BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,552
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 26 of 86 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 85 86
Re: MadLax Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's sort of true. 2019 is one of the only competitive Cavs teams and played in the NPYLL lower division yes...they had a tough time there for the most part. Cavs generally play in the Great Falls league (VA) vs the Charlottesville Bolts and others. The tourneys they normally do are the Battle of Bull Run and Shore Wars which are on the level of the Great Falls League. Cavs are a well run organization and are a good supplement to rec, but not competitive for preparing to play and succeed at the college level like madlax, VLC, and BW. They like to win tournaments vice playing against higher level competition.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What grade do most little kids start playing lax in NoVa?

In my non-hotbed, kids from my neighborhood often start in kindegarten or even age 5. My son and daughter started in 1st.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In NoVa I'd guess rec starting at U-9, so an 8 year old? My son tried it for first time as a nine year old for the town rec league. In Baltimore they likely start them at 9 too, only they're rising kindergarden at age 9. Hope that helps.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Lots of Cavs there too who are tired of playing in the B tourneys....nice showing at VLC.

Don't Cavs and VLC play in same Division in NYPLL league.

VLC has way better high school teams with a history of being good. and being part of the Crabs does not hurt either.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's sort of true. 2019 is one of the only competitive Cavs teams and played in the NPYLL lower division yes...they had a tough time there for the most part. Cavs generally play in the Great Falls league (VA) vs the Charlottesville Bolts and others. The tourneys they normally do are the Battle of Bull Run and Shore Wars which are on the level of the Great Falls League. Cavs are a well run organization and are a good supplement to rec, but not competitive for preparing to play and succeed at the college level like madlax, VLC, and BW. They like to win tournaments vice playing against higher level competition.

So as far as 2019's go, the Cavs and VLC have the same objective

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lots of Cavs there too who are tired of playing in the B tourneys....nice showing at VLC.

VLC has way better high school teams with a history of being good. and being part of the Crabs does not hurt either.

How does that help them

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Only about 40 kids at the Virginia madlax tryouts?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How does that help them

I should have phrased this question better, how has being a part of BLC helped VLC, does VLC have bigger numbers since merger, is there financial support from BLC. Do these mergers help or does thge owner of smaller club just get a payday for his email database. I would assume since Rob is still involved that the BLC-VLC merger was not simply a handshake and a check in the mail. I really am curious as to what the difference before BLC and post BLC

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How does that help them

I should have phrased this question better, how has being a part of BLC helped VLC, does VLC have bigger numbers since merger, is there financial support from BLC. Do these mergers help or does thge owner of smaller club just get a payday for his email database. I would assume since Rob is still involved that the BLC-VLC merger was not simply a handshake and a check in the mail. I really am curious as to what the difference before BLC and post BLC

I was just referring to the chance for the top VLC players to play with the top Crabs teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Only about 40 kids at the Virginia madlax tryouts?

Why is every statement so vague what team had 40 kids at it ?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry....2020 Virginia. Is the madlax capital roster already filled up?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry....2020 Virginia. Is the madlax capital roster already filled up?

No they take the best players new or old

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How does that help them

BLC pre-Crabs was very different. post BLC, the VLC has weakened at the youth level. Let's not waste any time with this: if VLC continued as-is with the founder / prior owner, they'd have wiped out Madlax. The parents, particularly the youth age parents, experienced quite a shock when King Crab the Overlord showed up. After a year of never getting a question answered or an email returned, I could see the only two times a VLC parent will hear from McClernan is when he's asking for money or berating people for having a question. Once a youth team had a game at Cedar Park. The part McClernan didn't communicate on the website was WHICH Cedar Park. Parents drove to the wrong part of Maryland and needed to race over to make a game with no warm up. At least one mom was threatened her kid would be kicked out and he'd send a refund after she emailed him to suggest improving the way things get communicated. VLC's youth teams have gone backwards and a good many Fairfax County parents and families like ours just don't see the way Ryan McClernan does business to be a good thing for us or our families. This is how BW survived after being down. This is how Madlax was able to recover and get a stranglehold on the top youth players in NOVA. Freedom did fail and fold, but remember why it started to begin with. A large volume of parents, some VLC coaches and kids just got fed up and left. If your son is not one of 3-4 players in a grade VLC is interested in selling to colleges, it's a bad fit for anyone. Who needs a fat slob berating us. I am a 50 year old man with a doctorate, not a puppet. I didn't let McClernand treat our family like garbage, or should anyone else. There is plenty of alternatives for kids who want to play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How does that help them

BLC pre-Crabs was very different. post BLC, the VLC has weakened at the youth level. Let's not waste any time with this: if VLC continued as-is with the founder / prior owner, they'd have wiped out Madlax. The parents, particularly the youth age parents, experienced quite a shock when King Crab the Overlord showed up. After a year of never getting a question answered or an email returned, I could see the only two times a VLC parent will hear from McClernan is when he's asking for money or berating people for having a question. Once a youth team had a game at Cedar Park. The part McClernan didn't communicate on the website was WHICH Cedar Park. Parents drove to the wrong part of Maryland and needed to race over to make a game with no warm up. At least one mom was threatened her kid would be kicked out and he'd send a refund after she emailed him to suggest improving the way things get communicated. VLC's youth teams have gone backwards and a good many Fairfax County parents and families like ours just don't see the way Ryan McClernan does business to be a good thing for us or our families. This is how BW survived after being down. This is how Madlax was able to recover and get a stranglehold on the top youth players in NOVA. Freedom did fail and fold, but remember why it started to begin with. A large volume of parents, some VLC coaches and kids just got fed up and left. If your son is not one of 3-4 players in a grade VLC is interested in selling to colleges, it's a bad fit for anyone. Who needs a fat slob berating us. I am a 50 year old man with a doctorate, not a puppet. I didn't let McClernand treat our family like garbage, or should anyone else. There is plenty of alternatives for kids who want to play.

So what you are saying is go play for Madlax. But I think I just read VLC had 100 kids at tryouts for 2020

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are kids trying out for 3-4 teams this month. Kind of sad that the myopia and stress reached this level to have families all over the place to ensure a kid can play. Most of the kids you counted at VLC's tryouts were are other club tryouts as well. Not sure what your point means. Ryan McClernan doesn't run a good ship and it shows.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are kids trying out for 3-4 teams this month. Kind of sad that the myopia and stress reached this level to have families all over the place to ensure a kid can play. Most of the kids you counted at VLC's tryouts were are other club tryouts as well. Not sure what your point means. Ryan McClernan doesn't run a good ship and it shows.

I am a Madlax Dad so I do not mind the bashing of another club for once not named Madlax. But I also think there has to be a number 2 or number 3 club in the area so over all I am hoping for a strong VLC team. There is way more then 20 kids who can play D1 in this area and there needs to be 3 strong clubs for the D1 kids to play for.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well I think its a great thing kids are going to 3 and 4 tryouts a year. This will let the kids and parents know what is out there and hopefully push the cream to the top. What hurts this area is the top is not a clear top. Up north the best programs are a clear top program. We can not even pick the top 3 here.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am a Madlax Dad so I do not mind the bashing of another club for once not named Madlax. But I also think there has to be a number 2 or number 3 club in the area so over all I am hoping for a strong VLC team. There is way more then 20 kids who can play D1 in this area and there needs to be 3 strong clubs for the D1 kids to play for.

There are three strong clubs: Blackwolf, Madlax and VLC. For HS, both Blackwolf and VLC have had superior HS teams. If you are talking about club serving D1 recruits in this area, both Blackwolf and VLC have had more D1 recruits than Madlax. In the youth, Madlax has had the numbers, although Blackwolf is now doing youth teams.

You can't just look at your son's particular grade. Those three clubs are all fielding good to strong teams at every level.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Crabs are not much of an influence at VLC at all. The advantage VLC gets with the Crab relationship is that they can bring top VLC talent to the Crabs at the lower age groups where VLC is not as strong. The 2020 attack who led the Crabs in scoring out at Denver was a VLC kid. Instead of him having to leave to find a better more suitable program, VLC was able to retain a great player by getting him into an acceptable situation until a solid 2020 was built up at VLC. They do this at the higher levels as well and can assemble more elite teams with a broader talent base. It is a good system and very well run at the HS level. VLC is not on par with madlax at the youth level, but freedom lax folding up could be a game changer. Low turnouts for madlax does not bode well for the new 3 teams per year group model with blackwolf entering the youth market. I personally don't think there are enough that will pay that much in the nova area for youth lax when rec is dirt cheap and pretty good quality at the A team level.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone know what kind of turnout madlax Virginia got yesterday?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually MADLAX had a pretty good turnout if you think about it in these terms. The MD kids went to the MD tryouts so that filtered quite a few kids out of the VA. Plus the tryouts were grade-based instead of Uxx for the youth teams. Basically the same number of kids were at the 2020 tryout as attended the U13 tryout for both MD and VA last year. Not bad for changing the program so that Orange is perceived as super-team 'Capital'.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's just a money grab. Instead of allowing the top kids to be locks for his Orange team, he is making eveyrone try out which means more tryout fees, even though those kids were on the team before they set foot on the field.

And instead of one B team, he is splitting the Blue kids into two teams, making them even weaker. The kids who stay in the program but don't make the Orange team are the ones who will suffer.

Don't know about the VA tryouts but we were there at the MD ones and the turnout was pretty bad.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's just a money grab. Instead of allowing the top kids to be locks for his Orange team, he is making eveyrone try out which means more tryout fees, even though those kids were on the team before they set foot on the field.

And instead of one B team, he is splitting the Blue kids into two teams, making them even weaker. The kids who stay in the program but don't make the Orange team are the ones who will suffer.

Don't know about the VA tryouts but we were there at the MD ones and the turnout was pretty bad.

Returning kids do not pay the tryout fee so you are wrong there. Yes you can look at adding a third team as a money grab. Or you can look at it as more kids more talent. If the other two top programs in the area have good or great high school teams you might want to have the numbers to be able to handle some leaving for the other top high school programs. Also with these top private schools doing more and more summer and fall actives. A top private school kid and play with his high school during the off season also and do showcases and be just fine.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This comment is incorrect - it is true that all returning players were required to attend yesterday's tryout however, if you were already invited to play on the Capital Orange team you did not get charged the tryout fee. I should know, my Son fell in this category...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's true invited Capital players didn't have to pay. But it's also true this new system isn't really to benefit the Orange team. They might get 1 or 2 new playera because of the 2 tryouts but the Blue players really get screwed over by splitting into 2 teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's true invited Capital players didn't have to pay. But it's also true this new system isn't really to benefit the Orange team. They might get 1 or 2 new playera because of the 2 tryouts but the Blue players really get screwed over by splitting into 2 teams.

That is not a 100% truth. You could say the talent is spread out for the "blue" teams. And I am sure this is the case year one. But there is tons of wasted talent on many of these lesser club teams in both states that would be better served on a Madlax team. Please do not bring up the money again. I know you want to.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Counting college commits seems to be a reach. If a program has bunches of kids committed to VMI, other 3rd tier programs, that is supposed to be a wow attraction. Not following that. The number of VLC and Blackwolf commits in face is high, the percentage of them going to lower tier programs is also high. Some lower tier D1 programs exist to attract full tuition paying families. Nothing wrong with kids making an academic choice to go to one of them, but to market it as a club lacrosse team nailing it for placements is pretty empty.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Counting college commits seems to be a reach. If a program has bunches of kids committed to VMI, other 3rd tier programs, that is supposed to be a wow attraction. Not following that. The number of VLC and Blackwolf commits in face is high, the percentage of them going to lower tier programs is also high. Some lower tier D1 programs exist to attract full tuition paying families. Nothing wrong with kids making an academic choice to go to one of them, but to market it as a club lacrosse team nailing it for placements is pretty empty.

So you're saying that if a kid commits to a D1 school like VMI that you don't deem "worthy", it somehow diminishes that kid's accomplishment? If that's the school (D1 or otherwise) that a kid wants to go to, who are you to say it's not an accomplishment?

If you want to play that game, look at the Madlax 2015 list. I see names like St. Joe's, High Point, Denison, Tufts, Mary Washington, Ursinus, W&L, Colby, NJIT, Wooster, Queens, etc.

That team had 4 kids out of 16 that went to "brand name" schools. Are you going to tell those parents to their faces that their sons' commitment to those school is not worthy? Everyone on that list (or any college commit list) should be proud and given due respect. What a jerk you are.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The comment is aimed at clubs who market themselves foolishly like Madlax and VLC both. Bragging about kids going to nearly unheard of schools does make the programs look weak.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'll play. Here are where some of the Blackwolf 2016 kids are going:

Maryland
Cornell
Brown
Michigan
Drexel
Loyola
St. Joseph's
UMBC
Binghampton
High Point
Middlebury

Madlax 2016
Air Force
Dartmouth
Colgate
Vermont
Syracuse
Army
Trinity
Sewanee
Tufts
Colby
Mary Washington

You really want to diss Blackwolf's college commitments?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My beef is that some posters are constantly saying how VLC and Blackwolf have better HS programs, which simply is not true. Look at the numbers, each program is very close. Furthermore, if madlax's HS is so bad how is it that there are 3 madlax kids that made ty xander's top 50 sophomore list, two of which are in the top 10. Not too shabby for a sub par HS program. How many kids from Blackwolf and VLC, you ask? Zero!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If we're on the topic of quality placements, look at VLC's 2017 commitments:

Duke
Virginia
Yale
Georgetown
Cornell
West Point
Colgate
Maryland
High Point

Pretty good schools I'd say!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My beef is that some posters are constantly saying how VLC and Blackwolf have better HS programs, which simply is not true. Look at the numbers, each program is very close. Furthermore, if madlax's HS is so bad how is it that there are 3 madlax kids that made ty xander's top 50 sophomore list, two of which are in the top 10. Not too shabby for a sub par HS program. How many kids from Blackwolf and VLC, you ask? Zero!

How many Madlax 2016s made the cut? ZERO.

How many Madlax 2017s made the cut? ZERO.

You are slicing up stats to suit your agenda. If you look at the number of commits from 2014-2019, both BW and VLC have a lot more than Madlax. If Madlax is best for your family, then be happy with that. But don't try to create random stats that don't give a true picture.

Blackwolf has had so many more commits since 2014 than Madlax it's not even close.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Uh, it was a 2018 list. The 2016 and 2017 list haven't been published yet. Genius.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I only included the current high school teams, obviously the 2015 team doesn't exist anymore, but for kicks-and-giggles let's take a wider sample size - from 2012 to present, madlax with 79 d1 commits, vlc with 49. I think it is safe to say that, when it comes to getting kids committed to D1 programs, the Madlax HS program is equally as good as VLC and Blackwolf, if not better. Not trying to get into a virtual pissing match, just wanted to refute an inaccurate statement posted by the previous poster.

Believe someone already did the math.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok, let's keep bashing each other's program, costs, coaches and commits. All good stuff. But please keep Ty Xander's rankings out of any discussion of superiority. You all do know he gets paid by our clubs to write his blog and attend these tourneys. How do you all think he makes money, website advertising?

His list is a nice read and good entertainment, but please don't think for one minute there aren't kids out there in non-hotbed areas just as good as our "Ty ranked" players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If we're on the topic of quality placements, look at VLC's 2017 commitments:

Duke
Virginia
Yale
Georgetown
Cornell
West Point
Colgate
Maryland
High Point

Pretty good schools I'd say!

How many of these kids from this list played 1 or more games in a Madlax uniform? I think this is the class that all left from the email crazy coach year. Is this correct?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How many Madlax 2016s made the cut? ZERO.

How many Madlax 2017s made the cut? ZERO.

You are slicing up stats to suit your agenda. If you look at the number of commits from 2014-2019, both BW and VLC have a lot more than Madlax. If Madlax is best for your family, then be happy with that. But don't try to create random stats that don't give a true picture.

Blackwolf has had so many more commits since 2014 than Madlax it's not even close.

2016 and 2017 are the years the Madlax email came out? This push some of the best players to these teams. As you can see by the talent on Madlax 2018 and 2019 teams people are over the email and coming back to Madlax.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok, let's keep bashing each other's program, costs, coaches and commits. All good stuff. But please keep Ty Xander's rankings out of any discussion of superiority. You all do know he gets paid by our clubs to write his blog and attend these tourneys. How do you all think he makes money, website advertising?

His list is a nice read and good entertainment, but please don't think for one minute there aren't kids out there in non-hotbed areas just as good as our "Ty ranked" players.

I agree there seems to be a lean towards the big programs from the notheast. But I can count tons of West Coast Stars and kids from Texas programs that he puts on his list and writes about. The only way to vet his list is in 3 or 4 years people need to call out all the kids he did not write about that turn into studs. But I am guessing the hit or miss ratio will be the same as the high school basketbal and football list.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The reference was not meant to be a discussion of superiority but to simply clarify some of the misinformation that is being spewed about Madlax's HS teams. VLC's and Blackwolf's HS teams are great, I'm not disputing that, but in my opinion Madlax is right there with them.

Like Reply Quote
Page 26 of 86 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 85 86
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard