BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,579
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 39 of 45 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 44 45
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It does not say much for a team that has to pull up frosh and even a lot of soph. The depth at the varsity level must not be there. If it's not for adding bodies what does that say for the jr or sr who is being replaced?

Cham and St Anthony's don't need to pull up because they field plenty of kids and then some.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the simple fact like it or not is cham and st. ants put a lot of kids into d1 college programs, those schools' programs prepare players for the next level. So what if a kid chooses to go there and get less play time. that is their choice, not to mention a top education. people can bash all they want but unless you are at a powerhouse public program (the usual suspects gc wi,wm smith etc ) you are really not going to get looked at unless you are on a killer travel program. if you were a college coach at a prospect day what kids would catch your attention first? the players from solid high school programs or the schools that play fluff schedules and are weak?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I would be frustrated if my Son was playing JV St.A or Chaminade as a 10th Grader. I see so many Sophmores having great seasons in Newsday. The landscape has changed with all these camps and prospect camps any public school kid has a great shot at College. If you attend these Schools for the education that's great, but if you think by going to the private schools for College Lacrosse , that's done. Syosset,Massapequa, Manh, GC, Ward Melville and Sachem carry just as much weight.

The JV coach at St. Ants. has an incredible track record of actually developing talent. It is a great bargain to be able to play JV with him and get his coaching every day.

My son plays on a public team is doing well on paper but in reality I think he is getting far less coaching.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would be frustrated if my Son was playing JV St.A or Chaminade as a 10th Grader. I see so many Sophmores having great seasons in Newsday. The landscape has changed with all these camps and prospect camps any public school kid has a great shot at College. If you attend these Schools for the education that's great, but if you think by going to the private schools for College Lacrosse , that's done. Syosset,Massapequa, Manh, GC, Ward Melville and Sachem carry just as much weight.

Interesting......49 schools in section 11 and close to same number in section 8. You were able to come up with 6 good lax schools of which 4 would be high rated acedemic schools. Your point is basically stupid....St A and Chammy play all over the tri-state area playing high quality lax and get a high quality catholic based education that is respected by college lax and admissions programs. If its not for you or your son.....Great. It has been great for my kid.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not all schools pull up to varsity even if the under classmen deserve it. Northport for example doesn't always pull up. And unfortunately, even if they do, they play the seniors more often than not and even if it at positions were the under classmen deserves to play. Nothing wrong with playing JV for a year or two even in public school and then moving up to varsity where a kid will get playing time.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There have been some very strong performances by Class of 2017 kids this year. Nice to see.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know of any D1 prospect camps on either the weekend of May 30-31 or June 6-7?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know of any D1 prospect camps on either the weekend of May 30-31 or June 6-7?

No recruiting during Memorial Day Weekend. I doubt if there is anything the following week because of State Championships.

All of the schools have summer camps.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very quiet here on the 2017 board, everyone must be satisfied with the way things are going for the boys lol Oh for the good old days of the top ten club rankings....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Club Teams are finished. With High School summer programs and committed teams the Boys are all spread out. I don't even know where everybody is. Good Luck

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very quiet here on the 2017 board, everyone must be satisfied with the way things are going for the boys lol Oh for the good old days of the top ten club rankings....

Lol. So funny. I have a younger one too. Go on the 2023 board. A lot of ranking there. Miss those days too. They will learn.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is a committed 2017 but not in LI or MD. We are noticing many of the other kids who have committed are not playing club any more or playing lesser clubs so they can be the stud. Frankly in my area varsity season is a bunch of games against mediocre teams with 3-4 competitive games. He is lucky to be on one of the competitive teams so practices are beneficial. However, I feel that it is important our son gets in the 20+ games against mostly competitive teams every summer playing club until he starts college. The commitment is of course never iron clad, and just the first step to actually getting on the field in college.

Is this common in LI?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is a committed 2017 but not in LI or MD. We are noticing many of the other kids who have committed are not playing club any more or playing lesser clubs so they can be the stud. Frankly in my area varsity season is a bunch of games against mediocre teams with 3-4 competitive games. He is lucky to be on one of the competitive teams so practices are beneficial. However, I feel that it is important our son gets in the 20+ games against mostly competitive teams every summer playing club until he starts college. The commitment is of course never iron clad, and just the first step to actually getting on the field in college.

Is this common in LI?

Yes. The kids who are serious about getting playing time in college continue to challenge themselves by playing top level competition. There are a few clubs that recruit committed players for tournaments. You could reach out to them to see if your son might be able to play. Some are FCA, Sweetlax, 3D

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He will play on the club he has been with for years as well as another team of state players, many committed, in the 2017 age group. Amazing coaches who care about him and his development, not a money grab.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Incredible to think that these kids are now sophomores and still have 2 falls and 3 summers ahead, but have few real places to go to keep competitive and challenged. Club ball is so watered down to begin with, then it just gets diluted by committed kids and their parents just not wanting to stay with that money grab shuffle. I can't blame them since club ball has become with few exceptions a complete waste. What to do? College coaches are going to be very underwhelmed to see kids who have not developed in their last 2-3 years of HS. I am really concerned there isn't a place to go to fill the competitive cup. Ideas anyone?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Incredible to think that these kids are now sophomores and still have 2 falls and 3 summers ahead, but have few real places to go to keep competitive and challenged. Club ball is so watered down to begin with, then it just gets diluted by committed kids and their parents just not wanting to stay with that money grab shuffle. I can't blame them since club ball has become with few exceptions a complete waste. What to do? College coaches are going to be very underwhelmed to see kids who have not developed in their last 2-3 years of HS. I am really concerned there isn't a place to go to fill the competitive cup. Ideas anyone?

yes play the summer circuit with your HS team?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

yes play the summer circuit with your HS team?

Not always possible, HS teams play for different clubs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Work out and play with High School team

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We're not from LI meaning that considering my son goes to a public school, training non-HS season with the HS won't do anything to help him develop. I can see the bennies of private schools for lacrosse, but think it is silly to cough up tens of thousands in tuition to get to lacrosse training. Has this sport evolved into something that can offer decent training somewhere? I just don't know. 3 club tournaments is ok I guess, but my guess is a lot of commits are ditching club lacrosse. And that basically means 100% of the kids who play at decent prep school programs. What to do?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We're not from LI meaning that considering my son goes to a public school, training non-HS season with the HS won't do anything to help him develop. I can see the bennies of private schools for lacrosse, but think it is silly to cough up tens of thousands in tuition to get to lacrosse training. Has this sport evolved into something that can offer decent training somewhere? I just don't know. 3 club tournaments is ok I guess, but my guess is a lot of commits are ditching club lacrosse. And that basically means 100% of the kids who play at decent prep school programs. What to do?

Go to a gym and work out. Wall Ball. Play with High School team. Old fashioned way works best

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are right. Just plain working out and doing drills is solid. I am going to cajole my son to rally his mates to just meet informally to play pick up lacrosse. Works for basketball players.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are right. Just plain working out and doing drills is solid. I am going to cajole my son to rally his mates to just meet informally to play pick up lacrosse. Works for basketball players.

Also if your son is committed he should go to the schools camp. There are pros and cons to that, but overall I think it is a plus.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i agree. my son is a 2018 goalie currently starting on JV and will be playing with varsity for the summer doing showcases and a few prospect days. I have had it with the $3000 summers with the damn travel teams. Not necessary. He made a list of schools he is interested in from a lax as well as educational standpoint and that is what we are focusing on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i agree. my son is a 2018 goalie currently starting on JV and will be playing with varsity for the summer doing showcases and a few prospect days. I have had it with the $3000 summers with the damn travel teams. Not necessary. He made a list of schools he is interested in from a lax as well as educational standpoint and that is what we are focusing on.

Whoooooaaaaaa, hold on! I don't think you understand, you need to hold your kid back a year (or at least say you are going to) pay 10K for team fees, travel and film, hire a nutritionist, speed coach and strength trainer; attend multiple showcases and showcase qualifiers; a few camps, and spend 2K having a hilight reel made …. EDUCATIONAL STANDPOINT????? What does that even mean? Does your kid play soccer or something? grin

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We are from LI and we have 8 D1 committed players on our varsity team and none of them, including my son, plays for a travel team. They don't want injury.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We are from LI and we have 8 D1 committed players on our varsity team and none of them, including my son, plays for a travel team. They don't want injury.

That is interesting, my son's future coach indicated to him he should play club, we are in a non-hotbed and I'd love to have him skip our Varsity season, too many hacks and a bizarre coaching situation.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Herein lies one of the issues with early recruiting. Giving up on competition and development way too soon. I'm sure you'll say that your kid is working hard to keep his skills up. Nothing like good game competition to prepare for D1 lacrosse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What school has 8 d-1 commits with none playing club? Are they all seniors?

Or, perhaps they gave up club and are only playing on the schools travel team?

For the boys I know to be committed, they are all playing with the HS travel team--might as well be club, same practices and similar number of tournaments--5

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They need to keep developing their skills. That is a mistake to stop playing.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

So your speaking for all 8 D1 commits on your team. I am sorry but most elite athletes don't play with the fear of getting hurt. If you play with that you cant truly play at the top of your game. Its 110% for these top D1 athletes all the time. That's what separates them from the average player. That uncanny ability to play at a high level for extended periods of time. Not just spurts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They need to keep developing their skills. That is a mistake to stop playing.

Yes, they stop plying not because they're afraid of getting hurt, it's because they are afraid of looking bad on the field.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, not that I could blame parents and kids for wanting to pass on $3,000 worth of watered down club ball this summer but this is just abysmal on many levels. The club tournaments are now set up so that there's a free for all to sign up 40,50,80...teams for a cowfield event with maybe a handful of decent club teams that don't play each other until the end. Now if top kids drop playing club, the garbage can smells even more. This is a disaster for the kids and the coaches who recruited them. There isn't any way kids will develop unless they are being competitively challenged. So unless your kid goes to a prep school doing year round lacrosse, that is just not available? What a joke. My son will do summer club for a good 2017 team, but I am already hearing this kid and that kid may just blow it off. Kids who didn't get recruited or committed just don't want to do it because they feel it is too late and no point, committed kids just don't want to do it either because they feel they don't need to. So sit on the couch all summer? Jesus what a mess.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, not that I could blame parents and kids for wanting to pass on $3,000 worth of watered down club ball this summer but this is just abysmal on many levels. The club tournaments are now set up so that there's a free for all to sign up 40,50,80...teams for a cowfield event with maybe a handful of decent club teams that don't play each other until the end. Now if top kids drop playing club, the garbage can smells even more. This is a disaster for the kids and the coaches who recruited them. There isn't any way kids will develop unless they are being competitively challenged. So unless your kid goes to a prep school doing year round lacrosse, that is just not available? What a joke. My son will do summer club for a good 2017 team, but I am already hearing this kid and that kid may just blow it off. Kids who didn't get recruited or committed just don't want to do it because they feel it is too late and no point, committed kids just don't want to do it either because they feel they don't need to. So sit on the couch all summer? Jesus what a mess.

Can you imagine just playing for the fun of the sport?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can you imagine just playing for the fun of the sport?

Most parents don't fully understand the college recruiting process. Once your committed, the expectation is that your son will continue to grow as an athlete and lacrosse player.

The high school teams are fun, but reality is the teams are diluted with kids who are not year round lacrosse players. Only real way to keep challenged is to play some form of club. Until a new system of post committed tournaments is created that is the best we have now.

Reality is most committed kids are nervous about looking bad post commitment and prior to signing LOI

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
anyone know what happened to ty xanders? Seemed to have disappeared from twitter

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
He is on twitter as I write this. talking about Boys Latin and St. Paul's game

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by America's Game
He is on twitter as I write this. talking about Boys Latin and St. Paul's game

Must have accidentally deleted him, what was I thinking?? Lol

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hadn't looked at his tweets for some time, but doesn't look like he's evolved much. If you want to know every detail on the MIAA or the Washington DC prep scene he is your minute to minute guy. Lacrosse could sure use someone with a wider lens who is less apt to just hype anything local because he went to one of those prep schools. Sure the MIAA and the DC prep league have strong high school teams and players, but I think we all know there are strong teams and players elsewhere. Didn't a California team recently swing through and hang some losses on the MD preps? That must have bruised a few egos.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
HS lacrosse will never get the proper coverage it deserves with localized coverage and bloggers. TY lives in Baltimore so he will cover games close to him. Unless a major network organization picks up HS lacrosse we will never get great unbiased national coverage. I am not 100% sure which school he went to (I think St Pauls School)but I do know he gives MD schools a bit more love. Lets also hope he doesn't get funding (advertising dollars on his site, plane tickets to cover tournaments, etc.) from one of the bigger travel programs because than it will be all about that team and its players.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by America's Game
HS lacrosse will never get the proper coverage it deserves with localized coverage and bloggers. TY lives in Baltimore so he will cover games close to him. Unless a major network organization picks up HS lacrosse we will never get great unbiased national coverage. I am not 100% sure which school he went to (I think St Pauls School)but I do know he gives MD schools a bit more love. Lets also hope he doesn't get funding (advertising dollars on his site, plane tickets to cover tournaments, etc.) from one of the bigger travel programs because than it will be all about that team and its players.

How is it possible he does not get paid by the events and event owners that he covers? Where else is revenue in what he does??

Page 39 of 45 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard