Permissible Communication

Q1: What steps must a Division I student-athlete take to speak to other schools about transferring?
A1: Division I student-athletes must complete the Division I Transfer Module and notify their current school in writing of their desire to be entered into the NCAA Transfer Portal. Student-athletes may not speak to other schools about transferring directly or indirectly through others (e.g., family member, scholastic or nonscholastic coach, advisor, former teammates) until they receive notice that they have been input into the Transfer Portal. Please consult the Division I Notification of Transfer resource.
» Undergraduate students: The majority of undergraduate student-athletes in Division I may only be entered into the Transfer Portal during the sport-specific transfer window for their sport. A campus compliance administrator will clarify when an undergraduate student-athlete is able to be entered into the Transfer Portal during a particular time of year, including whether any exceptions apply to a student-athlete’s circumstances (e.g., their head coach takes a new job).
» Postgraduate students: Student-athletes who are on track to complete their undergraduate degree by end of the year (e.g., two semesters) may be entered into the Transfer Portal at any time.

Q2: What happens if communications occur with athletics staff or boosters at the Division I school to which a student-athlete ultimately transfers prior to when the student-athlete first appeared in the Transfer Portal?
A2: Communicating with another Division I school’s athletics staff prior to entering the Transfer Portal can jeopardize a student-athlete’s future eligibility at that school.
Existing recruiting rules prohibit communicating with a student-athlete who is enrolled at another Division I school prior to the student-athlete appearing in the Transfer Portal. These rules extend to indirect contact made by third parties on the student-athlete’s behalf (e.g., family member, scholastic or nonscholastic coach, advisor, former teammates). Certain violations of these rules can constitute a significant breach of conduct as it
relates to the NCAA infractions process.