Chuck Shumer when ya need him?
Better yet, one of those local news shows to do an investigation of books and records.
But whatever you do, don't wait till "they get enough players for a team". You will be left out in cold.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That elevate tryout certainly was interesting. I had never met the director before. He definitely was the center of attention. He doesn't stop talking but didn't seem like a great coach. What's his deal? I asked some returning parents about him and got very mixed reviews. They had very negative things to say about the daughter director. We didn't accept the spot there as my daughter thought the kids weren't that good.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What year and what team did you not accept position on?

Like Reply Quote
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard