@BackOfTheCAGE
Here is the last page of the previous 2027 Girls Mid Atlantic Region Thread..... {lease use think and comment in the new field. If you scroll down to the very Bottom of this Post, you will see the Last Thread from the previous Thread in Bold Letters.

Thanks and our apologize for the inconvenient.

Anonymous#430121NewWed Nov 29 2023 09:10 AM Originally Posted by Anonymous Here's my take on the MD teams in Top-25.

1) Hero's Green
Hard to say they should be ranked ahead of M&D, but really splitting hairs here, based on last year of data and fall, I got no problem with them at #1.

2) M&D
They are getting a lot of credit for blowing out teams I feel are overinflated (CLC/Phantastix), they also had some injuries to key players and aren't where they will be in summer.

11) Skywalkers Blue
Obviously they improved, we all saw this coming, I'm not sure they are top-12 though. Their best game was a 4-3 win over Mass Elite. Some things don't look good, a 5-4 win over Salt City? Only losing by 3 to FS and by 1 to M&D (was this a palyoff short game?) looks great.

16) Coppermine
They always hang around, maybe they are as good as they've been, they don't have a signature win but the 5-6 loss to Aces was impressive, but losing to HW 5-6 as well. Just odd.

19) MD United
I know they are without some stars due to injury but I still don't think these scores should be this ugly. Losing to CT Grizzles and not even competing against FS and HG, two teams they tied or beat last year.

What’s your take on the NY teams in top 25?

3) Jesters
I know they added a new goalie but to me their defense is one of the best anyways so already strong there. They aren't top-5, but yes, they are still top-10 and will have some nice wins. Offense will be better than previous seasons.

5) Aces
They are inconsistent, but when on, they are as tough as anyone. I always felt if you can keep up in Draws, and slow game down, you can beat them. If you combined Jesters with Aces it would be a super team. Nice showing against M&D but got all they could handle vs Coppermine.

9) Prime Time
They aren't this good. They are solid team no doubt but not top-10. Blowing the doors off Top Guns got them in top-10. Couple of nice offensive players.

12) Monster
There's not one game where I was impressed based on scores, I think PT and Triple Threat are overrated based on standings, and I think they are in that category with them. They do have a few girls who can really shoot well.

24) Liberty
This sounds about right. They did almost beat Steps Navy, which I find a real tough team to figure out. 6-3 win over NXT legitimizes their ranking.

Like Edit Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS
Vantage Sports

Re: Girls 2027 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
Anonymous#430122NewWed Nov 29 2023 09:12 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Neither of those teams have peaked. They both have great multi-sport athletes up and down the roster that have been dealing with injury or in season High School and club sports. They'll keep competing at a high level. The great thing about both of those teams is that they've largely kept the same rosters and been loyal to each other. Developed over time and will continue to do so. I cheer for both of them.

I've seen Coppermine vs MDU go head to head and its always a hard fought, well played game. ITs not M&D vs Hero's, but its entertaining.

Like Edit Reply Quote

Anonymous#430127NewWed Nov 29 2023 09:29 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Neither of those teams have peaked. They both have great multi-sport athletes up and down the roster that have been dealing with injury or in season High School and club sports. They'll keep competing at a high level. The great thing about both of those teams is that they've largely kept the same rosters and been loyal to each other. Developed over time and will continue to do so. I cheer for both of them.

I've seen Coppermine vs MDU go head to head and its always a hard fought, well played game. ITs not M&D vs Hero's, but its entertaining.

M&D and Hero's on a different level. But people tend to forget sometimes there is still a lot of great lacrosse played among many other local teams. We're lucky to live in an area where there are so many viewing options at tournaments

Like Edit Reply Quote

Anonymous#430144NewWed Nov 29 2023 11:01 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's my take on the MD teams in Top-25.

1) Hero's Green
Hard to say they should be ranked ahead of M&D, but really splitting hairs here, based on last year of data and fall, I got no problem with them at #1.

2) M&D
They are getting a lot of credit for blowing out teams I feel are overinflated (CLC/Phantastix), they also had some injuries to key players and aren't where they will be in summer.

11) Skywalkers Blue
Obviously they improved, we all saw this coming, I'm not sure they are top-12 though. Their best game was a 4-3 win over Mass Elite. Some things don't look good, a 5-4 win over Salt City? Only losing by 3 to FS and by 1 to M&D (was this a palyoff short game?) looks great.

16) Coppermine
They always hang around, maybe they are as good as they've been, they don't have a signature win but the 5-6 loss to Aces was impressive, but losing to HW 5-6 as well. Just odd.

19) MD United
I know they are without some stars due to injury but I still don't think these scores should be this ugly. Losing to CT Grizzles and not even competing against FS and HG, two teams they tied or beat last year.

3) Jesters
I know they added a new goalie but to me their defense is one of the best anyways so already strong there. They aren't top-5, but yes, they are still top-10 and will have some nice wins. Offense will be better than previous seasons.

5) Aces
They are inconsistent, but when on, they are as tough as anyone. I always felt if you can keep up in Draws, and slow game down, you can beat them. If you combined Jesters with Aces it would be a super team. Nice showing against M&D but got all they could handle vs Coppermine.

9) Prime Time
They aren't this good. They are solid team no doubt but not top-10. Blowing the doors off Top Guns got them in top-10. Couple of nice offensive players.

12) Monster
There's not one game where I was impressed based on scores, I think PT and Triple Threat are overrated based on standings, and I think they are in that category with them. They do have a few girls who can really shoot well.

24) Liberty
This sounds about right. They did almost beat Steps Navy, which I find a real tough team to figure out. 6-3 win over NXT legitimizes their ranking.

Aces is always an X factor. Incredibly attacking options. However, their draw girl probably false starts on 70% of draws. When refs start calling that, they can't beat good teams. When they don't, they will win 2/3rds of the draw and can beat anyone.

Yellow Jackets is most talented team in Northeast and will minimal roster changes since last year will be competitive in every tourney this Summer.
[quote=BOTC_EVENTS]Here is the last page of the previous 2027 Girls Mid Atlantic Region Thread..... {lease use think and comment in the new field. If you scroll down to the very Bottom of this Post, you will see the Last Thread from the previous Thread in Bold Letters.

Thanks and our apologize for the inconvenient.

Anonymous#430121NewWed Nov 29 2023 09:10 AM Originally Posted by Anonymous Here's my take on the MD teams in Top-25.

1) Hero's Green

2) M&D

11) Skywalkers Blue

16) Coppermine

19) MD United

3) Jesters

5) Aces

9) Prime Time

12) Monster

24) Liberty

Like Edit Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS
Vantage Sports

Anonymous#430122NewWed Nov 29 2023 09:12 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like Edit Reply Quote

Anonymous#430127NewWed Nov 29 2023 09:29 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

M&D and Hero's on a different level. But people tend to forget sometimes there is still a lot of great lacrosse played among many other local teams. We're lucky to live in an area where there are so many viewing options at tournaments

Like Edit Reply Quote

Anonymous#430144NewWed Nov 29 2023 11:01 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

[b]Originally Posted by Anonymous
Here's my take on the MD teams in Top-25.

1) Hero's Green

2) M&D

11) Skywalkers Blue

16) Coppermine

19) MD United

3) Jesters

5) Aces

9) Prime Time

12) Monster

24) Liberty

What teams would you put ahead of Skywalkers, Prime Time, Monster and Triple Threat?
YJ #1??? Only solid win is FS. They barely played and lost mass elite and let 180 score 6 on them. What about heros and md??
YJ #1??? Only solid win is FS. They barely played and lost mass elite and let 180 score 6 on them. What about heros and md??

M&D dropped 2 spots. Even though they beat Jesters and Hero's. And have the most wins and stronger schedule.

ACES at 8? Should be top 3 or 4. Rankings are skewed to say the least
Those rankings are a joke
Doesn't pass the eyeball test.

M&D, Hero's, YJ as 1a, 1b and 1c. Then everybody else.

M&D dropped 2 spots. Even though they beat Jesters and Hero's. And have the most wins and stronger schedule.

YJ beat FS and 180 by more than hero’s did. Jesters has no top wins. There always an argument if u tilt it your way. MD played tight games has effect on rating.

YJ beat FS and 180 by more than hero’s did. Jesters has no top wins. There always an argument if u tilt it your way. MD played tight games has effect on rating.

Tight games don’t matter. It’s all about wins vs top teams.
The winter of discontent

Too much weight on goal diff and not enough for wins. They should add bonus points for wins. Blowing out a team is better for you than winning a close game against a top team. Not to mention not enough games for the top teams against each other to get an accurate strength of schedule. Fall rankings are always kind of a joke. But, I go back to the system doesn't reward wins. You could go winless and still be top 10 if you played every loss to a one goal game.

Too much weight on goal diff and not enough for wins. They should add bonus points for wins. Blowing out a team is better for you than winning a close game against a top team. Not to mention not enough games for the top teams against each other to get an accurate strength of schedule. Fall rankings are always kind of a joke. But, I go back to the system doesn't reward wins. You could go winless and still be top 10 if you played every loss to a one goal game.

Yj over 180 is a big win?!
You aren’t going to be top 10 and winless unless you are losing to other top teams by a goal or two, in which case, seems you are legitimately a top 10 team
Not sure how MD is 4th after beating Heros and Jesters.
Uuuuuuuuuge win

Because LI clubs are in the pocket of US Club lax. It's a theme across all ages this fall. LI teams ranked way higher than they should be.

This forum is going to be a quiet place until late spring. So speculating who had the best fall is about all we have to discuss. With that being said, people who follow, know who had the best fall seasons...and in general who are the best teams. There are a clear top 4

M&D
Hero's
YJ
Aces

After that you can juggle

EagleStix
Fl Select
Jesters
Steps California

Then you get into the Mass Elites, the Capitals etc.

But the 4 top teams are the same top 4 from previous summer. Anyone thinking otherwise hasn't watched all of these teams this fall

This forum is going to be a quiet place until late spring. So speculating who had the best fall is about all we have to discuss. With that being said, people who follow, know who had the best fall seasons...and in general who are the best teams. There are a clear top 4

M&D
Hero's
YJ
Aces

EagleStix
Fl Select
Jesters
Steps California

But the 4 top teams are the same top 4 from previous summer. Anyone thinking otherwise hasn't watched all of these teams this fall

We have now reached the stage where the "elite" clubs begin to add out of state talent to their rosters. You will now see some of these teams become untouchable for the vast majority of matchups.

M&D
Hero's
YJ
Aces

EagleStix
Fl Select
Jesters
Steps California

Wow you’ve watched all these teams throughout the fall. Tough to do since some were never even at the same tourneys through the entire fall. Never saw Yj here
[quote=Anonymous]Not sure how MD is 4th after beating Heros and Jesters.

M&D
Hero's
YJ
Aces

EagleStix
Fl Select
Jesters
Steps California

Wow you’ve watched all these teams throughout the fall. Tough to do since some were never even at the same tourneys through the entire fall. Never saw Yj

Whoever made this list is pretty accurate.

I have not seen YJ play this fall. But I don't need to in order to know they are top 4 team

M&D
Hero's
YJ
Aces

EagleStix
Fl Select
Jesters
Steps California

Wow you’ve watched all these teams throughout the fall. Tough to do since some were never even at the same tourneys through the entire fall. Never saw Yj

I have not seen YJ play this fall. But I don't need to in order to know they are top 4 team

Hard to disagree. You have a very clear top 4 (M&D, HG, YJ and Aces), really good next 4 (ES, Jesters, Steps CA and probably FL S) and then lots of above average parity (Mass Elite, SW Blue, Capital, Coppermine, Steps NJ, etc) that rounds out top 15
Florida 3 jesters 4 now

M&D
Hero's
YJ
Aces

EagleStix
Fl Select
Jesters
Steps California

Hard to disagree. You have a very clear top 4 (M&D, HG, YJ and Aces), really good next 4 (ES, Jesters, Steps CA and probably FL S) and then lots of above average parity (Mass Elite, SW Blue, Capital, Coppermine, Steps NJ, etc) that rounds out top 15

SW Blue finished 28th last year. I realize they had some roster upgrades.
What based on the fall makes them jump up to top-15?

Their 4-3 on Mass Elite and their 3-4 loss to M&D our their two best performances based on the math.
If Mass Elite is overrated at top-10 as are SW Blue.

Both these games were playoffs, were they shortened games? If so, that a bit of an asterisk, given margin of victory is huge part of equation.

Their next best game was a 7-4 win on Lax Black.

For me, jury still out, but clearly they are improved.

As for Capital Blue, nothing jumps out at their schedule to make me think they are under ranked at 16.

4-3 over M&D Shore?
7-5 over CCLax?
9-7 over Phantastix?

Their best win was 8-3 over SW Blue, again, is SW overrated causing Capital to be overrated?

Obviously new team with girls learning to play together, lots of talent, I just don't see them as a top-10 team and top-16 is generous at this time.
With all due respect to the rankings, Fall rankings need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Does anybody feel like Florida Select's 9 goal win over "MD Select" (a team made of up mostly MD players not on top clubs, no offense) should be worth more than a 1 goal loss to Hero's Green? Evidently US Club rankings do, hence the flaw.

2 goal loss to Eagle Stix, not as good as a 10 goal win over "Team Ontario"?

Way too much credit for blowing out bad teams in the fall because those bad teams haven't played enough games to really drop.
With all due respect to the rankings, Fall rankings need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Does anybody feel like Florida Select's 9 goal win over "MD Select" (a team made of up mostly MD players not on top clubs, no offense) should be worth more than a 1 goal loss to Hero's Green? Evidently US Club rankings do, hence the flaw.

2 goal loss to Eagle Stix, not as good as a 10 goal win over "Team Ontario"?

Way too much credit for blowing out bad teams in the fall because those bad teams haven't played enough games to really drop.

Seems to be the norm each year that “southern” teams are a bit overrated in the fall.
Fall is tough to really gauge who is good / elite due to other sports and more importantly new blood coming onto the team with limited practices.
Fall is tough to really gauge who is good / elite due to other sports and more importantly new blood coming onto the team with limited practices.

Agreed, I prefer to use the 2023 final rankings, where most teams had over 30 games, as the barometer. Obviously teams like Capital and SW Blue notwithstanding since so much change.
Just wait till they rank alliance
Just wait till they rank alliance

Based on their rating, they would be #10. Much closer to Mass Elite (9) than Prime Time (10)
Hearing M&D might have lost another player for the year. Hopefully not the case. Wishing that team the best. Always enjoy playing them.

Happy holidays to all the Mid Atlantic teams.
Hearing M&D might have lost another player for the year. Hopefully not the case. Wishing that team the best. Always enjoy playing them.

Hope not! Rest is soooo important for girls and the amount of injuries that happen while on their menstrual cycle is staggering

Lots of injuries going on. These girls are hitting that point and multisport athletes I do wonder if its too much on them, this wasn't like it is now just a few years ago.
Anecdotally from the parent of a sophomore, the girls that play multi club sports seem to be getting injured at a very rate in the last 12 months. More than 50% of the girls that my daughter knows that play 2 (or more) club sports in addition to their school sports have had serious injuries in the last year that are keeping them out from a few months to a year or more.
Anecdotally from the parent of a sophomore, the girls that play multi club sports seem to be getting injured at a very rate in the last 12 months. More than 50% of the girls that my daughter knows that play 2 (or more) club sports in addition to their school sports have had serious injuries in the last year that are keeping them out from a few months to a year or more.

Something I don't understand, why are girls playing two or more "club" sports? Club is designed to get you recruited, at this point in High School, why are some doing both Club Soccer and Lax or Club Field Hockey and Lax? Its really not possible to do unless one of those coaches are being very flexible. Freshman should now know they want to play what sport in college. To me, its parents with a bit too much FOMO.

Something I don't understand, why are girls playing two or more "club" sports? Club is designed to get you recruited, at this point in High School, why are some doing both Club Soccer and Lax or Club Field Hockey and Lax? Its really not possible to do unless one of those coaches are being very flexible. Freshman should now know they want to play what sport in college. To me, its parents with a bit too much FOMO.

Good it’s not your problem nor your kids, because it’s none of your business what others chose or enjoy.

Good it’s not your problem nor your kids, because it’s none of your business what others chose or enjoy.

Looks like I struck a nerve.

I mean if your club team (soccer, Field Hockey Lacrosse, basketball) is down players because of multi sport conflicts, isn't it the business of those on the team affected?

I mean if your club team (soccer, Field Hockey Lacrosse, basketball) is down players because of multi sport conflicts, isn't it the business of those on the team affected?
Not if the Club allows it. In season sport gets priority - club or not. Personally, I know of many girls by HS chose one to concentrate on - can still play the other sport on their HS team.

Yay...your nerve. Fortunately, the benefits of playing multiple sports go beyond individual opinions. These athletes are thriving with diverse skills, fewer injuries (actually), and a broader perspective on sports. Their success speaks louder than any unfounded concerns.

I am seeing the same thing in terms of injuries, especially with stress fractures. Worst is in the summer, where many girls are playing two or three sports in a day.

I won't condemn anyone else for their decisions, but in 8th grade I made my 27 scale down to only 2 sports and only 1 travel sport.

Yay...your nerve. Fortunately, the benefits of playing multiple sports go beyond individual opinions. These athletes are thriving with diverse skills, fewer injuries (actually), and a broader perspective on sports. Their success speaks louder than any unfounded concerns.

No one said anything about "playing multiple sports", ie playing on your HS teams, we are specifically talking about playing multiple club team sports, ie, teams that practice and play year round. Club is for recruiting.

I am seeing the same thing in terms of injuries, especially with stress fractures. Worst is in the summer, where many girls are playing two or three sports in a day.

I won't condemn anyone else for their decisions, but in 8th grade I made my 27 scale down to only 2 sports and only 1 travel sport.

To be clear, when I say "down players" I mean missing players because of scheduling conflicts, not injuries. I think there's some flawed logic btw on the idea "multisport kids are suffer less injuries".. Kids who play or concentrate on one sport tend to get overuse injuries from using the same types of muscles over and over without building up the other parts of body not used by that sport. That makes sense.

I also don't believe we've ever seen a generation of players like we do right now with the intensity of club sports, least in this area. Ten years ago, were 2nd graders playing year round lacrosse and soccer? Maybe they were and I just didn't know but I can already see from the time my 2027 started, the younger grad years start earlier, with more teams than ever.
The whole "multi sport athletes are less likely to be injured" has a few factors

Article

1) Speaking to youth level
2) Sports share same IQ, like basketball and lacrosse, they translate in concepts
3) You aren't specializing ie you aren't playing these things year round.

The idea is you play soccer from Aug to Nov, then you play basketball from Nov to Feb then lacrosse Feb to June. What we've created here is an environment where kids play soccer from Aug through May, lacrosse from Sept through June and maybe sprinkle in Field Hockey or Basketball in there between. Pre HS kids are a bit like rubber, they can bounce back, they typically don't suffer tendon injuries, HS girls on the other hand, are different, the wear and tear is real.

""Research shows that waiting to specialize and playing multiple sports during childhood is linked to higher achievement and lower injury risk across most sports."

"Michele LaBotz, MD, medical director of the athletic training program at the University of New England in Biddeford, Maine, noted that "before children develop those sport-specific skills -- before they become particularly a soccer player or a lacrosse player -- they should really kind of build this foundation of general athleticism.""

No one said anything about "playing multiple sports", ie playing on your HS teams, we are specifically talking about playing multiple club team sports, ie, teams that practice and play year round. Club is for recruiting.

Club can be for playing at a very high level and some ladies can play a couple high level sports ! They do it because they can ! Not just for recruiting.
If you can write a check, you can play club, don’t kid yourself.

They said high level, not just club. Big difference
The problem with playing two club sports at the same time comes when there are practice and tournament conflicts. Which team gets the nod? This is especially true when the athlete is in high school and the tournaments are mostly all recruiting showcases. Not a problem choosing one sport to play club and playing multiple sports for the high school teams. In fact, that should be encouraged.

Somebody's kid is on elite club soccer team and an elite club lacrosse program at High School level?

Somebody's kid is on elite club soccer team and an elite club lacrosse program at High School level?
Yes, I've seen it. The in season sport should always take precedent. At the end of the day, it's really no ones business if it's not your child.

See: JD from UNC.

Soccer is less common but you do see FH players on elite clubs.
The problem with playing two club sports at the same time comes when there are practice and tournament conflicts. Which team gets the nod? This is especially true when the athlete is in high school and the tournaments are mostly all recruiting showcases. Not a problem choosing one sport to play club and playing multiple sports for the high school teams. In fact, that should be encouraged.

100%, in all honesty, im shocked an elite club coach would allow HS age players to miss events/practices for other sport conflicts. I have seen players on top club in one sport and a avg club on another where coach knows other team is priority.

Yes, I've seen it. The in season sport should always take precedent. At the end of the day, it's really no ones business if it's not your child.
Yeah, we've all seen it. That's the whole point of the discussion. The decision is of course always with the athlete and the parent, but we're allowed to notice that they're getting injured at a higher rate than everyone else and warn parents about whats coming. I think for the truly elite athlete that plays at a top level on both top teams, the risk might be worth it. But this is pretty rare. Typically a kid is truly elite at one and can manage to get on an elite team in the other, but isn't a top performer. These are growing kids, but they're still kids. You're going to have to pay the piper at some point for overworking their bodies beyond the ability to repair itself. I don't ascribe bad motivations to any parent trying to figure this out. Everyone wants what's best for their kid. But the 2027's are getting ready to go through the first noticeably big injury year, so be warned. (cue snarky comment...)
At the end of the day every parent and player needs to decide what is best for their family. I have 3 holders daughters who all played at private schools and higher end clubs, the amount of knee injuries in spring is insane. Crappy turf, 5-6 days a week and over conditioning.
The grind starts in Feb and will go through July for most of these 2027s. I can't imagine having them fresh off a fall sport into a winter sport before this begins. As someone stated, its ok to rest if there's a lingering issue. Do it now before the body forces you to rest.

Yeah, we've all seen it. That's the whole point of the discussion. The decision is of course always with the athlete and the parent, but we're allowed to notice that they're getting injured at a higher rate than everyone else and warn parents about whats coming. I think for the truly elite athlete that plays at a top level on both top teams, the risk might be worth it. But this is pretty rare. Typically a kid is truly elite at one and can manage to get on an elite team in the other, but isn't a top performer. These are growing kids, but they're still kids. You're going to have to pay the piper at some point for overworking their bodies beyond the ability to repair itself. I don't ascribe bad motivations to any parent trying to figure this out. Everyone wants what's best for their kid. But the 2027's are getting ready to go through the first noticeably big injury year, so be warned. (cue snarky comment...)

Agreed. This is why not making varsity as a freshman will actually be a blessing to many girls on top clubs

Agreed. This is why not making varsity as a freshman will actually be a blessing to many girls on top clubs
^What? Why is that a "blessing"?

^What? Why is that a "blessing"?

Because it will reduce their workload and likely prevent injury coming into an important summer season, especially if the player plays a winter sport.
So many are on here complaining about injuries. Questions -- are any of these girls working out outside of team practices? There are workouts to help prevent injuries. Just curious.
The grind starts in Feb and will go through July for most of these 2027s. I can't imagine having them fresh off a fall sport into a winter sport before this begins. As someone stated, its ok to rest if there's a lingering issue. Do it now before the body forces you to rest.

No real need for grind. Play high school and tournaments only. Don’t do all the overpriced non recruiting year summer events that all your friends do.
So many are on here complaining about injuries. Questions -- are any of these girls working out outside of team practices? There are workouts to help prevent injuries. Just curious.

I think there’s a fallacy that working out can prevent injuries? While true, being in shape can prevent certain soft tissue injuries, there’s no workout that prevents ACL or bone breaks. If there was, the NFL would have figured it out.
They don't have time for training between club soccer, club field hockey, travel basketball, and pickleball.
They don't have time for training between club soccer, club field hockey, travel basketball, and pickleball.

Most common injury is stress fracture which is driven by load 90 percent of the time and completely avoidable.

Speed and agility work can reduce ACL injuries and doesn’t impact injuries driven by workload.

Also remember, many of these girls have started to really lift in the last 12 months and are putting on muscle. While it helps them at sport, it is more stress for the joints to support

Most common injury is stress fracture which is driven by load 90 percent of the time and completely avoidable.

Speed and agility work can reduce ACL injuries and doesn’t impact injuries driven by workload.

Also remember, many of these girls have started to really lift in the last 12 months and are putting on muscle. While it helps them at sport, it is more stress for the joints to support

If this is the case, how do NFL players suffer these non contact injuries? I get out of shape people doing anything active can lead to injury I am just not sure how speed and agility training reduces ACL. Obviously flexibility and streching helps prevent soft issue.

Hard for me to think an Izzy Scane suffered her ACL because she didn't do enough agility work.

If this is the case, how do NFL players suffer these non contact injuries? I get out of shape people doing anything active can lead to injury I am just not sure how speed and agility training reduces ACL. Obviously flexibility and streching helps prevent soft issue.

Hard for me to think an Izzy Scane suffered her ACL because she didn't do enough agility work.

A few things about ACL tears and other ligament injuries

1) Biggest factor in genetics. Everyone is at risk but some kids are genetically predeposed to ligament injuries

2) Body mass and change in body mass is second biggest factor. The reason you see so many ACL injuries in skill position players in the NFL and high level D1 is knee ligaments aren't designed to support that type of weight moving at speed. For girls lax, a change in mass is a big deal too. Knees need time to adapt. This is way you see lots of injuries right after girls put on weight due to puberty, beginning of lifting program, other reasons...

3) Agility work is important on teaching good technique. It wont prevent injury but definitely reducing it. You dont need a complicated ACL prep class either; anything with plyometrics or change in direction/level will help.

A few things about ACL tears and other ligament injuries

1) Biggest factor in genetics. Everyone is at risk but some kids are genetically predeposed to ligament injuries

2) Body mass and change in body mass is second biggest factor. The reason you see so many ACL injuries in skill position players in the NFL and high level D1 is knee ligaments aren't designed to support that type of weight moving at speed. For girls lax, a change in mass is a big deal too. Knees need time to adapt. This is way you see lots of injuries right after girls put on weight due to puberty, beginning of lifting program, other reasons...

3) Agility work is important on teaching good technique. It wont prevent injury but definitely reducing it. You dont need a complicated ACL prep class either; anything with plyometrics or change in direction/level will help.

Biggest factor in knee injuries is overuse generally on less than ideal turf.

There is only so much tread on the tire.

100%, in all honesty, im shocked an elite club coach would allow HS age players to miss events/practices for other sport conflicts. I have seen players on top club in one sport and a avg club on another where coach knows other team is priority.

The elite truly club player can do and be very good at many sports , That is why they are elite. But there is only so much time in the day or week to train to be elite along with school . Being a true elite player at two different Club sports is like spotting a club coach only interested in the welfare of players, heard they are out there somewhere, just havent seen them.

Every childs and every parents aspirations for why they decide to let sports take over a portion of their lives differ. Along that way, it changes due to injuries, clubs and school. Ideal world, you pick one club sport and play a couple other High School sports. That seems to be getting harder and harder to do in the modern age of club sports.

No real need for grind. Play high school and tournaments only. Don’t do all the overpriced non recruiting year summer events that all your friends do.

Agreed. Save your $$ for August last chance prospect days when coaches will actually be looking at 27s.

Agreed. Save your $$ for August last chance prospect days when coaches will actually be looking at 27s.

Coaches at d1 will not be looking at 27s till August at earliest. I’m sure someone will disagree but the will move on when done 26.

Coaches at d1 will not be looking at 27s till August at earliest. I’m sure someone will disagree but the will move on when done 26.

For me, its about building your resume, not about getting seen by coaches. No college coaches were scouting AS 2027 last year, but those girls did get their name added to that list, got film and in some cases, got auto invites for other things like Best in Class and Juniors. When they evaluate who gets accepted to these things, those things matter and that is where it comes into play.

For me, its about building your resume, not about getting seen by coaches. No college coaches were scouting AS 2027 last year, but those girls did get their name added to that list, got film and in some cases, got auto invites for other things like Best in Class and Juniors. When they evaluate who gets accepted to these things, those things matter and that is where it comes into play.
I disagree - the "resume" does not matter. Getting in front of College coaches is what matters. You can be invited to ALL sorts of things, but coaches are NOT looking at that.

I disagree - the "resume" does not matter. Getting in front of College coaches is what matters. You can be invited to ALL sorts of things, but coaches are NOT looking at that.

100% true. They watch games now and film isn’t needed as much. I’m sure you know more than those that have done this before so just have at it. Look at past American select or all American kids and you will see kids that have it on their resume but don’t find a school.

100% true. They watch games now and film isn’t needed as much. I’m sure you know more than those that have done this before so just have at it. Look at past American select or all American kids and you will see kids that have it on their resume but don’t find a school.

If your daughter balls out next summer and fall they will get on lots of radars

Coaches will not be watching the high school season at all
How did any of the local 27’s do last weekend in Spooky Nook? Saw StP was in the finals- any FR make the trip up? How was their experience playing with the Varsity girls?
How did any of the local 27’s do last weekend in Spooky Nook? Saw StP was in the finals- any FR make the trip up? How was their experience playing with the Varsity girls?

Smaller squads so most schools usually only use returning varsity players, especially schools with more depth like SPSG. A quick glance shoes that the 4 27s that go to ManValley were there based on rosters, 1 at Stone Ridge, 2 at SJC, 2 at PVI, and 1 at St. Marys. St. Anthonys - the champs - looks like they only used seniors.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/arti...ampionships-rosters-schedules-more/62386
Just saw the results from MD United in the big California tourney last weekend. Is it safe to assume they didn't bring their full roster or most of their top players?

Losing in the quarters (and again in consolation game) in a weak tourney doesn't look good.

Freshman don’t play on IAAM teams in the indoor tourney. They have to make the team first. Very few freshman will even play outdoor in the spring. It’s a big jump

Freshman don’t play on IAAM teams in the indoor tourney. They have to make the team first. Very few freshman will even play outdoor in the spring. It’s a big jump

Smaller squads so most schools usually only use returning varsity players, especially schools with more depth like SPSG. A quick glance shoes that the 4 27s that go to ManValley were there based on rosters, 1 at Stone Ridge, 2 at SJC, 2 at PVI, and 1 at St. Marys. St. Anthonys - the champs - looks like they only used seniors.

As PP mentioned above, several freshmen did participate and I know Bryn Mawr also had 2 freshmen play as well.
Just saw the results from MD United in the big California tourney last weekend. Is it safe to assume they didn't bring their full roster or most of their top players?

Losing in the quarters (and again in consolation game) in a weak tourney doesn't look good.

They went 3-0 play and was #2 seed. Lost to 180, they are strong team, Top-15. Consolation games, I mean read into what you want for those. Those National teams that made it to championship are as strong as a top-10 team. National teams nearly always win these tournaments.

They went 3-0 play and was #2 seed. Lost to 180, they are strong team, Top-15. Consolation games, I mean read into what you want for those. Those National teams that made it to championship are as strong as a top-10 team. National teams nearly always win these tournaments.

My question was whether or not they brought their full team. I would assume no, given that its a holiday weekend and a 6-7 hour plane ride, likely with connections.

Even looking at pool play results, I would have expected them to win each of their pool play games by 10+ goals given the opposition. I actually think only beating Grit and Team 1 by 5 is probably worse than losing to 180.

Nothing wrong with losing to 180 if you had half of your starters. If they didn't have your full team, then it's not a horrible loss. If you did, maybe it's not horrible, but it means that MD United is no longer a top 10-15 team, probably closer to 25 or 30. In the fall, 180 wasn't competitive against any of the top 20 teams it played.

My question was whether or not they brought their full team. I would assume no, given that its a holiday weekend and a 6-7 hour plane ride, likely with connections.

Even looking at pool play results, I would have expected them to win each of their pool play games by 10+ goals given the opposition. I actually think only beating Grit and Team 1 by 5 is probably worse than losing to 180.

Nothing wrong with losing to 180 if you had half of your starters. If they didn't have your full team, then it's not a horrible loss. If you did, maybe it's not horrible, but it means that MD United is no longer a top 10-15 team, probably closer to 25 or 30. In the fall, 180 wasn't competitive against any of the top 20 teams it played.

No, full team not there, but also MDU lost two of its top players in fall to season ending injury so they aren't same team this year. Prob not a top-15 team this year with injuries.
You are really underestimating Team 180, who had guest players btw. Pretty clear you didn't actually watch their fall games or know how the games went outside of looking at the score. You don't see a two game loss to ES as a "competitive" game?

No, full team not there, but also MDU lost two of its top players in fall to season ending injury so they aren't same team this year. Prob not a top-15 team this year with injuries.
You are really underestimating Team 180, who had guest players btw. Pretty clear you didn't actually watch their fall games or know how the games went outside of looking at the score. You don't see a two game loss to ES as a "competitive" game?

I watched 180 play SW at mid-atlantic. Lost 6-3 but were clearly outclassed. Unless 180 didn't bring its full team to midatlantic, they will at best be ranked around 20. The gap between them and the top DMV teams (M&D, Heros, Capital, SW, Coppermine) is still significant.

They had 2 players who could probably start on any MD team, a few other decent players, but top to bottom not even close to a top team.

As PP mentioned above, several freshmen did participate and I know Bryn Mawr also had 2 freshmen play as well.

did any IAAM coaches participate by coaching their teams or did they all have parents coaching instead?
No IAAM coach is permitted to coach from the sidelines at Spooy Nook.
Maryland United lost several top players in the Fall due to injury. They are still a solid team with several strong players, but this is not the same team.
Maryland United lost several top players in the Fall due to injury. They are still a solid team with several strong players, but this is not the same team.

Thanks I didn't know it. Will those players be back in summer? Or is it more serious injury like ACL?

Thanks I didn't know it. Will those players be back in summer? Or is it more serious injury like ACL?

One will return after fall, two others will miss summer.

It’s all dependent on the school and if they needed players. Schools with bigger rosters of returners probably wouldn’t take a freshman. But a team that graduated a lot and needed to fill out the roster would take one or two freshman if the coach saw them as making the team. I would guess most coaches would prefer to take only returners given every one else has yet to make the team.
Seems right
So what's the deal with this Watch List..... I see a bunch of names missing from it and a bunch that I am surprised they are on it......
Completely useless. They are based on nominations by a club or high school coach. Lacrosse Magazine and All America by CSE are a complete joke.

3 of the best 2024s in the country who are local aren’t on the CSE list. But Gerstell’s coach got 3 of his HS players, including his daughter, and 2 from his club team included. Guess what? He is one of the coaches for the AA teams.
Completely useless. They are based on nominations by a club or high school coach. Lacrosse Magazine and All America by CSE are a complete joke.

3 of the best 2024s in the country who are local aren’t on the CSE list. But Gerstell’s coach got 3 of his HS players, including his daughter, and 2 from his club team included. Guess what? He is one of the coaches for the AA teams.

And for you 26 players this year , you have only 19 spots to try out for. His daughter and 2 others that help him evaluate already have their daughters on the list. Sounds like the best 26 kids are going to AS anyway. The other regions are loaded there. DK can take any kids he wants and win AA since they aren’t as deep at Maryland.
Watch lists are only meant for players and parents, they serve no purpose for recruiting. And with a single grad year containing probably 3,500 players, how on earth can you expect anyone to accurately compile an accurate list? Definitely some top names on that list, but not all inclusive.
So what's the deal with this Watch List..... I see a bunch of names missing from it and a bunch that I am surprised they are on it......

What watch list are you referring to?

This is so true

Lisa and parents can nominate themselves too. Of all the lists and rankings in lacrosse, this one is the most useless.
Seems Maryland United lives rent free in your head.

Typically its because someone was cut.

Why ? They are not a real threat to anyone in Baltimore at any age group. The are mid with TLC , Checkhers and Renegades.

Lisa and parents can nominate themselves too. Of all the lists and rankings in lacrosse, this one is the most useless.

They reached out to every top 30 or so club director and asked them to nominate 2 players. Notice how there are exactly 2 players for every club but on. You can apply, but I doubt if anyone gets in just by application.

Making a watchlist can be helpful if you play on a club noone has ever heard of. But for kids on top clubs, coaches will watch their games next year regardless.

Why ? They are not a real threat to anyone in Baltimore at any age group. The are mid with TLC , Checkhers and Renegades.

They are better than that. Same level as SW, Coppermine, Integrity and Hero's B.

But they aren't beating M&D, Heros or Capital anytime soon.

LOL.

Tell me you don't follow club sports without telling me you don't follow club sports.

Unless your kid is on M&D or Hero's Green, you've watch her team lose to MDU. If you're kid was on M&D or HG, you'd know better. Very likely your kid is on some club that doesn't even get into the same tournaments as M&D, Hero's & MDU. I mean I do kinda like that Beach Blast in Rehoboth more than middle of nowhere NJ in June though so you got that going for you.

This is so true

LAcrosse Magazine, list of 26 players. I think its pretty accurate. Lots of talented girls left off but the list isn't complete so I would say that's fine. MD is a bit underserved but lets see what the whole list looks like.

Unless your kid is on M&D or Hero's Green, you've watch her team lose to MDU. If you're kid was on M&D or HG, you'd know better. Very likely your kid is on some club that doesn't even get into the same tournaments as M&D, Hero's & MDU. I mean I do kinda like that Beach Blast in Rehoboth more than middle of nowhere NJ in June though so you got that going for you.

So MDU best team is 27. The program overall is average. And beach blast is for the below avg teams to hang at the beach only. Don’t be afraid of the tournaments with the good teams.
Yeah, useless if your daughters names not on it you mean.

Go to a tryout and tell them your daughter’s name is on it and see if it helps! It’s totally useless unless you wanna frame and show the friends in your pickleball group.

I watched 180 play SW at mid-atlantic. Lost 6-3 but were clearly outclassed. Unless 180 didn't bring its full team to midatlantic, they will at best be ranked around 20. The gap between them and the top DMV teams (M&D, Heros, Capital, SW, Coppermine) is still significant.

They had 2 players who could probably start on any MD team, a few other decent players, but top to bottom not even close to a top team.

Nobody says 180 is a top team. They are in that 15-20 range. I don't believe they have a full time goalie, relay on guest players. They can beat teams in that 10-20 range and likely will a few times. Like a lot of non hotbed areas, they have great athletes still working on lax skills and IQ.

Go to a tryout and tell them your daughter’s name is on it and see if it helps! It’s totally useless unless you wanna frame and show the friends in your pickleball group.

I think you are confusing "value" with its credibility. Its a nice resume builder, that gives it worth. If you follow 2027 close at all, you would have a hard time not agreeing with the names selected. These lists lead to other lists and maybe at end of day it helps get them more eyeballs, which at this point, is the goal.

I'm not sure why people have to be so nasty either, is to the anonymity? Congrats to those girls. I hope to see more local names added soon.
My point is anything that gives your daughter a little shine has value. If the list isn’t flooded with Maryland payers it must be bogus, right? 😂
My point is anything that gives your daughter a little shine has value. If the list isn’t flooded with Maryland payers it must be bogus, right? 😂

Let's remember that this is a website reinventing itself trying to get clicks. It is in the site's best interest to include girls from as many clubs as possible to increase clocks.

For instance, the fifth best player at M&D is probably better than the best player on Charlotte Style (ranked #32). But the site likely gets more clicks for including the Charlotte girl.
What list are you looking at? I don’t see any Charlotte Style player?
I think you could say that about any of the top 5-10 teams.
Another big pickup for SW. A top middle from Alliance who was on the Lacrosse Mag watch list. For a team already much improved, this is a massive add.
Another big pickup for SW. A top middle from Alliance who was on the Lacrosse Mag watch list. For a team already much improved, this is a massive add

Is Alliance a Club or just a national team? Will she be duel rostered on both teams?
What is that 16 new players on SW in since Summer of 2022?
Another big pickup for SW. A top middle from Alliance who was on the Lacrosse Mag watch list. For a team already much improved, this is a massive add

Is Alliance a Club or just a national team? Will she be duel rostered on both teams?

So much for SW not caring about winning in Middle School because they focus on developing girls. If SW truly developed girls at younger ages- why the need for so much turn over right before HS? Clearly SW isn’t concerned with developing younger teams with 16-18 new girls within a year and a half. They have always been about letting other clubs develop girls and getting them for HS already developed.
Look. SW is a good team. Adding a good player is great. Are they gonna compete with M&D and Hero's for top team honors in the DMV? No, of course not. But there is nothing wrong with being a good team.

With that being said, not sure what the original poster was trying to accomplish. If it's just information....then great. If they were trumpeting their big pickup as some sort of huge "add"...then that smells of desperation to remain relevant in the public eye.
Look. SW is a good team. Adding a good player is great. Are they gonna compete with M&D and Hero's for top team honors in the DMV? No, of course not. But there is nothing wrong with being a good team.

With that being said, not sure what the original poster was trying to accomplish. If it's just information....then great. If they were trumpeting their big pickup as some sort of huge "add"...then that smells of desperation to remain relevant in the public eye.

SW might be the 3rd best team in MD at the moment. MDU would be but not with the injuries they've had.
SW has a fantastic recruiting reputation but its clear they rely on other clubs to develop (some out of state). At this point, HS, wins & rankings don't matter. Its all about recruitment.

M&D
Hero's Green
SW
MDU
Coppermine
All are teams with a lot of D1 talent that coaches are going to pick over. You can't go unseen on these teams.

No, but I think this additional could enable them to compete with Cap Blue.

No. She won't pay on Alliance. According to my daughter all the good players on Alliance left except for the goalie and the granddaughter of the owner.
Not an Alliance Dad, but there are still plenty of talented girls on that team. I've watched them play, while they certainly lost some great talent they have strong talent remaining. Unless of course the floodgates open, which would be unfortunate.
My daughter dropped travel soccer after 8th grade and kept travel lacrosse. Best thing we ever did. She had a great time playing with her high school soccer team this fall and soccer was actually fun again. I don't know how a kid plays two travel sports plus plays those same two sports for their high school if that is indeed what kids are doing.

As for lacrosse, I could see Aces slip a little. They are super talented and fun to watch, but some of these middies I'm seeing at 5'8, 5'9 are going to run Aces over unless they've grown. Maybe I'm wrong...
Any guesses on when UA 150 will update with this years rosters? I know we had to commit last week? Any one with personal experience with it willing to offer their opinion? My daughter is excited for it.
Any guesses on when UA 150 will update with this years rosters? I know we had to commit last week? Any one with personal experience with it willing to offer their opinion? My daughter is excited for it.
detest to burst your bubble but ua150 is probably the worst event we have ever done as far as the lacrosse games themselves. It is selfish play, up and down talent as they try to be regional but it means there are girls who struggle to catch, and other girls who struggle to pass as they are used to just going to goal. On the bright side, best swag and the combine is pretty cool for the girls.

You won't here until late May/June unfortunately.
detest to burst your bubble but ua150 is probably the worst event we have ever done as far as the lacrosse games themselves. It is selfish play, up and down talent as they try to be regional but it means there are girls who struggle to catch, and other girls who struggle to pass as they are used to just going to goal. On the bright side, best swag and the combine is pretty cool for the girls.

What is the acceptance policy into this event? Was there a tryout, video submission or just apply and get invited? The combine aspect of it seems really interesting but this other opinion doesn’t make it sound like the best get accepted. Is it a big money grab that is expensive? Which events over the summer are the best in peoples opinion based on experience with their kids, older kids or friends that have done them in the past? Any still open to attend this summer?
In the FS v YJ game FS had 5 starters out including the starting goalie is what I heard when I was there.
Best in Class and UA150 are the preferred to attend followed by NB All American. American Select is 90% YJ coaches and players. Juniors open and players open may be good in a few years.
Best in Class and UA150 are the preferred to attend followed by NB All American. American Select is 90% YJ coaches and players. Juniors open and players open may be good in a few years.

Best in class is head and shoulders better than any other. Kids are coached up and play top players from other regions.
Ua150 and Jr open are similar. They are ok. Costly but really only games.
New Balance is good for Baltimore but talent is lacking in most other regions as American select has locked up top clubs.
UA150 is just a money grab. 1/2 the girls barely can catch! Save your money and go on vacation.
Any event without an actual trial is definitely a money grab!
Any event without an actual trial is definitely a money grab!

“Tryout”
Everything is a money grab. Till this coming fall. Then it may matter.
Any disappointments from girls not making varsity as a freshman?

No. Mind yo bizness

For 90% of girls, not making varsity at a top team is a blessing. Sitting on the bench and barely getting practice reps won't help development.
Yeah, practicing against some of the best girls in the country isn’t a good thing. Right.
Yeah, practicing against some of the best girls in the country isn’t a good thing. Right.

Assuming you even get practice reps. Some top IAAM team will give lots of reps to reserves, a majority don’t if you aren’t in the top 16 played in the rotation
A few coaches are getting long in the tooth.

Who are the potential new coaches at places like NDP?

Assuming you even get practice reps. Some top IAAM team will give lots of reps to reserves, a majority don’t if you aren’t in the top 16 played in the rotation

McD notorious for this under TC according to DD club teammates.
Is NDP getting new coaches?

Maryvale just as bad. "15 minutes of stickwork then 2 hours of watching starters play 7v7 on the sidelines"
Is NDP getting new coaches?
No. Quit the whining.

Not true from someone whose daughter played for TC at McDonogh as a Freshman.

Also, TC is no longer there.
Wow! Rude! The question was asked in a previous post “who the new potential coaches were at NDP. I was asking a question. Isn’t that the purpose of this forum?
Very few freshman can help in the Iaam! Most have to learn how to play. They should go back and make it mandatory that unless a freshman starts they should be on jv ! Too many parents think they have the answers and they really know nothing about lax. They should stand on the sidelines and just keep watching practices !

If you want to play as a freshman don’t go to a top school!
Or maybe the politics should stop and put the best kids on the field.

Maybe cut a bigger check. Buy that playing time.
There are "a lot" of freshman on IAAM teams at moment, but lots of great freshman on JV too. Seems it was dependent on schools, some just don't want freshman on varsity for a variety of reasons. Other schools seem to be shorthanded and "need" freshman on varsity.

NDP with no freshman on varsity is a bit shocking given the talent they left on JV but its also a huge school so they can live with it.
I fully expect them to be frontrunners for JV because of it.
There are "a lot" of freshman on IAAM teams at moment, but lots of great freshman on JV too. Seems it was dependent on schools, some just don't want freshman on varsity for a variety of reasons. Other schools seem to be shorthanded and "need" freshman on varsity.

NDP with no freshman on varsity is a bit shocking given the talent they left on JV but its also a huge school so they can live with it.
I fully expect them to be frontrunners for JV because of it.
NDP has had freshman on varsity before and never even saw the field until their Senior year. What's the purpose of being on varsity then? Just to say you made Varsity? And then get to stand on the sidelines for 3 years. fool in my opinion.

Sure thing daddy! I bet you aren’t hard to find on the sideline! Take your resume and go talk to the coach about how to best use your kid over the others that let their kid earn it. The people you are griping about have won lots of games. You haven’t. You can always come back in a few years when your daughter is dominating as a freshman in college and tell them you knew better too.
Maybe the assumption that if you're on the "A" team at these top clubs you will automatically make varsity is wrong. Somehow in parent's minds it preordained that their girls will leapfrog others and go to varsity . Its obnoxious
Maybe the assumption that if you're on the "A" team at these top clubs you will automatically make varsity is wrong. Somehow in parent's minds it preordained that their girls will leapfrog others and go to varsity . Its obnoxious

Who makes varsity has as much to do with the HS and the needs of that varsity roster than the freshman ability. I think on every club, you have examples of top players on JV and the bottom kids on a varsity. Some kids will gain confidence they needed others will think they are better than they are.
So true it’s funny when people who put name on a varsity roster but didn’t even make team. McDonogh inside lacrosse roster vs actual McDonogh website varsity roster
So true it’s funny when people who put name on a varsity roster but didn’t even make team. McDonogh inside lacrosse roster vs actual McDonogh website varsity roster

IL isn't a roster. It's just the girls that go to that school so it includes everyone, including JV.

If you give a HS on your profile it adds you to the IL school database. Seems like every 2027 had profile loaded last summer.
If you play in any IL sponsored tourney, your registration info gets uploaded into their recruits database.

And it always asks what hs you attend.

There are lots of annoying things parents do in lacrosse.

This is not one of them.
Looking at rosters, lots of 2027s on varsity, which ones are already making an impact?

Is this many on varsity typical or is this an unusually good year for talent and or opportunity?

I do see plenty of top players on JV in IAAM too.
There were lots of freshman on varsity rosters around the league last year. This class isn’t better than any previous class. Making the team isn’t the same as contributing.
There were lots of freshman on varsity rosters around the league last year. This class isn’t better than any previous class. Making the team isn’t the same as contributing.

I feel like there are not as many freshmen on the rosters as there were last year. It will be interesting to see how many either actually play or make an impact this year.

Comparing to last year's class isn't fair to these girls. Almost every club director will tell you that the 26 class in MD/DC is probably the best in the past 6 or 7 years.

Still tons of strong girls in this class who will make an impact by the time they are upperclassmen.
Anyone else's freshman having a completely miserable experience of HS lacrosse and is having their love of the sport @ChillLaxin out of them on a daily basis and your only concern is this doesn't bleed into club summer, or is it just mine? I talk to some parents and it seems either their kid is playing more than ever and dominating or the kid is either doing a ton of watching or just not enjoying it?
I hear you. My daughter is a 27 and made Varsity. She has moved up to a starter and contributes with ground balls, etc. but does very little in the way of dodging and shooting (Which is her strength). It's ball hog city by the upperclassmen. I can't for the life of me figure out why the coaches haven't corrected the selfish behavior? Underclassmen are literally wide open for high quality looks and don't get the ball?? It makes for really bad, poor IQ lacrosse. The drama is over the top too. Many girls are just plain mean??? My daughter can't wait for club. I keep telling her to contribute any way she can, and her time will come. I will be sure to tell her NOT to play this way when she is an upperclassmen. When I hear about the "strong culture" of clubs/teams/college programs, I think this may be what they are talking about. Older players mentoring the younger ones not screaming at them. Oh well, it will be over in a month.
Don’t assume it will get better next year.
I hear you. My daughter is a 27 and made Varsity. She has moved up to a starter and contributes with ground balls, etc. but does very little in the way of dodging and shooting (Which is her strength). It's ball hog city by the upperclassmen. I can't for the life of me figure out why the coaches haven't corrected the selfish behavior? Underclassmen are literally wide open for high quality looks and don't get the ball?? It makes for really bad, poor IQ lacrosse. The drama is over the top too. Many girls are just plain mean??? My daughter can't wait for club. I keep telling her to contribute any way she can, and her time will come. I will be sure to tell her NOT to play this way when she is an upperclassmen. When I hear about the "strong culture" of clubs/teams/college programs, I think this may be what they are talking about. Older players mentoring the younger ones not screaming at them. Oh well, it will be over in a month.
Not sure what level of school your daughter plays at, but if she made V as a freshman and is contributing at all, she and her parents should be happy and proud. Don't worry about the other players. I think the sentiment of looking forward to club season is common at this point. The friendships and game play are more strongly developed there. Everyone understands their roles more on their club teams. HS coaches have a really tough job of trying to blend 4 different age groups and get them to work together. The talent and personalities change every year, and they typically lose a few of their strongest players (seniors) every year. Not easy.
I think it’s what the girls make of it. Those that are playing JV rather than riding the V bench are getting plenty of PT. Those riding the Varsity bench are getting to practice with older girls and still develop. Those playing Varsity are getting to best of both. My daughter is loving her Freshman year and says plenty of her Club teammates are having just as amazing season with many different schools. She is excited for Summer Club but definitely sad to see her first of four HS years come to an end shortly. Sorry to hear not all are having the good experiences others are having this year. I can personally attest all of my daughter’s teammates have been great as have the other parents & coaches on both JV and Varsity.
I agree that it can be a really rough go for some. The speed and physicality can take some time to adjust to and no one can really predict their daughters trajectory. I think that's where good parenting comes in. It's a great life lesson to develop some resilience and adversity. It certainly frames how bad they (not us) want it.
© US Lacrosse Community Forum