BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,621
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 31 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 30 31
Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are potential pitfalls with any booster situation, but the optics are especially terrible when you go to parents to solicit money immediately before tryouts. It would be better if done after the team is selected.....but then of course you raise less money because the parents of the kids who didn't make the team are no longer going to contribute.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
true. I think that the fundraisers are populated mostly by parents who want "face time" with coach.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
true. I think that the fundraisers are populated mostly by parents who want "face time" with coach.

In my town I am personal a friend of the head coach and I am at all of the fundraisers to run interference and box out the parents that get drunk and want to tell the coach how great their kid is.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Our booster club had its first meeting to order logo merchandise! We don't even know who is on the team yet but the booster parents need to stay in front of the coach.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'LL BET YOU HAD TOM ACTUALLY PUT IN ORDERS ALREADY, RIGHT? ITS SUCH A SHAME . ITS ACTUALLY FUNNY WATCHING THE "TEAM MOMS" CLIMB OVER EACH OTHER TO ORGANIZE...OF COURSE KEEPING COACH IN THE LOOP WITH THEIR HEROIC EFFORTS...MAYBE JOHNNY OR JANEY WILL BE FAVORED. shocked

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'LL BET YOU HAD TOM ACTUALLY PUT IN ORDERS ALREADY, RIGHT? ITS SUCH A SHAME . ITS ACTUALLY FUNNY WATCHING THE "TEAM MOMS" CLIMB OVER EACH OTHER TO ORGANIZE...OF COURSE KEEPING COACH IN THE LOOP WITH THEIR HEROIC EFFORTS...MAYBE JOHNNY OR JANEY WILL BE FAVORED. shocked

Sounds like Connetquot....what a joke !!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are coaches that don't account for the money they collect. Fact

You should call your HS AD and discuss it .

Most of the AD's have no clue what is going on. They don't realize that the coaches are strong arming the players into paying them hundreds of dollars to be on there summer teams or paying hundreds of dollars for off season illegal team practices.

Let us know how you make out with the AD or how the BOE meeting goes when you blow the whistle on them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are coaches that don't account for the money they collect. Fact

You should call your HS AD and discuss it .

Most of the AD's have no clue what is going on. They don't realize that the coaches are strong arming the players into paying them hundreds of dollars to be on there summer teams or paying hundreds of dollars for off season illegal team practices.

Let us know how you make out with the AD or how the BOE meeting goes when you blow the whistle on them.

Is this what happened at Smithtown? bold

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Our school just started a booster club. I am at a loss for what the funds go for? Seems like we did fine always winning without a club for many years. Is this a way for parents to influence the coach?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Our school just started a booster club. I am at a loss for what the funds go for? Seems like we did fine always winning without a club for many years. Is this a way for parents to influence the coach?

Same here. It's a joke. On top of that the program is horrible. Spending lots of money for nothing, yet parents go along with it because they are fearful that the Booster Club will influence the Coach to cut the kids from the HS Team that do not participate.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The booster club does important things for your program. It pays for senior day which includes dinner for all. It pays for the end of the year awards dinner. It will pay for a hired person to do the book for stats . It will pay for scouting tapes of opponents. It will also distribute the remaining balance at the end of the year back to the seniors as scholarships. If you make it to counties of states the booster club will pay for the tailgate party and any of the extra expenses that come up. All of this adds up to thousands of dollars. If your town is starting a booster club get involved and volunteer I am sure they would be happy to have your help. Ask questions. At our booster meetings there is a bank statement on the table for all to see and a annual spread sheet itemizing all expenses telling everyone where every dime went. If the booster club is not providing you with access to all of that then they are up to something.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The booster club does important things for your program. It pays for senior day which includes dinner for all. It pays for the end of the year awards dinner. It will pay for a hired person to do the book for stats . It will pay for scouting tapes of opponents. It will also distribute the remaining balance at the end of the year back to the seniors as scholarships. If you make it to counties of states the booster club will pay for the tailgate party and any of the extra expenses that come up. All of this adds up to thousands of dollars. If your town is starting a booster club get involved and volunteer I am sure they would be happy to have your help. Ask questions. At our booster meetings there is a bank statement on the table for all to see and a annual spread sheet itemizing all expenses telling everyone where every dime went. If the booster club is not providing you with access to all of that then they are up to something.

The booster club will also make sure that when outside contracts need to be handled they will be with booster club officials - wink, wink - so the officials can make money off of their neighbors.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What kind of contracts are you talking about?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Facility improvements.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Facility improvements.

at the very least they would/could know the most reasonable/lowest bid and have an upper hand on the process.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Almost everything you mentioned the parents in my town pay for out of there pockets. There is no statement of where the fund raising money goes and not a penny has every been given to a senior for scholarship. My gut tells me way more of the towns operate closer to mine than to the above posters fantasy scenario.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not a fantasy senerio I am the booster club president and I am the above poster. If there is no transparency in your BC then something is going on.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
pretty sure my school doesn't give out any scholarship either....no way..
the so called Booster club (fund collected from each member of team) does however buy wonderful gifts for Head Coach and several assistants. these are paid school district employees, parents should not feel compelled to pay for a end of season bonus. http://www.backofthecage.com/images/icons/default_dark/cool.gif

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"on behalf of my son and the rest of the team, please accept this cash gift"

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Well, it's not like that at my school, gifts for coaches and so forth. Our booster club bought commerorative rings for any athlete who made it upstate for States, all sports. We bought a scoring table for soccer, field hockey and lacrosse to share. We but those items the athletic budget won't accommodate but that would improve the team's experience.

The booster club also has funded a sport-specific camp for a kid who was practically homeless, and I'm proud to say he did the school justice and it made a big difference in that kid's life. Money well spent.

Like Reply Quote
User
User
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
Well, it's not like that at my school, gifts for coaches and so forth. Our booster club bought commerorative rings for any athlete who made it upstate for States, all sports. We bought a scoring table for soccer, field hockey and lacrosse to share. We but those items the athletic budget won't accommodate but that would improve the team's experience.

The booster club also has funded a sport-specific camp for a kid who was practically homeless, and I'm proud to say he did the school justice and it made a big difference in that kid's life. Money well spent.

Sounds like a great Booster Club!!

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
booster club pays for volunteer coaches who just happens to work for the HC with summer teams

Like Reply Quote
User
User
There are rules for booster clubs and how they distribute and account for their funds. 501(c)(3) booster clubs report at public meetings required to be held throughout the year. Those meetings are the time to ask your specified board or President questions.

Most booster clubs work hard and help their schools student athletes. You should reach out to the Massapequa booster club to inform them of your concerns. If of course that's where your from...just a guess.

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by The Hop
There are rules for booster clubs and how they distribute and account for their funds. 501(c)(3) booster clubs report at public meetings required to be held throughout the year. Those meetings are the time to ask your specified board or President questions.

Most booster clubs work hard and help their schools student athletes. You should reach out to the Massapequa booster club to inform them of your concerns. If of course that's where your from...just a guess.
Is it me or is the Hop the worst moderator. If the poster wanted to let people know what town they were from he/she would have stated it . For the Hop to state what town the poster was from is at least negligible. We all know he will try to white wash it by saying he just guessed where the poster was from, but through his own bragging about having the power to know where every post comes from, we can assume this to not be true. He also "stirred the pot" on a different thread about a story that had either run it''s course, or was resolved, Why? not enough drama on this site? The story started and ended before he was named moderator, why stir this up again?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is it me or is the Hop the worst moderator. If the poster wanted to let people know what town they were from he/she would have stated it . For the Hop to state what town the poster was from is at least negligible. We all know he will try to white wash it by saying he just guessed where the poster was from, but through his own bragging about having the power to know where every post comes from, we can assume this to not be true. He also "stirred the pot" on a different thread about a story that had either run it''s course, or was resolved, Why? not enough drama on this site? The story started and ended before he was named moderator, why stir this up again?

I'm glad he's paying attention. It stops you from trying to argue with yourselves and trying to start trouble by responding to your own posts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh I see. Your the only one with an opinion here? I applaud Hop for moderating and keeping things straight. Btw how do you know Hop is a HE? You presume to know so many things and post them as FACT. That's why the moderator calls people like you out. And so what if a topic was brought up! That's what this site is for...discussion. You should try it some day!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anybody hear about Curt Shilling and the net with his family

Like Reply Quote
User
User

This poster is still pissed at my comment that the Hofstra Womens team had a good showing against #1 Maryland. Not sure why but oh well.
Also, apparently this poster doesn't want a discussion to continue about Maryland based Madlax boys lax club in the Cabell Maddux thread. Just an opinionated person who has to try and create controversy with confrontation. That's ok. There are a lot of opinions on BOTC. Some fact based, some emotional and some completely fictional. We welcome them all and our team of moderators will call out the posters that deserve it.
Remember to register. It's free and opens some cool options to you. You will remain as anonymous as you choose. Same as you are now!

Last edited by The Hop; .

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"For the Hop to state what town the poster was from is at least negligible." What does that even mean?? I think the word you're searching for is negligent. Look it up.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
booster club pays for volunteer coaches who just happens to work for the HC with summer teams

I have heard it is not unheard of for volunteer assistants to be paid by the booster club. Who cares as long as the kids benefit from it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wake up. It is a major conflict of interest.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This conflict playing out as advertised. You need to pay the coach to play for the coach.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
$950 SACHEM NORTH THIEVES!!!! That's $950 a player. and there's SSC underling coaches at the varsity coaches knees like minions making sure goes well. highway robbery. for a handful of tournaments definitely a conflict of interest. 950 kid times probably 17-20 kids. Lmfao. and people are dumb enough to pay that. those coaches will be high giving at the high stakes table in Atlantic city with your money or buying themselves a new car

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You should see the $ paid for the Commack HS coaches travel team. It's more than ssc, and you get nothing for it.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
$950 SACHEM NORTH THIEVES!!!! That's $950 a player. and there's SSC underling coaches at the varsity coaches knees like minions making sure goes well. highway robbery. for a handful of tournaments definitely a conflict of interest. 950 kid times probably 17-20 kids. Lmfao. and people are dumb enough to pay that. those coaches will be high giving at the high stakes table in Atlantic city with your money or buying themselves a new car

You have no idea what you are talking about.
Do you even know how much it costs per team to enter a tournament?
How much does insurance cost?
Uniforms?
Travel expenses for coaches to go to away tournaments?
If you think anyone is getting rich off of $ 950 a kid for 5 tournaments you dont have a clue.
If you think they are ripping you off go join the Express or 91 and pay $2500 plus.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wish my town only charge $950...our school coaches charge another $600 with 3 goalies on one team and 4 on another...oh yeah they also have a tourn. Scheduled at our school this year...they have created some business for themselves

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Do they get more playing time on varsity?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Sachem North LAX

Uniforms?
If you think anyone is getting rich off of $ 950 a kid for 5 tournaments you dont have a clue.
If you think they are ripping you off go join the Express or 91 and pay $2500 plus.
tournament: max 1500x5= 7500 (and that's stretching it... ALOT! Insurance: $25.00/player = $250.00 uniforms: fully sublimated: $100.00/uniform: $2000.00. Travel expenses for coaches????? I guess around 10 grand. But again $1500/tourney is estimating high.... Please if I'm wrong let me know!!!! And if you paid higher for anything you got ripped off

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Sachem North LAX

Uniforms?
tournament: max 1500x5= 7500 (and that's stretching it... ALOT! Insurance: $25.00/player = $250.00 uniforms: fully sublimated: $100.00/uniform: $2000.00. Travel expenses for coaches????? I guess around 10 grand. But again $1500/tourney is estimating high.... Please if I'm wrong let me know!!!! And if you paid higher for anything you got ripped off

Cost is not the issue. It is a clear conflict of interest.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
nah I'll just wait till my kid tries out for sachem's school team. do that math

Like Reply Quote
Page 20 of 31 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 30 31
Quick Reply