Originally Posted by Anonymous
Today’s elites will plateau and most will catch up or surpass them over the next 5 years. Puberty hits HARD, good or bad so thinking a 10 year old is an elite lax player or a subpar one is completely pointless. Everything changes, tons of team movement over the next several years so teams change constantly. If you think club is taking away the fun… I suggest you look for another club. He could also just play PAL and will still likely make the school team in a few years. It should be fun, hard work but still fun. Otherwise why spend the time & money? The kids with a love and passion for the sport will always come out on top. I will say that ANY kid who wants to play in college absolutely can. Between DI, DII, DIII, NAIA, JUCO and club, there is a place for every skill level. Kids have one childhood, make it an enjoyable one! Good luck!

Couldn’t disagree with this take anymore. Great athletes don’t pop up out of the blue. This isn’t football where puberty/size might make a big difference. The ELITE kids now will absolutely be the top kids 7/8 years from now!

You are saying the elite kids in 4th grade are a good predictor for the elite kids as juniors and seniors? Wow. Just wow. I guess your message to the kids is if you aren’t elite by 4th grade but you want to play high level college lacrosse you might as well give up. Good lesson for life. I’m going to go out on a limb and say skill level at the 4th grade level is a poor prognostic indicator of future success. That being said I also don’t agree that todays elites will plateau; some will go on to be very good.[/quote]
Today’s elites will plateau and most will catch up or surpass them over the next 5 years. Puberty hits HARD, good or bad so thinking a 10 year old is an elite lax player or a subpar one is completely pointless. Everything changes, tons of team movement over the next several years so teams change constantly. If you think club is taking away the fun… I suggest you look for another club. He could also just play PAL and will still likely make the school team in a few years. It should be fun, hard work but still fun. Otherwise why spend the time & money? The kids with a love and passion for the sport will always come out on top. I will say that ANY kid who wants to play in college absolutely can. Between DI, DII, DIII, NAIA, JUCO and club, there is a place for every skill level. Kids have one childhood, make it an enjoyable one! Good luck!

Couldn’t disagree with this take anymore. Great athletes don’t pop up out of the blue. This isn’t football where puberty/size might make a big difference. The ELITE kids now will absolutely be the top kids 7/8 years from now!

You are saying the elite kids in 4th grade are a good predictor for the elite kids as juniors and seniors? Wow. Just wow. I guess your message to the kids is if you aren’t elite by 4th grade but you want to play high level college lacrosse you might as well give up. Good lesson for life. I’m going to go out on a limb and say skill level at the 4th grade level is a poor prognostic indicator of future success. That being said I also don’t agree that todays elites will plateau; some will go on to be very good.[/quote]

4th/5th grade is a good indication. Not end all be all but definitely good indicator.