Originally Posted by Anonymous
"The miserable rate is quite high because many parents push their kids towards schools that show interest so they can verbally commit and then share the YJ sidelines with pride. Lacrosse is a part of the conversation but it shouldn't be the #1 factor as it is for most."

Typical toolbag, thanks for telling us the #1 factor in most kids choice as to what college to attend, as if you have any idea what went into those choices. You people are such a bunch of losers you cannot stand that kids go to schools that you could have only dreamed about. How about you support the kids from Long Island in their college choices regardless of the club they are from. Please give us a few examples of these YJ kids that picked a school strictly based on lax, such a loser.

YJ players tend to have a higher rate of being on a roster for the full four years; definitely a factor of skill level. But the LI average of players who on the roster for the full four years is about 55% (over the last 15 years).

I agree that lacrosse, or any other talent, is a great way to get into a dream school (it could be fencing, the chess club, etc. An applicant needs to distinguish themselves over the thousands of applicants a school receives). I see a Northwestern example being thrown around; if lacrosse helped that student get into Northwestern that is the best result. Or Harvard. Or Williams. But if you have a bright student but goes to a lower academic school just to play D1 I believe you have missed an opportunity. Lacrosse is a niche sport and for 99.9% of the students college will be last time they play.

Any D1/D2 team sport is a huge commitment. You generally give up any other activity that college provides; studying abroad (in semester), certain internships, "college life". Even D3 can be a tough going. A NESCAC school, Washington & Lee or Haverford are tough schools academically. But they do provide opportunities not available to D1/D2 students.

I hope no one picks a school strictly for a sports program. I personally have never met such a person. I have met parents who will direct their child to the school that offers the best financial deal. That is a family dynamic that is real. In most cases it is academic workload vs athletic workload that burns out a student.