BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,579
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 29 of 128 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 127 128
Re: Crabs Lacrosse / Baltimore Lacrosse Club
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is big for his age (97 percentile for height and weight) and I still am not a fan of holdbacks. Although I guess I accept it because it's the culture. But the older holdbacks have a clear advantage, regardless of size, with motor skill development, muscle development, and cognitive thinking.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think the hold back is the biggest advantage during the ages of 13 to 15. I think before these ages and after these ages its not a big advantage. I think the best compromise would to enforce a single age limit for these three age groups. So a 13 year old only then 14 and 15. Then go back after that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Make it real easy and follow USA Hockey and just play year of birth.If you hold back you still have to play your birth year

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think it comes down to what you feel is fair. If you think a 24 months gap is fair for a divsion of play or do you think it should be 12 month of a gap in age is a fair divsion? I know it ok when a team of mostly 9th and 10th graders plays a team of mostly 12th grades no one has a issue with it. But when we have teams with all 9th graders playing 8th graders we all go nutts. What about 7th graders playing 6th graders. Its all about each persons line and how big there kid is. And that is where it really all falls down to. If there kid is big for his age those parents are fine with it. But if you have a smaller/avg. size kid you want the 12 month window.

No one would care if everybody had to go by same rules. Fine make it two year and everyone gets a shot at being the young one and older one. The problem with Crabs and all the rest of the holdback clubs is that only a select group of players get an advantage. Hold your kid back ..you get that older player advantage the entire time you are playing. Totally wrong at youth level. HS is totally different.
Letting a select group play down at youth level is just plain wrong and the Crabs have been one of the biggest proponents of it.

So, my son is on Crabs and is not a hold back. He has friends and classmates that are hold backs that are on FCA, Breakers and Greene Turtle. Not sure why crabs gets singled out with this. I believe there are 6 kids on his team that went to pre first but the rest are of age for their grade. The oldest of the kids is 8 months older than my son. Not really sure what all the fuss is. I get the problem with Edge. They are intentionally putting kids in an age group a year below the actual grade they are in. Not sure why tournament directors allow this and don't force them to play in the grade they are in as opposed as their post grad year

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Make it real easy and follow USA Hockey and just play year of birth.If you hold back you still have to play your birth year

Right. How dare these bratty kids want to play lacrosse with the kids that are in their grade and that they are friends with. Don't they know sports aren't supposed to be fun and are only for parents to have something to [lacrosse] about?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think it comes down to what you feel is fair. If you think a 24 months gap is fair for a divsion of play or do you think it should be 12 month of a gap in age is a fair divsion? I know it ok when a team of mostly 9th and 10th graders plays a team of mostly 12th grades no one has a issue with it. But when we have teams with all 9th graders playing 8th graders we all go nutts. What about 7th graders playing 6th graders. Its all about each persons line and how big there kid is. And that is where it really all falls down to. If there kid is big for his age those parents are fine with it. But if you have a smaller/avg. size kid you want the 12 month window.

No one would care if everybody had to go by same rules. Fine make it two year and everyone gets a shot at being the young one and older one. The problem with Crabs and all the rest of the holdback clubs is that only a select group of players get an advantage. Hold your kid back ..you get that older player advantage the entire time you are playing. Totally wrong at youth level. HS is totally different.
Letting a select group play down at youth level is just plain wrong and the Crabs have been one of the biggest proponents of it.

So, my son is on Crabs and is not a hold back. He has friends and classmates that are hold backs that are on FCA, Breakers and Greene Turtle. Not sure why crabs gets singled out with this. I believe there are 6 kids on his team that went to pre first but the rest are of age for their grade. The oldest of the kids is 8 months older than my son. Not really sure what all the fuss is. I get the problem with Edge. They are intentionally putting kids in an age group a year below the actual grade they are in. Not sure why tournament directors allow this and don't force them to play in the grade they are in as opposed as their post grad year

Which Breakers, Greene Turtle or FCA team has more holdbacks than the corresponding Crabs team? A better question is which Breakers, Greene Turtle or FCA team has more players on their roster born before 9/1 of the appropriate birth year for that team than the corresponding Crabs team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please move the whining about ages to a different forum.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Says the mom with the holdback son.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Which Breakers, Greene Turtle or FCA team has more holdbacks than the corresponding Crabs team? A better question is which Breakers, Greene Turtle or FCA team has more players on their roster born before 9/1 of the appropriate birth year for that team than the corresponding Crabs team?

I never said that there was more. My point was that all the top teams in the area have some hold back kids, not just Crabs. Yet the finger is always pointed at Crabs as being the "biggest abuser" of the system. You really think that FCA, Breakers, etc would turn the kids away if they chose to play for them? Of course not. It's just that most of the kids want to play for Crabs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I completely agree and all three of my kids are correct age for grade. This whining about age is ridiculous. Some kids will be a little older, some will be a little younger. It's always been this way.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I watched an intra-school MIAA game today where 7th grade played the 8th grade. My 7th grade son was excited to play the 8th grade and thought they would give the 8th graders a good game and possibly win. Both grades have boys that play for Crabs, FCA, Greene Turtle, Looneys, Breakers, MLC... and I think all of the kids are on age (none of the 8th graders that play for Crabs and are repeating 8th grade go to this school). All of these kids are very, very good lacrosse players for their age. Final score, 8th grade 14, 7th grade 2. Granted, this was only one game but it underscores the advantage that one year gives a boy at this age.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where was this magical MIAA game between all 7th graders and all 8th graders? The schools either have an A, B and C team or a 8th, 7th and 6th grade team. 8th graders either play A teams or other 8th grade teams. 7th graders either play B teams or other 7th grade teams and so on. I have had kids in MIAA schools for the last 8 years and have never seen a game between all 8th graders and all 7th graders

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My mistake. I see it was an intra-school game. Apologies.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Right. How dare these bratty kids want to play lacrosse with the kids that are in their grade and that they are friends with. Don't they know sports aren't supposed to be fun and are only for parents to have something to [lacrosse] about?

Cute ...Lets change it a little.
How dare these bratty kids want to play lacrosse with kids their own age! Dont they know sports isnt supposed to be fun and fair and only for parents who want an advantage for their son....... School teams they play grade with friends.. Most Club teams have a mixture of kids from different areas. hardly all their friends. Nice try hold back parent.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I watched an intra-school MIAA game today where 7th grade played the 8th grade. My 7th grade son was excited to play the 8th grade and thought they would give the 8th graders a good game and possibly win. Both grades have boys that play for Crabs, FCA, Greene Turtle, Looneys, Breakers, MLC... and I think all of the kids are on age (none of the 8th graders that play for Crabs and are repeating 8th grade go to this school). All of these kids are very, very good lacrosse players for their age. Final score, 8th grade 14, 7th grade 2. Granted, this was only one game but it underscores the advantage that one year gives a boy at this age.

Everyone knows that there is an advantage for these select kids that are held back and a disadvantage to the younger kids. Of course it varies somewhat due to each child's development, but overall it is a plus to have an older player. How you can think otherwise is disingenuous, and for most wrong at the youth level.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I completely agree and all three of my kids are correct age for grade. This whining about age is ridiculous. Some kids will be a little older, some will be a little younger. It's always been this way.

There is a forum for complaint about age requirements and this is not it. Please move on.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There is a forum for complaint about age requirements and this is not it. Please move on.

It is an interesting coincidence that people come here to discuss the holdback/reclass issue.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It is an interesting coincidence that people come here to discuss the holdback/reclass issue.

Can anyone name a top team at the 2019-2022 level that doesn't have a kid that either went to prefirst or is a holdback at another grade? What's interesting is that Crabs gets singled out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lets all just be happy the real games start this weekend in the NPYLL and we have something else to argue about.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sons

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sons

In MD

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No people wont just move on. Crabs were one of the driving forces at youth level to go grade base teams. They can expect to hear about it on a constant basis. Their teams will have the most holdbacks bar none. Their director encourages it. It is nice to skew the system then say..well its done now lets move on..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I never said that there was more. My point was that all the top teams in the area have some hold back kids, not just Crabs. Yet the finger is always pointed at Crabs as being the "biggest abuser" of the system. You really think that FCA, Breakers, etc would turn the kids away if they chose to play for them? Of course not. It's just that most of the kids want to play for Crabs.

You just answered your question. Most MIAA holdback kids and others do want to play for Crabs. Crabs know the majority of holdbacks are coming their way. Easy for them to want youth teams to be grade base instead of age. Not that hard to follow.
Maryland soon to be known as the land of players playing down..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking for info:

Did anyone apply to the Nationals Team which as sponsored be Marverik/Lax Unlimited?

A mass email went out back in December looking to field teams 2019-2016 for MD, VA and Nationals. Tryout dates were TBD.

If you did fill out the application (as I did for my son) did anyone get a response after submitting an application???

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Looking for info:

Did anyone apply to the Nationals Team which as sponsored be Marverik/Lax Unlimited?

A mass email went out back in December looking to field teams 2019-2016 for MD, VA and Nationals. Tryout dates were TBD.

If you did fill out the application (as I did for my son) did anyone get a response after submitting an application???

Unlikely this is a reputable "National Team". Unless the best players are all involved, which they aren't, save your money. Scam and not what they want you to think it is....nothing National about Maverick/lax Unlimited. a good way to get you in there marketing data base though.....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I posted this on another forum and no one had any info. Now turning to MD parents:

A mass email went out back in December looking to field teams from 2016-2019 for VA, MD and Nationals. Tryout dates were TBD.

The PO BOX mailing address was the same as the Maryland Lacrosse Club.

After sending an email directly to the email address which the original mail came from, I never got a response.

Did this venture ever take off?????

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I posted this on another forum and no one had any info. Now turning to MD parents:

A mass email went out back in December looking to field teams from 2016-2019 for VA, MD and Nationals. Tryout dates were TBD.

The PO BOX mailing address was the same as the Maryland Lacrosse Club.

After sending an email directly to the email address which the original mail came from, I never got a response.

Did this venture ever take off?????

Maybe the fact that you never received a reply should clue you in to the fact that it is not reputable?

I've never heard of a "National Team" sending out phishing emails trying to get people to apply.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What was score of the Hawks/Crabs 2020 as have heard Crabs say they "crushed" them.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Crabs won 15-8

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Respectable spread but "crushed" may be a bit over the top. At least they were in the game with 8 goals. Sounds like Crabs has strengthened their 2020 and are on the road to great things with the team. Just try not to be so "Crab like" and superior and use words like crushed, smoked etc. Makes other teams lose respect for you when you have a good team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Respectable spread but "crushed" may be a bit over the top. At least they were in the game with 8 goals. Sounds like Crabs has strengthened their 2020 and are on the road to great things with the team. Just try not to be so "Crab like" and superior and use words like crushed, smoked etc. Makes other teams lose respect for you when you have a good team.

OK thanks for the tip "conscience" of the forum. we are so lucky to have your guidance.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BLC 2020 7
Next Level 3

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BLC over CRABS

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Respectable spread but "crushed" may be a bit over the top. At least they were in the game with 8 goals. Sounds like Crabs has strengthened their 2020 and are on the road to great things with the team. Just try not to be so "Crab like" and superior and use words like crushed, smoked etc. Makes other teams lose respect for you when you have a good team.

OK thanks for the tip "conscience" of the forum. we are so lucky to have your guidance.

Typical Crabs response ....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Brewin412
Crabs won 15-8

Wonder how maany holdbacks the Crabs 2020 has. I bet a bunch. Do teams with less holdbacks get any extra goals when they play Crabs

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looneys, breakers, fca all have hold backs. They are all about even.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Curious why you would say that? Hardly even close..Crabs have the most by far.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

doubtful that it is by far, I would imagine the number on each team would be pretty close.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

doubtful that it is by far, I would imagine the number on each team would be pretty close.

Keep telling yourself that while you click your heels twice. See if it comes true. Crabs have the most not even close

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Keep telling yourself that while you click your heels twice. See if it comes true. Crabs have the most not even close

This is ridiculous. Almost all kids that go to MIAA schools starting in kindergarten are put in pre-first. By your logic, almost all of these kids play for crabs which is just simply untrue. Unless you have some proof that all the private school kids that play for FCA, Breakers, Looneys, etc did not go to prefirst you should really not speak. I know for a fact that the Looneys 2019 green team has several kids that went to prefirst at Gilman and a couple other schools. This is NOT just a Crabs issue. None of the other Maryland clubs have the right to complain because they have access to the same kids as Crabs does. I can understand the LI teams being upset about it and I can understand parents of kids that are at normal age for their grade being upset as well. I fall into the latter and my son lost his spot a couple years ago on a team(not Crabs by the way) due to there being three kids repeating 8th grade. But guess what? He found a new team and has no issues. We baby our kids enough these days. Having to play lacrosse against a kid a year older than them is not going to hurt them in any way.

Like Reply Quote
Page 29 of 128 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 127 128
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard