BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,228
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 227 of 327 1 2 225 226 227 228 229 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by baldbear
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Honest question as we are new to this. If you go to the Yellow Jacket alumni tab on their website, it says almost 65-75 kids have committed in each of the last three years. Does that mean almost every single kid is playing in the college listed or at the very end they just list the college the girls are attending. The list kind of implies that no kid chooses not to play in college and that everyone from the 3rd team is playing in college? Would love to know what percent of the 75 actually are on college teams and what percent got money. It is a very impressive number of girls

I posted the following in July of 2014 and I will follow up after each season. This is based on the 2013 YJ Class. I can't help you with your money question but this will help regarding the playing question. Hope it helps.

*****From July 2014 Post*****

I'm picking this thread to list the following because it is the 2014 Spring girls and there has been some discussion about age, playing time, etc.

The following is a breakdown of the Class of 2013 YJ commits and their playing time in their first year of playing college lacrosse. The list was 66 girls (from the website) of all YJ teams across all college divisions. (Disclaimer--I was a YJ parent and my daughter is not represented by this group. I read the YJ thread and things seemed nicer back in the day).

I broke it down as follows: (Strictly by games played)

1) "Impact" player played most games
2) "Played" is about 50% of games with statistical contribution
3) "Not Significant" played in a handful of games with little statistical contribution
4) "Did Not Play"--self explanatory but injury or transfer a possibility

45% of the 2013 commits were "Impact" players
11% of the 2013 commits "Played"
36% of the 2013 commits were "Not Significant"
8% "Did Not Play"

Just food for thought. If I can remember I'll try to follow this class to 2017.

the reeal question is are they still there in 2016 & 2017?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would imagine the bottom 50% are burnt out and the lack of playing time drives them to start giving up lacrosse for a social life, internships and work. The girls that commit to these big programs are not only owned by the sport and their coaches but they are actually told by many coaches what majors they need to take to be a part of the team. Need to keep it fun and not touching the ball isn't fun for anyone. That's why so many girls are quitting in High School.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Did you find any girls that were not on the lax roster of the school they committed to?

I did not. However I checked tonight and three (out of five) of the "Did Not Play" are not on the rosters of the teams they committed to. A very un-scientific Google search did not bring any of the three onto any rosters. The other two are on the rosters of the teams they committed to.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
Did you find any girls that were not on the lax roster of the school they committed to?

I know of at least one who committed to play another sport yet is still listed on the YJ commit list.

Thanks for the information.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I would imagine the bottom 50% are burnt out and the lack of playing time drives them to start giving up lacrosse for a social life, internships and work. The girls that commit to these big programs are not only owned by the sport and their coaches but they are actually told by many coaches what majors they need to take to be a part of the team. Need to keep it fun and not touching the ball isn't fun for anyone. That's why so many girls are quitting in High School.

The D1 four year rate for LI student athletes over the past 15 years is about 45%--so you do have a 55% burn rate. That is not a YJ number. I started with 2013 YJ to try and track a trend; from casual observation YJ burnout rate is considerably lower but I wanted to track a couple of classes to see if my inclination holds up.

You can add studying abroad as another reason for girls to give up the sport. When I help match a student to a school and ask "What else do you want out of college" studying abroad, internships, other sports and academics are big factors. That's where a lot of D3 schools come into play. Scholarship money for sports is not available but there is a lot of needs based money out there.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Honest question as we are new to this. If you go to the Yellow Jacket alumni tab on their website, it says almost 65-75 kids have committed in each of the last three years. Does that mean almost every single kid is playing in the college listed or at the very end they just list the college the girls are attending. The list kind of implies that no kid chooses not to play in college and that everyone from the 3rd team is playing in college? Would love to know what percent of the 75 actually are on college teams and what percent got money. It is a very impressive number of girls

I posted the following in July of 2014 and I will follow up after each season. This is based on the 2013 YJ Class. I can't help you with your money question but this will help regarding the playing question. Hope it helps.

*****From July 2014 Post*****

I'm picking this thread to list the following because it is the 2014 Spring girls and there has been some discussion about age, playing time, etc.

The following is a breakdown of the Class of 2013 YJ commits and their playing time in their first year of playing college lacrosse. The list was 66 girls (from the website) of all YJ teams across all college divisions. (Disclaimer--I was a YJ parent and my daughter is not represented by this group. I read the YJ thread and things seemed nicer back in the day).

I broke it down as follows: (Strictly by games played)

1) "Impact" player played most games
2) "Played" is about 50% of games with statistical contribution
3) "Not Significant" played in a handful of games with little statistical contribution
4) "Did Not Play"--self explanatory but injury or transfer a possibility

45% of the 2013 commits were "Impact" players
11% of the 2013 commits "Played"
36% of the 2013 commits were "Not Significant"
8% "Did Not Play"

Just food for thought. If I can remember I'll try to follow this class to 2017.

the reeal question is are they still there in 2016 & 2017?

Which is why I have painfully taken on this endeavor!! LI-wide the burnout rate over the past 15 years is about 55%.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The D1 four year rate for LI student athletes over the past 15 years is about 45%--so you do have a 55% burn rate. That is not a YJ number. I started with 2013 YJ to try and track a trend; from casual observation YJ burnout rate is considerably lower but I wanted to track a couple of classes to see if my inclination holds up.

You can add studying abroad as another reason for girls to give up the sport. When I help match a student to a school and ask "What else do you want out of college" studying abroad, internships, other sports and academics are big factors. That's where a lot of D3 schools come into play. Scholarship money for sports is not available but there is a lot of needs based money out there.

This is great stuff THANK YOU, add this in as well - A 20 year old finally has enough guts to tell her hard pushing parents that enough is enough and they want to do other things. Every summer travel parent will tell you my daughter loves it, our family loves etc. but the parents are the ones still pulling the strings at 10 - 17 years of age pushing for their daughters early college commitment. After 2 years away at college with lacrosse controlling everything 55% pull the plug especially if they aren't getting meaningful minutes or like what the HS thread is saying THEY ARENT TOUCHING THE BALL!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think the 50% "burn rate" is probably the norm for most college sports - not just women's lacrosse. I played a D1 sport in college and about half of my freshman class didn't do much by graduation. College has a lot to offer other than sports.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I think the 50% "burn rate" is probably the norm for most college sports - not just women's lacrosse. I played a D1 sport in college and about half of my freshman class didn't do much by graduation. College has a lot to offer other than sports.

You are correct. Looking at all collegiate sports the more physical the sport (football, hockey) the higher the "burn rate"; this can be attributed to injury (and possible academics, but that's for another thread). Want to guess the highest? Crew. It is a an anomaly however; there are far less teams so the sample size can get skewed. The lowest? Fencing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it me or is youth girls lacrosse just the most frustrating game to watch sometimes. Girls don't pass, are very selfish with the ball, and have limited ability to play in a team oriented style. It seems to be the only sport where selfishness gets rewarded with playing time and goal scoring. Can't imagine ever seeing an open player in a basketball game being ignored so that a point guard could dribble past them to score for themselves. But in youth girls lax, it is the norm.

Good high school teams and college teams are great to watch. But at this young age, it is infuriating. Am I alone?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it me or is youth girls lacrosse just the most frustrating game to watch sometimes. Girls don't pass, are very selfish with the ball, and have limited ability to play in a team oriented style. It seems to be the only sport where selfishness gets rewarded with playing time and goal scoring. Can't imagine ever seeing an open player in a basketball game being ignored so that a point guard could dribble past them to score for themselves. But in youth girls lax, it is the norm.

Good high school teams and college teams are great to watch. But at this young age, it is infuriating. Am I alone?

You are not alone. However, I place blame on the coaches who allow this. If a girl does this more than once you sit her and explain that it is a team game. If she does it again, you sit her for a half, etc., etc. She will get the gist very quickly.

However, one of the problems in girls youth lacrosse are the rules. As an example, there is the 2 pass rule at the younger ages. Here is what happens in 95% plus of the youth games - as soon as two passes are made - usually two of the best girls on a give and go - every coach and every parent screams the same thing - "go to goal!" Every defensive coach screams the same thing - "swarm, swarm!"

Teach the girls early on how to play team defense and team offense. Sometimes they may make no passes and they may go to goal. Other times it may be 5 or 6 passes. You can't teach girls to play man to man defense and just shut off so to deny 2 passes without playing real team defense.

Let the girls play the right way from the beginning. If a girl goes to goal every time - then shut her off with faceguard just like they do in college and HS.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has anybody heard anything about U-15 Nationals? What teams are going and are they taking any 2019 players?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has anybody heard anything about U-15 Nationals? What teams are going and are they taking any 2019 players?

If recent history says anything 2019 blue will go to a qualifying tournament to get a bid into the tournament along with the two top 2018 teams. (just like last year)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If recent history says anything 2019 blue will go to a qualifying tournament to get a bid into the tournament along with the two top 2018 teams. (just like last year)

Doesn't YJ get 3 automatic entries based on last years top 3 finishes? If any team goes to a qualifier, it will be the 2019 Mitchell team to make it 4 YJ teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are not alone. However, I place blame on the coaches who allow this. If a girl does this more than once you sit her and explain that it is a team game. If she does it again, you sit her for a half, etc., etc. She will get the gist very quickly.

However, one of the problems in girls youth lacrosse are the rules. As an example, there is the 2 pass rule at the younger ages. Here is what happens in 95% plus of the youth games - as soon as two passes are made - usually two of the best girls on a give and go - every coach and every parent screams the same thing - "go to goal!" Every defensive coach screams the same thing - "swarm, swarm!"

Teach the girls early on how to play team defense and team offense. Sometimes they may make no passes and they may go to goal. Other times it may be 5 or 6 passes. You can't teach girls to play man to man defense and just shut off so to deny 2 passes without playing real team defense.

Let the girls play the right way from the beginning. If a girl goes to goal every time - then shut her off with faceguard just like they do in college and HS.

Did you seriously post sitting selfish players on the yellow jacket thread? Who would be left to play?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So your saying Mitchell's team has more talented players than Carro's team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
More coachabled

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So your saying Mitchell's team has more talented players than Carro's team?

Who said that? Are you dense? Carro's team is in automatically.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
very considerate of CR to let all concerned (2018s and 2019s) know what is going on… tying them up from other camps.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
very considerate of CR to let all concerned (2018s and 2019s) know what is going on… tying them up from other camps.

Are there tryouts for the U15 team? If so, when are they? Anyone know?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

YJ sends teams, not really a try out deal. TG does the tryouts, which creates enormous issues.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not dense "tough guy" 2019 top blue team was told by coach that they r not going as a team only a "select few" will be picked...know it all

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

YJ sends teams, not really a try out deal. TG does the tryouts, which creates enormous issues.

Last year there were tryouts I believe in MayJune? for the first team with the automatic bid, that team was mostly 17 Huff with some 16 Defo. Then Rose's 18 and Bert's 17 teams went to qualify at UMASS and both did... All 3 teams finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd in Denver.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not dense "tough guy" 2019 top blue team was told by coach that they r not going as a team only a "select few" will be picked...know it all

Since you "know it all" why would you have to ask any questions?

My point was (since you need it spelled out) that the program has 3 automatic entries in the U15 Tourney and that if a 4th team was going to try and earn a spot at a qualifier, it would stand to reason, that team would be the 2nd 2019 team. You inferred something about more talented players being on the second 2019 team, so maybe you have a complex or a chip on your shoulder or both.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The YJs have 3 automatic bids for this year's U15 which is for 2018 players. There is always some overlap in classes b/c of the birth date cutoff dates. Nothwithstanding, if you have three teams at that age group, which the YJs do, they should IMO send those three teams to the U15 tournament. Let the 2019 teams qualify. They will have their chance next year when they fit within the age grouping, or can try to qualify this year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My point was (since you need it spelled out) that the program has 3 automatic entries in the U15 Tourney and that if a 4th team was going to try and earn a spot at a qualifier, it would stand to reason, that team would be the 2nd 2019 team. You inferred something about more talented players being on the second 2019 team, so maybe you have a complex or a chip on your shoulder or both.

Why would it be the 2019 2nd team? Why not the 2018 3rd team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why would it be the 2019 2nd team? Why not the 2018 3rd team?

For the same reason that the 1st 2018 team went to the qualifier last year, not the 3rd 2017 team, they had a better chance to compete.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seriously are you all that dense.YJ gets to send 3 teams, the top team will be CR team with a few age eligible 2017 players. That means 2018 team 2 will get a few from CR team who get bumped by the 2017 players, that of course means a few from team 2 will get bumped to team 3 which will end up being composed of those kids, the better team 3 players and some 2019 players who have kissed enough fannies to be asked.Team 3 will have no chance at winning and in my opinion would lose to the top 2019 team.Carro should put his team into qualifier but that team is a mess with all the players just out for themselves so will never happen

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow!!! Dense boy, you're the one that sounds angry!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good to see there is lots of love being shown in YJ land

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wake up, the U15 tournament is a joke. Most of the top teams not even going. Hav e fun competing against yourselves.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wake up, the U15 tournament is a joke. Most of the top teams not even going. Hav e fun competing against yourselves.
fear the bee

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Okay then which tournament has all the best teams going. US lacrosse does a nice job trying to hold a competitive tournament with pool play that matters into a seeded tournament . Some of the so called better clubs do not go using varying pathetic reasons when everyone knows that the age based tournament levels the playing field and they do not want to be embarrassed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Okay then which tournament has all the best teams going. US lacrosse does a nice job trying to hold a competitive tournament with pool play that matters into a seeded tournament . Some of the so called better clubs do not go using varying pathetic reasons when everyone knows that the age based tournament levels the playing field and they do not want to be embarrassed.

It will be interesting to see which clubs show up this year. The old complaint was the travel. I agree that the Florida and Colorado locations stink. My best guess is US Lacrosse is trying to distinguish this tournament from the mess of mid Atlantic /noreast tournaments that currently clog up the summer, but at what inconvenience? They should have lead in qualifying tournaments and only have a handful of actual competitors for the final weekend. Sorry but too many uncompetitive teams round out the field. At least it is a bench mark opportunity for clubs to see where they are nationally.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The " better clubs" don't go because it's not a recruiting event and has no college coaches attending, thais the whole reason for playing club to begin with. The only clubs that care are the ones from areas where lacrosse is just emerging, and Long Island where parents care about bragging rights. my daughter competed in it a few years ago, it's a cute little tourney with no real value as far as recruiting, or as far as determining a real national champ. without the major Mid-Atlantic clubs attending it's meaningless.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The " better clubs" don't go because it's not a recruiting event and has no college coaches attending, thais the whole reason for playing club to begin with. The only clubs that care are the ones from areas where lacrosse is just emerging, and Long Island where parents care about bragging rights. my daughter competed in it a few years ago, it's a cute little tourney with no real value as far as recruiting, or as far as determining a real national champ. without the major Mid-Atlantic clubs attending it's meaningless.

Completely disagree , first if all the best clubs went there would be more college coaches. If being recruited is the only reason your kid plays club lacrosse that is a sad statement. My kid plays because she likes playing, because she likes hanging out with her friends on the team, to learn and play in competitive games, to have fun and on and on and if it helps her get into a school the n even better. Keep using the same old excuses but I guess your kid only plays in recruiting tournaments then and not school ball or local tournaments or a winter league . We here on Long Island get it may be difficult for you MId Atlantic studs to compete when you have to play age appropriate.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yet Us YJ's go every year at a huge expense

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yet Us YJ's go every year at a huge expense

And you are also "forced" to buy all of the YJ U15 gear they suggest you buy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Completely disagree , first if all the best clubs went there would be more college coaches. If being recruited is the only reason your kid plays club lacrosse that is a sad statement. My kid plays because she likes playing, because she likes hanging out with her friends on the team, to learn and play in competitive games, to have fun and on and on and if it helps her get into a school the n even better. Keep using the same old excuses but I guess your kid only plays in recruiting tournaments then and not school ball or local tournaments or a winter league . We here on Long Island get it may be difficult for you MId Atlantic studs to compete when you have to play age appropriate.
It's your prerogative to disagree, but I don't think you know much about recruiting, and nothing about my daughter. most coaches have attended the I.W.L.C.A. events, camps, clinics, and of course just finished there seasons, and would like to go home and see there family for the last month of the summer before having to start up fall ball in late August, so the U-15 is never going to become a big deal unless they move the date. My daughter loves lacrosse more than life. She has been playing since the 3rd grade in P.A.L. Travel since the 6th grade, summer ball after travel, fall ball, then winter, clinics and camps both on Long Island and off of it. Varsity starter since freshman year. She volunteer coaches both teams and individuals. I think if your spending about $3,000.00 a year for your daughter to hang out with her friends and "learn" the game of lacrosse i think that A. you're daughter isn't that good and she's playing on one of those 5th or 6th elite Y.J. teams,or B. you're trying to lie to everyone, including yourself, about how much you want to brag about being a U-15 champ mom.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is the most inane argument! If you want a chance to call yourself National Champion, then show up at the US Lacrosse U15 tournament. If not, just sit down and shut up.

Like Reply Quote
Page 227 of 327 1 2 225 226 227 228 229 326 327
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard