I would disagree that there are "no offers". There isn't written "sign on the dotted line" offers but there are definitely handshake or verbal or wink-wink offers that happen in D3 all of the time. Otherwise it would be pure chaos on Early Decision day or college acceptance day.

There are verbal commitment offers all the time. What usually occurs after interest has been shown from both parties, the student usually goes through a "pre-read" to make sure they meet the academic requirement. If all parties agree, then the decision is to apply Early Decision as your "commitment" Could either party renege on it? Sure, because it is not binding. I also know kids who got rejected Early Decision due to some disconnect. But it is still an offer; its just a non-binding offer. I agree with the high school coach above who says it is not a contract offer and D3 definitely recruits student athletes. There are a few schools where athletics do not help at all (MIT comes to mind as I am sure there are others) but even they recruit and have prospect days. I think the other person who posted "if you feel the need to tell people your son got a D3 offer then you are doing him a disservice and part of the problem...we need to stop the ridiculousness of kids "accepting" D3 roster spots and saying they are any type of offer as it leads to confusion, accusations and a lot of unnecessary drama" is actually themselves doing a disservice by saying nothing happens verbally until college acceptance is had. But I do agree with the rest of what he had to say about financial aid, scholarships and roster spots etc. But an offer is still an offer (even if non-binding) whether it is done on paper, verbally, carrier pigeon or via smoke signals...