BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 36 of 45 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 44 45
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Haha. I guess you're getting tired of little Johnnie getting run over on the field and have to come on this board to vent your embarrassment. Hard to teach a kid to be a man when the dad is a whining excuse maker.

Tired of watching 16 year olds running over 14 year olds in club lacrosse? Yes, I think a lot of us are sick of that and would like to see it changed. And when were the parents of the 14 year olds making excuses? Showing up to play and doing the best they can. There isn't a rule against repeating grades, but I don't think club play is where repeat kids should run to hide. My son is a young man who played every minute of 20+ varisty games against poles 5+ years older than he was, and he didn't tap out. Yes, I do lament the welts and the other brutal tear he took last spring as part of the problem. The reclassified tough guy dads always have something to say to excuse it in some way or deflect the point. If you need the crutches of being a 15 year old 8th grader or a 16 year old 9th grader, you're wired weak. It catches up to you in sports and in life. I hope you run your own business, because at this rate of emotional safe harbours you son will be too scared to interview in the real world from a flat start.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the gentleman who "knows" the Stanwicks well...Wells will be 24 at graduation, Steele was 23...most students graduate at 21 or 22
Age, it's just a number.

That is funny. Is Shack also old for his class? That whole Boys Latin stuff with the jokes about a student parking lot on the middle school side of the street are pretty funny too. It is amazing to me how much being a sissy is celebrated in Baltimore. Crabs and holdbacks, that is what they do best.

The biggest sissies are on this site. Dad's whining and complaining that little junior might play against kids a few months older than there little boy. Get out of your kids way and let him grow up.

I will take the bait. I watched on the sidelines a weekend ago as my son who is in the sixth grade and plays up on a 6th / 7th grade team (and no, it is not a Baltimore team) was mauled by a team of 8th graders playing down. It was great sport (for the older boys who were 4 to 6 inches taller and 30 to 40 pounds heavier). My mistake was allowing my son to play up when I thought it was only kids a year older that he would be playing against rather that boys two and three years older. The issue is not boys "a few months older", but boys a few years older. If this makes me a "sissy" and a "whiner" and being concerned about "little junior" then that's fine, that's my role. By the way, I think I am doing just fine trying to help my son "grow up". It would be nice, however, if he was allowed to do so without parents and club owners insisting on playing kids down to get size and age advantage.

No disputing the honesty in your post. It is our job to do what we can to keep our kids safe first. That is getting close to impossible in the middle school grades now. The most toxic combo is the 6th & 7th grade blended teams or the 7th and 8th grade blended teams. One of my sons was on a team like that because the club didn't want to cut kids who didn't make the 7th or 8th grade "A" team. It was well meaning, but the club wound up apologizing for how gross it was in some tournaments seeing repeat 8th graders against the smallest 7th graders on my son's team trying to hold on. At bottom it was sad to witness and we even had one tournament where the referee said he felt dirty having to ref a game like that.

This is all real funny anonymous tough guy daddy talk from the defenders of holding back now on a chat board, but it won't be funny at all when there is a crumpled 12 year old 7th grader on the field after getting plowed by a 15 year old 8th grader. Anyone who thinks this validates their overaged kids or defends it is just plainly wrong.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the gentleman who "knows" the Stanwicks well...Wells will be 24 at graduation, Steele was 23...most students graduate at 21 or 22
Age, it's just a number.

That is funny. Is Shack also old for his class? That whole Boys Latin stuff with the jokes about a student parking lot on the middle school side of the street are pretty funny too. It is amazing to me how much being a sissy is celebrated in Baltimore. Crabs and holdbacks, that is what they do best.

The biggest sissies are on this site. Dad's whining and complaining that little junior might play against kids a few months older than there little boy. Get out of your kids way and let him grow up.

The dad sisssy's are the one's reclassing their kids...your are the sissy!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Reclassification - was designed for the underdeveloped child that barely missed the cut off date - so her or she does NOT have sit out for safety concerns...

Simple- that's it!!

Reclassification was NEVER intended to provide a venue for a midyear birthday player to leverage an extra year of maturity to dominate younger, smaller boys kids in competitive events for D1 aspirations.

From a Coach's prospective - I will discount a Reclassified player's performance when evaluating and projecting talent levels...
Does that make sense??

Great post! This is exactly where my son falls. He is a 2017 and he is still 14 years old until the end of this month. All of you folks can bury your head in the sand all you want but there are 17 year old 2017's running around out there right now. My son was recruited by a highly regarded prep school this past summer. It wasnt even a question whether or not he was going to repeat the grade, it was understood. His club coach (who was a D1 college coach) recommended it and in no uncertain terms told me that D1 coaches "love" reclassified kids and encourage reclassifying whenever possible. So my son will be attending this prep school next fall and repeating the grade and becoming a 2018. I dont consider this cheating in any shape or form. IMO I am just correcting a mistake I made by sending him to kindergarten instead of holding him back like most parents do. My son is a very good 2017, but because of his size and physical maturity, he is definitely behind the 8 ball when it comes to recruiting. He is playing with a 2018 club team and he is still one of the younger kids on the team, most of them are already 15. So to all of you throwing the "cheating" word around, every case is different. More importantly, do a little research and look at D1 rosters and look at the birthdays and look at the schools they come from. An extremely large majority of D1 kids are reclassified and come from Prep schools. Its just reality and its here to stay. In my sons case I believe its going to help him get into a much better college than he would have been able to get into and thats the goal here isnt it?

Reality vs perception.

Tough call. Reality it is cheating. Perception you're ok with it.

Reality you are holding him back a grade to gain an advantage on the sports fields to gain an otherwise advantage getting into a better school. We understand just admit you are cheating. Look at the definition of cheating.

Now you can sometimes get away with cheating. And in life unless you are called out for your miscues you are barely remorseful. Some of us may have cheated on a test or two and in the end it helped us.

It is the ole the ends justifies the means. You don't need to justify it to anyone, you've decided to do it.

Understood, however I disagree. Again, I would say I am correcting my original mistake of not keeping him back when he was younger. Additionally, he is not gaining any advantage, we are simply leveling the odds for him, because as I stated in my earlier post, he will still be young for a 2018. He is not the kind of kid that will dominate at any level, he is a smart, tough, hardworking lacrosse player. Academically, he is a good student, maintaining a 3.5 in all honors courses. Going to a prep school is going to benefit him the most academically, which again is the point of all this. Im not justifying, rather explaining and sharing my particular case with everyone.

Thanks for sharing, but your case is really the exception in the controversy of reclassification and doesn't fit the profile of what angers opponents of the method.

Rumor has it there is a strong movement out there to bring all tournaments into an age based grid. Including HS and recruiting tourns. It will be much like soccer and hockey, birth certificate need to get card. No card, no play. The reclass thing is about to come to screeching halt. Feel for all those that tried to game the system. Time to pay up folks... I hear the college coaches are tired of watching older kids play against younger competition, they feel like they're getting duped. Many of these holdbacks and reclass kids can't compete when they set foot on campus.

Laughable. The college coaches love to sink their hooks into reclassified players. Nice try. The momentum of this trend will only be getting stronger. The only ones that lose out are the families that can't afford to park their kid at a private school. So, this trend is perpetuating the stigma that it's a rich kid's game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Elephant in the room time. The one fraternity at UVa most joined by UVa lacrosse players? Phi Psi. Been that way for decades. Even now it is a place players take recruits to party. Sh7t show if a lacrosse player is involved in any way in this frat scandal.

If there are lax players involved, Starsia is toast.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We've been down this road so many times...

Yes it is deplorable that reclassed kids must use a younger venue to be able to become visible for recruiting purposes.

It's not going away anytime soon.

The only immediate solution is for dads of younger than 2017/2018 to get as much additional training as possible. Showing up for practice is not going to be enough.

Do what we did: invest in the best private coaching you can for your sons position.
Invest in an early age appropriate private conditioning program with a personal trainer.

Get him on the best team he can qualify for where he has a realistic chance of starting or at least get even playing time (those clubs are out there)

Maintain strict academic standards. No high grades = no lax or other sports. It's a priveledge, not a right to play.

Look for any signs of stress. It's supposed to be fun. If it's not; find out why and try to work towards a solution.

Let him find his way; don't push.

Be 100% supportive; win or lose.

If he's good; he will kick the butts on the older kids who have to play down. Typically, their skill sets don't match their physical maturity advantage (why would they be playing down instead of with their peers?) and are easy prey for good players.

Be positive.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well maybe academically they are not up to standard admission criteria, I know one West Point lacrosse kid did not have the SAT scores nor grades, did the one year post grad due to the grades/scores.

NCAA qualifying grade/SAT are pretty pathetic, but if the kid does not have the qualifying grades/SAT scores it maybe suggested to do PG year to keep the commit.

Yeah but Navy's requirements are high, the curriculum is rigorous when you gain entry and prep is free, as well as free 4 years of education and one of the best schools in the nation, no reason NOT to go for it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are 100% right, did almost the same with my son and it has worked, skill and lacrosse IQ trump age every time

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It would be the decent thing for the lacrosse media (Ty Xanders this means you) to at least note this development in the Rambo case.

http://laxmagazine.com/college_men/...r_wont_face_first_degree_assault_charges

The state voluntarily dropped the felony charges against Rambo and Cooper because they cannot prosecute those charges with the evidence they have. Yes, Rambo and Cooper still face a misdemeanor charge but driving 76 mph in a 55 in Maryland can be reckless driving misdemeanor.

Hey Ty, is the notoriety not so good to note the good news for Rambo and UMD? You waited about ten seconds to pimp the bad out when you had that chance.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your right my son is a 4ft 7inch long pole defenseman, and his trainer MC from Expess tells me with about 50 more training sessions my kid should be ready for DI, with that news we are very positive, Happy Thanks Giving to every one.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It would be the decent thing for the lacrosse media (Ty Xanders this means you) to at least note this development in the Rambo case.

http://laxmagazine.com/college_men/...r_wont_face_first_degree_assault_charges

The state voluntarily dropped the felony charges against Rambo and Cooper because they cannot prosecute those charges with the evidence they have. Yes, Rambo and Cooper still face a misdemeanor charge but driving 76 mph in a 55 in Maryland can be reckless driving misdemeanor.

Hey Ty, is the notoriety not so good to note the good news for Rambo and UMD? You waited about ten seconds to pimp the bad out when you had that chance.

good news?? what are you going on about? there are still second degree assault charges and destruction of property issues and the asst has been dismissed.

reduction in charges does not obviate the overall degree of criminality.

I guess that counts for good new at UMD as long as the star doesn't get to do some time for felonious assault. He is still a thug in any case.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not saying Ty was right in reporting initial Rambo news but his job is not to report on all things related to lacrosse. His primary job is to report on the recruiting scene. Anything outside of that is optional and not "his job". Leave that to the other major lacrosse media outlets.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anybody know where the Boys 2017 Fall 2014/Summer 2015 forum went.
I somehow ended up on the Matt Rambo incident!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Change of topic with a question:
My son is scheduled to attend a showcase mid January. He suffered a non lacrosse related concussion and is on restricted activity for, likely, the most of the next month.

We figure that he will have 1-2 weeks at most to get back into some playing shape, assuming he gets cleared.

Would you pull him out of the showcase now before the refund deadline or chance it and see how he feels at the time?

The showcase is being staffed and run by coaches of D1 and D3 programs that he would like to attend.

Appreciate your thoughts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Novice question..Hab played in tourney recently and was happy to receive an email 'invite' to suny albany winter "Dane for a day". Is it sent to everyone?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seriously.
Who cares about lacrosse, that's your kids brain.
Have him contact the coaches of the teams he is interested in and ask them what there schedule is for future showcases.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is scheduled to attend a showcase mid January. He suffered a non lacrosse related concussion and is on restricted activity for, likely, the most of the next month.

We figure that he will have 1-2 weeks at most to get back into some playing shape, assuming he gets cleared.

Would you pull him out of the showcase now before the refund deadline or chance it and see how he feels at the time?

The showcase is being staffed and run by coaches of D1 and D3 programs that he would like to attend.

There will be plenty of other opps for them to see your son at 100% health. Don't chance it with something like this. If it's his first be thankful. If he gets a 2nd concussion so soon after the 1st because you rushed him, then he will be very prone to future concussions and most likely end his lacrosse career early. Even if he doesn't have a recurrence, for sure he won't be 100% in game shape and probably won't show his best, which could get him crossed off many coach's lists. Worth the risk for one showcase? I think not on several fronts. Let him heal for the whole winter and be 100% for the Spring. Don't be "that guy". Get your refund.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There will be plenty of other opps for them to see your son at 100% health. Don't chance it with something like this. If it's his first be thankful. If he gets a 2nd concussion so soon after the 1st because you rushed him, then he will be very prone to future concussions and most likely end his lacrosse career early. Even if he doesn't have a recurrence, for sure he won't be 100% in game shape and probably won't show his best, which could get him crossed off many coach's lists. Worth the risk for one showcase? I think not on several fronts. Let him heal for the whole winter and be 100% for the Spring. Don't be "that guy". Get your refund.

Agree. Did you see a specialist and does he have baseline data? My son suffered a concussion and the dr was weary about starting him back before 1-3 months of fast paced play with physical play involved. Give him a month to heal and a month to rest. No lax games until Feb. Not worth the risk!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is he a reclass?
Will duke be at the showcase ?

You are seriously asking the idiots on here instead of a doctor or using Good judgement??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Concussions are too scary to mess with. Any concussion is bad, but the second concussion is what will alter your son's athletic life for the rest of his life. Once a kid has had 2 in prior 5 years, there is no medical doctor who will clear him to play a contact sport after a 3rd. So with that considered, kids who have had two are on notice they are one moment away from having contact sports taken away from them and that is a hard spot for the kid and the family to be in. Don't mess around with this! I also hope you appreciate this thought...I keep wondering what college coaches will do when they start seeing kids who grew or developed to pass by the early commit kids. If I saw a 2015 or 2016 pole this fall who blew me away but I missed on him because he spent a season or two out injured or just physically bloomed late, as a coach I am going to make a spot for him.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rest and refund
Just don't ask for your money back with the concussion issue.
Last thing Ya need is coaches hearing/seeing that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rest and refund
Just don't ask for your money back with the concussion issue.
Last thing Ya need is coaches hearing/seeing that.

Agreed, your son's health is more important than a showcase. Rest and ask for a refund, but don't bring up the concussion, just say your son cannot attend. Hope he recovers well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
10000% - if he does not rush back from a concussion, the neurologist will tell you 100% is very likely... Conversely, the risk of a second impact to the head (during recovery), will far out weigh any potential gain from prospect day.

It is a good question because having my son been in that situation, acceptance is very difficult, but NOT an option

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Health and healing should ALWAYS come first. Skip the showcase, there will be many more.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a 2017 who also has received a concussion from football in October. He is on the radar from very big schools. Please pull him out of all sports including school gym. Lacrosse is not the end of the world. Let him heal and come back like a powerhouse. No. 1 in the healing process is NO video games and texting. Good luck!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a 2017 who also has received a concussion from football in October. He is on the radar from very big schools. Please pull him out of all sports including school gym. Lacrosse is not the end of the world. Let him heal and come back like a powerhouse. No. 1 in the healing process is NO video games and texting. Good luck!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Novice question..Hab played in tourney recently and was happy to receive an email 'invite' to suny albany winter "Dane for a day". Is it sent to everyone?
Usually those prospect days are sent to kids that have shown an interest in the program or UAlbany gets a list from the club teams of player emails. Believe me if they are interested in your son, you will know it, they will usually contact his high school or club coach expressing interest.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
great advice!
our neurologist urged NO physical activity (even stationary bike) until he goes a FULL 7 days straight without ANY symptoms (even the dullest headaches)...
if a concussion symptom occurs - the 7 day count must start all over.

had someone passed that on to us before, my son's premature return to sports costed him an additional, and much worst 7 weeks recovery

hope your son has a speedy recovery!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Have adrenaline black card invites gone out?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Also, no watching tv, reading, etc. As limited amount of brain activity as possible will help him to heal faster. It sucks, but it's necessary. Good luck, hope he feels better soon!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My 2017 has suffered two concussions, about 2 years apart. When he suffered his first, he presented mild symptoms (slight headache). We took him to a specialist, went through a week of PT, a month or two of no activity, etc. He was cleared and had no issues.

His second was a less severe hit, however we took him to be checked out just to be sure. The specialist cleared him pending a successful PT evaluation just to be sure. Under the physical stress of the PT session he failed the the evaluation. He had to complete a full PT program as well as rest for two months.

Had we not taken him to be evaluated (because he really didn't show any symptoms) he could have suffered a much more serious injury under the stress of physical activity.

Please don't push the return.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there going to be a 3D lacrosse team in Long Island?

Chief Admin
OP Offline
Chief Admin
Is there going to be a 3D lacrosse team in Long Island?

No....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Then why is 3D listed on Long Island Clubs?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
3d has a Tri State team, or at least I have seen that. It is also possible that 3d National would be entered in tournaments and that could be confused with an LI team if it had LI kids. 3d isn't really a club program as much as it is an all-comers juggernaut. Our son did some tournaments with them last summer and I cannot believe how many emails I get asking if my son wants to play for some 3d midwest, south, Canadian...you name it team that needs a few guys to fill out their home roster.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
any 2017 lacrosse teams need an attackmen and middie. No combo 2016/2017 teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Call Channy, he only has 42,kids. He told me he wants a college roster so the kids get use to not playing. Has I was paying him, I told him you are a genius .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
3d has a Tri State team, or at least I have seen that. It is also possible that 3d National would be entered in tournaments and that could be confused with an LI team if it had LI kids. 3d isn't really a club program as much as it is an all-comers juggernaut. Our son did some tournaments with them last summer and I cannot believe how many emails I get asking if my son wants to play for some 3d midwest, south, Canadian...you name it team that needs a few guys to fill out their home roster.

How was your experience with them?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
3d is decent. I will state upfront I think their regional teams are very average compared with LI top clubs, but the instruction level is really good. My son is getting excellent position specific coaching, which is rare for most clubs at FOGO and goalie in particular. I was always amazed top clubs in Maryland would say go to a full in the blank positional clinic or camp and just roll a ball out for tournaments. There I think 3d does a better job.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My 2017 has suffered two concussions, about 2 years apart. When he suffered his first, he presented mild symptoms (slight headache). We took him to a specialist, went through a week of PT, a month or two of no activity, etc. He was cleared and had no issues.

His second was a less severe hit, however we took him to be checked out just to be sure. The specialist cleared him pending a successful PT evaluation just to be sure. Under the physical stress of the PT session he failed the the evaluation. He had to complete a full PT program as well as rest for two months.

Had we not taken him to be evaluated (because he really didn't show any symptoms) he could have suffered a much more serious injury under the stress of physical activity.

Please don't push the return.

Excellent advice....Dont't assume because the kid didn't have memory loss or didn't vomit after the hit that it wasn't injurious to his brain. My son had a concussion two years ago. He had headache but nothing more severe. The next day as a precaution I had him checked and his performance on the neuro exam was equivalent to someone driving under the influence. You could have knocked me over with a feather. He then went to a top national specialist who told me he could write a book about what is not understood about the long-term effects of concussion in youth athletes. So better safe than sorry was his advice. These kids are all so busy and over-stimulated with practices, games, cell phones, clinics, video games, texting, etc. that it is hard to "unplug" and rest after an injury. It really is important and try, try, try to remember there are more weighty things than lacrosse.

Page 36 of 45 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard