Originally Posted by Anonymous
Going to the best academic school you can get into is definitely not the answer in many situations.Pick the school that best fits you,ie. a school with kids and coaches you like, a school that is the right distance from home for you,a school with the weather you like, a school that is the size you want , the list goes on and on.Many if not most schools have honors programs so if the academics in general are not up to your standards that's a possibility. If you are planning on going to graduate school you may sometimes be better going to a school you can flourish at then to a school that may be very difficult academically.There is way more to it than go to a school that you would not have gotten into without lacrosse. Yes we all get there is something to you need to plan for life after lacrosse but there is also something to be said about following your dream, if that dream is winning a national title so be it.
An excellent and well balanced post - thank you for sharing your perspective. I would like to contribute one additional point worth considering.

As mentioned previously here on BOTC, my coaching career saw me place my regional and national players in their chosen NCAA Division I, II, and III schools in soccer. One of my players attended Sacred Heart University on an extensive athletic and academic scholarship resulting in virtually no cost to her family for her undergraduate career.

During her studies, this well-rounded young lady decided that she would major in Biology and subsequently study towards a Physician's Assistant degree. Despite a 3.6 undergraduate GPA, she was rejected from many of her chosen graduate schools and has enrolled in a program which is seen as academically weak in her discipline with no other options available.

Why are we sharing this story? With less out-of-college employment, competition for graduate school positions, particularly in health care trades, is increasing. Before recommending a softer academic institution, be very aware of what doors that college can open - or close - for you in your next steps.