BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,672
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 27 of 29 1 2 25 26 27 28 29
Re: Boys Spring 2014 High School Varsity Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And it appears that some of these recent early commits are getting the stink eye from the varsity and assistant coaches. It would seem that they are a bit put off by the fact that a club player can be committed without ever having played for them. Kind of minimizes their self imposed "I am the master of the gateway to college lax in (insert your town here)"

How dare a player allow him or herself to be committed without the input of the exalted HS lax coach and staff. Neal and prepare to be beheaded as an example to those who follow.

Then the abuse starts in a classic passive / aggressive manner towards said players by HS coaches who I thought were bound by the same ZERO TOLERANCE to bullying laws that schools abide by. Above the law is where they operate in order to knock down kids who have accomplished a considerable amount prior to entering HS.

It's disgusting. Period. [/quote]

This is a very one sided view. Sometimes, the early commit feels that they are commited to play for(insert your college here), and they dont have to play the team game or that they dont have to follow the program because they have already made it. Sometimes junior feels that they are better than the rest of their team because Duke wanted him or Hopkins or UVA. Sometimes a coach needs to reign them in for the teams sake as well as for his sake. Because whether he knows it or not his sh*t does still infact stink. Sometimes when they are not coddled and told how wonderful they are and thanked for playing for such a lowly high school team they cry because they are being bullied. the mean coach is an ingrate. The mean coach is jealous the mean coach is angry because he didnt get to play the king maker.
Sometimes the very talented are prima donnas and want to be told how great they are. They are not always the team player that daddy thinks they are. The one guy who will still push him is the coach. Then the coach will get blasted for being a jealous, angry bully. Then junior goes off and struggles because the College coach who wanted him to come has him on campus and wants performance, team play and sacrifice. All things the superstar refused to learn from a bully

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

And it appears that some of these recent early commits are getting the stink eye from the varsity and assistant coaches. It would seem that they are a bit put off by the fact that a club player can be committed without ever having played for them. Kind of minimizes their self imposed "I am the master of the gateway to college lax in (insert your town here)"

How dare a player allow him or herself to be committed without the input of the exalted HS lax coach and staff. Neal and prepare to be beheaded as an example to those who follow.

Then the abuse starts in a classic passive / aggressive manner towards said players by HS coaches who I thought were bound by the same ZERO TOLERANCE to bullying laws that schools abide by. Above the law is where they operate in order to knock down kids who have accomplished a considerable amount prior to entering HS.

It's disgusting. Period.

This is a very one sided view. Sometimes, the early commit feels that they are commited to play for(insert your college here), and they dont have to play the team game or that they dont have to follow the program because they have already made it. Sometimes junior feels that they are better than the rest of their team because Duke wanted him or Hopkins or UVA. Sometimes a coach needs to reign them in for the teams sake as well as for his sake. Because whether he knows it or not his sh*t does still infact stink. Sometimes when they are not coddled and told how wonderful they are and thanked for playing for such a lowly high school team they cry because they are being bullied. the mean coach is an ingrate. The mean coach is jealous the mean coach is angry because he didnt get to play the king maker.
Sometimes the very talented are prima donnas and want to be told how great they are. They are not always the team player that daddy thinks they are. The one guy who will still push him is the coach. Then the coach will get blasted for being a jealous, angry bully. Then junior goes off and struggles because the College coach who wanted him to come has him on campus and wants performance, team play and sacrifice. All things the superstar refused to learn from a bully [/quote]

Your point is taken and much appreciated as that is also a scenario we have all Witnessed but to a lesser degree just based on the rarity of that combination.

However, let's cull the parameters a little more. Say little Johnny is as humble as American apple pie to a fault. Does everything by the numbers, is first on and last off of the field.

Now Let's focus on the real psychopaths that we are endearing and subjecting our kid to. We have all seen it. Using my son as an example was to show that he at least has a potential escape hatch eventually and hopefully if he continues to grow and mature. He may yet be passed by as the late bloomers come and possibly surpass his abilities athletically and academically. So the reality check box is firmly filled in over here anyway

But will exposure to these type of outdated coaching techniques ( I wouldn't use the term philosophy, here, as there isnt any to be had at all) tend to be repeated down the line as some kids end up coaching themselves when all is said and done. Become what their environment is/ was; if you will. (Parenting clearly should over ride these influences, but we know how the pack mentality tends shape adolescent minds.

This still does not excuse extreme bullying by that coach or his staff towards that player or any other on that team must endure. I've overheard kids saying that they are sick of the BS and would consider quitting the game entirely if not for the external social pressures to stay in the cycle of abuse/ silence/ ignore it/ play on pattern.

As far as those who may be committed needing further pushing; that is well understood, yet it does not need be done in a demeening and or insulting fashion designed to break an rebuild in the coache's own image. And lets admit another thing... These early commits really are slf motivators and tend to be the type that wouldn't even tell someone they are hurt. They are warriors in their own rights

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All your points were valid til that stupid warrior comment. They're not warriors. They're 14-15 yr old KIDS playing a GAME. Nothing more.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All your points were valid til that stupid warrior comment. They're not warriors. They're 14-15 yr old KIDS playing a GAME. Nothing more.

Warrior as in warrior / competitor mentality.

No reason for the negative adjective, thanks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I played high school football and lacrosse as well as college lacrosse and I have the opposite opinion of high school coaches as the above poster, I think they are too soft on the kids and to friendly and accommodating to the parents. High School sports have become too much about participating and not enough about winning. Kids that are not good should be cut, kids that are failing should be cut and coaches should have little to no contact with parents. If a kid is being picked on by a group of kids in the hall that is bullying if a coach gets in a kids face in practice or in a game yelling and cursing he is not bullying he is coaching and making the kid a better player and the team better. By your definition Herb Brooks was a bully by mine he was a winner and while his players may not have loved him, they respected him.

High school lacrosse needs to be more about the team winning and not the individual stats, about county championships not college commitments and growing as a person not having mommy and daddy making sure their kid is handled with kid gloves.

Kids need to respect the game and respect the coach and the coach needs to respect the game and respect the kids, unfortunately most of these kids do not learn how to respect a coach and in turn do not earn the respect of the coach.

I don't want to be friends with my sons high school coach, I want him to make my son a better player and win, I will teach him about life.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I absolutely agree 100% with your post. Unfortunately a lot of coaches play the favorite game. Either because of parent friendships or some other agenda. Bringing up freshman and some sophomores because the parents are in the coaches ear and don't rock the boat. I have never seen so much b/s in another sport. I am by no means unhappy with my kids situation on the high school team. My issue is that his coach is clearly playing kids that are not ready to play at the varsity level. All this while sitting seniors that a clearly better. Maybe he is thinking about a few years down the road. But like you said the coaches should concentrate on the team and on winning. But concentrate on winning with this team and this year. Do not sacrifice a season or 2 because you think you are going to build a dream team by bringing up 13 year olds to get them ready for a county championship in 2017. Play the best you have now.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I played high school football and lacrosse as well as college lacrosse and I have the opposite opinion of high school coaches as the above poster, I think they are too soft on the kids and to friendly and accommodating to the parents. High School sports have become too much about participating and not enough about winning. Kids that are not good should be cut, kids that are failing should be cut and coaches should have little to no contact with parents. If a kid is being picked on by a group of kids in the hall that is bullying if a coach gets in a kids face in practice or in a game yelling and cursing he is not bullying he is coaching and making the kid a better player and the team better. By your definition Herb Brooks was a bully by mine he was a winner and while his players may not have loved him, they respected him.

As the OP in this aspect of the discussion; I agree with your sentiments entirely.

The part that is the elephant in the room is exactly based on respect or the lack there of and how we as parents can certainly discern the difference between hard nose coaching and mental abuse. I would site several examples in support of this from a personal experience but that would minimize the anonymity of the OP and potentially cause greater difficulties for my child. Therefor, I am complicit in propagating this dilemma.

I am not familiar with the coach you named an as such cannot offer an opinion.

Suffice it to say that there are in fact coaches at the club and Jr high and HS level that need to have their performances and potential for unfit conduct and treatment of players reviewed.

We all can name one or two coaches that fall into serious socially unacceptable behavior categories that we would not have our kid play for if given a chance.

High school lacrosse needs to be more about the team winning and not the individual stats, about county championships not college commitments and growing as a person not having mommy and daddy making sure their kid is handled with kid gloves.

Kids need to respect the game and respect the coach and the coach needs to respect the game and respect the kids, unfortunately most of these kids do not learn how to respect a coach and in turn do not earn the respect of the coach.

I don't want to be friends with my sons high school coach, I want him to make my son a better player and win, I will teach him about life.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I absolutely agree 100% with your post. Unfortunately a lot of coaches play the favorite game. Either because of parent friendships or some other agenda. Bringing up freshman and some sophomores because the parents are in the coaches ear and don't rock the boat. I have never seen so much b/s in another sport. I am by no means unhappy with my kids situation on the high school team. My issue is that his coach is clearly playing kids that are not ready to play at the varsity level. All this while sitting seniors that a clearly better. Maybe he is thinking about a few years down the road. But like you said the coaches should concentrate on the team and on winning. But concentrate on winning with this team and this year. Do not sacrifice a season or 2 because you think you are going to build a dream team by bringing up 13 year olds to get them ready for a county championship in 2017. Play the best you have now.

No coach sits a senior, who is better then a 9th or 10th grader, unless there is a disipline poroblem. I would say 99% of the time the parent has the wrong perception about how good their kid is. It is just too hard for the parents to admit that to themselves. I have first hand knowledge of this.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well said, coaches today in H.S. are not "coaching" anymore , they are trying to be your friend to avaid any unwanted attention towards them or the school, because of this MANY kids when they get into the college ranks they fail out and crash and wind up back their parents basement apt.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In our town the HS lax coach runs a fundraiser every year in which parents fall all over themselves donating money and prizes in order to get on his good side. He also has a for-profit summer lax program that all the best players are "encouraged" to join and again, suck-up dads line up to help him run it.

So, yes, separation would be nice.....but the reality is the entire paradigm has moved in the opposite direction. These coaches use their positions to create other businesses and they need the parents support to make money. Not only are they not separating themselves from the parents they are actively courting them as donors and paying customers.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well said, coaches today in H.S. are not "coaching" anymore , they are trying to be your friend to avaid any unwanted attention towards them or the school, because of this MANY kids when they get into the college ranks they fail out and crash and wind up back their parents basement apt.

define " many " and provide a source, if you will.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In our town the HS lax coach runs a fundraiser every year in which parents fall all over themselves donating money and prizes in order to get on his good side. He also has a for-profit summer lax program that all the best players are "encouraged" to join and again, suck-up dads line up to help him run it.

So, yes, separation would be nice.....but the reality is the entire paradigm has moved in the opposite direction. These coaches use their positions to create other businesses and they need the parents support to make money. Not only are they not separating themselves from the parents they are actively courting them as donors and paying customers.

it is just this type blind pandering and idolizing that would allow an abusive coaching manner to fester and go unchecked. These lemmings then all look down at their feet when questioned why they tolerate such an egomaniac and abusive coach out fear of reproach by the coaches.

tell us please; what happens to the kids in your town that elect to play club ball outside of the "encouraged" for profit town team?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

it is just this type blind pandering and idolizing that would allow an abusive coaching manner to fester and go unchecked. These lemmings then all look down at their feet when questioned why they tolerate such an egomaniac and abusive coach out fear of reproach by the coaches.

tell us please; what happens to the kids in your town that elect to play club ball outside of the "encouraged" for profit town team?

Not playing on the coach's for-profit team doesn't mean you'll never make it at the HS, it just makes it harder. One way some deal with that is to have their kids play both. They figure the kids get better competition and coaching with the club, but they also can never be accused of not supporting the HS coach. It also results in about a $4500 annual lax bill for the parents....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not playing on the coach's for-profit team doesn't mean you'll never make it at the HS, it just makes it harder. One way some deal with that is to have their kids play both. They figure the kids get better competition and coaching with the club, but they also can never be accused of not supporting the HS coach. It also results in about a $4500 annual lax bill for the parents....

4500 try double for those doing just that

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please, another mommy crying. All this while sitting seniors that are clearly better? what a joke. Coaches want to win. Most will go down to underclassmen for a reason.....because the upperclassmen arent that good or they are "soft". They know bringing these kids up will cause problems but its about winning. If your kid is sitting behind a frosh, your kid isnt good! deal with it....maybe give him a bowling ball & say here son, this is your new sport.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What do you do if you live in a non peer house town like me(commack) and ghe coach does the same thing. He wants your kid to play for his travel team and no other. My kid is not developed enough to play for one of the big clubs but most clubs are still better than commack. Feel like I'm being forced to pay and play for the varsity coaches "travel" team that stinks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What do you do if you live in a non peer house town like me(commack) and ghe coach does the same thing. He wants your kid to play for his travel team and no other. My kid is not developed enough to play for one of the big clubs but most clubs are still better than commack. Feel like I'm being forced to pay and play for the varsity coaches "travel" team that stinks.

I would imagine that if my child was destined to be on, by your description, a non competitive HS team and he was yet to deveolop and earnestly wanted to play; I would lean towards putting my money towards a club program where better coaching may be had and ultimately have a better overall experience. I would not enjoy the taste of the feeling of having pay to play, so to speak, for the weaker town travel team.

If he ends up developing into a good enough player for the travel team of his choice, he will at least have that enjoyable experience under his belt with vastly more potential to be scouted if that is in his future.

Even if his high school coach doesn't play him, he can stay with with his club team and continue to grow as a player and have a great time.

Hope that helps

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It happens in our high school year after year with our horrible coach.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Scores Today??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any predictions for Smithtown West this Spring?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

03/21 vs Bronxville Lose (8-11)

03/25 at Half Hollow Hills West Win (13-11)

03/27 North Babylon Win (13-4)

04/01 Penfield Lose (4-9)

04/01 at West Babylon Win (15-5)

04/08 East Islip Win (8-6)

04/10 at Bellport Win (19-2)

04/14 Deer Park Win (21-1)

04/16 at Half Hollow Hills East Win (8-5)

04/22 Walt Whitman Lose (5-7)

04/29 Smithtown East Lose (5-14)

05/01 Riverhead Win (9-8)

05/06 at Copiague Win (17-2)

05/09 at West Islip Win (10-8)

lose in Second round of playoffs to WM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

funny

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You think pretty highly of yourself huh????? Can you predict when you will stop annoying us all with your predictions?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You think pretty highly of yourself huh????? Can you predict when you will stop annoying us all with your predictions?

not sure where all the hate is coming from, dude asked for predictions and I gave mine - don't really think too highly of myself, it's 9:30 on New Years Eve and I'm posting on BOTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Merry new year

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This thread is poisonous.... Enough with all the negativity.....I'm just looking forward to a great season. Most of the high school schedules are out and it will be here before you know it. I wish all your sons success this year......My New Years resolution was to be more positive!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Team Long Island wins Brine national and then beats Canada for Brogden Cup.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...it-change-the-cannons-and-lizards-/30458

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry wrong link above.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...da-maryland-wins-brine-brogden-cup/30460

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Brine is only good for middle school. The HS competitions are weak and pointless. Much better of doing high quality recruiting tournaments like adrenalin, legacy,UA, even some good on LI for HS age kids

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Brine is only good for middle school. The HS competitions are weak and pointless. Much better of doing high quality recruiting tournaments like adrenalin, legacy,UA, even some good on LI for HS age kids

This is not a recruiting event, this is a great event that everybody that participates in loved. with the early recruiting that is going on no event for rising seniors is going to be a recruiting event, everybody on UA was committed and Maverik does not even have a rising senior showcase. nothing wrong with an event that is just flat out fun and this one is just that

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is not a recruiting event, this is a great event that everybody that participates in loved. with the early recruiting that is going on no event for rising seniors is going to be a recruiting event, everybody on UA was committed and Maverik does not even have a rising senior showcase. nothing wrong with an event that is just flat out fun and this one is just that

And expensive!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Somebody kid wasn't invited.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry wrong link above.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...da-maryland-wins-brine-brogden-cup/30460

Yawn.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And expensive!

And somebody can't afford it!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And expensive!

Do you just stick to the free events? I think it's about $400 all in for two rounds of tryouts and the tournament if you make it. not terrible by today's standards

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And expensive!

Do you just stick to the free events? I think it's about $400 all in for two rounds of tryouts and the tournament if you make it. not terrible by today's standards

Plus the $$$$ to travel to Florida at Christmas during a recruiting blackout period while many of the best players are playing for free on national teams. If you are still looking to be recruited, this does not seem to be the best event to spend money on. Go to prospect days.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And expensive!

Plus the $$$$ to travel to Florida at Christmas during a recruiting blackout period while many of the best players are playing for free on national teams. If you are still looking to be recruited, this does not seem to be the best event to spend money on. Go to prospect days.

This is NOT a recruiting event, same travel costs as [lacrosse]'s and you get to wear USA on the front of your jersey, most if not all of the players on the team are committed and the Brogden Cup is for the winning team from the Brine Nationals so it is an extra. Nobody that went to this was forced to go they all wanted to go and all had a great time. Black out period was not an issue.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once again Chaminade has a Gauntlet of a schedule.
Always plays one of the toughest schedules in the country.
Traditional Rivalry games with stiff competition.

I'd like them to go after a team from Philly too.

03/21 at Ward Melville
03/25 Massapequa
03/28 at West Islip
04/01 Iona Prep
04/11 Manhasset
04/15 St Anthony's
04/21 at Kellenberg Memorial
04/22 St Dominic
04/25 at Yorktown
04/28 at St John Baptist
04/30 at Holy Trinity
05/02 Greenwich HS
05/06 at St Anthony's
05/09 Fairfield Prep
05/16 at Delbarton

In recent years, Yorktown, Fairfield Prep and Delby have caused them fits. How will St. Ants be? How about Pequa this year?
Is Mahhasset a real team this year? Dow West Islip or Ward Melville have bounceback years?

Which team(s) will provide the biggest test?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

03/21 at Ward Melville
03/25 Massapequa
03/28 at West Islip
04/01 Iona Prep
04/11 Manhasset
04/15 St Anthony's
04/22 St Dominic
04/25 at Yorktown
04/28 at St John Baptist
04/30 at Holy Trinity
05/02 Greenwich HS
05/06 at St Anthony's
05/09 Fairfield Prep
05/16 at Delbarton

In recent years, Yorktown, Fairfield Prep and Delby have caused them fits. How will St. Ants be? How about Pequa this year?
Is Mahhasset a real team this year? Dow West Islip or Ward Melville have bounceback years?

Chaminade should play one of the toughest schedules, they may be the only lacrosse school out there with 450 boys per grade from all over the lax hotbed of Long Island to choose from! The fact that they don't destroy all these other public schools is kind of lame...or speaks to how strong these LI public school programs really are.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

03/21 at Ward Melville
03/25 Massapequa
03/28 at West Islip
04/01 Iona Prep
04/11 Manhasset
04/15 St Anthony's
04/22 St Dominic
04/25 at Yorktown
04/28 at St John Baptist
04/30 at Holy Trinity
05/02 Greenwich HS
05/06 at St Anthony's
05/09 Fairfield Prep
05/16 at Delbarton

Chaminade should play one of the toughest schedules, they may be the only lacrosse school out there with 450 boys per grade from all over the lax hotbed of Long Island to choose from! The fact that they don't destroy all these other public schools is kind of lame...or speaks to how strong these LI public school programs really are.

Hope to see Greenwich hand them another beat down!

Page 27 of 29 1 2 25 26 27 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard