BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 111 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 110 111
Re: CHAMINADE Lacrosse. Stories and news.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Washington and lee in the same sentence with those others? nice try. academics are strong there no doubt, but please don't sneak them in as a powerhouse lax team.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree. this poster is someone who wants to be a snob so badly.....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You know what is so sad here watching grown men living vicariously through their sons sports. Why is it so hard to believe and understand its not an embarrassment for private school to lose to public school, both have a lot of great athletic kids. Why is it so hard to believe that even though a young man may play lacrosse that their parents are willing to spend for the Chaminade tuition based on their academics and the values instilled learned at Chaminade.

My son plays lacrosse but we chose the school to bring him around other intelligent kids and steer him away spending four years with the types of boys and girls raised by people who put down kids and think lacrosse is everything. When sports are over I want my son to have a great education in the real world and pride for the school he attended and all the classmates. Could not see that happening in public school with the jughead mentality of parents only focused on sports.

Got news for you. All boys surrounded by clergy enclosed in a bubble. Hardly "real world" and will be a more difficult social adjustment to college than a public school.

That's true, by all accounts college will not be as challenging academically as HS was for the Chami kids and that has been the concenus for 30 years - ask any alum or recent grad and that's the answer that tou will get

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Washington & Lee reference was in response to a comment that Massapequa players were getting into better schools. Not better lax schools. Are you now going to tell me that Hofstra and Albany are better schools than W&L? Nice to pick out one school out of a multi-school list to (weakly) attack. Proves the point.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Over the winter, a couple parents sponsored clinics for the boys that were trying out for the Chaminade JV team. The JV coaches ran the clinics. I understand that the announcement for the first set of clinics was posted on a school bulletin board. I think the announcement for the second session was emailed to a smaller subset of the boys. This was great for the boys who participated, because the coaches got to know them, and they learned the drills that were going to be used in the tryouts. However, some of the boys did not attend because: 1) they played winter sports; 2) they did not find out about the clinics; or 3) they could not afford the clinics (around $300 total, plus "donations" to the coaches). Two questions:

1) Do parents at other schools do something similar?

2) Are there rules for this type of activity?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Over the winter, a couple parents sponsored clinics for the boys that were trying out for the Chaminade JV team. The JV coaches ran the clinics. I understand that the announcement for the first set of clinics was posted on a school bulletin board. I think the announcement for the second session was emailed to a smaller subset of the boys. This was great for the boys who participated, because the coaches got to know them, and they learned the drills that were going to be used in the tryouts. However, some of the boys did not attend because: 1) they played winter sports; 2) they did not find out about the clinics; or 3) they could not afford the clinics (around $300 total, plus "donations" to the coaches). Two questions:

Sounds like a nightmare. When you say a few parents "sponsored" these clinics, exactly what does "sponsoring" entail? Can we assume that the boys of the parents who "sponsored" these clinics were all safely on the call back email for the 2nd clinic?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
These parents set up the location, dates, coordinated with the coaches, and collected the money. One of these parents also sent the email for the second session, so yes, they were all on the email for the second session.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds like a nightmare. When you say a few parents "sponsored" these clinics, exactly what does "sponsoring" entail? Can we assume that the boys of the parents who "sponsored" these clinics were all safely on the call back email for the 2nd clinic?

Selectively choosing kids before tryouts? Paying for play with school coaches? Excluding certain kids? Heavy parental involvement? Are these all part of the special set of morals and values the students at Chaminade are taught? Sounds like a money grab, pay for play, under the table job if you ask me. Ya know, because it's all about academics over there. What nonsense... Clear example of how this school is all about money, politics and privilege. You can keep that dump, this crap just doesn't happen at our highly rated public. Imagine paying to deal with this garbage????

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No different than CSH parents organizing out of state events and every Crease Booster Club on LI. Cozy up to coaches so your kid sticks and plays.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's like this everywhere now. The coaches allow the parents to have heavy involvement because the parents pay the coaches. In my town there are no try outs anymore. The team is picked before the first practice including what underclassman move up. No opportunity to compete for spots or playing time anymore.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's like this everywhere now. The coaches allow the parents to have heavy involvement because the parents pay the coaches. In my town there are no try outs anymore. The team is picked before the first practice including what underclassman move up. No opportunity to compete for spots or playing time anymore.

If Chaminade is going to allow this BS, then they should allow 9th and 10th graders to play up on Varsity, which is very mild in comparison to paying off the JV coaches. How the JV coaches are ok with opening themselves up to such criticism for a few extra bucks is beyond me. Somebody should alert the school's AD.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah but Chaminade is supposed to be better than everybody else. I guess the flesh is weak on Jericho Turnpike as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If Chaminade is going to allow this BS, then they should allow 9th and 10th graders to play up on Varsity, which is very mild in comparison to paying off the JV coaches. How the JV coaches are ok with opening themselves up to such criticism for a few extra bucks is beyond me. Somebody should alert the school's AD.

You people don't understand. It's not that they cant play varsity, its that they are not better than the upper classman. Just because in public school they throw your kid on varsity to keep you happy, they aren't concerned here.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You people don't understand. It's not that they cant play varsity, its that they are not better than the upper classman. Just because in public school they throw your kid on varsity to keep you happy, they aren't concerned here.

No. They just accept re-classed students. The parents decide their sons will have an opportunity to play if they have their academically sound sons, who were lready accepted the prior January, repeat the 8th grade and reapply to the freshman class one year later.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your avoiding and trying to deflect the conversation from the issue of the day - indefensible pay for play and exclusionary clinics held by JV coaches.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your avoiding and trying to deflect the conversation from the issue of the day - indefensible pay for play and exclusionary clinics held by JV coaches.

No. No deflecting. I agree completely that is ridiculous. But everyone knows it when they sign up for Chammy, KBerg and St Anthonys ! Go Express !!

(Freshman still shouldn't be on varsity )

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No. No deflecting. I agree completely that is ridiculous. But everyone knows it when they sign up for Chammy, KBerg and St Anthonys ! Go Express !!

You can't make a blanket statement that freshmen shouldn't be on Varsity, my son is starting as a freshman, he was the leading scorer during scrimmages and has 6 points in his first two games. If a kid can contribute on Varsity, why should he regress on a JV or Fresh/Soph team because of his age. I thought schools were supposed to be challenge our children in all aspects.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
tell the coach

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
tell the coach
Oh, he's hearing it loud and clear. Things will change. It may take time but it will definitely change. They cannot be this kind of outlier forever. No other high end lacrosse program in the country that I'm aware of (not including St. A's) has such a rigid stratification. It's unnecessary and is keeping a lot of great players at home and being sent elsewhere who would have otherwise helped Chaminade immensely.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If I can play devils advocate on this issue - should they not have done this because some kids are playing winter sports or can not afford this? they have to collect money because the indoor facility costs money and if a parent did not organize this it would not have gotten done. It is not perfect but bending over backwards to be fair is really catering to the weakest links not the strongest.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the devil would be very proud of you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am all for training clinics, but why have the school coaches there?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You can't make a blanket statement that freshmen shouldn't be on Varsity, my son is starting as a freshman, he was the leading scorer during scrimmages and has 6 points in his first two games. If a kid can contribute on Varsity, why should he regress on a JV or Fresh/Soph team because of his age. I thought schools were supposed to be challenge our children in all aspects.

Great for your son. He is certainly the exception. What top 10 school in the country is he the leading scorer for as a freshman?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This goes on at virtually every public school in same way, shape or form

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The aforementioned schools all have 300-400 boys per grade, if they can't field a team with their 11 and 12 graders that would be very sad

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And also to the formentioned schools players,college coaches know full well that even an amazing Junior at St.Ants or Chaminade will wait their respective turn to play as seniors,if there is a good amount of Seniors already in that position...I was told directly by a college coach that they will recruit from the benches of St.Ants or Chammy because the player had to be good just to be considered on such a competetive team. At St.Ant's in fact, there were Varsity cuts this year and about 10 boys know they will never get field time in a game but yet they stay and practice.
Good Luck to all the boys!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
tell the coach
Oh, he's hearing it loud and clear. Things will change. It may take time but it will definitely change. They cannot be this kind of outlier forever. No other high end lacrosse program in the country that I'm aware of (not including St. A's) has such a rigid stratification. It's unnecessary and is keeping a lot of great players at home and being sent elsewhere who would have otherwise helped Chaminade immensely.

You people are talking about this like it's the 11th Commandment. "Thou shall not play Freshmen on Varsity". I don't know first hand about Chaminade but at St A's this is at the discretion of the Varsity coach. IF he has a superstar Freshmen and IF he has a need for another superstar on Varsity, he can move him up. The first "IF" is not that uncommon, it's the second "IF" that is the rarity.

With the large talent pool, the coaches can favor upperclassmen and give them the playing opportunity while keeping a better Freshman player on a team that plays a very competitive schedule. The upperclassman are able to continue playing the sport and the underclassmen stay challenged and competitive.

They do move Freshmen up to JV (did it this year). Now before you start screaming "that's where they play in the public's", I only mention it to point out that it's not chiseled in stone and the coaches make a decision on what is best for the player, team and most of all, the program.

I may not know what I'm talking about as much as others posting on this thread but the systems seem to be working at both schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yean but they are not getting reps which will be important when they go to a d1 school.
lets take a team like Syosset that has 3-4 freshman starters and playing good competition.
I would think the d1 coach would like the season 4 year starter over the 2nd string chaminade player.
Come lets be real chaminade parents

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
U
Yean but they are not getting reps which will be important when they go to a d1 school.
lets take a team like Syosset that has 3-4 freshman starters and playing good competition.
I would think the d1 coach would like the season 4 year starter over the 2nd string chaminade player.

Lets all move to syosset.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

one legit starter and three getting a lot of playing time but that by no way means that they are better then the freshman at Chaminade or would even start or be stars on Chaminade freshman team just that they are very good players and fill a need for their team.....IMHO

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Syosset 3 to more freshman starters?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm certain the Freshmen are outstanding players, however, would they be starting (or even on Varsity) if there were better upper clansmen? The coach's main objective is to do what's best for the team and program, not get Freshmen committed. If the Freshmen make the team better (and I'm sure they do), then he can accomplish both.

Are there Freshmen at St A's of Cham that would make the Varsity better? I don't know. If the coaches believe so they will be up there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
U

College coaches will also tel you that they want players with upside and that the kid who's been playing year round lax and nothing else and has 4-5 years of varsity experience might very well have already hit his ceiling...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This goes on at virtually every public school in same way, shape or form

Whats reprehensible is the exclusionary second call-back by secretive email. Was there a second larger payment for the now "chosen ones" select sub-group who were called back or did the first round of suckers who weren't called back subsidize the subsequent sessions for the chosen ones? Just gross.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
U

College coaches will also tel you that they want players with upside and that the kid who's been playing year round lax and nothing else and has 4-5 years of varsity experience might very well have already hit his ceiling...

Don't follow the logic here.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
U

Here we go... Yeah they should play football right? Take a look at the top recruits in 2018 from LI, most are lax only. There goes that theory...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chaminade and St A dont need to move their sophs to varsity because thier JV teams would beat 70% of the Long Island Varsity teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chaminade and St A dont need to move their sophs to varsity because thier JV teams would beat 70% of the Long Island Varsity teams.

More like 20% on a good day!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
...the land of no please, thank you, just gimmie, I'll take...I hate going 1 town over there for breakfast food because of that attitude, but it is good--as is their lax team this year...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many Syosset players are going D1 next year ? How many are at D1 schools now making an impact or even getting playing time ? You make it sound like every freshmen because they get moved up automatically go D1. How many freshmen at Syosset are committed D1 players ?

You really want to compare to Chaminade

Like Reply Quote
Page 6 of 111 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 110 111
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard