BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,292
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 70 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 69 70
Re: Greater Howard Club Lacrosse Conference (HoCo)
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
HoCo is also sponsored by MYLA (Maryland Youth Lacrosse Association) so HoCo is not 100% in charge of the league. The US Lax rule listed above only means that if the oldest kid on the team is in 8th grade, then they have to play in the 8th grade division. This allows 7th graders to play up but not allow the 8th grader to play down. If it's grade based then there is no reason for birth dates to come into the equation. Can we put this issue to bed now? Grade based, period. Get good with it or find another league.

Sounds like the powers to be at HoCo have found this message board.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interesting, go grab some popcorn...

---

The commissioner of the HOCO league emailed the club owners in the recent weeks a few times. In the first notice, the HOCO commissioner noted this US Lacrosse rule for 2016 in regards to grade based teams:

US Lacrosse has, for 2016, in "Age & Eligibility guidelines" the following:
"Grade-based competition: For leagues or associations in which some or all teams choose to organize by grade, those should be single-grade teams and should play in the age division determined by the oldest player on their roster'

------

If this is true, and they hold to that, it will implode the Elite division. Personally, I'm all for out and would support it 100%!

If it's true Say goodbye to crabs

That's funny. That email is a fabrication.

The Director of HOCO has done no such thing.

How do you know with such certainty? Just curious.

Probably is the Director-that's how.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes he did. i emailed and got a response that it is authentic. seems like ryan is out trolling this site.

It's not Ryan that is trolling. The so called email from the HOCO director never happened. Schedules come out this week. Yeesh

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes he did. i emailed and got a response that it is authentic. seems like ryan is out trolling this site.

It's not Ryan that is trolling. The so called email from the HOCO director never happened. Schedules come out this week. Yeesh

He can't troll or pick up a go himself.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This discussion is ridiculous. If you don't like the rules don't play in the league. It is that simple.

But that begs the question, what rules are they following? Are they going to be guided by the US Lacrosse guidelines or just ignore them and do whatever they want. From what I am seeing, it seems they are just saying it is grade base and if you have a 16 year old 8th grader on your team, that's ok.
But perhaps it shouldn't be ok, having older 15 and some 16 year olds playing against 13 and 14 year olds is not, as they say, a level playing field. HOCO Club league isn't or appears to be non responsive to what rules/guidelines they are following.
Perhaps the Commissioner, Derrick Thompson isn't familiar with suggested guidelines or maybe the club coaches are really running the league. Who knows.

It doesn't beg any question. The league has grade based divisions, just like almost every single tournament the kids play in. USL provides guidelines, which up til recently, still suggested the U-9, U-11, U-13 model. The fact is, they are just recommendations. No one has ever said that USL is ahead of the curve when it comes to actually governing the sport of lacrosse.

The fact is, grade based teams are here to stay. All the crying and whining that is done here will not change anything. Emailing the Director of HOCO won't accomplish anything. All clubs are built this way now. The only one's bitching are the parents. Ask your club owner what their policy is on holdbacks. I defy anyone here to find a club owner that would tell you they would force an older kid to play down a grade level with kids his age.

People complain about it because Crabs has more holdbacks than everyone else. But they all have holdbacks, so like the saying goes, YOU CAN'T BE A LITTLE BIT PREGNANT.

Yes but I bet the majority of teams can still field a strong 8th grade (2020) team if their "holdbacks" can't play. Can Crabs?

And I bet you that if the rules changed next year and that holdbacks were forced to play with their age, Crabs would still have the best teams. The best players from the other teams would show up to Crabs tryouts just like the 200 kids that show up for 8th grade every year.

Don't act like Crabs didn't dominate when everything was age based. The rules don't matter. Whatever they are, Crabs will always get the best kids in accordance with the rules.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Crabs arrogance is great. Loonies 2020 has owned crabs for years. FCA 2018 has beat Crabs 3x to 1 lose. Bethesda 2021 has beat Crabs nearly every time. They have marketed themselves well and put alot of money into their program and were more respected years ago for putting great all star teams together. They have lost alot of credibility over past 3-4 years because of their shift in Philosophy that older means better. Therefore, encouraging holdbacks and heavily weighting their 8th grade teams and high school teams to be majority older kids. They use to be respected a bit more before that became their secret sauce. From a coaching perspective there many teams with better staff. I would say only 1 Crabs team will win HOCO league from 5th grade up. That's not exactly dominate but let's circle back in June and see who's the top club.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This discussion is ridiculous. If you don't like the rules don't play in the league. It is that simple.

But that begs the question, what rules are they following? Are they going to be guided by the US Lacrosse guidelines or just ignore them and do whatever they want. From what I am seeing, it seems they are just saying it is grade base and if you have a 16 year old 8th grader on your team, that's ok.
But perhaps it shouldn't be ok, having older 15 and some 16 year olds playing against 13 and 14 year olds is not, as they say, a level playing field. HOCO Club league isn't or appears to be non responsive to what rules/guidelines they are following.
Perhaps the Commissioner, Derrick Thompson isn't familiar with suggested guidelines or maybe the club coaches are really running the league. Who knows.

It doesn't beg any question. The league has grade based divisions, just like almost every single tournament the kids play in. USL provides guidelines, which up til recently, still suggested the U-9, U-11, U-13 model. The fact is, they are just recommendations. No one has ever said that USL is ahead of the curve when it comes to actually governing the sport of lacrosse.

The fact is, grade based teams are here to stay. All the crying and whining that is done here will not change anything. Emailing the Director of HOCO won't accomplish anything. All clubs are built this way now. The only one's bitching are the parents. Ask your club owner what their policy is on holdbacks. I defy anyone here to find a club owner that would tell you they would force an older kid to play down a grade level with kids his age.

People complain about it because Crabs has more holdbacks than everyone else. But they all have holdbacks, so like the saying goes, YOU CAN'T BE A LITTLE BIT PREGNANT.

Yes but I bet the majority of teams can still field a strong 8th grade (2020) team if their "holdbacks" can't play. Can Crabs?

And I bet you that if the rules changed next year and that holdbacks were forced to play with their age, Crabs would still have the best teams. The best players from the other teams would show up to Crabs tryouts just like the 200 kids that show up for 8th grade every year.

Don't act like Crabs didn't dominate when everything was age based. The rules don't matter. Whatever they are, Crabs will always get the best kids in accordance with the rules.

Really? you think so? I thought the age based Crabs looked like they could get beat by other teams besides the one they lost to on ESPN. Playing aged based really is a game changer for them. You take away the older kids and they are good, but not great. There are many good teams if age based were the rule.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Really? you think so? I thought the age based Crabs looked like they could get beat by other teams besides the one they lost to on ESPN. Playing aged based really is a game changer for them. You take away the older kids and they are good, but not great. There are many good teams if age based were the rule.

You are missing my point. Of course if you take the older kids off the current team they are not as good. My point is, if they had put the 2020 team together based on the WSYL rules, those spots that are taken by older kids would have other talented kids that were on age. There are so many kids that get cut that go star for other clubs. Just saying that they got their butts beat by Crush because they had to use their kids on age is stupid. Have you ever been to a Crabs tryout?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again..arrogance of Crabs parent that is clueless. Many star players on other clubs are better then Crabs top players as well. Have watched Crabs many times and collectively they w r very strong team because older. But many individuals are good but not great. And they have 2-3 very weak players that somebody's dad knew somebody. Pretty standard with most clubs. If your logic made sense then Crabs would have bear Loonies by 10 but they had to come back from behind in win by 2. Look around another website besides Crabs and you see many 2018, 2019 kids from other clubs are signed with top schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again..arrogance of Crabs parent that is clueless. Many star players on other clubs are better then Crabs top players as well. Have watched Crabs many times and collectively they w r very strong team because older. But many individuals are good but not great. And they have 2-3 very weak players that somebody's dad knew somebody. Pretty standard with most clubs. If your logic made sense then Crabs would have bear Loonies by 10 but they had to come back from behind in win by 2. Look around another website besides Crabs and you see many 2018, 2019 kids from other clubs are signed with top schools.

And you are clueless if you really don't think that kids on Looneys, FCA, etc don't come to Crabs tryouts and get cut. Also, I never said that other clubs don't have good players, but the notion that Crabs would struggle if they changed the rules to age based is silly.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You'll never see a Loonies kid at Crabs tryout. Loonies FOGO came up from FL and tried out for 3 teams...didn't tryout for Crabs. He is considered by many the best FOGO in country and beats Crabs at face off 70% of time. FCA Kelly's never tried out for Crabs. They are some of best attackman and middies in state consistently. List goes on and on. Actually many of Crabs players have been cherry picked from other programs because they r asked to repeat 8th grade. Like I said...another brainwashed, clueless Crab parent who thinks they are the only game in town....NOT.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Saw the Crabs 2020 team today at BL. Players mingling with Hawks and 91 players. It is laughable to see the age/maturity/facial hair of the Crabs players vs. the other 2020 players. Briefly spoke to Crabs parent about their line up. He had no qualms at telling me the majority of the starting line up are reclassed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He has no qualms telling you that because you cant hide the truth. Best 9th grade team in 8th grade.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Saw the Crabs 2020 team today at BL. Players mingling with Hawks and 91 players. It is laughable to see the age/maturity/facial hair of the Crabs players vs. the other 2020 players. Briefly spoke to Crabs parent about their line up. He had no qualms at telling me the majority of the starting line up are reclassed.

Was there a tournament at BL today?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You'll never see a Loonies kid at Crabs tryout. Loonies FOGO came up from FL and tried out for 3 teams...didn't tryout for Crabs. He is considered by many the best FOGO in country and beats Crabs at face off 70% of time. FCA Kelly's never tried out for Crabs. They are some of best attackman and middies in state consistently. List goes on and on. Actually many of Crabs players have been cherry picked from other programs because they r asked to repeat 8th grade. Like I said...another brainwashed, clueless Crab parent who thinks they are the only game in town....NOT.

Funny there were so many orange helmets at Crabs tryouts this year.

And FCAs best 2019 defenseman moved to Crabs this year. Really not sure what your point was, but you are completely wrong. I guess I'm clueless though.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And Crabs played games against just Rock and Philly Freedom. Who set up that schedule? Not fair to those teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I really don't understand why some people spend so much time on forums speaking out about a team they have nothing to do with. The funny thing is that many kids on 91, Crabs, FCA, etc are really good friends and don't seem to care about reclassers. Maybe some of the lunatic parents should take a page from their kids and just relax and enjoy the ride.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You'll never see a Loonies kid at Crabs tryout.

Logan Wisnaukas, attackman for Crabs 2016 (and Syracuse commit) used to play for Looney's.

Guess you everything. NOT.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I really don't understand why some people spend so much time on forums speaking out about a team they have nothing to do with. The funny thing is that many kids on 91, Crabs, FCA, etc are really good friends and don't seem to care about reclassers. Maybe some of the lunatic parents should take a page from their kids and just relax and enjoy the ride.

A lot of kids care about reclassers. They think it's cheating.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hawks 2020 Play Day:
Hawks Green over Philly Freedom
91 MD Force over Hawks and Rock
Crabs over Rock and Philly Freedom

FCA Blue dropped out last minute.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah - Scrimmages between Crabs, Hawks, 91MD, FCA, Rock, & Freedom 2020s. Anyone have details on how the teams did?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And FCAs best 2019 defenseman moved to Crabs this year. Really not sure what your point was, but you are completely wrong. I guess I'm clueless though.

The above statement is completely false.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is not only the fault of RM and the parents who allow their kids to reclass but all the parents who knowingly allow their kids to play for and pay an organization that encourages kids to do this. You are all just as guilty and as much of a sell out as the parents who reclass their kids. Until you stop funding a club just so your kids looks better by surrounding themselves with holdbacks and possibly hurting another's child, this will not stop. You are also guilty, lack character and sportsmanship.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The above statement is completely false.

Neither statement is false. There were plenty of Looneys kids at crabs tryouts this year. And the best long pole from FCA Blue 2019 moved to Crabs this year. You can check the rosters and see his write up from Jake Reed last year. He's now with Crabs.

Which statement do you consider false?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not sure why you'd let your kid play for the Crabs unless they are held back a year or two. First, if they are playing in the younger youth teams they will probably get cut and replaced by holdbacks come 7/8th gr. Second, once the holdbacks come, they take the starting line up spots, leaving on age kids at a deficit until they hit puberty a yr or two later. I still can't get over some of the cuts that took place after the WSYL game. I don't know the kids personally, but had seen the kids play many times on tournaments. Seems like such a slap in the face. Isn't that a huge red flag for parents? Many clubs have strong ties to colleges and are far more respected. If your kid is talented and plays for a good club, he will get recruited. Crabs don't have a magical formula, they just play younger kids so they stand out. So, yes, I do wonder why families woukd chose a club that doesn't have kids' best interest at heart.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In typical Crabs fashion they played Rock and Freedom. Of course RM doesn't put his team up against the better opponents unless he has to. I assume they beat both handily. Saw Hawks v. 91. 7-4 91. Evenly matched - 91 looked better. These two teams have gone tit for tat over the years. Good game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not sure why you'd let your kid play for the Crabs unless they are held back a year or two. First, if they are playing in the younger youth teams they will probably get cut and replaced by holdbacks come 7/8th gr. Second, once the holdbacks come, they take the starting line up spots, leaving on age kids at a deficit until they hit puberty a yr or two later. I still can't get over some of the cuts that took place after the WSYL game. I don't know the kids personally, but had seen the kids play many times on tournaments. Seems like such a slap in the face. Isn't that a huge red flag for parents? Many clubs have strong ties to colleges and are far more respected. If your kid is talented and plays for a good club, he will get recruited. Crabs don't have a magical formula, they just play younger kids so they stand out. So, yes, I do wonder why families woukd chose a club that doesn't have kids' best interest at heart.

Maybe because my son loves his teammates and really has fun playing for Crabs? Is that not a good enough reason? He's the one busting his [lacrosse] to be on the team and get PT, not me. Seems to me that everyone on here is much more concerned with themselves than their children. To each his own, but at the end of the day, my son is playing where he wants to play and the fact that he may have to work harder as an on age player is a challenge he relishes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe because my son loves his teammates and really has fun playing for Crabs? Is that not a good enough reason? He's the one busting his [lacrosse] to be on the team and get PT, not me. Seems to me that everyone on here is much more concerned with themselves than their children. To each his own, but at the end of the day, my son is playing where he wants to play and the fact that he may have to work harder as an on age player is a challenge he relishes.

While that is all well and good, and I mean that, you may have to face the possibility of you being "requested" that your son repeat a grade in order to stay with Crabs. This has happened many times and will continue, going forward.
This is the way Ryan M manipulates the system and ends up with 10+ holdbacks on his 2020 team.
This is not the intention or spirit of grade base youth lacrosse, but Ryan M found a way to manipulate the system to his advantage.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

While that is all well and good, and I mean that, you may have to face the possibility of you being "requested" that your son repeat a grade in order to stay with Crabs. This has happened many times and will continue, going forward.
This is the way Ryan M manipulates the system and ends up with 10+ holdbacks on his 2020 team.
This is not the intention or spirit of grade base youth lacrosse, but Ryan M found a way to manipulate the system to his advantage.

What is your answer for the public school kid who did K or 1st grade twice. Where and what should he play during the spring. he is not in high school yet what team can he play on? Are we going to hurt the few kids who do have a real school issue. Because others work the system. Like all rules everywhere someone is going to work them and find a loop hole.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Those orange helmets at Crabs tryouts are from Bethesda. 25% of Crabs players came from Bethesda. Not saying that you won't get 1 or 2 from other clubs but having attended the Crabs tryouts you saw very few helmets from Loonies, FCA, Hawks..the majority of these teams stay in tact. And

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
On a positive note. 2020 lax in B more is most talented and athletic group I've seen in many years. Studs across the board. We need to pick an All Star Team from HOCO 2020 age group and that's a team that could beat Team 91 Crush. Imagine picking best from Looniies, FCA, Crabs, Hawks, and 91 Maryland.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
On a positive note. 2020 lax in B more is most talented and athletic group I've seen in many years. Studs across the board. We need to pick an All Star Team from HOCO 2020 age group and that's a team that could beat Team 91 Crush. Imagine picking best from Looniies, FCA, Crabs, Hawks, and 91 Maryland.

I believe a couple of these teams can beat 91 crush right now (crabs, looneys). A 2020 Maryland all star team would destroy any team out there

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Friends yes, but they also know the deal. You know what the kids are calling the Elite division? The RECLASS division. Like you said before, the kids know each other. Many will end up playing with and against each other in high school.

It's not that they don't care about reclassers - it's that they're still KIDS, and feel powerless to do anything about it. They assume the ADULTS and COACHES will do the right thing and change the landscape. Sadly, here we are today ...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kids don't care. Only the dads who have kids who can't compete care about reclassed kids.

It doesn't matter. When they are in HS, they will see kids of all different ages, sizes, abilities, etc. The crying makes you look pathetic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kids don't care. Only the dads who have kids who can't compete care about reclassed kids.

It doesn't matter. When they are in HS, they will see kids of all different ages, sizes, abilities, etc. The crying makes you look pathetic.

they aren't in high school yet, no is complaining about high school ball.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

LOL ... and playing kids a year or two younger to gain an advantage is what? If there is ANYTHING pathetic about the situation, it is parents like you.

By your logic, if they all even out in High School why even reclass? You know why -- because your son can't compete and shine against kids his same age!

To gain an athletic advantage for a sport with 12.6 scholarships and a mediocre pro league is PATHETIC.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If the event is age based, no rules are broken. If you don't like it, tell your club owner that you only want to be entered in age based events.

Otherwise, just cheer for your son and stop whining.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Loonies and Crabs will compete with Crush by themselves

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes the reclassed kids will be the ones crying when they lose their advantage and once again look average.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So you're the type of guy who wouldn't care if his 13 year old daughter dates the 15 year old boy right? Age is just a number, and there is no way that older boy is trying to take advantage of the age difference. It'll all even out anyway when she's in high school. Right dad?

Like Reply Quote
Page 21 of 70 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 69 70
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard