Originally Posted by Anonymous
Some stats for LI Lax fans to digest.

Over the past 10 years only 5 teams from Long Island have ended the year in the top 25 poll 5 times or more.

In a national level 18 programs have done this. Darien and Deerfield have done it the most consistently at 9X.

Some great programs like Jamesville Dewitt Summit and St. Ignatious, etc. are left out as they have only finished in the top 10 poll 4 times in the past decade. Manhassett does not fit.

So, here are the Long Island teams :

Chaminade 8X
St. Anthony 7X
Ward Melville 6X
West Islip 5X
Garden City 5X

Haverford, McDonagh,Boys Latin, Delbarton, Georgetown, Calvert Hall, Landon, Conestoga, Gillman,Culver, and LaSalle all are in this class 5X or more. So we have some storied programs in this company.

So, my questions....

Is the better program the one that's in the top 10 the most times but never finished #1?
(Chaminade)

or,

Is the better program the one that finished #1, but runs hot and cold and is in the top 10 less consistently?
(Garden City, Ward Melville, West Islip)

I think several years ago West Islip would have fit into both categories and been a clear winner, but they have not ranked in the top 25 in the past 5 years. Is their best behind them for Scott Craig and his team?

5 years would be a more relevant barometer as to which programs are currently the strongest. Any program that has not made the list at least a couple of times in the past 5 years can not be considered a top program.

Off the top of my head I would guess

Garden City, Cold Spring Harbor, Ward Melvile, Chaminade and St. Anthony's Maybe Manhasset, SWR? Syosset, Massapequa?