Originally Posted by Anonymous
Friends and Family...please try and keep up lol

I'm a newbie to girls LAx and the obvious passion and competition between travel programs (or shall I say pissing contests here on some of the forums), my child is a 2021 and a fairly new player (1 year, but has progressed due to athleticism and desire to get better because she loves the sport so passionately ). Reading this forum makes me hesitant to join any of these teams. But as a Varsity Head Coach (of another sport) and my own success as an athlete, I know the focus will be on helping my daughter keep focused on what is truly important and helping my daughter to understand and realize that sport is a process of self-improvement and the self-satisfaction that comes with that. That will be my job as a parent.

Financially I can afford to provide her with opportunities to participate and fortunately my daughter is realistic about where she stands skills wise (as am I) and understands that the benefit lies in the practice and playing with better competition will make you better. I also understand that the possibility of discouragement exists, but as a parent I must remind her that the goal is to improve and be observant enough to show her how she is improving week to week. I must model how to set realistic goals for herself that she can realistically reach, and help her celebrate those achievements in small but meaningful ways.

I am sure we will end up on a "developmental team" but isn't every team a developmental team until they get into High School?