BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,300
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 47 1 2 3 4 46 47
Re: Boys 2019-9th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stop with the outlaws AA. They haven't even stepped on the field yet. Looked what happened to Legacy after they called themselves a AA team. We know some of the Smithtown kids but so did Legacy and it didn't work out well for them.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know for a fact that the outlaws had several of their best players leave the team half way thru the summer. Granted they had a strong team with everyone there, but there was a problem that made the boys leave.

After losing those boys, they were not competitive at all. they will need to upgrade a lot of positions and still add a few strong players to get to where they were at before

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not One player left in middle of summer last season. Lots of talent at try out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Not One player left in middle of summer last season. Lots of talent at try out.
guess that's why they lost to a weak True Blue team then.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I didn't say you didn't have talent at the tryouts. I said you lost a few players and that information came directly from a coach of THAT team that I personally know.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That weak TB team is going to be weaker quite a few of their better players are leaving. At least 6 players at the Express tryouts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All the Catholic School kids..Enjoy

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know for a fact that the outlaws had several of their best players leave the team half way thru the summer. Granted they had a strong team with everyone there, but there was a problem that made the boys leave.

After losing those boys, they were not competitive at all. they will need to upgrade a lot of positions and still add a few strong players to get to where they were at before

What was the " problem " ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2 left before season - stop the lies-

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All the Catholic School kids..Enjoy

Not sure where you got your info but quite a bit More than just the catholic school kids looking. Not to mention that a few of those catholic school kids were some of the better players on the team. Not sure what you were trying to get at with your response.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
is it me but this is a new tryout season. we can say all we want who was beaten by whom last year but I believe there will be a few changes that will make last year's experience a distance memory.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Colin Harrington
My kid was at the laxachusetts open tryout and one of the club directors told the kids that they have 15 commits on their 2019 class already. This seems ridiculous to me. He also mentioned that their top team in one of the top three teams in the country. Please let me know if any of this is true. Thank you

Come on the best team in 2018 91 Extreme only has 11-12 commits.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most of those kids are hold backs so it is possible.
Originally Posted by America's Game
My kid was at the laxachusetts open tryout and one of the club directors told the kids that they have 15 commits on their 2019 class already. This seems ridiculous to me. He also mentioned that their top team in one of the top three teams in the country. Please let me know if any of this is true. Thank you

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Colin Harrington]My kid was at the laxachusetts open tryout and one of the club directors told the kids that they have 15 commits on their 2019 class already. This seems ridiculous to me. He also mentioned that their top team in one of the top three teams in the country. Please let me know if any of this is true. Thank you

That's ridiculous. Crabs 2019 only has 1 commit on the team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It could be because most of those kids should be graduating in 2018 and 2017.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
nice turnout at bluefish tryouts today, I estimate 100-110 2019's ...as Teirney said " every helmet on the island" , lots of express and igloo, some true blue and 91... nice tryout, my son said he got some good instruction, we'll see...need a few details as to who will be coaching what...what tourneys they plan for...mostly about showcases at this point anyway, but instruction appears it will be strong...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

None of that is true - they will have early commits, yes but not anywhere close to that number, nor the number of early commits the true top programs will have.

They are good - great FO kid, who I heard is moving to the island - but nowhere near top 3. Seen them get smoked by 91 and Madlax and lost more than they won vs top 2019 teams.
Number of holdbacks will rival Maryland teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

None of that is true - they will have early commits, yes but not anywhere close to that number, nor the number of early commits the true top programs will have.

They are good - great FO kid, who I heard is moving to the island - but nowhere near top 3. Seen them get smoked by 91 and Madlax and lost more than they won vs top 2019 teams.

Lots of hype for this team, but did they make any of the tournament finals this summer? I think they lost 3 games at Big4 HHH tournament. Lost at Platinum Cup as well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lots of hype for this team, but did they make any of the tournament finals this summer? I think they lost 3 games at Big4 HHH tournament. Lost at Platinum Cup as well.

Why such posturing against Laxachusetts? Okay someone said they had a few commits. Someone questioned it. Not sure if that someone knows 2019 well. It is a good team I am quite sure they have boys in talks with schools as many of the other top 10 in the country have.

Who cares if, where, they won; were they competitive at the tournaments with the toughest competition. That is what matters from now on. It is not a race to get committed people although it may feel like a game at times.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Why such posturing against Laxachusetts? Okay someone said they had a few commits. Someone questioned it. Not sure if that someone knows 2019 well. It is a good team I am quite sure they have boys in talks with schools as many of the other top 10 in the country have.

Who cares if, where, they won; were they competitive at the tournaments with the toughest competition. That is what matters from now on. It is not a race to get committed people although it may feel like a game at times.

Don't get where your coming from. It was said and I quote a "club directors told the kids that they have 15 commits on their 2019". I pointed out that as of today the team that has historically been the top team in the 2018 age group only has 12 commits. This is a team that already played its 9th grade to 10th grade summer season and many coming after they played a full season of High School ball.

Last edited by America's Game; .
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Serious question, and not from a jealous parent, just a spectator on this board. I have a 2020 kid. At what point are these coaches going to be shown the door for these extremes of public commits of kids who have not started high school? The initial big three for ER were Hopkins, UVA and UNC in no particular order to me. All of those are pretty strident academic schools that are hard for common applicants to get in. At what point do admissions administrators say bugger off to the coaches out of not much more than principal (or worse spite)? I'd also be concerned that an Ivy program doing this before any grades are in the transcript for 9th graders. Seems like a wild projection, and admissions at those schools may feel they need to curb it by sending a message. Getting a lacrosse offer is great, but getting screwed by admissions would be a debacle for all ears down the road.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who cares what others do. You can only control what you can. Put your son in the best position possible if Lax is what he wants. Then make sure the academics is taken care of so admissions isn't an issue (while at the same time being realistic about their future).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hope you got to say that. How long till you post your own response to your own comment? Sounds like something 91 would do.....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hope you got to say that. How long till you post your own response to your own comment? Sounds like something 91 would do.....

huh?

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Serious question, and not from a jealous parent, just a spectator on this board. I have a 2020 kid. At what point are these coaches going to be shown the door for these extremes of public commits of kids who have not started high school? The initial big three for ER were Hopkins, UVA and UNC in no particular order to me. All of those are pretty strident academic schools that are hard for common applicants to get in. At what point do admissions administrators say bugger off to the coaches out of not much more than principal (or worse spite)? I'd also be concerned that an Ivy program doing this before any grades are in the transcript for 9th graders. Seems like a wild projection, and admissions at those schools may feel they need to curb it by sending a message. Getting a lacrosse offer is great, but getting screwed by admissions would be a debacle for all ears down the road.

You do understand that all an early commit is a handshake. If the student doesn't maintain their half of the bargain no admission to said school. The other thing is many schools look at a students history in school, parents, upbringing and they can somehow determine a kids academic future based on these factors. Historically they are pretty good at it. Ivys use academic index to determine a players future grades. I think with the younger commits you will see more decomitts and or revocation of offers. This is actually occurring often this year's with many 2016 graduating class early commits changing which school they will attend.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can anyone explain how can all of these current college coaches can be involved with these programs if they aren't supposed to be speaking with players younger than Junior year? Is it because the players are initiating contact by joining the team? Seems that there's an ethical issue to me. Hopefully can clear things up so I understand.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You do understand that all an early commit is a handshake. If the student doesn't maintain their half of the bargain no admission to said school. The other thing is many schools look at a students history in school, parents, upbringing and they can somehow determine a kids academic future based on these factors. Historically they are pretty good at it. Ivys use academic index to determine a players future grades. I think with the younger commits you will see more decomitts and or revocation of offers. This is actually occurring often this year's with many 2016 graduating class early commits changing which school they will attend.

Yes, that is true I know two kids that had to change from Duke and Yale because of grades.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can anyone explain how can all of these current college coaches can be involved with these programs if they aren't supposed to be speaking with players younger than Junior year? Is it because the players are initiating contact by joining the team? Seems that there's an ethical issue to me. Hopefully can clear things up so I understand.

College coaches can reach out to club coached/directors and ask the player/family to contact them. There is no limit on how many times a player can contact a coach, it just can't be the other way around.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you think lacrosse club owners and college lacrosse coaches have the brains to extrapolate and impute how a kid's academic credentials are going to go before he starts high school, you're drinking some Kool Aid they mixed, spiked and served to you. The prior poster is correct. These are informal and certainly not binding future commitments. The admissions offices won't have a cry over passing on a recruited athlete who they decline. This used to happen very infrequently when kids were recruited as juniors or seniors only 5 years ago. Now we are seeing it happen a lot. Princeton lost 3 commits, Penn 2 and Yale at least 1 this year to admissions declinations. And there may be more than are widely repeated when kids quietly "de commit" and commit elsewhere...in reality that beards what is really happening, which is admissions says no go. Still go for it to get a coach to support your son or to get a scholarship indication, but at the selective schools it gets complicated when the kid does not have the grades and scores later.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you think lacrosse club owners and college lacrosse coaches have the brains to extrapolate and impute how a kid's academic credentials are going to go before he starts high school, you're drinking some Kool Aid they mixed, spiked and served to you. The prior poster is correct. These are informal and certainly not binding future commitments. The admissions offices won't have a cry over passing on a recruited athlete who they decline. This used to happen very infrequently when kids were recruited as juniors or seniors only 5 years ago. Now we are seeing it happen a lot. Princeton lost 3 commits, Penn 2 and Yale at least 1 this year to admissions declinations. And there may be more than are widely repeated when kids quietly "de commit" and commit elsewhere...in reality that beards what is really happening, which is admissions says no go. Still go for it to get a coach to support your son or to get a scholarship indication, but at the selective schools it gets complicated when the kid does not have the grades and scores later.

Couldn't agree more! Those that can and do maintain top grades will have the most choices if they are good lax players. Academics should always be the priority and will bring you the most money.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think you need to become more aware of the recruiting process. Especially the real early ones. How in the world do you think these coaches offer scholarship money to 9th and 10th graders especially the top schools. They look at previous transcripts, speak to guidance counselors, have underclassmen take PSATS and a whole other slew of indicators to determine a students future potential. It's fact and going on as I write this.The issue is that these kids are so young there is a greater margin for error. At least in 11th grade you have 2 years under your belt of high school. We are seeing the decomitts foe all different reasons. It is happening very frequently this year especially.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

College coaches can reach out to club coached/directors and ask the player/family to contact them. There is no limit on how many times a player can contact a coach, it just can't be the other way around.
I get that but does that mean the club coach can't speak with a player on their team?

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Here is how it works. A college coach sees you play and likes what he sees. He contacts your travel or high school coach and tells them for you to call them at a paticular time. You call they answers no violation.

Last edited by America's Game; .
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What he's asking is what if your travel coach is the college coach.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is a well written and accurate response - the other side of this early recruiting to watch is roster size - some of the teams that fill early, are running very bloated roster sizes. Makes sense as the "miss factor" with 14 year old freshmen will be much higher either for lax or grades. Same scholarship numbers anyway. Kids being told how special they are waking up one day to realize their coach took 7 midfielder in their class!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The number decommits in the 2016 class is not very large at all. There Approximately 575 2016 D1 commits so far. There have been only about 25 or 26 decommits so far in that year. So the overall percentage of decommitting in the 2016 class so far it's only 4-5% at this time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Correct it is just a handshake with the coach and if the coach leaves so do does the offer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Correct it is just a handshake with the coach and if the coach leaves so do does the offer.

The number decommits in the 2016 class is not very large at all. There Approximately 575 2016 D1 commits so far. There have been only about 25 or 26 decommits so far in that year. So the overall percentage of decommitting in the 2016 class so far it's only 4-5% at this time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok- I'll give you that 4-5% is not that large, but these kids still have not applied! They still have a shot at the SAT and ACT. I think you will see many more kids scrambling in the Spring. It's sad to me, as some kids just don't have the ability to be high honor students or make a 1200 on their SATs. Parents have to be realistic too. A 90 student in middle school is not necessarily a 90 student in HS. There's a big difference between. 7th gr math and Trig. There's a lot more pressure to socialize, play various sports, regents, SATs etc. if your kid is a great athlete but an average student, it might not be a great idea to commit early to a school that is not in his academic league. Even if they get in , they have to stay in. Remember, not all schools cater to athletes and D1 and many top D3 are full time jobs on top of the academics.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

While that is small, it's the rate of increase from just a couple of years ago that's eye opening. It is most likely 300%. My projection is that number rises to better than 50 kids in the next two years, and possibly higher. The poaching is going to start to really take off.

Page 2 of 47 1 2 3 4 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard