BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Messages for US Lacrosse. Rules, Age Classification or whatever.
The Hop Offline OP
User
OP Offline
User
Good post. I agree except for the girls playing like boys. I would think that since it's 2015 any girl can play on a boys team if she wishes. I'm not sure how many would continue though.

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by The Hop
Good post. I agree except for the girls playing like boys. I would think that since it's 2015 any girl can play on a boys team if she wishes. I'm not sure how many would continue though.

I would love for my daughter to play the boys game. This is not allowed in public school since there is a girls version offered.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do a better job of picking teams for school girls and U19 without politics coming into play.

Like Reply Quote
The Hop Offline OP
User
OP Offline
User
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Do a better job of picking teams for school girls and U19 without politics coming into play.

Agree totally.

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree totally.

Why, what's wrong with the u19 team? they seem to be doing really well!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
Also, will the clock stop on a minor foul? If not, what will stop teams from minor fouling the whole way down the field to kill the shot clock. I know you will be able to quick start, but it will still kill precious seconds.
From NCAA website:

Women’s lacrosse will have a 90-second possession clock by 2017 season

Greg Johnson | NCAA.com

Last Updated - Jul 16, 2015 17:04 EDT

A visible 90-second possession clock is coming to NCAA women’s lacrosse competition.

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel on Thursday approved adding a possession clock in the sport by the 2017 season in Division I, and by 2018 in Divisions II and III.

Delaying the implementation of the possession clock is warranted because it provides schools time to budget for any financial implications. The Women’s Lacrosse Rules Committee is recommending using two clocks, one on each end of the field. However, one clock located at the scorer’s table will also be allowed.

Under the 90-second possession clock rule, the offensive team must register a shot within that window or the opposition will be awarded the ball at its location on the field when time expired.

The clock will be reset on a shot that is deflected by the goalkeeper or on a shot that hits the piping on the goal. The clock will also reset on all changes of possession and when any card has been issued to the team without possession.

The possession clock will keep counting down toward zero on shots that go wide or high of the goal.

The rules committee hopes the new rule limits the abuse of clock management and increases the pace of play.

Self-restarts

The panel approved allowing players to do self-restarts following minor or major foul calls outside of the critical scoring area (defined as inside the 12-meter arc and the corresponding area behind the goal), beginning with the 2016 season. Players would still have the option of waiting for the penalty to be administered.

Players called for major fouls must stand at least 4 meters behind the player with the ball on a restart, and players called for minor fouls must stand at least 4 meters to the side of the player with the ball on restarts.

As with the possession clock rule, the committee believes giving players the option of restarting play quickly can speed up the pace of play.

Stick checks

Officials will conduct stick checks of every goal-scoring stick following each goal scored, beginning next season. The rule is currently used in international play.

There will also be more extensive stick checks before the start of the game, with officials examining more than just the pocket depth.

Coaches will maintain their three stick-check requests and will be allowed to use them before any faceoff, during timeouts, at halftime and before the start of any overtime periods.

If a player is found to be using a stick that doesn’t meet the specifications, that player will be given a yellow card and must serve a two-minute, non-releasable penalty.

Alternating possession

Starting next season, there will no longer be throw-ins following an offsetting foul call. Instead, an alternating possession rule will cover those scenarios. The first possession arrow will be determined at the coin toss, when the winning captains choose direction or possession.

Overtime change

In the event a game goes to overtime in 2016, teams will use a sudden-victory format and change ends every three minutes.

Previously, the team that scored the most goals in two three-minute periods won the match.

Three-second violation change

Starting in 2016, three-second violations will be considered a minor foul.

If a defender is inside the 8-meter arc and not guarding anyone for three seconds, the offensive team is given possession of the ball at the 12-meter arc, where it can initiate an indirect play (pass to a teammate) on goal.

wow shot clock makes it a very different game especially since it keeps running on shots that miss the cage.

Does clock start as soon as you touch ball or when you clear a certain point on the field?

Clock starts on possession. It will continue to run during minor fouls. Goalie saves or hitting post resets clock. The new "self start" rule after minor fouls directly correlates to the new 90 second rule.

The game two years from now will not look anything like the game the next two years. Defensive riding, while an important part of the game now, will be a major factor. The days of a goalie walking up the field will be over. In fact, if I get a shot off I want it to go to the goalie!

I've seen games played with a 90 second clock (Syracuse scrimmaged using the clock). It can turn into a wild game! Officiating will also need to get up to speed.

Also throw in the new 3 second foul (12 meter non-direct)...big changes!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree totally.

We lost to Canada in the final. When you look at the number if girls the US has playing versus those in Canada, it is not even close. US Lacrosse is a sleep at the wheel - the men lose last summer's World Championship and now the U19 women lose as well. Coaching? Selection? Development?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree totally.

We lost to Canada in the final. When you look at the number if girls the US has playing versus those in Canada, it is not even close. US Lacrosse is a sleep at the wheel - the men lose last summer's World Championship and now the U19 women lose as well. Coaching? Selection? Development?

Or maybe Canada develops elite players, many of which become the top athletes on their college teams. Wasn't the loss by 1 point? I think this is good for lacrosse makes it more,exciting. Nobody wants to see the same country winni ng every year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree totally.

Or maybe Canada develops elite players, many of which become the top athletes on their college teams. Wasn't the loss by 1 point? I think this is good for lacrosse makes it more,exciting. Nobody wants to see the same country winni ng every year.

If it's the U.S. I do!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it true that US Lacrosse approved a Sept 1 age cutoff? I would think that this would affect tournaments that require US Lacrosse registration for insurance purposes. I just got an email about it but the server is busy so I can't confirm it on the US Lacrosse website.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccer is going to birth year ie. 2003, 2004 etc. this fall to align with the accepted standard worldwide. Kids will be allowed to play up, but not down. This is being instituted across all age groups. As a previous poster said, it is not rocket science. Soccer players have to produce a birth certificate and a picture to create a verified player pass. Very simple. Why can't lacrosse just follow this model?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccer is going to birth year ie. 2003, 2004 etc. this fall to align with the accepted standard worldwide. Kids will be allowed to play up, but not down. This is being instituted across all age groups. As a previous poster said, it is not rocket science. Soccer players have to produce a birth certificate and a picture to create a verified player pass. Very simple. Why can't lacrosse just follow this model?

Tournaments and clubs will still do whatever they want. US Lacrosse is a gutless toothless governing body.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How does U.S. Lax insurance work, are there different actuarial tables that apply to each age group? If they don't enforce their rules wouldn't there be some sort of liability?

Tournaments and clubs will still do whatever they want. US Lacrosse is a gutless toothless governing body.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Under this rule the #1 boys and girls player in the country would have been different

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Slow down club hopping. In most other sports (hockey, soccer, swimming) , you can switch top level travel clubs ONCE after 4th grade.

Adding this rule would greatly improve the sport, develop more consistancy within teams and allow more clubs to be competitive — generally improving level of play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Slow down club hopping. In most other sports (hockey, soccer, swimming) , you can switch top level travel clubs ONCE after 4th grade.

Adding this rule would greatly improve the sport, develop more consistancy within teams and allow more clubs to be competitive — generally improving level of play.
How about governing the clubs themselves. Owners act with impunity. US Lacrosse has no real interest in clubs lacrosse. Owners have inflated rosters, inflated pricing, guest players, you name it they've done it. Unfortunately chances of finding an honest operator is like winning the lottery.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure about swimming or soccer but I can tell you for a fact there is no rule at the national level in hockey about switching clubs at any age. (Leagues have rules but that’s to prevent members from poaching teams).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How about governing the clubs themselves. Owners act with impunity. US Lacrosse has no real interest in clubs lacrosse. Owners have inflated rosters, inflated pricing, guest players, you name it they've done it. Unfortunately chances of finding an honest operator is like winning the lottery.

Completely agree. I just thought eliminating club hopping would be easier to implement.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just enforce age based teams and support diversity. Not everyone can afford private schools and pre-k/reclassing kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Completely agree. I just thought eliminating club hopping would be easier to implement.

I don't understand how eliminating club hopping is doable. It's a free country. Parents pay for a service for their kids to play for (and trained by) certain clubs. If I am not happy with the service I get, you are telling me that I can't switch clubs?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Club hopping is scabby behavior

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Depends. Some club situations don’t work for every kid and they need to leave the situation. Then some kids switch clubs constantly because their parents think they are the next Rabil. If I had to put a number on 1-2 clubs is fine. 3 is in the middle ground. Anything >3 would be scabby.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not really! Lots of clubs promise things that just is not reality. Like parent coaching not having influence on a team! Then you get there and it does. Also, some clubs politics are unbearable! It’s a Free country , move from a bad situation! Time is too valuable, for your kid to be miserable with a team. To each their own. Lots of clubs are just in it for the $$$s! That’s “scabby†!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Scabby for sure. Junior is not the next Rabil. Sign up and let your kid ride the wave. No teenager wants parents involved in there life. Three gone through the system and this method works. All played or will play college.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Scabby for sure. Junior is not the next Rabil. Sign up and let your kid ride the wave. No teenager wants parents involved in there life. Three gone through the system and this method works. All played or will play college.

Scabby daddy. Isnt that a sponge bob joke?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't understand how eliminating club hopping is doable. It's a free country. Parents pay for a service for their kids to play for (and trained by) certain clubs. If I am not happy with the service I get, you are telling me that I can't switch clubs?

Many (if not most) other travel sports do it -- hockey, swimming, soccer to name a few. When you register with US Lacrosse, you register as a member of a club. Your registration to tourneys is only valid for that club unless you reregister with US lacrosse. Will force a lot more dillgence on the front end for players and parents.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Many (if not most) other travel sports do it -- hockey, swimming, soccer to name a few. When you register with US Lacrosse, you register as a member of a club. Your registration to tourneys is only valid for that club unless you reregister with US lacrosse. Will force a lot more dillgence on the front end for players and parents.
This makes absolutely no sense.
My son played town lacrosse in 3rd grade.
Really liked it so he joined a local B club team that summer. It was disorganized and not very good but he had fun and fell in love with the sport.
For the summer of 4th grade he wanted to make it to one of the big local clubs but wasnt good enough so he moved to another local club that was A and better than his B program. The coach was an absolute stunad (program may have been good but the coaching at the age group was not.)
For the summer of 5th grade he wanted to make it to the big program again but was not good enough so he went back to the B team and for the next 3 years we worked with the director to try to make the team better. It simply was not going to happen based on the local pecking order. So again he went and tried out for the top local teams.
He is now on a top 5 team in his age group, one of the best at his position and still madly in love with the sport. He set out to make it to the top. Came through puberty late and finally got where he wanted in the summer of 9th grade.
Oh yea, we also ended up reclassing him due to COVID year and he is now at a top prep school.
Had he been stuck on the A or B team he likely would not have progressed and he certainly wouldnt have been able to set himself a goal. The kid that is great in 4th grade is not always the kid who is great in 9th. Not all clubs are created equal.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This makes absolutely no sense.
My son played town lacrosse in 3rd grade.
Really liked it so he joined a local B club team that summer. It was disorganized and not very good but he had fun and fell in love with the sport.
For the summer of 4th grade he wanted to make it to one of the big local clubs but wasnt good enough so he moved to another local club that was A and better than his B program. The coach was an absolute stunad (program may have been good but the coaching at the age group was not.)
For the summer of 5th grade he wanted to make it to the big program again but was not good enough so he went back to the B team and for the next 3 years we worked with the director to try to make the team better. It simply was not going to happen based on the local pecking order. So again he went and tried out for the top local teams.
He is now on a top 5 team in his age group, one of the best at his position and still madly in love with the sport. He set out to make it to the top. Came through puberty late and finally got where he wanted in the summer of 9th grade.
Oh yea, we also ended up reclassing him due to COVID year and he is now at a top prep school.
Had he been stuck on the A or B team he likely would not have progressed and he certainly wouldnt have been able to set himself a goal. The kid that is great in 4th grade is not always the kid who is great in 9th. Not all clubs are created equal.

Same experience here.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So your kids stinks on age and could never make the "good" team but lucky for you COVID forced you to reclass him? Do I have that right? You are part of the problem.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure about swimming or soccer but I can tell you for a fact there is no rule at the national level in hockey about switching clubs at any age. (Leagues have rules but that’s to prevent members from poaching teams).

USA Hockey Tier 1 travel definitely does. You get one move after U10 without approval of USA Hockey. You can apply for exception (eg family move), but it needs to be managed through USA Hockey. Most exceptions are approved, but it definitely slows down club hopping.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So your kids stinks on age and could never make the "good" team but lucky for you COVID forced you to reclass him? Do I have that right? You are part of the problem.
Nope you dont have it right. My son was late coming through puberty and had a very isolated experience through COVID so for school reasons we reclassed him......and a prep school was willing to fund it. He still plays on age club. In fact he is probably so successful because he fought so hard to stay relevant on age. He even used to play up. Lets not pretend like making the top teams isnt political either. So nope, you have it no where near right.
Do you think Prep schools take the kids that stink on age and suddenly they are great reclasses? Do you have any clue? How many times a game do you yell Wheels? I know guys like you on the sideline. Reffing and coaching the whole game. The "problem" is you. Your kid stinks but you want him to be great so the problem is reclasses.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's a bit more context thanks. Yes, it is political of course and for the most part from what I've seen it's a vanity project for the coach and his son on the team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nope you dont have it right. My son was late coming through puberty and had a very isolated experience through COVID so for school reasons we reclassed him......and a prep school was willing to fund it. He still plays on age club. In fact he is probably so successful because he fought so hard to stay relevant on age. He even used to play up. Lets not pretend like making the top teams isnt political either. So nope, you have it no where near right.
Do you think Prep schools take the kids that stink on age and suddenly they are great reclasses? Do you have any clue? How many times a game do you yell Wheels? I know guys like you on the sideline. Reffing and coaching the whole game. The "problem" is you. Your kid stinks but you want him to be great so the problem is reclasses.

No skin in this game and you two can fight it out but the best Prep Schools at lacrosse are littered with holdbacks. I can't think if a single top lacrosse Prep School that doesnt rely on holdbacks or PG's. Glad that it worked for your kid but for many who reclass, it doesnt and they end up in the same place they would have if they didnt reclass

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Most tournaments have NO affiliation with US Lacrosse. They are privately owned (many by clubs themselves) so they write their own rules and guidelines. They don't want to get involved with checking ID's for birth ages. The real question is what does US Lacrosse actually do?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is not accurate regarding hockey. My son who played hockey is now done with college, but back when he played at that level kids were switching hockey clubs all the time. I know certain states have a different model based on where kids live, but in our region kids could freely play for whatever club they wanted to. I also just checked the BU roster to see if this is still the case and there is at least one kid on their roster that played on 5 different youth teams between age 13 and 18.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Most tournaments have NO affiliation with US Lacrosse. They are privately owned (many by clubs themselves) so they write their own rules and guidelines. They don't want to get involved with checking ID's for birth ages. The real question is what does US Lacrosse actually do?

It would be an easy fix: You can already get US Lacrosse to insure the tournament and get a COI, so long as all participants are US Lacrosse members. That would be the age proof everyone would need. However, that would be incumbent on the tournament going this route. There is nothing stopping the tournaments from doing it on their own. The women's side of things have it down pretty good. THat is a good model to start and that came from the college coaches association I believe

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The issue is there's no mandate for using US Lacrosse. Tournaments COULD use them to provide their insurance. That would require that all players and coaches have a USA Lacrosse member number and that would be the age proof wanted. However, there's nothing that prevents a tournament from getting their own insurance and not use USA Lacrosse in the process.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
None of this will work unless there is a system to verify who is playing in each actual game. Short of checking something like photo ID cards, like PAL does/used to do before football games, you will always have coaches trying to take advantage of guest players, older players, etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They fixed it for baseball and soccer, they will come for lacrosse it's just a matter of time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
None of this will work unless there is a system to verify who is playing in each actual game. Short of checking something like photo ID cards, like PAL does/used to do before football games, you will always have coaches trying to take advantage of guest players, older players, etc.

That is the point on USA Lacrosse. That system already exists. If a tournament went through USA Lacrosse, and required all the players and coaches to be US Lacrosse members (They'd have to submit their numbers as part of the registration) That would confirm ages/eligibility.

The weakness lies in there is no mandate to use them.

Like Reply Quote
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard