BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 58 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My son is a 2019 with three schools waiting for other school(s) to make an offer before they do. What the heck do I do?

First thing you should do is come on this site and solicit advice from strangers (mostly idiots) about your sons future. The rest should all fall in to place after that!

This site would be such a fabulous tool for experience sharing and idea exchange if the filter included removing inane posts like this moron. Any chance of making that happen?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is a 2019 with three schools waiting for other school(s) to make an offer before they do. What the heck do I do?

First thing you should do is come on this site and solicit advice from strangers (mostly idiots) about your sons future. The rest should all fall in to place after that!

Wow, I thought this was a lacrosse community. I am pretty sure they can figure out what idiots (please see above post) respond with dumb advice. That has to be some household you run over there, poor kid. Hey good luck to the original poster, let us know how it works out. Not all of us have the handbook to lacrosse scholarships like Mr. Happy above.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well Miss Cleo is dead, so this is the next best place for advice.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Well Miss Cleo is dead, so this is the next best place for advice.

lol

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What we did in this situation was ask our son what his first choice was, call the coach, tell him we are ready to commit and ask what the scholarship will be. If you're happy with the offer, great. If not ask for more or say we need to think about it, then call the other schools and say the same. Good luck!

Be careful playing off one program vs another... Remember, there are 20 kids in line vying for a spot for every major program. If you jerk a college coach around they will drop you in 2 seconds. Usually when things don't go well it is the parent getting in the way.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ask your son if he gets hurt day one and has to spend the next 4 years somewhere and not play lacrosse where would that be. there is your answer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I THOUGHT THAT THIS WAS VERY FUNNY. LIGHTEN UP FRANCINE. YOUR DILEMMA SEEMS TO BE A BIT FICTIONAL ANYWAY

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What we did in this situation was ask our son what his first choice was, call the coach, tell him we are ready to commit and ask what the scholarship will be. If you're happy with the offer, great. If not ask for more or say we need to think about it, then call the other schools and say the same. Good luck!

Be careful playing off one program vs another... Remember, there are 20 kids in line vying for a spot for every major program. If you jerk a college coach around they will drop you in 2 seconds. Usually when things don't go well it is the parent getting in the way.

My advice did not involve jerking anyone around. It's about getting the best possible package for the boy. It's how our family approached it, and everything worked out great.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My advice did not involve jerking anyone around. It's about getting the best possible package for the boy. It's how our family approached it, and everything worked out great.

That and they are all friends and some how know what is an isn't out there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I THOUGHT THAT THIS WAS VERY FUNNY. LIGHTEN UP FRANCINE. YOUR DILEMMA SEEMS TO BE A BIT FICTIONAL ANYWAY

Now your funny too!!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if schools are seriously considering your son, then they will definitely talk numbers with you. It seems he is on a long list of potentials and they are waiting for you to come back to them to say we are interested. not much money to spread-out and if they get you early, then you will get minimal money, but you will get the ability to brag that your son is verbally committed.
I know a lot of kids who went thru this and waited until their sophomore year and now they are getting the actual offers with $$ amounts offered to them

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if schools are seriously considering your son, then they will definitely talk numbers with you. It seems he is on a long list of potentials and they are waiting for you to come back to them to say we are interested. not much money to spread-out and if they get you early, then you will get minimal money, but you will get the ability to brag that your son is verbally committed.
I know a lot of kids who went thru this and waited until their sophomore year and now they are getting the actual offers with $$ amounts offered to them

Absolutely 100 percent wrong .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
then why are there so many kids from 2019 that were given specific $$ amounts

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I heard all of those early 2019 received full scholarships.one even verbally switched teams already, talk about abusing the system for what it is. Totally disrespected one university.Who verbally switches in 3-4 months.not the kid. maybe the school pulled out after seeing him play over the summer and let him look like he did it to make it look good.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I heard all of those early 2019 received full scholarships.one even verbally switched teams already, talk about abusing the system for what it is. Totally disrespected one university.Who verbally switches in 3-4 months.not the kid. maybe the school pulled out after seeing him play over the summer and let him look like he did it to make it look good.

No the school would not back out it had to be the student athlete or family. Everyone has their reasons so please respect what they do. You may not agree but it is what it is

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No full scholarships. Didn't happen. And look at schools that switched from. It's no brainier ! Kid got better offer. Don't blame the kid. Blame the system. Coaches know it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No full scholarships. Didn't happen. And look at schools that switched from. It's no brainier ! Kid got better offer. Don't blame the kid. Blame the system. Coaches know it.

So in reality they sign verbals to have other schools go after them .. This way it looks like they are in high demand. If your parents are in marketing it will help to sell the hype that isn't really there.. So a school like Duke goes up to the kid and says here is more money I want you..the student says show me the money I don't care where I am going . I may not like the school but I like what they are offering. The bottom line is Verbals mean nothing at all. Duke is like any other school and will poach at anytime. There are less ethics at the higher schools and this obviously points that out. Can't wait for someone to defend them and what happened. Believe me the players and families are not innocent either. No one has their hands clean. sad sad sad state of affairs

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So in reality they sign verbals to have other schools go after them .. This way it looks like they are in high demand. If your parents are in marketing it will help to sell the hype that isn't really there.. So a school like Duke goes up to the kid and says here is more money I want you..the student says show me the money I don't care where I am going . I may not like the school but I like what they are offering. The bottom line is Verbals mean nothing at all. Duke is like any other school and will poach at anytime. There are less ethics at the higher schools and this obviously points that out. Can't wait for someone to defend them and what happened. Believe me the players and families are not innocent either. No one has their hands clean. sad sad sad state of affairs

Nothing to do with ethics. People are free to make decisions within the rules.The top kids will have the top offers and the most Zopportunity period. All this other stuff is just noice stemming from jelous and frantic parents.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nothing to do with ethics. People are free to make decisions within the rules.The top kids will have the top offers and the most Zopportunity period. All this other stuff is just noice stemming from jelous and frantic parents.

Or those waiting for the best schools (Ivies) who are not committing kids yet, You are a fool thinking your 25% to a mediocre school is something to brag about. After graduation, your kid will be asking mine for a job!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Or those waiting for the best schools (Ivies) who are not committing kids yet, You are a fool thinking your 25% to a mediocre school is something to brag about. After graduation, your kid will be asking mine for a job!

Nothing to do with ethics . Sure it does.You may not like it then why give a verbal. Trust me parents know what they are teaching their kids. Do you think kids say I'm switching schools and the parents just say ok. They are the ones behind it.Schools such as Duke are very guilty themselves. I would like to know what Duke has to say about this . They can't deny that they were initiating contact after the verbal was given. People needs to be called out or at least explain how these things happen. It stinks when people do this to my old school

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can someone explain to me please . If you sign a verbal, the athlete should not be contacted by another school and vise versa? Otherwise what does a verbal mean? Is it just for the kid to say he is going to a school and actually means absolutely nothing???

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can someone explain to me please . If you sign a verbal, the athlete should not be contacted by another school and vise versa? Otherwise what does a verbal mean? Is it just for the kid to say he is going to a school and actually means absolutely nothing???

You don't "sign" a verbal. A verbal is exactly what it is. A "verbal agreement", a.k.a. a "handshake agreement". There is nothing binding or official about it in the eyes of the NCAA or the admissions departments at schools. It is a non-binding verbal agreement between coach and player/family. Nothing becomes formal until the NLI (National Letter of Intent) is signed in November (or April in the case of a spring signing) of senior year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Verbal means exactly that...Nothing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You don't "sign" a verbal. Think about that. And means nothing. Schools still contact the players. Kids still contact the schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"It means nothing". Really?? . Spoken like parents who's son is not even remotely on anyone's radar as the heavy early recruiting season comes to an end. Recognized and rewarded for all the time, effort and money dedicated by both the player and their family over the years is certainly not nothing. Beyond the limited dollars towards a great education because so few verbals are broken by the school it means.. work ethic, commitment, purpose, leadership, dedication, community, spirit, accountability etc etc If and only if you and your family get invited to "the process" and spend and entire day with the coaches and academic advisors, will you appreciate the magnitude of the opportunity. I Promise you there is not one family who has received a "verbal" over the years who thinks it's "nothing"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nice post you pompous a**. Not every kid has the grades to get into an IVY and not every kid has ACC size or talent. This whole process is about finding the right fit for your kid academically and athletically. If a kid gets a big offer from a "mediocre" school, that affords him the opportunity to use his four years to do very well in school, graduate with little or no debt and get himself into a better grad school, plus play 4 years of D1 lax. Oh and not to mention that in todays day and age going to an IVY doesnt guarantee you some amazing job like it used to, so dont start counting your kids six figure salary just yet.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"It means nothing". Really?? . Spoken like parents who's son is not even remotely on anyone's radar as the heavy early recruiting season comes to an end. Recognized and rewarded for all the time, effort and money dedicated by both the player and their family over the years is certainly not nothing. Beyond the limited dollars towards a great education because so few verbals are broken by the school it means.. work ethic, commitment, purpose, leadership, dedication, community, spirit, accountability etc etc If and only if you and your family get invited to "the process" and spend and entire day with the coaches and academic advisors, will you appreciate the magnitude of the opportunity. I Promise you there is not one family who has received a "verbal" over the years who thinks it's "nothing"

As someone who was a college athlete and as a parent of one son who just completed 4 years as a college athlete at an Ivy, I find your post very offensive.

All that dedication, hard work and commitment...through 8th or 9th grade? Seriously?

Let me drop a little perspective on you. 90%+ of non revenue college athletics is mental resolve. The stands at most games aren't full. Training and travel schedules are demanding and really cut into a kid's academic and social life. To show you are remotely prepared for that and deserve a shot I think kids show show some endurance in their high school years. Grow mentally and physically through your junior year, show a good academic record, show how you can juggle something other than lacrosse...summer jobs, music or arts endeavors, student newspaper...something. I know this ship has sailed for lacrosse. I can say these coaches recruiting 14, 15 year olds will be burned more often than rewarded, but that will take some more time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I thought they were joining the Boy Scouts . I think the point here is that verbals are broken left and right. The kids do it for their ego and the parents for their bigger ego. 99% of the kids don't have a clue at this point unless they are a holdback for a few years. Just not good when you switch within 3 months in schools . You mock the system by panicking a few months ago. Have confidence from the beginning and your kid will be fine. Panicking might have ruined it for a bunch of other kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Means nothing , meaning not binding. If your kid can get in to Harvard and play , you still sending to NJIT because he said he was before he went in to HS?? No. And Duke will take best Fogo in country even if they have 4 others committed at that position. That's reality. And chance of coach being there 5 years later ? Who knows. Lot of movement this year. That seems to give all parties an out. Don't blame the kids, blame the coaches. They have created this recruiting issue!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Moron. Maybe you and your son should go back to college so that you can better comprehend perspective. Should we not celebrate my daughters award winning essays and straight A's in 5th grade because she is only 10 yr's old? It's all relative but that's obvious for most people. Now you can go back to spewing your negative energy to everyone you come in contact with today. Feel bad for your family.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Moron. Maybe you and your son should go back to college so that you can better comprehend perspective. Should we not celebrate my daughters award winning essays and straight A's in 5th grade because she is only 10 yr's old? It's all relative but that's obvious for most people. Now you can go back to spewing your negative energy to everyone you come in contact with today. Feel bad for your family.

Computer geek.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
But rarely do lacrosse programs rescind a verbal.. If that were not the case then I would agree a verbal would literally mean nothing i.e. Jim Harbaugh..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Re: upcoming NCAA Early Recruiting vote for lacrosse
I find it vile that the IWLCA and IMCLA proposals want to limit phone and written contact between coaches and potential recruits, BUT it will still be ok to make contact at camps and clinics.
This is the classic "pay to play" scenario. Attend camp at XYZ University for $1000 and you MIGHT be invited to sit down with the coach afterwards. If you don't attend the camp, then you have to sit and wait until 9/1 junior year to talk to the coach directly. All the while, your club coach will have the ability to talk to coaches on your behalf, making them absolutely vital to the process (and thus able to charge exorbitant fees for their services).
Everyone "makes out" in this scenario but the players and their families.
If the college coaches truly want to limit all early recruiting, then they need to dump ALL of the loopholes, INCLUDING the ones that put money in their pockets. THEN we could all take them seriously.
Let's not forget, it was the college coaches themselves that started this whole early recruiting insanity.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is how the assistant make their money.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They might not rescind, but if they don't want you anymore they will make it very clear. You can still come here, but you will never see the field.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He did say "magnitude of the opportunity" not magnitude of the "accomplishment". Huge difference as these kids now have something like you described to work towards. Congrats to all the family's who have recieved verbals. We are hoping to be included in that group soon. Exciting times.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think for me when my son verballed it meant several things:

1. It was a validation of all my sons hard work and effort throughout the years, not to mention the time and sacrifices he made along the way

2. It was nice to have a D1 coach, a professional at his craft tell my son that he was a very good player and a kid who the coach would love to have in his program, it wasnt Ty Xanders or some irrelevant blogger saying it.

3. I think for my son it was a huge sigh of relief that the pressure he was feeling was off and he could just go out and play and enjoy himself. For me obviously it was a huge relief knowing that my son has a spot and is going to have a great opportunity to do some pretty amazing things once he gets to school.

Those are just my thoughts, I understand that at this point until he signs his NLI it is just a verbal agreement and either side can decided that its not the right fit, although for the most part college coaches will honor their verbals. For my son at this point he is completely happy with his decision and unless a significantly better offer comes along he will be staying put. IMHO the only reasons to decommit and verbal to a different school would be a significant upgrade in the academic standing of the school, or for some kids they decide they would rather play D3 and not deal with the pressures of D1. Just my two cents and my experience with this process so far.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
After our $50k club lax investment, my kid will be getting $5k to to a college that she couldn't normally get in to and isn't prepared to attend so she will be taking basket weaving as a major. She will then commit 6+ hours a day to the team where she will be #30 on the roster. She will quit by her Junior year to enjoy her last 2 college years and take advantage of internships and other things she had been missing out on. These are the stories that no one ever talks about.

Don't push, let the process play out maybe Club and D3 is a better fit for your daughter on the field and academically. Except for the top handful of kids most of our girls and very good but not great... need to embrace that

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Computer geek.

And the nerd wants to go out with any heldback Lax Bro.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
After our $50k club lax investment, my kid will be getting $5k to to a college that she couldn't normally get in to and isn't prepared to attend so she will be taking basket weaving as a major. She will then commit 6+ hours a day to the team where she will be #30 on the roster. She will quit by her Junior year to enjoy her last 2 college years and take advantage of internships and other things she had been missing out on. These are the stories that no one ever talks about.

Don't push, let the process play out maybe Club and D3 is a better fit for your daughter on the field and academically. Except for the top handful of kids most of our girls and very good but not great... need to embrace that

Please dont burst mine and thousands others like me Bubble!
I am intent on spending thousands upon thousands to somehow get my child that sacred verbal to a D1 school and the Holy Grail of a Ty Xanders shout out!

Like Reply Quote
Page 18 of 58 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard