BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22
Re: Sayville thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
in January this was names High School Lax, then in Oct there came about some uneasiness at Sayville and the header Re: was changed to Sayville.

This thread should be used to bring up issues if they take a life of their own then they should branch out to a new thread.

The header was never changed until someone suggested it should (take a look) and you must be aware that acute issues will dominate this board when they flare up. Do you have an issue to vet or do you just want to take up space and whine?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
in January this was names High School Lax, then in Oct there came about some uneasiness at Sayville and the header Re: was changed to Sayville.

This thread should be used to bring up issues if they take a life of their own then they should branch out to a new thread.

The header was never changed until someone suggested it should (take a look) and you must be aware that acute issues will dominate this board when they flare up. Do you have an issue to vet or do you just want to take up space and whine?

That was simple

High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I guess whine. I needed a snickers! They asked to change the name. I did. proving it was a simple thing to do. But I also believe it should remain with the HS Lax header and the one offs should have their own thread if they take on a life of its own.

High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I guess whine. I needed a snickers! They asked to change the name. I did. proving it was a simple thing to do. But I also believe it should remain with the HS Lax header and the one offs should have their own thread if they take on a life of its own.

I think the acute issues that flare up should remain on the HS thread so anyone interested in HS programs can follow the issues and learn what's happening outside their district. I have learned a lot by reading about others issues.

The Sayville issue is one I want to follow. What if my towns very popular and successful coach was targeted by the Board or a Board member? What recourse do I have as a resident? We are a few towns over but we know [lacrosse] successful the Sayville program has been. If that coach can be removed because of a disgruntled board member and the parents are powerless to stop it. It can happen to us.

Re: High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just look at one angry resident turned board member did over in SWR to Coach Rotanz. Doesn't matter how good your coach is, if you get one angry parent who can get enough people behind them they can destroy anything.

I think the acute issues that flare up should remain on the HS thread so anyone interested in HS programs can follow the issues and learn what's happening outside their district. I have learned a lot by reading about others issues.

The Sayville issue is one I want to follow. What if my towns very popular and successful coach was targeted by the Board or a Board member? What recourse do I have as a resident? We are a few towns over but we know [lacrosse] successful the Sayville program has been. If that coach can be removed because of a disgruntled board member and the parents are powerless to stop it. It can happen to us.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just look at one angry resident turned board member did over in SWR to Coach Rotanz. Doesn't matter how good your coach is, if you get one angry parent who can get enough people behind them they can destroy anything.

We have the opposite in our community. Very few if any players or parents are happy with the coaches. People are afraid to voice their concerns because they believe doing so will negatively impact their child. Many in the community wish the BOE step in and make some changes.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Coach Rotanz at SWR is a perfect example. Why are board members permitted to destroy programs for personal reasons without recourse? We as residents should be able to call for a resident vote when such issues are so obviously personal and contentious. Maybe an attorney can weigh in here?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Coach Rotanz at SWR is a perfect example. Why are board members permitted to destroy programs for personal reasons without recourse? We as residents should be able to call for a resident vote when such issues are so obviously personal and contentious. Maybe an attorney can weigh in here?

You do have a resident vote. You voted during school elections to give the board power to make decisions. You get the government you vote for and you have to live with it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Smithtown with its supposedly top notch program, no longer has a JV team!! What is that about? Can somebody please give insight? No notice was given so we could at least look for an outside team. It's so sad all these kids want to do is play. Now they are just brushed under the rug like they don't matter. Where are their HS memories?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't believe it is "supposedly top notch" when you look at the results and current players playing at the next level. Smithtown is a top notch program

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Smithtown with its supposedly top notch program, no longer has a JV team!! What is that about? Can somebody please give insight? No notice was given so we could at least look for an outside team. It's so sad all these kids want to do is play. Now they are just brushed under the rug like they don't matter. Where are their HS memories?

Your talking about Team Smithtown not associated with the school.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Your talking about Team Smithtown.. Most of the kids already play on travel teams, so most kids didn't want to play on both. They also still have the school team and are doing tournaments with that.

