BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,812
Posts386,951
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 23 of 58 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Also pretty sad that lacrosse parents have so unanimously read over Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers" as a bible for holding kids back the grade. Seems like very few of them read the rest of the book very carefully. One chapter talked about the low stakes / high consequences "tournament" kids enter to be street drug dealers. Most drug dealers live with their parents, and very few ever see riches at the top of the tournament results.

Lacrosse isn't as odious as drug dealing, but the principle isn't too far off. The best of what's around in this sport is a partial scholarship to a good college. And that is pretty rare to accomplish...it is also a very small fractional reward for such a life imbalance all the way through childhood. I'd love to see more kids playing club and high school lacrosse because they are enjoying it. The rewards at the end are a pretty low stakes game anyways. Parents and kids should know that.

Why is there an assumption that there is a life "imbalance"? As compared to what? Many goodlacrosse players are very well-rounded kids.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

it is also a very small fractional reward for such a life imbalance all the way through childhood.

This sentences sums it up so perfectly. Sports clubs, tournaments, coaches, and parents have turned kids' lives upside down and around chasing a scholarship and sometimes now even that- just a chance to play at a school. These kids lives have become unbalanced and there is sure to be consequences in the end. It almost makes me think of children tv/movie stars... what happens when it's over or does not pan out? Will it be worth the craziness these kids have been put through?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Have another Labor Day cocktail buddy... Complete gibberish..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

it is also a very small fractional reward for such a life imbalance all the way through childhood.

This sentences sums it up so perfectly. Sports clubs, tournaments, coaches, and parents have turned kids' lives upside down and around chasing a scholarship and sometimes now even that- just a chance to play at a school. These kids lives have become unbalanced and there is sure to be consequences in the end. It almost makes me think of children tv/movie stars... what happens when it's over or does not pan out? Will it be worth the craziness these kids have been put through?
so sick of all you jealous people. Then shut up and guide your kid in another direction, Don;t want or need your advice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

so sick of all you jealous people. Then shut up and guide your kid in another direction, Don;t want or need your advice.

Whether you like it or not he or she is right. The sad reality is going to be ugly for a lot of kids in the very near future.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Very similar to some of the "articles" on how the kids reacted to those over involved parents. I get the crazies are out there but no child ever wrote these aritlcles or papers on how mom or dad ruined their life by pushing them to do my best on and off the field. What, by being brutally honest at times, that hey you want to play you have to work harder, what youre giving isnt enough effort.

You want to have fun okay great but you can do that without me paying thousands of dollars. You wanted to try out and be on a top team well sweetie or buddy boy you constantly need to prove yourself and get better.

You want to be on a HS team amd play, then you need to work at it, you want to play college you need to work at it and sacrifice. It's not easy and it doesn't just happen. In fact it may never happen.

But at the end of the day, the buck stops here and no-one can tell me what to do with or for my kid.

Just as i cant stop him from having fun when he wants to and it is appropriate.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I dont know what any of you people are talking about. My son is a completely well adjusted, happy teenager who loves to play lacrosse and is extremely proud of the fact he committed to play college lacrosse and that he got a good sum of money to do it. His hard work and sacrifice paid off and it something he can be proud of the rest of his life. I dont where the "life imbalance" comes in. Furthermore there are lot worse things that he could be doing on summer weekends than playing lacrosse and hanging with his teammates. I understand not every kid will commit and get a scholarship but for the most part whether its D1, D2 or D3 the sport has room for most kids who would like to play at the next level.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A bunch of underachieving parents who embrace the " participation trophy" millennial era.. f that. My kid has been team captain on 3 diff sports, class president, straight A and committed and ready to compete for a spot on his varsity team. Go back to pampering your little jonnys. No place for it in my world. Signed parent of a "maybe held back and maybe not because anybody who matters doesn't give a rats arse".

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A bunch of underachieving parents who embrace the " participation trophy" millennial era.. f that. My kid has been team captain on 3 diff sports, class president, straight A and committed and ready to compete for a spot on his varsity team. Go back to pampering your little jonnys. No place for it in my world. Signed parent of a "maybe held back and maybe not because anybody who matters doesn't give a rats arse".

Yeah sure....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you hold your kid back for a sport that ends after college except for a beer money league then the nanny state should take your kid away from you.

And if your lifelong dream is to send your kid to college where he will spend 6 hours a day on lacrosse while taking a major that the coach picks I wish you well.

Our path is academics and a pick of the major first and if lacrosse helps or fits then all the better.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And I'm sure he's your best friend. Get a life of your own.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you hold your kid back for a sport that ends after college except for a beer money league then the nanny state should take your kid away from you.

And if your lifelong dream is to send your kid to college where he will spend 6 hours a day on lacrosse while taking a major that the coach picks I wish you well.

Our path is academics and a pick of the major first and if lacrosse helps or fits then all the better.

Amen

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well said. Not all dads have their heads on straight. Too bad for their son.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once again. The dad who has zero comeback for the kids who are commiting to top academic schools including the Ivy leagues. . You guys are morons. Do you think we as parents don't realize the same end game as you. It's all about academics and the alumni network that comes along with the university and the sport. Difference is we have already used Lacrosse to get into a top school and unless your son has a 4.4 weighted GPA and 1350+ he won't be sitting next to players who have selected top universities. Good news there is still time to plan all your vacation time this fall and next summer around the showcases chasing the dream we have already realized.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gotta be Crabs, Looney's or FCA parent - no one else would write such a thing...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dream ? Succes or emotional stability? One mans blessing is another's poison. Let's wait for the end game . Which kids will lead happy life's. Time will tell.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once again. The dad who has zero comeback for the kids who are commiting to top academic schools including the Ivy leagues. . You guys are morons. Do you think we as parents don't realize the same end game as you. It's all about academics and the alumni network that comes along with the university and the sport. Difference is we have already used Lacrosse to get into a top school and unless your son has a 4.4 weighted GPA and 1350+ he won't be sitting next to players who have selected top universities. Good news there is still time to plan all your vacation time this fall and next summer around the showcases chasing the dream we have already realized.

wow. you are the best. when you say "we", did you get in to the school too?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many athletes were thrown out of Harvard for cheating a few years ago?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the percentage of lacrosse players on drugs We know it is a reality. Over 50% probably. No longer a culture of lets go get a beer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This may be the most accurate post regarding this early recruiting quagmire. When both the player and parents realize that this sport can be used as a stepping stone to a great academic institution(read IVY's and the like); then the common goal is understood and the steps needed to achieve this goal can be mapped out. The fact that there are limited spots at these elite schools does prompt one to consider entering into the early recruitment process if the player is uniquely qualified. Clearly this is not a choice easily made and is not for every student athlete. For those that display the appropriate level of maturity and a sense of academic direction; the parent can help them make the best choice. It should be made well aware to the athlete that his choices may change as he gets older or his interests in the sport or academics may also change and that this is OK. Pressure is the last thing a kid in this position needs. Once the decision is made to early commit; it behooves the parent to keep the player "between the lines" as indicated. If the process of playing towards this goal is not fun or too much self imposed pressure is detected; then a reassessment of the choice should be considered.

No one said it would be easy. but it can be very interesting and fulfilling.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Exactly your dream. Living through your son because you shoulda woulda coulda type of guy. Probably never saw an athletic field.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please stop. You make it sound like every kid that plays travel lacrosse is actually a good player. We all know that if any of write a check our kids can find a team. You also make t sound like most kids go to IVY and top Lax schools which isn't the case. There is no doubt that some players are gifted with brains and lax ability but most everyone else are just good players and good students but those parents keep talking like their kid is going to play at Yale. Give me a break. Most good kids with be playing a D3 Suny schedule

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The responses to what I also believe was a very accurate post are comical. Now early commits are drug users and cheaters... Lololllolololololooloo. You simple minded clowns continually entertain the rest of us..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
go look at the girls threads. teams with 80% of the roster in a major no one has ever heard of. Coaches push these kids into majors they can manipulate so they can play lacrosse 30 or more hours a week. engineers, architects and medicine majors they are not

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the percentage of lacrosse players on drugs We know it is a reality. Over 50% probably. No longer a culture of lets go get a beer.

UVA goalie got caught with coke in Ocean City MD this summer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Did he commit in 8th grade?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yea. Game has changed. We just drank beer in the 80s. No coke, weed, shrooms, ecstasy, acid. But the guys from the 70s - complete degenerates.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is status of NCAA and early recruiting. Are they voting anytime soon on the proposal to start recruiting JR year??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No criticism. Just a reality of the culture . A lot of experts , athletes and parents have talked about all the negative effects from all the stress that kids have to deal with in this hyper conpetitive culture. . Robbing a person of there childhood has no negative effects ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So the UVA goalie got caught with drugs. By your own admission of these horrible young men you need to get YOUR kid out of this poisonous environment of wanton drugs and lacrosse. You only have a 50-50 chance of saving your young prince. Get him out of lacrosse and into ballet asap!! Good luck

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is status of NCAA and early recruiting. Are they voting anytime soon on the proposal to start recruiting JR year??

Will never happen. It is not a rule for one sport. Other sports like football and basketball will never support. And those sports make colleges money!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
go look at the girls threads. teams with 80% of the roster in a major no one has ever heard of. Coaches push these kids into majors they can manipulate so they can play lacrosse 30 or more hours a week. engineers, architects and medicine majors they are not

keep spreading the Vanderbilt nonsense over hear I see? The major referred to there is the largest (2000 students) and one of the "best" areas of study at Vandy. Some parents are clearly jealous of of other people's daughters. Why deal with facts when you can just sling arrows. Why are so many lax parents such losers? Yeah Vanderbilt's a terrible school, right?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The question has always been what's more impactful a basic degree from a great school or a great major at a weaker school.

I just don't think kids should have to change a major for a school to be interested. If you want to be an engineer, don't let anyone talk you out of it

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]The question has always been what's more impactful a basic degree from a great school or a great major at a weaker school.

I just don't think kids should have to change a major for a school to be interested. If you want to be an engineer, don't let anyone talk you out of it[/quote

Totally agree. And yet it is the vast minority of all kids that want to be engineers or Dr's or architects. Not just lax players. So attributing the choice of a major to the manipulation of the coach (not saying it doesn't happen, just not at the rate stated here) is often misplaced. And there seems to be no acknowledgement that some great lax schools have kids taking engineering and pre-med etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Studs usually get their pick of the major. Lots of lower roster kids are coaxed into communications one of the easiest and lowest return on investment degrees

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They are in D3!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They are in D3!!

They are in D1 too!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They are in D3!!

They are in D1 too!

My daughter is an engineering major at SB. After reading this I asked her if there are any other engineering majors and she said there are three other women as well. The other majors I do not know but makes for an interesting conversation. Are kids going to play lacrosse or go to college and how many provide both.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UNC, the national woman champs where kids off the street must have an average SAT score of 1300 (re: college board) and here are is the teams majors-

12 excercise science, 11 undeclared, 10 communications, 1, history, 1 psych, 1 sociology, 1 geography, 1 economics, 1 nursing

Great degree from a great school but it looks like they are there to major in lacrosse and win a national championship which they did.

Anyone that thinks lots of schools don't steer recruits to certain majors is fooling themselves. Thos degrees above look like community college, not UNC kids!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you are beyond an a-hole. dismissing those sort of degrees.

Like Reply Quote
Page 23 of 58 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard