I can see how it can be a conflict of interest or better yet perceived as a conflict of interest.

Here is my stance as a parent in the middle. Anyone who coaches my son should get paid. HS and Travel coaches do not get paid very much. I have no problem with a skilled coach trying to gain $$. If he is good the kids will want to play and the parents will want to pay.

My town school coaches do not interfere with the youth programs. I wish they did; they have been invited. Our town has a great core of boys in the odd Grad years and can be augmented with a handful of amazing players in the even grad years. My town also has dedicated and knowledgeable dads to help (that is at times also a problem - the reason the school coaches were asked to help). But the town school coaches keep a distance till HS.

How I see this as an issue is when the town does not have a good group to work with. When that happens the better players do not want to stay in town and the parents (doing as they should as parents) try to put their child in the best position possible so their child does not play down to the town level. (might be to harsh of a statement but you understand)

In this case, I believe the best way for the player to get better (and not get surpassed once puberty happens) is to train, play and work harder with players of or above their ability. In particularly with a vast array of players OUTSIDE OF THE TOWN.

Now I will say I wish my school coaches got involved, but I also think there is plenty of time/room/weekend to fit both travel and school in but I am sure there will be some who say be careful what you wish for.