Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am going a lot off topic here but curious on your thoughts - do the best athletes/lacrosse players in the 5th grade mean they will be the best in the 10th? How important is player development at the club matter versus the time and the practice kids do on their own? Or does it not matter at all and that when these kids go through puberty will the differences show between a good athlete and a great one? My son is 10. He just wants to play lacrosse and have fun with his friends but sometimes I feel like club has taken the fun out of it. Why can’t the town leagues play year round and against other town leagues? I get playing against tougher competition but does it really matter in grade school? My kids all play for different clubs and I wonder why I do this. I want them to be part of a team and worry if I don’t start the sport now they won’t make their high school team. Club was created in part for college recruiting so why are 3rd graders doing it? And at the end of the day, it’s the top 1/3 of the roster of the top 50 club / lacrosse high school that gets recruited anyway.

Today’s elites will plateau and most will catch up or surpass them over the next 5 years. Puberty hits HARD, good or bad so thinking a 10 year old is an elite lax player or a subpar one is completely pointless. Everything changes, tons of team movement over the next several years so teams change constantly. If you think club is taking away the fun… I suggest you look for another club. He could also just play PAL and will still likely make the school team in a few years. It should be fun, hard work but still fun. Otherwise why spend the time & money? The kids with a love and passion for the sport will always come out on top. I will say that ANY kid who wants to play in college absolutely can. Between DI, DII, DIII, NAIA, JUCO and club, there is a place for every skill level. Kids have one childhood, make it an enjoyable one! Good luck!

This post is spot on. A good example -- take a look at pretty much any Crabs team over the past 5 years. Only 2-3 players that are on a Crabs 4th grade team will still on the team in 8th grade. The kids with a love and passion will always come out on top.