High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What's the difference between a fully funded school and one that is not fully funded and how does it affect schorships? Thank you

Fully funded means the school "fully funds" the 12.5 full scholarships for the team. Assuming the school costs $50,000 per year. 12.5 x $50,000 = $625,000 in athletic money for 45 plus players per year. Approximately $14,000 per year per player, if distributed equally. Some will get $1,500 per year, others will get $25,000. With a school that isn't fully funded, it means there's just less money available.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What's the difference between a fully funded school and one that is not fully funded and how does it affect schorships? Thank you

Fully funded means the school "fully funds" the 12.5 full scholarships for the team. Assuming the school costs $50,000 per year. 12.5 x $50,000 = $625,000 in athletic money for 45 plus players per year. Approximately $14,000 per year per player, if distributed equally. Some will get $1,500 per year, others will get $25,000. With a school that isn't fully funded, it means there's just less money available.

Thank you very much

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fully funded still carries an odd connotation. The cost of a scholarship to the school is not the actual tuition/room and board that they charge a student, there is a margin. The cost to the school would be the above line gross cost (COG). The school doesn't hand the student-athlete the money and bill the student for the tuition, etc.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are tons of committed kids going to schools for essentially book money. Rosters are expanding and funding is going down.

Attendance for the final 4 has been down for 7 consecutive years after peaking in 2007 at 100k and ending up this year with just 50k. These numbers have everyone concerned and are directly tied to deciding who will continue to fully fund there programs. Great articles in the NY times talking about the only people that seem to care are the parents of players and recruits while the casual fan has been turned off from the game.

Growth rates are also down off the highs of 16% down to just 3.5% the last two years.

The game needs help expanding spectator interest.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah you need more division 1 men's programs. You need some big schools like the PAC 10 getting men's lax programs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fully funded still carries an odd connotation. The cost of a scholarship to the school is not the actual tuition/room and board that they charge a student, there is a margin. The cost to the school would be the above line gross cost (COG). The school doesn't hand the student-athlete the money and bill the student for the tuition, etc.

Ok there Price Waterhouse... Thanks for your inane clarification.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stanford would be an ideal school to start a D1 team. Excellent academics and creates a base on the West Coast to bring in talent. Denver created the first push West with a high quality program and Stanford could do the same. They already run high quality D1 programs in football, basketball, etc.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I assume that you are talking about a summer tournament team. I am sure that SE and SW will both field JV teams this spring.

I think the BOE and AD realized that there is a clear conflict of interest so they put an end to the BS.

I think you will see some other administrations follow and put an end to the collusion, coercion and extortion that has been going on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who is John Glenn varsity lax coach

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are tons of committed kids going to schools for essentially book money. Rosters are expanding and funding is going down.

Attendance for the final 4 has been down for 7 consecutive years after peaking in 2007 at 100k and ending up this year with just 50k. These numbers have everyone concerned and are directly tied to deciding who will continue to fully fund there programs. Great articles in the NY times talking about the only people that seem to care are the parents of players and recruits while the casual fan has been turned off from the game.

Growth rates are also down off the highs of 16% down to just 3.5% the last two years.

Nobody Cares But The Parents

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A good start would be airing more games on television. It is very annoying to see womens volleyball and softball get so mych more air time than lacrosse when it's the fastest growing sport!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A good start would be airing more games on television. It is very annoying to see womens volleyball and softball get so mych more air time than lacrosse when it's the fastest growing sport!

Fastest growing sport? The growth rate is at 3.5% and TV is down 50%!!! Just because some schools are adding teams doesn't mean anyone cares except for the players and their families

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who is John Glenn varsity lax coach

Boys- will be a new coach
Girls- will be tha same as last few years frown

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]The Sayville Royalty post was spot on! These people consider anyone whose parents grew up outside of Sayville outsiders. They are cordial to their parents but do scheme against the kids. Nothing brings me more joy than to watch their children being dominated by such outsiders.Coach D is also considered an outsider and as such has never been liked by the Youth Lacrosse Board.They say he doesn't know about lacrosse...blah...blah..I tell them that you can't argue with success. They think that the Sayville boys are so talented that if we had a REAL coach we would win the County every year. Here's a tip our athletes are no better than the athletes in other towns! Some are great some are average and some are terrible. Just like everywhere else. It takes a good coach to recognize talent and to utilize it correctly in order to be successful. The man has been that! His crime was pissing off some suits on the school board because he stood up to them in the name of safety. I'll take a guy like that every time over some worm.

Sayville Royalty????? What the [lacrosse] are you clowns talking about? That may be the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. Posts like that make you look idiotic and ruin your credibility. These are the same kinds of statements and ideas that made you all come across as meatheads at the board meeting. I'm all for Coach getting his job back, but calling out a large percentage of the community like that is senseless and prejudicial.

The people causing the removal of Coach D should have been called out and if those statements are deemed prejudicial, maybe they are fitting. I still don't understand how a Board removes a coach because of the actions of parents. The decision was not intended to improve the program, it was an emotional reaction to a group of parents who fought for the benefit of the program.

Listen Mr. M, we're on the same side of the fence on this one. I never asked for, or even thought about, the coach being removed. But calling out people just because their family has strong roots in the community is just plain stupid. I fall into that category. So do many of my friends and our children. I've never, ever, exhibited the aforementioned characteristics and take great offense to them. If you're going to throw stones, be careful that your aim is good or you may alienate yourself even more.

If enough people show up to the next Board of Ed meeting to voice their opinions, then the answer is yes. The Board should represent the citizens of the town/ district that employs them. If they need to hear from us, we need to show up and express our indignation with what has been done thus far and ensure the wrong is righted. Similar to the meeting before last spring season. I think they have dragged the process out over time expecting us to lose interest, well I have not lost interest. In fact, I am more emboldened to be as proactive as possible. I hope the people who caused this to happen in the first place show up and publicly express their opinions and wishes. But, we all know that will never happen.

Who is the Sayville Boys lacrosse varsity coach? Varsity lax teams are preparing to begin indoor lax practices and we still don't have an answer. I keep hearing "Don't worry, they will bring back Coach D" but why haven't they already done it? A few disgruntled parents should NOT be allowed to ruin a program. Is anyone else from Sayville concerned?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]The Sayville Royalty post was spot on! These people consider anyone whose parents grew up outside of Sayville outsiders. They are cordial to their parents but do scheme against the kids. Nothing brings me more joy than to watch their children being dominated by such outsiders.Coach D is also considered an outsider and as such has never been liked by the Youth Lacrosse Board.They say he doesn't know about lacrosse...blah...blah..I tell them that you can't argue with success. They think that the Sayville boys are so talented that if we had a REAL coach we would win the County every year. Here's a tip our athletes are no better than the athletes in other towns! Some are great some are average and some are terrible. Just like everywhere else. It takes a good coach to recognize talent and to utilize it correctly in order to be successful. The man has been that! His crime was pissing off some suits on the school board because he stood up to them in the name of safety. I'll take a guy like that every time over some worm.

Sayville Royalty????? What the [lacrosse] are you clowns talking about? That may be the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. Posts like that make you look idiotic and ruin your credibility. These are the same kinds of statements and ideas that made you all come across as meatheads at the board meeting. I'm all for Coach getting his job back, but calling out a large percentage of the community like that is senseless and prejudicial.

The people causing the removal of Coach D should have been called out and if those statements are deemed prejudicial, maybe they are fitting. I still don't understand how a Board removes a coach because of the actions of parents. The decision was not intended to improve the program, it was an emotional reaction to a group of parents who fought for the benefit of the program.

Listen Mr. M, we're on the same side of the fence on this one. I never asked for, or even thought about, the coach being removed. But calling out people just because their family has strong roots in the community is just plain stupid. I fall into that category. So do many of my friends and our children. I've never, ever, exhibited the aforementioned characteristics and take great offense to them. If you're going to throw stones, be careful that your aim is good or you may alienate yourself even more.

If enough people show up to the next Board of Ed meeting to voice their opinions, then the answer is yes. The Board should represent the citizens of the town/ district that employs them. If they need to hear from us, we need to show up and express our indignation with what has been done thus far and ensure the wrong is righted. Similar to the meeting before last spring season. I think they have dragged the process out over time expecting us to lose interest, well I have not lost interest. In fact, I am more emboldened to be as proactive as possible. I hope the people who caused this to happen in the first place show up and publicly express their opinions and wishes. But, we all know that will never happen.

Who is the Sayville Boys lacrosse varsity coach? Varsity lax teams are preparing to begin indoor lax practices and we still don't have an answer. I keep hearing "Don't worry, they will bring back Coach D" but why haven't they already done it? A few disgruntled parents should NOT be allowed to ruin a program. Is anyone else from Sayville concerned?

The best available coach should be given the job, even if that coach is the guy they didn't allow to return. The superintendent and board of education need to make a decision based on available candidates since they decided this was the proper path to travel down.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Superintendents don't care about athletics. They want a steady no drama coach and if they win its a plus. Only the education matters. They want a coach that doesn't get them phone calls or surprise visits at board meetings. I love the fact that the parents on here can't name their kids 6 or 7 teachers during the SCHOOL DAY but know everything about coaches . Get your priorities straight people!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If school districts were to adhere to the rule of selecting the best available candidate (coach) a lot of incumbents would be out of a job.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

His name escapes me. He's a local college assistant coach. HS and college playing experience and college level coaching experience. His credentials are sound and I would expect that he will be announced soon.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
not from the town... but how can a current College asst be a HS head coach! There is not enough time in the day.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did SJB fill its spot yet. That could be a diamond in the rough for an experienced coach. Right in West Islip could be good for some who are familiar with the area.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Superintendents don't care about athletics. They want a steady no drama coach and if they win its a plus. Only the education matters. They want a coach that doesn't get them phone calls or surprise visits at board meetings. I love the fact that the parents on here can't name their kids 6 or 7 teachers during the SCHOOL DAY but know everything about coaches . Get your priorities straight people!

Only the education matters? Life lessons are learned in sports, not in classrooms. Education first, but athletics is a wonderful environment to learn about life. Too many maladjusted kids are leaving school without the ability to be a teammate, learn to contribute to a greater good, set goals and work hard to achieve them, etc. etc. Athletics taught me what it took to be a winner and that translated to life--college, then business. I learned how to be a winner playing lacrosse. Sorry, it's not just the education that matters.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
not from the town... but how can a current College asst be a HS head coach! There is not enough time in the day.

I think that person meant that he's a college asst coach now, but slated to take over at Sayville

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Only the education matters? Life lessons are learned in sports, not in classrooms. Education first, but athletics is a wonderful environment to learn about life. Too many maladjusted kids are leaving school without the ability to be a teammate, learn to contribute to a greater good, set goals and work hard to achieve them, etc. etc. Athletics taught me what it took to be a winner and that translated to life--college, then business. I learned how to be a winner playing lacrosse. Sorry, it's not just the education that matters.

You also need a coach who is going to demand your best, treat you like a man-not a child, set the winning tone and be an example to follow. We have that in Coach D, but some parents want special treatment and want their kids to be babied. Great lesson to teach your kids, Mom & Dad.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think that person meant that he's a college asst coach now, but slated to take over at Sayville

You made that as clear as mud... Question is... will he quit his College post to coach Sayville. if not, LOOK OUT!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You made that as clear as mud... Question is... will he quit his College post to coach Sayville. if not, LOOK OUT!!!

What college?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you are referring to that titanic loser who interviewed, that is not an upgrade. I don't want a degenerate coaching my sons. God help us.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What college?

Please don't say Hartwick

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Didn't say current. Former.

Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard