BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,621
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Boys 2018-10th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
As a 2018 player, I'm having a tough time choosing between which team I should play for, I couldn't make the decision myself so I'm seeing what everyone else says

Do I play with the team I was supposed to play on, 91? Or do I go in for a workout and possibly play for jesters?

Seeing if this helps

This is not a 10th grade kid posting this...

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
But other than those 2 teams I have talked to express and recon. But I'll tell you about it soon.
But other than those 2 teams I have talked to express and recon. But I'll tell you about it soon.

Recon's 2018 Zulu team is well coached and very competitive.

Haven't seen at one A tournament ever!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This thread has died, I found it at the end of the second page. No posts for two plus months.

With many of the top 2018 players already committed I look forward to watching these current sophomores compete as Varsity players for their schools. Spring season is my favorite since players get to play for their classmates and school to win a championship. It is much better than the selfish play we see at club and prospect events.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sophomores in HS are old news, and the juniors and seniors are no news! With half of the D1 2018's committed, not much to chirp about. Parents realize that once their kids are in HS all the silly talk about which club is better is no longer important. The summer showcase events with no championship game become meaningless for a lot of the kids. The always divisive holdback controversy has run its course at this point. Just not much to say!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This thread has died, I found it at the end of the second page. No posts for two plus months.

With many of the top 2018 players already committed I look forward to watching these current sophomores compete as Varsity players for their schools. Spring season is my favorite since players get to play for their classmates and school to win a championship. It is much better than the selfish play we see at club and prospect events.

Hate to say it, but some of us prefer club. Some schools teams are just painful.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Sophomores in HS are old news, and the juniors and seniors are no news! With half of the D1 2018's committed, not much to chirp about. Parents realize that once their kids are in HS all the silly talk about which club is better is no longer important. The summer showcase events with no championship game become meaningless for a lot of the kids. The always divisive holdback controversy has run its course at this point. Just not much to say! [/quote

A good deal of what you say is true, but it should be noted that there are 2400 2016-17 recruits listed on Laxpowet and only 760 2017-18. So still much recruiting going on. These are the kids who developed later, but maybe better.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can anyone please chime in on thoughts on whether top D1 schools are done with 2018s. My son is a 3 sport varsity athlete (football/basketball lax) and is big and fast. Plays defense in lax and is just starting to focus more on lax. He would love to get some looks from top programs but not sure if they are even looking....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can anyone please chime in on thoughts on whether top D1 schools are done with 2018s. My son is a 3 sport varsity athlete (football/basketball lax) and is big and fast. Plays defense in lax and is just starting to focus more on lax. He would love to get some looks from top programs but not sure if they are even looking....

No school is done (for the right kid). The thing that you have to figure out is: How do you get your son in front of the coaches?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No school is done (for the right kid). The thing that you have to figure out is: How do you get your son in front of the coaches?

What does the HS Coach say? They are supposed to help. Does he play club ball? Maybe he should.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What does the HS Coach say? They are supposed to help. Does he play club ball? Maybe he should.

Most college teams are 50%-60% done for 2018s. You had the can't miss kids picked up in 9th and a few this past summer and fall. Now the majority of spots for 2018s will be filling up. The better academic schools are still looking like the Ivy's and Patriot League.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any advice for parents (my friends) of a 2018 middie who wants to play in college and has good grades, in terms of sorting through the various Summer showcases and how to position himself for Fall showcases? I know invites to the big ones have come and gone (Black Card, JR Blue Chip, Maverick Showtime).

At 5'9", not D1 size (unless he's moved to attack), but he's an extremely good player. Non-hotbed. Loves his travel team, but, although they talk the talk, we know enough that their tournaments aren't really recruiting tournaments. We are on a budget, so don't want to send him to worthless showcases due to our ignorance.

Thanks in advance.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any advice for parents (my friends) of a 2018 middie who wants to play in college and has good grades, in terms of sorting through the various Summer showcases and how to position himself for Fall showcases? I know invites to the big ones have come and gone (Black Card, JR Blue Chip, Maverick Showtime).

At 5'9", not D1 size (unless he's moved to attack), but he's an extremely good player. Non-hotbed. Loves his travel team, but, although they talk the talk, we know enough that their tournaments aren't really recruiting tournaments. We are on a budget, so don't want to send him to worthless showcases due to our ignorance.

Thanks in advance.

One son Playing high D3 the other D1 Commit.
First thing is to get some quality video together, this is a place to use your resources. Make sure you show him shooting on the run, getting down the allies left and right if he has that footage. Very important skill for a college middie. Time and room shot are less important. Also any dodges from behind are great too. Also show some good defensive plays and finally, plays that show his speed.
Next, target the schools he wants to go to. Cast a wide net, it's not easy to earn a spot. Start emailing Coaches with your interest in those schools. Include video on every email. Coaches watch video. Let the coaches know your schedule and where you'll be playing.
Have your travel or HS Coach reach out to your top targets on his behalf. If he's as good as you say, they should have no problem doing this for him.
After all this, hopefully you have 5 or 6 schools that are interested. These are the schools who's prospect days you should attend. Hopefully they have seen your video, talked to you, your son or his coach. They should know he's going to be there. Attending cold is a crap shoot at best.
This is the road map I used for both my boys, we had the advantage of playing on good travel teams at high level events. Mine also did top camps. That being said, I think it can be done the way I said above. If he's really good, don't discount some D1 programs. Speed and skill trump all!
Hope that helps...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks in advance.

One son who was a D1 commit this past fall.

I would echo the last posters comments. Email correspondence with your schools of choice is key, especially with video. My son did all the big showcases and plays for a very good club team with a supportive coach and a very good high school team with a great coach. The school he is committed to showed interest after he sent video and emailed. Club and high school coach followed up and the school showed interest. We went to prospect day and my son had a great day and three days later we got an email from his high school coach saying they wanted him there for a visit. Long story short, he went on the visit, sat with the coaches and decided to commit to the school. Best advice I can give you is avoid the money grab camps, dont discount the mid to lower ranked D1 schools and also dont discount D3 as well. Some great lacrosse being played at the higher end of D3 and there are some very good academic schools as well. Biggest thing is to take advantage of every opportunity in front of the coaches. Best of luck......

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks in advance.

I would echo the last posters comments. Email correspondence with your schools of choice is key, especially with video. My son did all the big showcases and plays for a very good club team with a supportive coach and a very good high school team with a great coach. The school he is committed to showed interest after he sent video and emailed. Club and high school coach followed up and the school showed interest. We went to prospect day and my son had a great day and three days later we got an email from his high school coach saying they wanted him there for a visit. Long story short, he went on the visit, sat with the coaches and decided to commit to the school. Best advice I can give you is avoid the money grab camps, dont discount the mid to lower ranked D1 schools and also dont discount D3 as well. Some great lacrosse being played at the higher end of D3 and there are some very good academic schools as well. Biggest thing is to take advantage of every opportunity in front of the coaches. Best of luck......

At this age, now the top players have comitted, this is phase 3. 1 and 2 were the last 2 summers. You now must target the schools your son wants to go (over play for) and go to those Propect days. Follow up those Propect days with video. Lotsa opportunity out there, but the coaches are less likely to notice your son while sitting under a folding chair at showcase. The showcase coaches are more focused on the 19s and 20s. That's my opinion as I have a 2018er that is uncommitted. Right now he is trying to decide between D2 and 3, but looking more at the college experience.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks in advance.

First thing is to get some quality video together, this is a place to use your resources. Make sure you show him shooting on the run, getting down the allies left and right if he has that footage. Very important skill for a college middie. Time and room shot are less important. Also any dodges from behind are great too. Also show some good defensive plays and finally, plays that show his speed.
Next, target the schools he wants to go to. Cast a wide net, it's not easy to earn a spot. Start emailing Coaches with your interest in those schools. Include video on every email. Coaches watch video. Let the coaches know your schedule and where you'll be playing.
Have your travel or HS Coach reach out to your top targets on his behalf. If he's as good as you say, they should have no problem doing this for him.
After all this, hopefully you have 5 or 6 schools that are interested. These are the schools who's prospect days you should attend. Hopefully they have seen your video, talked to you, your son or his coach. They should know he's going to be there. Attending cold is a crap shoot at best.
This is the road map I used for both my boys, we had the advantage of playing on good travel teams at high level events. Mine also did top camps. That being said, I think it can be done the way I said above. If he's really good, don't discount some D1 programs. Speed and skill trump all!
Hope that helps...

Great advice - what is the time table for the High D3's with respect to verbal commitments? Summer between Sophomore and Junior year? Thanks

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks in advance.

At this age, now the top players have comitted, this is phase 3. 1 and 2 were the last 2 summers. You now must target the schools your son wants to go (over play for) and go to those Propect days. Follow up those Propect days with video. Lotsa opportunity out there, but the coaches are less likely to notice your son while sitting under a folding chair at showcase. The showcase coaches are more focused on the 19s and 20s. That's my opinion as I have a 2018er that is uncommitted. Right now he is trying to decide between D2 and 3, but looking more at the college experience.

I agree with most of what your saying. However there are many D1 schools that are just starting to look at 2018s and there are a lot of spots still open. I wouldnt give up on D1 if I were your son, still plenty of opportunity left if thats what he wants. Plenty of great academic and lacrosse schools at the D2 and D3 level as well. Best of luck

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks in advance.

Hope that helps...

Great advice - what is the time table for the High D3's with respect to verbal commitments? Summer between Sophomore and Junior year? Thanks

Typically summer from Junior to Senior year, although because there is no restriction on contact for D3, the process can start a little sooner. The better academic D3s will want GPAs and test scores so going into senior year gives them a more complete picture.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks in advance.

"If you are a good player the college coaches will find you."

There is no need to play elsewhere or do anything that we do not control

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks in advance.

"If you are a good player the college coaches will find you."

There is no need to play elsewhere or do anything that we do not control

Obviously a sarcastic response. Could not be farther from the truth, especially in today's ultra competitive recruiting environment. If some dinosaur HS Coach ever says this to you or your son, run the other way. Quickly.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks in advance.

REALLY!! "At this age," the top players have committed? Says who?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks in advance.

Recruiting Rundown ranked the top players in the class and most are committed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks in advance.

Recruiting Rundown ranked the top players in the class and most are committed.

Do yourself and your son a favor, listen up. This came from a top 20 coach we met with. He and his staff have taken the time to analyze a few of those lists from few years back. I'm paraphrasing here, but basically he said you'd be shocked at the number of kids who were on those lists that aren't playing anymore, transferred to another school, or are buried on depth chart. He said you'd also be amazed at how FEW became All-Americans in College. Point is, most All Americans were never even ranked. Now, I think you now know the value of those lists. It's also the reason why, Duke, Hop, UVA, UNC are shells of their former selves. None are in the top ten and one is not ranked. Now go get those lists from a few years ago and see how many of those "top" players are on those teams. Then look on the teams like Albany, Towson and others who are all ranked higher and guess what? They have far fewer "top" players from those lists.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks in advance.

Ty Xanders did, so obviously it must be true. Cmon get with the program

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pat Spencer from Loyola who is leading among freshman did not grow until junior year. If you watched last nights army Loyola game they mentioned he was very small physically freshman sohpmore years. So wasn't looked at until senior year. Early recruiting at its best right?? Many kids I know are very good lax players in 18s and 19s but are being passed over because they haven't matured physically. Many teams if they hold out will benefit from this.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are 70 D1 schools and there appears to be approximately 400 kids verbally commited in the 2018 class at this time. There easily is more than 300 D1 spots remaining.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks in advance.

I agree with most of what your saying. However there are many D1 schools that are just starting to look at 2018s and there are a lot of spots still open. I wouldnt give up on D1 if I were your son, still plenty of opportunity left if thats what he wants. Plenty of great academic and lacrosse schools at the D2 and D3 level as well. Best of luck

What schools havnt looked at 2018's yet?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks in advance.

Plenty of low level D1 and D2/D3 schools would have room for an academically viable good to very good D1 prospect. We ar not talking Duke or Hop, but more "normal" schools. And there are plenty of them. Hartford, Marist, many others.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most of the America East, MAAC, NEC, SOCON and Atlantic Sun conference teams recruit later, meaning this summer up to fall of senior year. You never know if an earlier recruiting team has a need all of the sudden. Syracuse needed a face off guy a few years ago and saw the FOGO from Massapequa during the high school playoffs. Kid was senior already committed and accepted to D3 Connecticut College. He wound up at Syracuse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks in advance.

Plenty of low level D1 and D2/D3 schools would have room for an academically viable good to very good D1 prospect. We ar not talking Duke or Hop, but more "normal" schools. And there are plenty of them. Hartford, Marist, many others.

Not sure where you get your info, but even the non minor D1 schools are still looking at 2018.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Drexel are just starting their 2017s. Most of the America East have maybe 2 or 3 2018s and thats it. The Ivies arent full by any stretch. Plenty of opportunity left for 2018s.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Drexal coach is an advocate against early recruiting. He is one of very few who stay true to his word.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so where are the top tourneys this year. at this point of the game is it still competitive or is it all about being showcased. just wondering. really enjoy watching good lax. seen a lot of good battles in this group.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The UA team for 2018 is just as bad as all the other years. Why bother?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LOL. Madlax 2018 won Big 4 last weekend, but cheated. They used a Madlax 2017 kid who is "thinking" about possibly doing a PG year, and he played on their team. The kid is rising senior.

They should forfeit all their wins. Typical scumbag move by Madlax.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At Crabfeast this weekend, Madlax 2018 will include a 2017 kid who is thinking abut doing a PG year. Not sure, but thinking about it.

Think about that when your team plays Madlax 2018 this weekend.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Doesn't your kid play High School lacrosse? I am sure there are 2017s on the opposing teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Doesn't your kid play High School lacrosse? I am sure there are 2017s on the opposing teams.

Ok, Madlax dad. We are not talking about spring HS lacrosse. For recruiting tournaments, we want to see kids of the same grade playing one another.

You are in for a surprise this weekend. All weekend long, parents of the team you face will be asking you why you have a 2017 kid on your team. Get your excuses ready.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok, Madlax dad. We are not talking about spring HS lacrosse. For recruiting tournaments, we want to see kids of the same grade playing one another.

You are in for a surprise this weekend. All weekend long, parents of the team you face will be asking you why you have a 2017 kid on your team. Get your excuses ready.

at this age, there isn't any difference between rising juniors and seniors. they are all classified as HS, grad year means absolutely nothing.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

At Big4 tourney several of the Fighting Clams kids were wearing their uniforms which clearly had 2017 on the back of the pinneys. Why does this surprise everyone? At this point it really doesnt matter, HS lax is HS lax at this point. When they play in HS only tourneys all the age groups are mixed anyway

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So it's ok for a 2017 kid to play on a 2018 team because he might PG a year after he graduates in spring 2017?

Not ok in my book. Their 2018 win last weekend is disqualified in my book.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard